General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For anyone that did or wants to sand down their needles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For anyone that did or wants to sand down their needles...

I'm going to start my needle/cluster LED project this weekend and I've been trying to find what people are doing to see their clear needles on their SE gauges...
I've found posts where people would just paint the tips or sides of the needles.

What I'm curious about is, can I paint the TOP of the needle in red? Not a solid red, but that transparent red. Either Sharpie or hobby paint or something. I mean since the needle will be transferring the color and light of the LED anyway I should still be able to see the bright glow from the sides and bottom and top, right? Plus, this way I can see the needle perfectly during the day.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM

if you use a sharpie, during the night, you wont be able to see it well man.
find a way to paint behind it.
Sand the back portion down and repaint the back.
Good luck!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:27 PM

I guess what I meant to ask is how do you guys w/ sanded needles and white gauge faces see your needles in the day?
Read below.

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
if you use a sharpie, during the night, you wont be able to see it well man.
find a way to paint behind it.
Sand the back portion down and repaint the back.
Good luck!
I'm sorry, I don't follow. You say sand down and repaint. However, in all the threads I've ever read regarding sanding down, the purpose was to keep it clear so that at night the LED would make the needle glow. I also thought that sanding the bottom and painting the top would still illuminate the needle all around it since the light would bounce down off the gauge face. If I'm just going to repaint the bottom, why should I sand it?

I mean, the needle is only painted on the bottom, right?
So maybe what you're saying is that if I sand the bottom and repaint it red (instead of that orange it is now) the needle will be red but at night the light would glow through the top (so I can see it better) and the sides, but only a little through the bottom.

But I won't be able to fit a sharpie under the needle and I don't want to deal w/ recalibration that's why I thought about using a trasparent red paint (picture red cellophane) on the top of the needle so that it would still technically be "clear" ...sort of. And it would allow me to see the light on the sides, bottom and some through the top.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:46 AM

well that is what i meant, to repaint the back portion with whatever color you want to be. but if you dont want to deal with taking out the needle and such, good luck on your project.
i've never seen a needle painted on top so i cant say it will look bad, just for my personal judgement i just thought you wouldn't be able to see the needle at night.
anyhow....good luck.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
well that is what i meant, to repaint the back portion with whatever color you want to be. but if you dont want to deal with taking out the needle and such, good luck on your project.
i've never seen a needle painted on top so i cant say it will look bad, just for my personal judgement i just thought you wouldn't be able to see the needle at night.
anyhow....good luck.
Thanks for you input, I appreciate it. I'm going to first put the LEDs in and see how it looks. After that, I'll decide on the sanding/repainting process. This way, I'll know how I should proceed.

I remember reading one post by geo something - sorry I forget the member's .org name - that had a really bright red needle b/c he not only put an LED under the needle but also put LEDs into the optics of the gauge. The only thing I don't know is whether his needles were completely sanded down and were clear during the day or if he sanded and repainted them.