Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Kevlo RMT Turbo build -Works !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Kevlo for President

So I got it smoking less. But it still did. I looked at the vband clamp and there is some white/oily juice that was bubbling at the Vband???? Oil is clean and golden, coolant and nice and red. Could it just be the greases in the turbo burning away? Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Kevlo for President

Never mind, looks like condensation and oil. Ima let it burn off and see how it goes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Hella internets

Hmm interesting...

It shouldnt be smoking THAT much because of a little bit of oil...I pinched one of my return lines and FLOODED my piping...and got hella oil in my muffler...after cleaning it, it never really smoked much after that...and there was still some oil in the muff i think...lol

I guess let it run for a while...check your charge piping for excessive blow bi tho

Why are you checking your Coolant btw? im confused..lol
Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Kevlo for President

Wanted to make sure motor was still good I think it is smoking less now. I have put less than like 50 miles on it and only a handful of times in boost so I am hoping it is getting better
Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Wanted to make sure motor was still good I think it is smoking less now. I have put less than like 50 miles on it and only a handful of times in boost so I am hoping it is getting better
U need to go more into boost, the hotter the turbo gets the more it will burn off that oil. if u dont go into boost then that old oil just stays in there. So burn it off!! when i finsihed my engine my car was smoking as if something was broken, for like a week, turned out to be oil on the headers, random parts, just needed to burn off
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Kevlo for President

Alrighty, reran the return line to the pump, smoking ALOT less now(a few little puffs at WOT). Still smells a lil tho. Not 100% sure if the pump can handle it, I might have to upgrade the pump(350dolla!).
Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Alrighty, reran the return line to the pump, smoking ALOT less now(a few little puffs at WOT). Still smells a lil tho. Not 100% sure if the pump can handle it, I might have to upgrade the pump(350dolla!).
I told you the rerouting of the line should help. I still dont see why you need another pump man, iv had mine for 3 years!!! running daily, iv gone to tampa and back few times, went to disney, so long trips dont affect the pump. Something else is up with yo **** man. before you do anything try to bypass the switch and hardwire the pump to 12v.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Bacon Lover

So Kev I hate to be that guy, but could you ballpark how much this ended up costing you? Keeping in mind extra money you've spent due to your frustrations.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Hella internets

I agree with streets, i believe we all have the same pumps. And i think they are rather tough pumps and can seriously take some abuse...Thats the last thing i would look into.

As for the oil burning off, it takes a while. I drove my car pretty hard to burn off all the flooded oil when i pinched my return line to the pump when i had a ZX 5spd for my 510 in the trunk (STUPID mistake). IMHO i was still wiping oil off the back of my car almost 3 weeks after i had cleaned up the mess since the muffler was just full of it...

I ended up placing an inline filter that is see thru inline from the return line going from the pump to the tap i made in my Upper oil pan. That way i could "check" for flow and make sure that everything was pumping properly. I duno if you already did this, but if not u might want to...cheap peace of mind i guess...and it looks kinda kewl too haha
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Kevlo question (I dont feel like reading back lol), you said you had reran the return line. How was it routed prior compared to now? and also, what is your pump wired to?

My pump's relay was wired to the amp's power input and switched from the ignition, grounded to one of the mounting nuts for a rear strut
Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
Kevlo question (I dont feel like reading back lol), you said you had reran the return line. How was it routed prior compared to now? and also, what is your pump wired to?

My pump's relay was wired to the amp's power input and switched from the ignition, grounded to one of the mounting nuts for a rear strut
He had this big loop that would go from the bottom of the turbo, over it, then to the spare tire well. Once i saw that i told em to change it, straight from the turbos outlet to the spare tire well.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Kevlo for President

I've spent not too much more but more lol

Either my pump is bad or it's the turbo. I do not think it is the turbo since messing with the line made the smoke less. I already ordered a new pump that is made to scavenge so we will see how that goes.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Its good to know I'm not the only one with constant oil problems with the RMT. I rebuilt my turbo twice and I think its still leaking oil, (its hard to tell as i only just rebuilt and it could have been the residue oil in the exhaust, it seems to be leaking a lot less than it normally does at any rate. ) I've got a dedicated scavenge pump designed for the application, got an oil Restrictor, leaving the oil pump running for 3 Min after turn off.

I'm just hoping the second rebuild of the turbo does the trick.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Kevlo for President

What pump do you have?

Also XeroX, do you have pics of your piping to the pump?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM

What pump do you have?

