3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

transmission problems

hi i'm new here
i have a 91 maxima, automatic,
it has a rough idle until warm up to "working temperature" and when i accelarete it trembles and seems to force when changing speeds if someone can help me to what the problem is and what can i do it will be great
i change the motor and transmision holders but that did not fix the problem
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 PM

check the MAF. does the exhaust make a PUTT PUTT PUTT sound as well? if its making a PUTT PUTT sound it may be your injectors

with the shifting force, hows your tranny fluid?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
check the MAF. does the exhaust make a PUTT PUTT PUTT sound as well? if its making a PUTT PUTT sound it may be your injectors

with the shifting force, hows your tranny fluid?
doesn't make the sound just change the fluid 6 or 7 months ago
a friend that also had a maxima told me that it was the wrong fluid
i used a bardahl dex II mercon
Old 08-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello i have a 92 Maxima gxe car ran fine with new tps,wires plugs cap and rotor,also new fuel injectors. I got error code 51- 2 weeks before the pump went completely out. water pump had a slow leak then went out completely, it overheated very briefly under 3 minutes before i parked it. I replaced the water pump but did not touch the timing belt. used the started to break the crankshaft pulley bolt. reassembled the engine and the car would turn over but not start. I have set top dead center at least 40-60 times set rotor to position 1 to no avail. Its getting fuel and good spark with error code 51, the eccs came back no issues. had a mobile mechanic come out and we set top dead center many times on compression and the car would not start. we noticed the engine seems to be starting faster than normal. also when i initially was starting it we heard a crunch from the engine and there was the sound of hissing air coming out at high pressure but could not find the source as it only happened like 2-3 times and now does not do it on cranking. i got the car to run very poorly by setting the rotor to spark plug 1 randomly not checking for tdc but it would die after starting and did not like me reving it up much, was missing and slight backfire. Not sure where to go from here was wondering if the aavc could have something to do with this, and help at all would be gratly appreciated. the car ran fine before the water pump went out. Thank you Update i have set to top dead center and lined up the rotor with spark plug 1 repeatedly and car will not start still. Issue still persists after trying moving the distributor teeth around..
Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1990 maxima. my alternator is not turning on... alt tests good, batt tests good. grounds are good. power cable is good. checked resistance on the wires to volt reg, the one from batt is 0.6 ohm; the one from the ignition switch is about 8ohms, all 8ohms from the warning light bulb so I'm guessing that's the set resistance.

Sometimes I can get it to charge by revving it up passed 5k a few times. When that happens it's fine and I can get +13/14v with a dmm across the batt, until I turn the car off then I have to rev it up to 5k again and hope it still excites the alt enough to turn on.. if I can't get it to turn on by revving it up I just lose voltage as rpm increases, so I'm assuming the alt isn't turning on at all
don't know what to do anymore. The only thing left are the pulleys. But I took off the water pump/ps & ac belts to crank it up and see if that was holding back the crank pulley from turning alt fast enough and no change... So it would have to be crank pulley?
help please
thanks

Last edited by godisgood; 08-13-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I have a 92 maxima SE, 120k miles, and it runs well, but I really want to mod it out, throw some money at it and make it look clean. It has some rust on the lower parts of the door, has a dent in the hood, my back passenger side window wont roll down also. It is sort of champagne colored. My first question is it looks like the paint is stripped off the door siding piece? Im not sure what its called, but its the piece that is on both sides on the doors, and it goes like a foot beneath the door handle. It looks really bad. Is there a way I can find this piece online somewhere? I would go to the junkyard but its around 2 hours away. Also, I know when people put really nice systems in older cars it sounds bad, and rattles a ton. Would that be the case with this car?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Johnhulloway
Hey, I have a 92 maxima SE, 120k miles, and it runs well, but I really want to mod it out, throw some money at it and make it look clean. It has some rust on the lower parts of the door, has a dent in the hood, my back passenger side window wont roll down also. It is sort of champagne colored. My first question is it looks like the paint is stripped off the door siding piece? Im not sure what its called, but its the piece that is on both sides on the doors, and it goes like a foot beneath the door handle. It looks really bad. Is there a way I can find this piece online somewhere? I would go to the junkyard but its around 2 hours away. Also, I know when people put really nice systems in older cars it sounds bad, and rattles a ton. Would that be the case with this car?
sounds like you have typical problems.
trim can be removed (slowly, carefully), or it can be repainted.
Window is probably a regulator or switch.
yes, it'll likely rattle. even new cars will rattle. dynamat, or some other sound deadner will cure the buzzing.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Need Help With My 89 Maxima

Ok Sorry If Im Doing This Wrong But Its Ma First Time Using This Website...Well Anyways Im Trying to Install A Amp In My 89 Maxima But When I Got to The Battery Cable I Didnt Know WHere To Pass It Through To Get It From The Hood To The Inside Of The Car I Couldnt Find A Hole to Pass It Through Any Ideas????
Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 PM

Hey guys,

Only have one master key for my 91 GXE and need to get extra's made. I'm still using the original and I have the key code number from the glove box if I need it.

