General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

More Nitrous Problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:49 PM

More Nitrous Problems.....

ok...so I got my high flow fuel pump....and I got my adjustable FPR...so everything should be all good right????
WRONG

my problems started back with my old fuel pump...it basically died...was only pushing out about 55 psi with my 50 shot...so I got a Walbro Fuel pump...and my problems went the OTHER direction...now I was running at 100psi on a 50-shot...and WAY too rich during everyday driving....SO...I bought a SARD adjustable FPR (thanks Thomas!)...and that fixed my N/A rich problem....I also got some different jets to try and lower my fuel pressure on spray....well now I'm all the way up to a .082 fuel jet on a .036 (70-shot) NOS jet, and I'm STILL only down to about 85 psi on the juice...PLUS the juice hits really nice...but then acceleration starts to pulsate....fuel pressure sitting at 85psi the whole time. I tried cleaing out that little screen right before the first solenoid tonight...and that did no good...anybody got any ideas on how to actually LOWER my fuel pressure and fix the rough acceleration problem???

BTW - bottle pressure during all these runs it between 950 and 1000 psi.....
Old 02-07-2002, 08:31 AM

bump
Old 02-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Pulsate...sounds like a soleniod problem. Make sure your connection going to the solenoids are good. Maybe it's ignition problem? Try close your gap on your plugs. Close them to .035". Try those two and get back to us.

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
ok...so I got my high flow fuel pump....and I got my adjustable FPR...so everything should be all good right????
WRONG

my problems started back with my old fuel pump...it basically died...was only pushing out about 55 psi with my 50 shot...so I got a Walbro Fuel pump...and my problems went the OTHER direction...now I was running at 100psi on a 50-shot...and WAY too rich during everyday driving....SO...I bought a SARD adjustable FPR (thanks Thomas!)...and that fixed my N/A rich problem....I also got some different jets to try and lower my fuel pressure on spray....well now I'm all the way up to a .082 fuel jet on a .036 (70-shot) NOS jet, and I'm STILL only down to about 85 psi on the juice...PLUS the juice hits really nice...but then acceleration starts to pulsate....fuel pressure sitting at 85psi the whole time. I tried cleaing out that little screen right before the first solenoid tonight...and that did no good...anybody got any ideas on how to actually LOWER my fuel pressure and fix the rough acceleration problem???

Old 02-07-2002, 09:16 AM
Banned

Check out this URL. This guy has somewhat the same problem as you. I have actually taken apart my pressure regulator today and put some vaseline on as he suggested.
Anyway just a suggestion hope it helps.

http://www.nitrousinfo.com/Brisson.htm
Old 02-07-2002, 11:24 PM

thanks for the tips guys...I'll look into the plugs and the Nitrous Regulator....I am now suspecting that my plugs are pretty much fouled since I've run through two bottles of NOS running REALLY rich....

Anyone have any tips on how the hell I should go about bringing my FP on the bottle DOWN.....I'm already up to a .082 fuel bypass jet...and I don't know how much bigger their jets get....
Old 02-08-2002, 11:40 AM

anybody???
Old 02-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anybody???

they make 'em bigger than .082 fyi. i ran a .087 before. get a chance to pull your plugs yet?
Old 02-08-2002, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

they make 'em bigger than .082 fyi. i ran a .087 before. get a chance to pull your plugs yet?
got a chance to pull one plug...but this was NOT after an NOS run...and it seemed to look normal...except for a little ceramic colored chunk on the white section...and it was a little rough on the ground strap...I found the white little chunk kinda odd...it was pretty small...but it was there...and I've never seen anything like that on my plugs before...I'm going to get some new plugs, gap them to .035 and run an even bigger fuel jet...maybe .91?? I'll let you guys know...
Old 07-28-2002, 10:38 PM

Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

WRONG

Did you ever fix your rough acceleration on the bottle? I'm having that problem now.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:45 PM
SLOW

Haha no. A sticky injector caused his motor to blow and he had to swap in a new one. He's not running nitrous any more... saving for an SC and just bought a VI.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:53 AM

Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Originally posted by Iron Lung
Did you ever fix your rough acceleration on the bottle? I'm having that problem now.

Actually YES....I stopped using $hitty plugs....I went from Bosch coppers to NGK coppers that were one step colder than stock....everything was great after that...until I had an injector freeze up while spraying and fried some piston rings.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:15 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Actually YES....I stopped using $hitty plugs....I went from Bosch coppers to NGK coppers that were one step colder than stock....everything was great after that...until I had an injector freeze up while spraying and fried some piston rings.
Thats just another reason I switched over to Nitrous Express. It uses stock fuel pressure so the chances of injector freeze up are the same as when N/A. All those problems associated with the high fuel pressure while running NOS are eliminated.

The setup is very simple and you just have to install the recommended jets for your car and thats it, no tuning whatsoever, its Jime proof. I have tried all shots from 35 up to 125 and the fuel ratio is bang on.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

I put in one step colder denzo plugs before the nitrous. How many miles did you have when your injector locked up?
Old 07-29-2002, 07:15 AM
My 4DSC

thanks for the tips guys...I'll look into the plugs and the Nitrous Regulator....I am now suspecting that my plugs are pretty much fouled since I've run through two bottles of NOS running REALLY rich....