Yo kev how long do you leave your pump running after car is off?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Kevlo for President

1Min 30sec, but my probs are under a load while driving, not startup
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Hella internets

What pump do you have?

Man, i cant remember off the top of my head i THINK its like a SureFlo 8800 or something?

Ima take my lunch break in like 30 mins and ill walk out to my car and find out what it is, as far as my oiling, you can c it in my avatar...it goes from the bottom of turbo to 90 deg elbow pointing straight back, then the line goes to a whole i drilled at the lowest point in the spare tire well...and the pump is just sitting there...from that point it goes out on the driver side back portion of the spare tire well then around again to the passenger side then back to the back of the tap i made to the uppder oil pan.

I hope you get the idea...But i really dont think the way you route the return line is that biga deal unless your pump cant keep enough pressure (that may be a problem, but i thought we all had the same pumps? hmm)

also, what size hose are you using? this could be an issue maybe urs are too small? I use i think 1/2 inch barb with 1/2 inch hose to the pump, then it goes out on a smaller diameter line...not much difference tho i just wanted more volume before the pump so that the oil had enough volume to collect while it got pumped...

Last edited by XeroX; 11-05-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Hella internets

my probs are under a load while driving, not startup
This is making me think that there isnt an issue with your oiling setup. This sounds more like a turbo issue...

If it only smokes under boost that is...

What size oil restrictor do you have? Have you tried knocking it down to a slightly smaller one?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Kevlo for President

I have a .047jet , after I reran the oil line the smoke was significantly less.

Smoking under a load makes me think it is the oil setup. Cruising on the interstate above 2600rpms makes it smoke when I let off the gas. This really has nothing to do with the turbo? I assumed the engine is pumping the most oil then and the pump cannot keep up.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM

You will know for sure if its an oil issue by placing a pressure sensor at the line between turbo and pump, if you see ANY pressure, then its backing up and you need to further look into why.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Hella internets

Hmm, wierd...

Well what size oil lines are you running from the turbo? Maybe going bigger from turbo to pump will do the trick? I duno if thats how streets has it...

I have a .040 (i think) restrictor...maybe you could try bumping it down to .044? I mean how much smoke are we talking about here? alot? or a little?

As for my pump i have the following:

Shurflo
Model = 8000-643-236
1.8 GPM
60 psi

What kinda pump do you both have? Specs would help since different brands may vary?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Kevlo for President

Running a 4an then the restrictor, check valve, to turbo. At WOT it is not much smoke but still smokes. When cruising it is ALOT of smoke and looks like the car is broken lol
Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Hella internets

Running a 4an then the restrictor, check valve, to turbo. At WOT it is not much smoke but still smokes. When cruising it is ALOT of smoke and looks like the car is broken lol
Well, i will admit i am no expert with this kinda stuff..

But if at WOT there is not that much smoke and usually i c pressures above 90psi at the oil sandwich plate. Why WOULDNT it smoke if there was still a oil system issue? If anything it should smoke more at WOT than at partial throttle...obviously at high pressure the system IS working.

Again, i am leading back to turbo issues. Seals only holding back oil while its moving rapidly rather than sitting and being somewhat stagnant therefore giving the oil time to spill thru the seals...Then again, im not an expert...just a thought..

But, i would try knocking back the oil restrictor to something a LIL bit smaller and c if it still happens...Or just try and get another turbo, u said yours had a 1 year warantee or something right? Didnt you get an Ebay turbo?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Kevlo for President

Yeah, I emailed them.

****in i dunno man ****s pissing me off.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Kevlo for President

Yeah, I emailed them.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 PM

I dont know how come you guys have so much oiling issues, well mostly Kev. My setup cant be much different then you guys. I got the same pump as Xerox as well as Kevlo. When i had the Garrett I used a .044 restrictor. Smoke was none, although as time passed I had to reduce the orifice size ending at 44 because it would start to smell like burnt oil, that turbo was beat on alot and was getting old. With the hx35, the first one. I didnt have smoking issues. I had the same .044 restrictor, or actually .052 I think. No smoke but the turbo ended up getting major shaft play and blade would touch the housing (still got no explanation as to why that happened), on this HX i have now. Its perfect. no smoking, no issues at all.

i got a -4an nitrous line feeding the turbo from the sandwhich plate, then the turbo's drain is a half inch SS line that goes right into the spare tire well and into the pump, from pump it exits into a 3/8th line which goes to the front along the same path as the fuel line, it also goes up into the engine bay along with the fuel line. I have had the 3/8th line untouched for 3 years so far.

