Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM

Well we did a comparison run, didnt plan to, it just happened. Road was long, straight, and EMPTY, so we went for it. I had one passenger in my car, he had two passengers (so that put him at a disadvantage).

We did a run from a 40mph run up to around 90mph...
we did a run from a stop up to about 105mph...

same results on both runs!

Prety much I jumped ahead cus of my torque, and his car fell back a little bit due to his ubber richness until 3k since he's still running the stock MAF, but after 3k when it switched to "tuning area" and the turbo started to spool.... he wasnt able to catch up to me, but he wasnt fallin back at all. From a roll he fell back about 2 car lengths and stayed there. From a stop his front bumper was right at my rear wheel and stayed there all the way to 105mph. It really was an amzing run.

I think if it was just the cars and drivers, I would still hop on him at launch, but he'd catch up to me, and possibly pass me by the end of the quarter mile. Its too close to really tell until we actually hit the track.

Just for a reference point, my car weighs 2960lbs (checked it at the scale at the track), 3.5L swap, 5spd, UDP, CAI, WS ypipe and straight pipe, and rough SAFC tuning.

When I dyno'd, I put down 220WHP-223WTQ, but that was with the current rough tuning (back then it was in the 11-12s still, no idea where it is now), an exhaust leak at the rear header, both head gaskets were blown, I had a short-ram intake, and a gutted cat FTL

Anyways, streetz car weighed IIRC 3250ish? at the track (please jump in and correct me if Im wrong), so of course to stay even with me at that weight, plus the extra ~250lbs of weight that he had against me, I'd make an edukated guestimation that he's somewhere in the 250-260WHP range as it is right now.

Cant wait until we go dyno. To see whats up! I still need to order my bpipe and new FPR before I do that though, and he needs his Z32 MAF and idk what else.

RMT>*
Old 01-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Yea it was very nice run. the first run which was from a roll. i wasnt expecting you to go for it, but when we floored it, my car went to 3rd (instead of 2nd) (because of the mph we were at) so rpms dropped below my turbos spool up range and thats why you just ran away from me., I wanna do this same race from a roll but me holding 2nd =)

from a stop, the lag is really hurting me. also i had more than 250lbs extra weight. one dude weighs mid 190's and s0ber weighs like 170ish, thats 360+ lb's. I think since we are pretty even, weight makes a huge difference.. I should be getting the z32 MAF, in a day or two, we shall do this again then. my closed loop a/f is very very rich thats why my launch is soo poor below 3k, once 3k hits, the car just becomes alive. so with the new maf it should be alot quicker from the line. btw the car weighed 3150 at Moroso.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for one of the runs from a stop, I got too excited and locked my toque converter too damn soon so i had an uber bog lol. then unlocked it n thats when i had to try n catch up to you. But eitherway, yea your wholeshot is still alot better unless i get a high stall torque converter (which I already called Edge to get info on, thanx gray99).

we should do a high way run
Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Yea it was very nice run. the first run which was from a roll. i wasnt expecting you to go for it, but when we floored it, my car went to 3rd (instead of 2nd) (because of the mph we were at) so rpms dropped below my turbos spool up range and thats why you just ran away from me., I wanna do this same race from a roll but me holding 2nd =)

from a stop, the lag is really hurting me. also i had more than 250lbs extra weight. one dude weighs mid 190's and s0ber weighs like 170ish, thats 360+ lb's. I think since we are pretty even, weight makes a huge difference.. I should be getting the z32 MAF, in a day or two, we shall do this again then. my closed loop a/f is very very rich thats why my launch is soo poor below 3k, once 3k hits, the car just becomes alive. so with the new maf it should be alot quicker from the line. btw the car weighed 3150 at Moroso.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for one of the runs from a stop, I got too excited and locked my toque converter too damn soon so i had an uber bog lol. then unlocked it n thats when i had to try n catch up to you. But eitherway, yea your wholeshot is still alot better unless i get a high stall torque converter (which I already called Edge to get info on, thanx gray99).

Heck no Im not doing that again. Next time we run it will be at Moroso Motorsport, not an empty street.... And definatly not on the highway (... maybe on the turnpike on the way back home after moroso, its dead empty in those parts, lol). Running from the PD is one thing, highway patrol is a whole other ball park, I dont mess with those! lol
Old 01-22-2007, 02:29 PM

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for one of the runs from a stop, I got too excited and locked my toque converter too damn soon so i had an uber bog lol. then unlocked it n thats when i had to try n catch up to you.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=332
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Old 01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

This is great! This is the first "tailpipe turbo" pioneer trying the Clutch_ON mod - in a race with another seriously modded Maxima. We'll skip the on-the-street part...

