General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Two Nitrous Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 05:20 PM

Three Nitrous Questions...

I've searched the forum and researched the web for the past four weeks, reading everything I can find about N2O and Maximas. I've learned a lot, but there are three questions that I still have:

1) From what I've read, If you hit the rev limiter with NOS it's a BAD, BAD thing. Because it cuts fuel, meaning you rgetting lots of Nitrous and Little fuel. I read that this only pertains to 5spds, and that with a window switch, it won't matter. I just can't afford the window switch yet. Now, with the NOS Fuel Pressure Safety switch, shouldn't the system cut off when there is no fuel pressure?

2) Is it safe to "Powershift" An auto (1-2-D-OD) when injecting the nitrous? This is sorta related to the above question, I mean you dont wanna hit the rev limiter or nothing.

3) Any Ideas about where to get and how to mount a set of steering-wheel push-button switches? I know they're sorta ricey, but they would provide better control for nitrous injection than just a switch.

I appreciate any responses, thank you.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Three Nitrous Questions...

Originally posted by 93_MaxSpeedMark
I've searched the forum and researched the web for the past four weeks, reading everything I can find about N2O and Maximas. I've learned a lot, but there are three questions that I still have:

1) From what I've read, If you hit the rev limiter with NOS it's a BAD, BAD thing. Because it cuts fuel, meaning you rgetting lots of Nitrous and Little fuel. I read that this only pertains to 5spds, and that with a window switch, it won't matter. I just can't afford the window switch yet. Now, with the NOS Fuel Pressure Safety switch, shouldn't the system cut off when there is no fuel pressure?

2) Is it safe to "Powershift" An auto (1-2-D-OD) when injecting the nitrous? This is sorta related to the above question, I mean you dont wanna hit the rev limiter or nothing.

3) Any Ideas about where to get and how to mount a set of steering-wheel push-button switches? I know they're sorta ricey, but they would provide better control for nitrous injection than just a switch.

1. Yes this would be a 5spd issue. I wouldn't run Nitrous without a window switch...wait until you have the extra $80. Not sure about the NOS safety switch, I don't use NOS.

2. I powershifted often with my Nitrous but stopped after I shifted in N by mistake and redlined it while spraying. I did no damage but I am afraid to do it again so I now drive normally.

3. The switches I can't help you with...NX is activiated only at WOT.

Erik
Old 02-10-2002, 11:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Three Nitrous Questions...

Originally posted by 93_MaxSpeedMark

1. no, because it cuts the injectors, not the fuel pump.

2. just don't hit the rev limiter.

3. greddy makes one. http://www.greddy.com/products/elect...itching_System
Old 02-11-2002, 01:14 AM

That is where a window switch comes into play, it will start and stop the N2O at a preset points. From what I read it will wear the tranny out quicker to spray during the shifts (this is when the VB mod comes in handy). It shouldn't be that difficult to mount steering wheel activation switches, you just have to be creative. Another alternative is to use the JWT controlled n2o program. All you need to do is wire the system and it takes care of the fuel/timing and n2o itself. To date it is the most reliable n2o controller for nissans.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:51 PM

Suppoase It doesn't matter anymore, cause I just ordered a NX Direct Port Injection kit.