Can I just get them cut at a DIY or hardware store or will I need to go to a dealer?

Is the dealer gonna screw me?

Can I get a "security key" a.k.a. "valet key" made since all I have is the master key?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by De LA Cruz
Ok Sorry If Im Doing This Wrong But Its Ma First Time Using This Website...Well Anyways Im Trying to Install A Amp In My 89 Maxima But When I Got to The Battery Cable I Didnt Know WHere To Pass It Through To Get It From The Hood To The Inside Of The Car I Couldnt Find A Hole to Pass It Through Any Ideas????
I haven't seen the firewall on those yet, but I've worked at a custom shop and do installs.
First follow the stock wire harness that goes inside, see what they pass through. If it's a rubber grommet on the firewall you can snake the power cable through there. If you can't follow main harness, look on the firewall for any rubber grommets/seals that have wires passing through. If you can't find a way on the firewall, a drill with a unibit and a rubber grommet tight around the cable will work. Just be sure to check for any hoses/wires/electronics on both sides of the spot you choose to drill. That's the last resort if we can't find a stock run, but there's almost always a stock run we can get to.
That would be the proper way. Really recommend that over running it through the fender to the doorjamb like some self installers do. I did it like that when I was 15, but it's not the best way. Wire shows and is in a spot that it can be damaged and short, burning out your amp and cause lots of electrical issues.

If I get a chance to look under the hood I'll see if I can find a good stock run. Old metal wire clothes-hangers are great to snake the cable in, at the shop we used the 2 foot cable ties to snake wires through. Sometimes it's easier to find where the harness comes in from inside the car, push your snake through and catch it on the engine bay side.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I flushed my radiator, not realizing that the drain plug was in the perfect position to drench my starter... now i'm having some slow start issues. Any ideas on how I can revive the starter so I don't have to buy a new one?? I'm thinking I'll pull it, clean it up, shine up the contacts; will that give it a new life since it's not dead yet?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM

93 GXE help identifying injectors

Ive tried to search but cant find my answer. How do I know what injectors I have because I needs to replace a few. Is there supposed to be a color dot somewhere? I keep seeing posts about black dot or yellow dot....etc, How do I make sure what injectors I have before I order replacements?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter
Hey guys,

Only have one master key for my 91 GXE and need to get extra's made. I'm still using the original and I have the key code number from the glove box if I need it.

Can I just get them cut at a DIY or hardware store or will I need to go to a dealer?

Is the dealer gonna screw me?

Can I get a "security key" a.k.a. "valet key" made since all I have is the master key?

Answer: No, just go to a DIY store and get them cut unless you've lost all you keys. Cheap and easy. Kinda like me.

Last edited by Funk-O-Meter; 08-15-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Quick question.
Will OEM 3rd gen rims fit other cars than 3rd gen(89-94) and 4th gen(95-99) ?
My car got totaled and I still have OEM rims with almost brand new winter tires on and would like to sell them to get some money back. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
Quick question.
My car got totaled and I still have OEM rims with almost brand new winter tires on and would like to sell them to get some money back. Thanks.
all 5-lug nissans, infinity, lexus, toyota, Ford...
pretty much anything with a 5x4.5(113.4) lug pattern. centerbore is pretty large on the maxima, so some cars might want to get hubcentric rings.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Alright thanks that's what I needed.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM

I have a 92 GXE. Left rear strut is making noise. Firestone wants $500 (with labor) to replace both rear struts. Should I buy a used left rear strut off of ebay for $50 and find a mechanic to do it or bite the bullet and go to Firestone?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by De LA Cruz
Originally Posted by lemans3427
I have a 92 GXE. Left rear strut is making noise. Firestone wants $500 (with labor) to replace both rear struts. Should I buy a used left rear strut off of ebay for $50 and find a mechanic to do it or bite the bullet and go to Firestone?
option 3: diy?
$500 is alot, but sounds about right for a shop to do strruts. if you go that route, make sure they do NOT use gabriel/monroe.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by lemans3427
find a private mechanic, mine charged $100 to do all 4
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
Quick question.
cant you use them on the Protege?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anybody have ANY clue where I can clear corners for my 92?? I have seen people on here suggest ebay, but I had no luck there.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Does anybody have ANY clue where I can clear corners for my 92?? I have seen people on here suggest ebay, but I had no luck there.
i have no trouble