Streetz, you need to spray while boosting and clutching, and you have the radical-mods award for 2007 locked down !!!!

Now if I could just show up there to show you youngsters how to really get 'er done.......... Three stages of nitrous FTW !!

A side note - I had a postman from Larry The Cable Guy's home town visiting my home last weekend - he's my new brother-in-law. "Get-er-done" has a new meaning for me.... (Pawnee City, NE)
Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
This is great! This is the first "tailpipe turbo" pioneer trying the Clutch_ON mod - in a race with another seriously modded Maxima. We'll skip the on-the-street part...

Streetz, you need to spray while boosting and clutching, and you have the radical-mods award for 2007 locked down !!!!

Now if I could just show up there to show you youngsters how to really get 'er done.......... Three stages of nitrous FTW !!

A side note - I had a postman from Larry The Cable Guy's home town visiting my home last weekend - he's my new brother-in-law. "Get-er-done" has a new meaning for me.... (Pawnee City, NE)
yea, i really wanna get the lock up thing down. When I dyno (hopefully soon) im going to dyno with clutch ON, and clutch off to see how HP and TQ differ.

about rear mount turbo "pioneer", i have to accept, it was pretty crazy for me to try this lol, I never ever thought I would be turbo charged. I just ignored what everyone told me, about how it was going to fail and blah blah blah, and look at me now. it has been successful. The little kids on my block all somehow knew i was turbo charged and rear mount, i was leaving my complex and one of them goes "hey dude, ur cars is cool man, its been going around the neighborhood that your boosted now" and he saw the turbo and flipped out lol. Also yesterday, i was driving, and some hummer pulls up next to me and says "hey, is that rear mount dude? good job bro I give you props" lol i have no clue who the hell this guy is lol.

Alot of people have told me I should spray out the line to about 3k, and I dont know, i might be considering it since I already have nitrous kit, all i need is a new line since im using the nitrous line as oil feed..... hmmmmm IM DOING IT!!!!! screw you all beating me out the line lol. I think ill do a 50shot then cut it off as soon as boost comes in. =)

and grey it would be awesome for you to come down here and school us youngsters, I like learning from old school people, so your welcome down here when ever you like.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM

and grey it would be awesome for you to come down here and school us youngsters, I like learning from old school people, so your welcome down here when ever you like.

Knowledge is something valuable, no matter the subject. I wouldnt mind learning more about autos and nitrous and w/e you may know of old school V8s (Im a Chevy boi, dream car= 70 Chevelle SS, red with white double stripe *tim allen grolwn*).
Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

yea, i really wanna get the lock up thing down. When I dyno (hopefully soon) im going to dyno with clutch ON, and clutch off to see how HP and TQ differ.

about rear mount turbo "pioneer", i have to accept, it was pretty crazy for me to try this lol, I never ever thought I would be turbo charged. I just ignored what everyone told me, about how it was going to fail and blah blah blah, and look at me now. it has been successful. The little kids on my block all somehow knew i was turbo charged and rear mount, i was leaving my complex and one of them goes "hey dude, ur cars is cool man, its been going around the neighborhood that your boosted now" and he saw the turbo and flipped out lol. Also yesterday, i was driving, and some hummer pulls up next to me and says "hey, is that rear mount dude? good job bro I give you props" lol i have no clue who the hell this guy is lol.

Alot of people have told me I should spray out the line to about 3k, and I dont know, i might be considering it since I already have nitrous kit, all i need is a new line since im using the nitrous line as oil feed..... hmmmmm IM DOING IT!!!!! screw you all beating me out the line lol. I think ill do a 50shot then cut it off as soon as boost comes in. =)

Naw, you guys could whup me by then..... maybe ......

It is kinda cool (old school again!) to be different and recognized for it by strangers. It even happens to me sometimes..

And yes, you should spray up to where your boost kicks in. What a rush - spray, boost, TC clutch, shift_fast - man, that's a lot of sticks and plates in the air at the same time. What a video that will make!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

This is the dumbest idea ever!!

Just kidding. I am glad you did it and got it running, sorry I don't have the time to read all the thread, but wanted to say congrats on doing something different and I hope it works well for you!