Anyone have any tips on how the hell I should go about bringing my FP on the bottle DOWN.....I'm already up to a .082 fuel bypass jet...and I don't know how much bigger their jets get....

they make jets over .100... i think i got a .110 laying around...

Old 07-29-2002, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Originally posted by Jime

Thats just another reason I switched over to Nitrous Express. It uses stock fuel pressure so the chances of injector freeze up are the same as when N/A. All those problems associated with the high fuel pressure while running NOS are eliminated.

The setup is very simple and you just have to install the recommended jets for your car and thats it, no tuning whatsoever, its Jime proof. I have tried all shots from 35 up to 125 and the fuel ratio is bang on.
I wish I would have known that before...when I was going to get my nitrous everyone told me NOT to get a wet kit.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Originally posted by Iron Lung
I put in one step colder denzo plugs before the nitrous. How many miles did you have when your injector locked up?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by My 4DSC

they make jets over .100... i think i got a .110 laying around...
this thread is from February....I'm selling my nitrous and gettting some boost
Old 07-29-2002, 10:47 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

this thread is from February....I'm selling my nitrous and gettting some boost
When are you selling and how much?
Old 07-29-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

When are you selling and how much?
Whenever I get up the ambition to remove the kit from my car....probably about 700 for EVERYTHING....including RPM switch, bottle heater, guages, etc.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

I wish I would have known that before...when I was going to get my nitrous everyone told me NOT to get a wet kit.
Me too, but I finally saw the light and switched.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Wow thats scary. I have 86,000 on mine. Tomorrow I'm going to have my fuel injectors cleaned and balanced. I also ordered new ignition coils. I have a new fuel pump and new colder plugs gapped down .005. I plan to start changing the oil and fuel filter alot more often.

Is there anything else that I should be concerned about failing and therefore blowing the engine?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:06 PM
Ramius83

LOL, you guys and your mileage lol. I have 156k on my 96 and have been spraying for over 2 years now lol, and no fuel problems related to the injectors. I guess I have just been getting lucky.

BTW, how do you convert a dry kit into a wet/direct port kit? I am wanting to do this soon since you can tune it a heck of a lot better and you don't really have to rely on bumping up the stock fuel pressure like you do on a dry kit.....Anyone know? Thanks guys...

Old 07-29-2002, 08:13 PM

You can just get the parts from summit racing or someplace like that. Everything is sold individually. You'll need new solenoids, nozzles, etc. Pretty much everything but the bottle, switch and main nitrous line.

Originally posted by Ramius83
LOL, you guys and your mileage lol. I have 156k on my 96 and have been spraying for over 2 years now lol, and no fuel problems related to the injectors. I guess I have just been getting lucky.

BTW, how do you convert a dry kit into a wet/direct port kit? I am wanting to do this soon since you can tune it a heck of a lot better and you don't really have to rely on bumping up the stock fuel pressure like you do on a dry kit.....Anyone know? Thanks guys...
Old 07-29-2002, 08:20 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Me too, but I finally saw the light and switched.
And I still say a single port wet kit is bad news.

EFI dry or direct port fogger systems are safer ways to go.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:11 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Originally posted by SR20DEN

And I still say a single port wet kit is bad news.

EFI dry or direct port fogger systems are safer ways to go.
Thats because you probably haven't tried both and compared. All I can say is been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

Why do you think a company like NX doesn't even make a dry kit?

They also have a lifetime warranty on their solenoids, ask NOS about their warranty.

The biggest reason NOS doesn't have a wet kit is that they couldn't design an efficient nozzle that would completely atomize the fuel so they decided to just spread the word that a wet system would puddle in the intake and cause backfires. They even print it in their manual.

BTW for anyone interested NX does make a conversion kit for anyone running dry NOS to the NX wet system.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:50 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Thats because you probably haven't tried both and compared. All I can say is been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

They also have a lifetime warranty on their solenoids, ask NOS about their warranty.

The biggest reason NOS doesn't have a wet kit is that they couldn't design an efficient nozzle that would completely atomize the fuel so they decided to just spread the word that a wet system would puddle in the intake and cause backfires. They even print it in their manual.

BTW for anyone interested NX does make a conversion kit for anyone running dry NOS to the NX wet system.
I am going to change over to a direct port fogger since my dry kit wont really do anymore for me. I spoke to NOS tech support today and wasn't pleased at all with the person on the other side of the phone. Not so much him but the way he described to me that NOS wasn't likely to work with me on my fogger plate project. So now it's time to turn tot he other nitrous companies. I have seen Nitrous Works kits and I liekd what I saw. I plan to call NX tomorrow and see if they're going to work with me and make my spray bar. If nothing else I am willing to switch over to their foggers.

Goodbye N.O.S.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Jime, what NX kit are you using? do you know the part number?
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More Nitrous Problems.....

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

Jime, what NX kit are you using? do you know the part number?
Part #20923 Import kit