3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Considering NOS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 05:35 PM
custmmax

I have done most of the mods so far that i can do for performance, intake, exaust, lighter wheels, etc, but now im left still wanting more out of my Se max. I raced a vtec integra the other day, a gs-R, and ****ed him off because he couldnt beat me, but i am considering maybe a 50 shot NOS system.. i dont wanna do the 100 shot, but how bad would it be for me to do this? from what i know so far, Nos would be alright as long as i dont A. use too much of a shot, and B. dont get too button happy or hold it down for too long. is this pretty much true? or what am i up against? i stopped in at NOPI today on my way back from Daytona Beach, FL., and they said the whole NOS kit would cost me about 500 bucks. Any one know anything to add to this thought?

Old 07-07-2001, 06:00 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well.....

you can get a compression test done to make sure the engine can still hold the added boost. and you'll have to retard the timing 2-3 degrees(from stock) and I wouldn't suggest you use "button activation" you should use a window switch instead, its more accurate and ensures accidental overuse won't occur which is possible with a push button activator. other than that do a search and you'll find out about all the gauges and extra add-ons you need.
Old 07-07-2001, 06:10 PM
custmmax

Re: Well.....

Originally posted by DA-MAX
you can get a compression test done to make sure the engine can still hold the added boost. and you'll have to retard the timing 2-3 degrees(from stock) and I wouldn't suggest you use "button activation" you should use a window switch instead, its more accurate and ensures accidental overuse won't occur which is possible with a push button activator. other than that do a search and you'll find out about all the gauges and extra add-ons you need.

hmm... could i skip the compression test thing if i know for sure that it doesnt burn a single drop of oil? odd i know considering that it has 153k miles on it, and still doesnt burn a single drop of oil.. how do you change the timing on a se maxima that has coil packs? is this something i should do anyways for more power?

Old 07-07-2001, 06:20 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

With high milage.....

I'd say thats even more a reason to do the compression test, just to be 99.9% sure...its real easy, you can even do it yourself(using a Compression Tester they sell at Jegs.com) as for "changing" the timing, when using NOS you will want to RETARD the timing DO NOT advance it since advancing it can lead to detonation when using nitrous.

Originally posted by custmmax
hmm... could i skip the compression test thing if i know for sure that it doesnt burn a single drop of oil? odd i know considering that it has 153k miles on it, and still doesnt burn a single drop of oil.. how do you change the timing on a se maxima that has coil packs? is this something i should do anyways for more power?
Old 07-07-2001, 06:44 PM
custmmax

Re: With high milage.....

I'd say thats even more a reason to do the compression test, just to be 99.9% sure...its real easy, you can even do it yourself(using a Compression Tester they sell at Jegs.com) as for "changing" the timing, when using NOS you will want to RETARD the timing DO NOT advance it since advancing it can lead to detonation when using nitrous.

how is the whole compression test thing done?
and what should it read?

Old 07-08-2001, 12:32 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Bascially.....

I think you just remove each spark plug, put the probe end into the plug hole and check the level of compression in each cylinder. now I'm not 100% sure thats how its done, but to some extent I think thats the process. you can always get it done at local repair shops and Nissan, if you're not sure.

how is the whole compression test thing done?
and what should it read?
Old 07-08-2001, 02:16 AM

You can buy the NOS kit from JC whitney for $375. Then you should order a JWT ECU with nitrous program, this would run around $950-995 depending on who you get it from.

I have done most of the mods so far that i can do for performance, intake, exaust, lighter wheels, etc, but now im left still wanting more out of my Se max. I raced a vtec integra the other day, a gs-R, and ****ed him off because he couldnt beat me, but i am considering maybe a 50 shot NOS system.. i dont wanna do the 100 shot, but how bad would it be for me to do this? from what i know so far, Nos would be alright as long as i dont A. use too much of a shot, and B. dont get too button happy or hold it down for too long. is this pretty much true? or what am i up against? i stopped in at NOPI today on my way back from Daytona Beach, FL., and they said the whole NOS kit would cost me about 500 bucks. Any one know anything to add to this thought?
Old 07-08-2001, 08:39 PM

Re: Bascially.....

I think you just remove each spark plug, put the probe end into the plug hole and check the level of compression in each cylinder. now I'm not 100% sure thats how its done, but to some extent I think thats the process. you can always get it done at local repair shops and Nissan, if you're not sure.

Dry test:
- engine fully warmed up
- plugs come out
- throttle plate wide open
- kill the fuel pump circuit (also helps killing the spark circuit, too)
- install compression gauge into cylinder #1
- crank the engine a minimum of 7 times; someone should be watching the compression gauge and take note of how the pressure builds

== with a strong engine, compression builds up quickly
== worn piston rings is shown by low compression on the first stroke followed by only gradual increases in the following strokes
== Low compression on the first stroke followed by NO compression gain in the following strokes is a bad valve(s) and/or blown head gasket and/or a cracked head
== repeat process on the rest of the cylinders

I can do the procedure for the wet test but I'm feeling lazy tonight after typing all that stuff above.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:04 PM
custmmax

Re: Re: Bascially.....

Originally posted by got rice?

Dry test:
- engine fully warmed up
- plugs come out
- throttle plate wide open
- kill the fuel pump circuit (also helps killing the spark circuit, too)
- install compression gauge into cylinder #1
- crank the engine a minimum of 7 times; someone should be watching the compression gauge and take note of how the pressure builds

== with a strong engine, compression builds up quickly
== worn piston rings is shown by low compression on the first stroke followed by only gradual increases in the following strokes
== Low compression on the first stroke followed by NO compression gain in the following strokes is a bad valve(s) and/or blown head gasket and/or a cracked head
== repeat process on the rest of the cylinders

I can do the procedure for the wet test but I'm feeling lazy tonight after typing all that stuff above.
how mucgh might it cost to have this done somewhere?

Old 07-11-2001, 11:29 PM
Matz

Re: Re: Re: Bascially.....

It would probably be a bit expensive for everything to be done. If you figure that they've got to remove the intake and drill and tap it for the NOS cheater valve input, swap the ECU (should be fast), and do the tuning, at $75/hour it may be a bit pricey. I had JWT do mine, and they charged me $1000 for everything, including the NOS hardware and installation. But that was a special deal because they used my Maxima as the test platform for their 3rd generation NOS enabled ECU, so I didn't get charged for any of the labor.

Old 07-12-2001, 07:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Bascially.....

$100ish for the compression test.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:52 AM
TerribleTed

Dude do you still have the yokohama avid H4 tires? They are in your sig... if so I would SERIOUSLY get a better set of tires first... Tires are the #1 thing that can change how your car performs.... get a set of real performance tires like Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Yokohama AVS-I... heck anything better than an all season tire..... You will be amazed at the difference.

Old 07-12-2001, 04:35 PM
custmmax

Originally posted by TerribleTed
Dude do you still have the yokohama avid H4 tires? They are in your sig... if so I would SERIOUSLY get a better set of tires first... Tires are the #1 thing that can change how your car performs.... get a set of real performance tires like Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Yokohama AVS-I... heck anything better than an all season tire..... You will be amazed at the difference.
um... yes it might be an all season tire, but it was rated a 5 out of 5 for traction and control.. i could smoke the old tires i had on there, with these, they grip like hell and i like that.
http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-A...Avid__H4?sp=i2