Looking forward to times and dyno numbers. And I am sure you thought about it and I know you heard about it, but put a filter on that turbo, mount it in the wheel whell like the C5 STS kit if needed.

CONGRATS, Looks very cool.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 PM

DYNO Lets see some numbers!!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 96customax
DYNO Lets see some numbers!!
Soon. dont worry as soon as i dyon ill be posting here. I almost dynoed few days ago. but i realized it would have been a waste of money because im not really 100% where i wanna be. i still need to install fuel pump, check vave, z32 maf, and return with 7psi =)

im going to do with check valve right now along with the fuel pump =)
Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Bacon Lover

im going to do with check valve right now along with the fuel pump =)
Post pics of the check valve install if you can.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey can you possibly get a few pics of the pipes under the hood/under the front of the car?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 PM

I am going to be going to the track tomorow. BUT, it is only a 1/8. It is a new track that is being opened very close us here. rather than driving 1hr, we can now drive a few minutes to this new track. =) don kno if 1/8 with my setup will really tell anything, since my car performs better at highway or longer strip than 1/8. but just going to see how it goes.

I just put the z32 maf, and 255 fuel pump, and re-tuned. feels bout the same, im having alot of problems with my a/f at closed loop though. its really pissing me off, and its not turbo related. somethings wrong. while cruising, my a/f can be perfect at 14.7, then suddenly it starts going to like 17.5ish, and just bogs a bit and its just lagging, then suddenly jumps back down to rich and runs fine. i wont kno wtf can be going on. its not the maf, it has done this with 3 different maf's. don kno wat else.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 PM

What condition are your O2's in, miles, etc..?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
What condition are your O2's in, miles, etc..?
They are probably filled with oil and fuel. But if the o2's fail the ecu will make the mixture rich, not lean. so its not the o2's
Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Turbo 3.5

question ?, why would your o02's be filled with oil I thought you found oil in the charge pipe and the o02's are before the turbo
Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
question ?, why would your o02's be filled with oil I thought you found oil in the charge pipe and the o02's are before the turbo
oil in the charge pipe is coming FROM the turbo, INTO the motor then OUT the exhaust. When it goes out the exhaust it meets the o2 sensors. The vicious cycle of oil :-(
Old 01-28-2007, 08:31 PM

I went to the new track, and i hated it!!!! 1/8 mile is a POS!!! by the time my turbo was spooling up and the car started to build power the damn track had ended!!!! lol. i didnt even go into 3rd gear lol. I ran a 9.79@79MPH, these people didnt even provide a 60'. sigh! what a waste of time/money.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Turbo 3.5

I went to the new track, and i hated it!!!! 1/8 mile is a POS!!! by the time my turbo was spooling up and the car started to build power the damn track had ended!!!! lol. i didnt even go into 3rd gear lol. I ran a 9.79@79MPH, these people didnt even provide a 60'. sigh! what a waste of time/money.
good thing you still have the nitrous, you can set the nitrous to turn off at 3500rpms once you get your other problems fixed
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM

is the turbine a twin scroll? if so you can modify to spool earlier.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bernardd
is the turbine a twin scroll? if so you can modify to spool earlier.
twin scroll? im not familiar with this?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Single entry turbine vs. twin entry (twin scroll, dual scroll, etc.): http://www.machzracing.com/Maxima/Holset/hx7.jpg
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 AM

single entry. Most garrett T4 turbines (idk if all of them or not) are a large single entry
Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Kevlo for President

