General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got my CD Changer installed - almost

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got my CD Changer installed - almost

I got it hooked up to the stereo and the cable run to the trunk...just have to mount the charger somehwhere.
Got to leave something for tomorrow !

Love it, finally a CD changer....it only took me three years !

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=80898

Old 01-03-2002, 06:46 PM

How did you run the cable to the trunk? Is there a guide somewhere?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Bill Wattison
How did you run the cable to the trunk? Is there a guide somewhere?
What I did was removed the door sills and lifted the carpet up and ran the cable under the carpet and also removed the bottom part of the rear seat so you can run the cable through the arm rest and into the trunk. You dont have to but I took out the passenger seat so I can run the cable straight to the Fm modulator which is located under my ECU.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:42 AM

Welcome to the changer world !!!

Just curious, how come you didn't go with the in-dash changer? Cost about the same, and it's within reach. Have fun.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:18 AM

Yeah vinipux has a good deal on changers. I think I might pick one up from him someday. Have any troubles installing it?

SuDZ
Old 01-04-2002, 10:33 AM

No problems on the install. I think it took less than 2 hours.
There was a link for instuctions on how to remove the center console, and that worked great !
I pulled the little panel off at the foot of the passenger well, ran the wire under the glove compartment and down the A pillar.
Then pulled the door sills off the front and rear door. Also removed the rear seat (real easy-no tools required-just two ring, pull and the seat releases).
There was a wire duct along the passenger side of the car, you just have to pull the carpet back a little. I ran the cable along the duct to the rear, with the rear seat removed you can see a huge hole going to the trunk.
Bingo....remove the cheesy panels from around the trunk and mount the Changer.
I have the non-bose stereo, this deal came around, so I just jumped on it.
What are the in-dash changer units going for? Not that I am going to change now......
Old 01-04-2002, 11:18 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 2DMax
No problems on the install. I think it took less than 2 hours.
There was a link for instuctions on how to remove the center console, and that worked great !
I pulled the little panel off at the foot of the passenger well, ran the wire under the glove compartment and down the A pillar.
Then pulled the door sills off the front and rear door. Also removed the rear seat (real easy-no tools required-just two ring, pull and the seat releases).
There was a wire duct along the passenger side of the car, you just have to pull the carpet back a little. I ran the cable along the duct to the rear, with the rear seat removed you can see a huge hole going to the trunk.
Bingo....remove the cheesy panels from around the trunk and mount the Changer.
I have the non-bose stereo, this deal came around, so I just jumped on it.
What are the in-dash changer units going for? Not that I am going to change now......
Where in the trunk did you mount it? I mounted mine up top (under the rear deck) and it was a bit of a pain because it didn't line up with any of the factory holes.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
Just curious, how come you didn't go with the in-dash changer? Cost about the same, and it's within reach. Have fun.
Me and my sister's 96 GXE have the in-dash, 6-CD genuine Nissan changer, from Grubbsauto.com about half year ago. $119 including shipping that was an unbelieveable good deal to me. The only complaint from me, if any, is the time interval between any two CD's. It takes 20 seconds. Perfect otherwise.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:27 PM

That is a good deal...and a long time.
This one is not that bad, less than 10 sec between disks

Originally posted by jiaxima96

Me and my sister's 96 GXE have the in-dash, 6-CD genuine Nissan changer, from Grubbsauto.com about half year ago. $119 including shipping that was an unbelieveable good deal to me. The only complaint from me, if any, is the time interval between any two CD's. It takes 20 seconds. Perfect otherwise.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:28 PM

I plan on mounting in on the rear deck, and will drill new holes to get it where I like it. I noticed the other holes don't line, go figure !

Originally posted by ejj5875

Where in the trunk did you mount it? I mounted mine up top (under the rear deck) and it was a bit of a pain because it didn't line up with any of the factory holes.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:31 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 2DMax
I plan on mounting in on the rear deck, and will drill new holes to get it where I like it. I noticed the other holes don't line, go figure !

Ah, I misunderstood. I though you had already mounted it. Sounds like a good plan, that's what I did and it worked fine.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:36 PM

Where does it get mounted in-dash? Does it take over that little drawer under the bose setup?

SuDZ
Old 01-04-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Where does it get mounted in-dash? Does it take over that little drawer under the bose setup?

SuDZ
Well my GXE is not a Bose one, but a cheap, standard 4-speaker system.
Below the original radio/tape unit and above the flip-down storage, there was a pocket. I took it out and put in the in-dash CD changer.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:34 PM

Below the original radio/tape unit and above the flip-down storage, there was a pocket. I took it out and put in the in-dash CD changer.
Oh ok gotcha now.

SuDZ
Old 01-04-2002, 03:57 PM

Ditto, same setup. I've got a 95 SE w/ the non-Bose.

Has the stock 1U-DIN cassette (made by Clarion), and I put the changer in place of the open-pocket. Kept the flip-down pocket

Yeah, there's about a 15-20 second delay between discs, but I prefer the delay over having to change the discs in the trunk. Too much trouble IMO.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:39 PM

Ran the wires and connected everything last night, just had the changer sitting on the trunk floor...till tonight.
Just finished mounting it....done !
Rock on !

Originally posted by ejj5875

Ah, I misunderstood. I though you had already mounted it. Sounds like a good plan, that's what I did and it worked fine.