Kev, I think it might be the pump man. Eddy had alot of smoking issues too and it didnt make sense, now you have the same issue and still dosnt make sense, considering you have changed turbos and still have problems, I say its the actual pump. for some reason its not running 100% properly.

Yeah, I emailed them.

DOUBLE POST FTL!!!

lol
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Kevlo for President

Double the pain!

Pump is on its way so I hope that does it
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Hella internets

Well then! I chime in without even having all the info! pshhh haha

I guess maybe it should def be the pump then...makes perfect sense now...or maybe i just didnt read the whole thread?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Hella internets

WOW, so tell me why my pump just stopped working today! just got a tow back to my house...lucky for me i noticed the smoke before it became a flood of oil everywhere! Time to buy a new pump!!!

I guess we are both in the same gheyfest kevlo

Where did you guys order your pumps? Ima start looking on ebay but i just got my pump from Grant when i bought the kit from him so i never asked where he got it...ughh
Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Hella internets

Just pulled the same one i have on ebay (at least the brand and specs are the same....looks like a slightly different label but i dont think it matters..

However i just read the specs and it specifcally state NOT to be use to pump oil...whats up with that?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM
KH3 by popular demand

http://www.shurflo.com/marine-produc...s/default.html

The pump you had is probably the same one you can use for meth/water injection. The shurflos in the link can be used for oil.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:45 AM

How is your return line setup off the pump. Meaning how far is the pump from the turbo. I had some issues (somewhat same thing) on my GSXR 750. I had the pump under the seat it smoked just alittle. So I moved the pump directly under the turbo ever since no smoke. Im running a shurflo not sure on model number. Just throwing out ideas hope it helps.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Hella internets

Well, I dont mean to start high jacking as i think this info might help us all out.

Im sure its been covered, however this was the only thing i didnt read into when installing my RMT since it was already working on the kit that i bought from grant...

Shurflo pumps are Diaphram pumps, and from doing some research is the same type of pump STS was using on their old kits, but this was causing them to go out and fail. Now they run Gear pumps, which are what we need to pump the hot oil out of a RMT setup. The down side is the price! They can go anywhere from 200-400 bucks

I guess Shurflo pumps are the only diaphfram pumps that have proven to last a bit longer than any other pump of that style for some reason...i cant find an answer for that..

Im still up in the air as to what i want to get, pay the extra money and do it RIGHT? or cross my fingers and hope that a new Shurflo will last...but i guess its just a waiting game with these things...
Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

That's easy, pay the extra money and do it right. IMO, if you follow the "Do it once, do it right" motto, you'll actually save money and headaches in the long run.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Kevlo for President

I went ahead and got the BEAST of RMT pumps.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...al_Cooler_Pump
Same as the TurboWerx pump. It is on order from overseas...

The other pump I would have bought is:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

I did not want a diaphragm pump so I narrowed it down to those, but I have seen GREAT reviews on the Mocals/Turbowerx EXA pump so I went ahead and got that. Wizard is right on just doing it right the first time. Lucky for me it was the pump that came with my "kit".
Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hella internets

Wow, well for 400 bucks i would expect the thing to make me dinner every night as well as pump oil! haha

I was debating getting this pump:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro....asp?RecId=156

Seems a little more cost effective, and its used to pump Differential fluid. Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Kevlo for President

Yeah the Mocal/Tilton/forgot other brand is a good pump too. But it is not a gear pump IIRC. Plus after the **** I went thru I figured I didn't wanna settle for anything less.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Hella internets

lol, i totally know what your talking about...im pretty pissed about my pump going out!

Now, are you running an inline filter between the turbo and the pump?

EDIT : Dunno why i didnt check this before, and im glad i just did. But i check power output to the pump and it was like .2 volts...ran 12v directly from the battery and the pump works perfectly..

Checked fuzes and they are fine...i think it might be my turbo timer...wtf? hella random, but i gota sort thru some of my wiring and isolate the problem completely...what a pain lol...

Last edited by XeroX; 11-07-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Hella internets

It is my turbo timer...I have one of those pen style ones, and the controller box that you hide behind the dash or whatever was warped on the housing in one spot (like you held up a lighter to it or something)...its still functioning and keeps my accessories on for whatever time i have it set at, but its just not sending 12v to my scavenge pump. Checked continuity to the pump and my wiring was good...

How wierd is that? Never heard of one of these things going out like this...oh well time for a new timer!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Kevlo for President

Lol nice, yea I have a Blitz TT, it is pretty good

Quick Reply: Kevlo RMT Turbo build -Works !!