General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2016 maxima top speed 134 is that it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM

2016 maxima top speed 134 is that it?

Hi,just wondering if anyone with milage on there 2016 has taken it for a max speed spin. I just had to give mine a shot,sense it has such a good feeling from launch to 100 mph,i was rolling along at 80 on our interstate up north where there was no traffic,and let it go,pulled to 6,000 and shifted fine every shift,but only to 6,000 not 6400 max rpm,and it topped out at 134 gps speedo analog was right at 135,so is this everything this motor has,or did they detune it on top to not go past 135 mark,it does have V rated rubber for 149 mph not that I think this car will ever reach that speed,cause I don't,and to be honest I am very happy it can run 134 very impressive for a family 4 door IMO,so if any one has higher speed please post,if need be I can post the GPS.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:31 AM

I think almost all automatic Maximas after a certain year have a speed governor that limits the car to about 130 or 135. Then it comes to power and what gear ratios will allow without a governor. So I'm sure the 2016 has a limit right around the same level of speed. It will just sort of cap off RPMs when you get to it. No idea how that might work with the CVT, but I'm sure it's about the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Ya,thats what i thought to,now dont get me wrong 134 is very good speed,out of a 300 hp car that weighs nearly 3600 lbs.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:26 PM

This was a hot topic of discussion a few years back in the 4th Gen forum. Someone discovered that if you cut a wire to the ECU, the car wasn't limited. Cutting the wire caused the CEL to come on, so if you didn't like having the CEL on, you put a switch in the wire.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
This was a hot topic of discussion a few years back in the 4th Gen forum. Someone discovered that if you cut a wire to the ECU, the car wasn't limited. Cutting the wire caused the CEL to come on, so if you didn't like having the CEL on, you put a switch in the wire.
Dennis can you exsplain what is the CEL,this is my first nissan max,i dont reakly want to go cutting wires on a brand new car. Did the guys who did that mod on the gen 4 have luck getting more top end,and rpms?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:28 PM

CEL is just short for Check Engine Light, or the Service Engine light, alerting you that you have an error code saved in your cars computer since it's reading that something is wrong. Mechanics can use a computer to easily read the code to find the problem. Essentially, if you cut that wire, it will detect that it is not making a connection through that cut wire and will alert you in the form of a CEL on the dash.

I wouldn't suggest even thinking about cutting any wired to remove the limit, haha. In general with the past CVTs, I'd be wary to push their limits, even if the new 8th gen Maxima CVTs are better.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
CEL is just short for Check Engine Light, or the Service Engine light, alerting you that you have an error code saved in your cars computer since it's reading that something is wrong. Mechanics can use a computer to easily read the code to find the problem. Essentially, if you cut that wire, it will detect that it is not making a connection through that cut wire and will alert you in the form of a CEL on the dash.

I wouldn't suggest even thinking about cutting any wired to remove the limit, haha. In general with the past CVTs, I'd be wary to push their limits, even if the new 8th gen Maxima CVTs are better.
Thanks for the exsplanation,i 100% agree,i would never think of doing any cutting on my new 2016 car,as it is i think they have this engine stretched near its max anyway,IMO its an awsome engine,the whole design is just awsome,i love this car the more i drive it,man this adaptive cruise control,is the nuts,my wife and i love its feature,sense i run my cruise 90% of the time,even in city driving,this is made for that kind of driving,set it and forget about it,dont worrie,it will stop if it needs to lol
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mnmsnowbeast
Dennis can you exsplain what is the CEL,this is my first nissan max,i dont reakly want to go cutting wires on a brand new car. Did the guys who did that mod on the gen 4 have luck getting more top end,and rpms?
Since Cotozic explained what CEL stands for, there is no need for me to repeat him.

The wire that got cut was the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire from the transmission. This did allow the the 4th and 5th gen Maximas to go faster. I believe the car could get up to something like 145 mph with the wire cut.

But you have a car that is a lot newer and with a different type of transmission, so it could be entirely possible that your car accomplishes this differently
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mnmsnowbeast
..........so if any one has higher speed please post,if need be I can post the GPS.
Let's not and say we did. Encouraging high speed driving is a
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

^^^^

Stationary high speed is a little safer ..

Still had 1 more actual gear

Name:  Speed_1A_zps8493e182.jpg
Views: 4500
Size:  73.2 KB

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-25-2015 at 09:59 AM.