General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My max redlines at 2000 rpm now! HELP ME! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 05:10 AM

Heres the original post:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...3&pagenumber=1
I tried unplugging the battery to get rid of that check engine light I got on thursday.. no go when I start it backup the light does go off for a sec or two and comes back on

While the car is park I can rev up to 2k rpm until the gas starts cutting off like if you hit redline.
If you put it in D or R while the car is cold it stalls.

My intake has been on forever but I did take it off to clean it and rotate it a couple of weeks ago.

Is there anything else I can do to debug the prob.
I don't know where to start.

If I do bring it to my local serafini nissan dealer should I take off the cone intake and put my stock back on?
Is the check engine light something that gets fixed under warranty, whatever the problem leads to?
Thanks in advance!

[Edited by Gr8bone on 11-20-2000 at 07:17 AM]
Old 11-20-2000, 05:27 AM

LOL nice sig pic!

I'm running out of options and heading towards going to the dealer. I guess once the stock box is back in place I can run that through the winter.
I should also ask them if there are any TSB's that apply to my car or if mine really needs the tsb's that are out there.

Originally posted by doug
yaah.. if you can.. put your stock intake back on.. then take it to the dealer and have them look at it.. while its still under warranty take advantage of that... as for a technical diagnosis.. I can't really help you with that one..
Old 11-20-2000, 05:28 AM
Vic

what happened to the 'all stock gr8bone'? intake now? see what you get?!!!
definitely bring it to the dealer with the cone off. hope you didn't snap any sensors while putting on the cone.
Vic
Old 11-20-2000, 05:35 AM

Peter take the cone off and put the factory box back on. that way the dealer can't say its out of warranty. just tell em this happined. don't say anything about a cone.
Old 11-20-2000, 06:30 AM

Your max is in fail safe mode......

I don't know about 5th gens but I do know that in my car this happens if the MAF, CHTS or fuel pump is bad. However due to the fact that it stalls when cold I believe either your CHTS (cylinder head temp sensor) or water temp sensor is bad. Chances are that its the CHTS though. Try measuring the resistance between the CHTS harness and the ECU.
Old 11-20-2000, 06:36 AM
Baron

check the wire harness that plugs into the side of the MAF(air sensor after the cone). If its not plugged in, or happened to come loose, the car will be in limp mode. Same exact thing happened to me. I cleaned my intake and reinstalled it, then when I took it for a drive, it wouldn't rev beyond 2K, like it was hitting a limiter. This may or may not be the problem, but it'll take you 5 seconds to check and save you the time and possible $ at satan(dealer)

Old 11-20-2000, 07:13 AM

LOL time to visit satan :)

nismo87se how do you measure the resistance between the CHTS harness and the ECU?

pioneer I will put the stock box back on tonight. no sense voiding the warranty over that and pay more money to get it fixed. I'll leave the FSTB on though.

Vic I didn't snap anything I've had my cone ever since Russ posted the deal for a $40 cone way back then when he had a max.

baron, I'll check my maf connection. your saying you ran your intake fine and it was afteryoucleaned it that it acted this way right after you put it back on? or a few days later? It was a week or two after I cleaned my intake that it did this. read the orig post for more details.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:14 AM

i had this problem a few days ago...

i posted on this BBS like 2 days ago that a few hours after i installed a brand new JWT pop charger i had problems. it was a cold night and the car would not pull past 40mph or 2,500rpm without stalling. so i limped it back home in 4th gear. i left the battery unplugged overnight. amazingly, the car started and operated just fine the next morning. however the check engine light was on..so i looked up the FAQ on how to reset the ecu and i did that manually with a screwdriver. the car drove fine the next night under the same cold temperatures. im going to drive it a longer distance today so i hope this was only a fluke which it should be. leave the battery unplugged overnight like the people said and reset the ecu by hand..see if that works. i am enjoying my intake and suspension mods now! (so far so good)
Old 11-20-2000, 09:14 AM

I thoguht Maximas had something called "Limp Home Mode", where if the computer sense something wrong with the engine, it electronically limits the revs to 2K, So that you can get home without damaging the car....?

I could be COMPLETELY wrong, however.
Old 11-20-2000, 10:22 AM

Re: i had this problem a few days ago...

Will andi's maxfaqs work on 5th gens? has anyone tried it?
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

vq...what gen max do you own?

Originally posted by VQdriver
i posted on this BBS like 2 days ago that a few hours after i installed a brand new JWT pop charger i had problems. it was a cold night and the car would not pull past 40mph or 2,500rpm without stalling. so i limped it back home in 4th gear. i left the battery unplugged overnight. amazingly, the car started and operated just fine the next morning. however the check engine light was on..so i looked up the FAQ on how to reset the ecu and i did that manually with a screwdriver. the car drove fine the next night under the same cold temperatures. im going to drive it a longer distance today so i hope this was only a fluke which it should be. leave the battery unplugged overnight like the people said and reset the ecu by hand..see if that works. i am enjoying my intake and suspension mods now! (so far so good)
Old 11-20-2000, 01:09 PM
Baron

peter-
on mine it happened right after i put the filter back on because i forgot to plug the wire harness back in. i just thought maybe the harness might not have been snapped on tight and after a week or so the may have worked itself loose(going over bump, potholes, etc..) and you're in limp mode(your car, not you =) ) But, if you've already put the stock filter on and plugged the harness back in correctly, I guess it's off to Satan =)

Old 11-20-2000, 01:42 PM

my car broke down again..

i tried driving it today..and the thing stalled on me..now it won't start!
Old 11-20-2000, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Pancor
I thoguht Maximas had something called "Limp Home Mode", where if the computer sense something wrong with the engine, it electronically limits the revs to 2K, So that you can get home without damaging the car....?

I could be COMPLETELY wrong, however.
99% it's the mass air flow sensor circuit. the car goes into fail safe mode and does not allow the engine speed to go beyond 2000-2400 rpm (varies from year to year and the engine).
Old 11-20-2000, 03:04 PM

my car won't even start now...

i tried the ecu diagnostics. this time its indicating an intake temperature sensor malfunction. i know it has to do with the mass airflow sensor. as of now, i'm worrying about how to get it started so i can bring her back home! all this because of a simple pop charger! wish i hadn't gotten it in the first place.