I run that NA, at 75mph tho
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Yea i kno, i ran a very slow 1/8. Actually my buddy s0ber ran like a 9.5 when he ran high 14 i belive, and 95blkmax ran i think a 9.8 when he ran a 15.2. Basically, im slower than n/a from the line lol. BUT, for some reason, although i have z32 maf paired with z32 injectors, my a/f is very very rich at 11.4 or even down to 8's and 9's under acceleration (thats the closed loop <3k rpm a/f) one it gets into 3k then a/f goes to w/e i tuned too, but before that, its a cow. I belive my o2's are dead.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Nice job on the install! I've been waiting for it to happen. Congrads. After reading this entire thread, I have afew bits of advice. What kind of fuel management are you running,and what kind of Fuel pressure reg? These sould be part of the reason for going rich and lean. On the topic of the air filter, just build a sheet metel shroud to goaround the bottom to where it only puts in air from the top, and your done. On the intake temps, I would be more concerned about what is happening on the exhaust side. Intake temps would not tell you if your about to burn the motor up, an EGT guage would give you twice as much information. You might not need an intercooler at all, just a bit more fuel.
Just make sure you get that oil prob fixed.
Mad Props!
Choray
Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by choray911
Nice job on the install! I've been waiting for it to happen. Congrads. After reading this entire thread, I have afew bits of advice. What kind of fuel management are you running,and what kind of Fuel pressure reg? These sould be part of the reason for going rich and lean. On the topic of the air filter, just build a sheet metel shroud to goaround the bottom to where it only puts in air from the top, and your done. On the intake temps, I would be more concerned about what is happening on the exhaust side. Intake temps would not tell you if your about to burn the motor up, an EGT guage would give you twice as much information. You might not need an intercooler at all, just a bit more fuel.
Just make sure you get that oil prob fixed.
Mad Props!
Choray
For fuel. I have vafc2, nismo afpr, and 370cc injectors (z32).

I dont think my problem is with the fpr, nor the vafc2. Because the leaning out problem happens below 3k only, where the vafc2 is not even making any adjustments. and the fpr is at 35psi constant. I just thought of something, that might vafc2 MIGHT infact be conflicting with the ecu. Im going to check my throttle %s on it to make sure.

after 3k, when vafc2 starts making adjustments. i have not leaned out, infact if I have no correctiosn at all. the a/f is extremly rich. Which is a good thing. i guess the injectors and nismo afpr are enough for 5psi.

for temperature. So do you suggest I get an EGT gauge?

Thanx for the props
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Yea i kno, i ran a very slow 1/8. Actually my buddy s0ber ran like a 9.5 when he ran high 14 i belive, and 95blkmax ran i think a 9.8 when he ran a 15.2. Basically, im slower than n/a from the line lol. BUT, for some reason, although i have z32 maf paired with z32 injectors, my a/f is very very rich at 11.4 or even down to 8's and 9's under acceleration (thats the closed loop <3k rpm a/f) one it gets into 3k then a/f goes to w/e i tuned too, but before that, its a cow. I belive my o2's are dead.

Get out your nitrous tank and shift_fast and go dominate that 1/8 mile track! Shoot for my 8.37 ET in the 1/8 mile! Use them slicks you've got stashed somewhere... That turbo stuff is too complicated for this country boy - OK, old man, but still too much work to figure out...

Actually, you're doing a great job there - keep thinking and you'll figure it all out ...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM

im not going to mess with the nitrous (just yet). I have to figure out what to do about my car being sooo rich below 3k. it might be my o2's.

Lets say I am getting cooler air from the piping distance, and turbo being open to atmosphere with no engine bey heat. A problem i see is that, when the piping comes up into the engine bay, and into the maf to the TB, all that piping gets VERY hot because of the engine bay's radiant heat AND because the pipe is directly behind the fans. If im getting cooler air coming from the back, once it goes up its goign to warm up since that piping up there is hot. Now my solution is to wrap all the piping in the engine bay with header wrap, or thermo tec wrap. Can someone give me any input on this. will it work?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM

im not going to mess with the nitrous (just yet). I have to figure out what to do about my car being sooo rich below 3k. it might be my o2's.

Lets say I am getting cooler air from the piping distance, and turbo being open to atmosphere with no engine bey heat. A problem i see is that, when the piping comes up into the engine bay, and into the maf to the TB, all that piping gets VERY hot because of the engine bay's radiant heat AND because the pipe is directly behind the fans. If im getting cooler air coming from the back, once it goes up its goign to warm up since that piping up there is hot. Now my solution is to wrap all the piping in the engine bay with header wrap, or thermo tec wrap. Can someone give me any input on this. will it work?
it would reduce the tendency of the tubing to heat-soak, so yes it would work. How effective it would be depends on what material/ layers you use. Front mount turbo have this problem alot more pronounced, since the heat from the turbo being right next to the charge piping after the IC heatrs the pipe.

I wonder if switching from metal and Aluminum tubing to plastic tubing such as PVC tubing (dont start flaming saying its a bad idea blah blah blah, if it can carry sewage without leaking, it sure as heck can carry boost as long as the couplers are on tight enough). This would lessen the heat-soaking SIGNIFICANTLY, perhpaps a difference of heat absorbsion such as going from aluminum USIM to plastic 00VI
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
it would reduce the tendency of the tubing to heat-soak, so yes it would work. How effective it would be depends on what material/ layers you use. Front mount turbo have this problem alot more pronounced, since the heat from the turbo being right next to the charge piping after the IC heatrs the pipe.

I wonder if switching from metal and Aluminum tubing to plastic tubing such as PVC tubing (dont start flaming saying its a bad idea blah blah blah, if it can carry sewage without leaking, it sure as heck can carry boost as long as the couplers are on tight enough). This would lessen the heat-soaking SIGNIFICANTLY, perhpaps a difference of heat absorbsion such as going from aluminum USIM to plastic 00VI
Thing is, I dont think PCV can handle that heat. and im not going to put no pcv under the hood!!!! lol
Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thing is, I dont think PCV can handle that heat. and im not going to put no pcv under the hood!!!! lol
PCV is positive crankcase ventilation.

I've seen PVC piping under hoods before of naturally aspirated applications. It does just fine. But I don't know how close this PVC piping will be to exhaust tubing on your car.

BTW, I figured you automatic guys would be interested to know that I'm selling my used BFG Drag Radials in 205/50R15
Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Dude that is GHETTO!!!! I like where your head is at, but that is just tacky.

I would go with a EGT rather than an intake temp sensor for several reasons.
1. What can a intake temp sensor really tell you. It might be 120 degrees, but that doesn't tell you what the engine is doing.
You can read inputs all day long, but without some quantitative output, the information is useless.
Now if you had a EGT, and WB02, to can get a good idea of what the engine is doing. If the EGT is aroung 1300 degrees, and the AFR is in the 13s, then you can see that if you add some fuel, then the EGTs will go down.
If the AFR is in the 10s or 11s, and the EGTs are high, then you might be able to retard timing a bit to get the temps down. If the AFRs are right, timing has been retarded, and the EGTs are still up, an intercooler or aftercooler might help.
If you live in a place that has a hot summer, the EGT readings will let you know if it is a bad idea to get into boost for the day.
I also use mine as a way to tell if it is safe to turn off the car with out baking the bearings inside the turbo.
Almost any car can be tuned with a EGT and a WB02.

Choray
Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM

1. What can a intake temp sensor really tell you. It might be 120 degrees, but that doesn't tell you what the engine is doing.
You can read inputs all day long, but without some quantitative output, the information is useless.
Now if you had a EGT, and WB02, to can get a good idea of what the engine is doing. If the EGT is aroung 1300 degrees, and the AFR is in the 13s, then you can see that if you add some fuel, then the EGTs will go down.
If the AFR is in the 10s or 11s, and the EGTs are high, then you might be able to retard timing a bit to get the temps down. If the AFRs are right, timing has been retarded, and the EGTs are still up, an intercooler or aftercooler might help.
If you live in a place that has a hot summer, the EGT readings will let you know if it is a bad idea to get into boost for the day.
I also use mine as a way to tell if it is safe to turn off the car with out baking the bearings inside the turbo.

Choray
cool. I already have WB02, so I should start looking into getting EGT gauge.

Finally the DYNO!!
I will most likely be dynoing today but I would like to know in what gear should I dyno. 2nd or 3rd. I have always done it in 3rd, but in 3rd and under boost theres going to be alot of load on the engine. I dont really kno.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM

3rd ......
Old 02-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Choray
Damn... that has to be the best explanation I've seen yet of using both of those together.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM

just curious...did you get your oil problem fixed? or did i miss that

Just wondering what check valve you got if any and how its working. (not very familiar with check valves) I found this that talks about the exact same problem on an ls1 fbody

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/remote_mount.html

just not very specific on which one he actually used.

-Dan
Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 PM

on that same forum, they say the exact check valve to use. thats wat i used. im a member on there lol.

DYNO

I have finally dynoed, how ever, it has been the worse spent $65 ever!!!!.
no a/f reading, after i read the run files at home, no TQ either!!!. turns out they didnt get a proper RPM signal and thats why there no TQ. also the WHP was based on the drums MPH. I dont kno how accurate it is to use the MPH to calculate hp.

I calculated the TQ myself and im at 230WHP, and 237 TQ.

Something tell me, not having an rpm signal will also screw up the HP reading. I really feel that my car has more than just 230.

Quick Reply: First ever Rear Mounted Turbo maxima