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Euro-...Q5fAccessories

just a heads up they suck ***** and nobody makes good ones, i bought mine new and the right one is full of moisture already. you most likely will have to redo the sealing yourself with silicone, and these things are another stupid reason for cops to pull you over because you need the amber there. im ditching mine right away
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay one more question, sorry. I'm in the process of putting together a working radio, when I got my maxima the speakers were blown(I thought it was the head unit)
So I bought a Kenwood Head Unit, and my dad thought he would be nice and bought me some Boss speakers(I know they are terrible) But I put them in yesterday and the sound quality from those speakers is pretty bad after a certain point. I don't have functioning door speakers yet, the Bose don't work. My question is, if I get a pair of good door speakers, will it make up for the crappy Boss speakers in the back? Also, any recommendations for good 4x6 door speakers? thanks for all the help!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM

what kind of amp do you have? Bose speakers only work with Bose amps
Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im not putting in bose speakers, my dad bought me boss speakers for the back. I replaced the bose in the back, and want to in the front. The only thing i've done to the stock setup was replace the head unit and rear deck speakers, so i guess I still have the bose amps?
Also, is it really recommended that I put 6.5s in the front doors instead of the 4x6s if i want really good sound? And by my situation, should I go component or coaxial?

Last edited by Johnhulloway; 08-20-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 3rd gen 91 Nissan Maxima. I went to change the thermostat, I put it all together, Tightened the bolts and crack, thought ,ok the thermostat housing settled, poored in the water, and the car started peeing, looked at the thermostat housing area, seems what ever the housing bolts to broke off, is that replacable or what do I do?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question

Im 17 and have a 1989 Nissan Maxima GXE. I was wondering what is the best air intakes or filters to go with? im looking for performance. I also wanted to know if anyone uses or knows what is the best muffler or exaust system? Im looking for performance and sound, mostly sound out of the muffler Any opinions would be appreciated!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by skcooper78
I have a 3rd gen 91 Nissan Maxima. I went to change the thermostat, I put it all together, Tightened the bolts and crack, thought ,ok the thermostat housing settled, poored in the water, and the car started peeing, looked at the thermostat housing area, seems what ever the housing bolts to broke off, is that replacable or what do I do?
it is replaceable, but you will need to take the intake completely off.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Perspicacity
Im 17 and have a 1989 Nissan Maxima GXE. I was wondering what is the best air intakes or filters to go with? im looking for performance. I also wanted to know if anyone uses or knows what is the best muffler or exaust system? Im looking for performance and sound, mostly sound out of the muffler Any opinions would be appreciated!
you won't get real performance out of a maxima (much less a gxe).
search the forum for "accord cai". it'll tell you what you need, and which one. (yes, it will be for a honda).
exhaust, custom, or greddy are the only two I have seen. not sure how it performs, as most see the cost of the greddy (which isn't alot), and just go to the muffler shop for a custom, and slap a flowmaster on.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I just got my windows tinted, and I wasnt allowed to roll my windows down for 24 hours. Guess what happens once the tint is finished? My air conditioning stopped working. Needless to say, it was very hot on the drive to work. I have found that my defroster kind of works, but as for the air itself, nothing. After I filled the tank completely up though, it felt as if it was blowing a very little amount of cold air out, but that stopped quickly. Why could this be? I really want to get this fixed.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

So I just got my windows tinted, and I wasnt allowed to roll my windows down for 24 hours. Guess what happens once the tint is finished? My air conditioning stopped working. Needless to say, it was very hot on the drive to work. I have found that my defroster kind of works, but as for the air itself, nothing. After I filled the tank completely up though, it felt as if it was blowing a very little amount of cold air out, but that stopped quickly. Why could this be? I really want to get this fixed.
try taking the car to someone who does a/c service, maybe? maybe you have a leak.. maybe you have a failed compressor.. millions of things can cause a/c to "stop working", so you're going to actually have to *gasp* troubleshoot the issue.

and what "tank"? gas? or you mean your freon?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did troubleshoot, thank you very much =P
I just wanted to ask you guys in case I couldnt figure it out. I believe my blower motor needs replacing. I have to hit it every time I start the car to get the air conditioning to work.
Im pretty new to the car thing, so im sorry for all the stupid questions, but what kind of amp/addons should I throw into my sound system for an awesome setup? I had to redo all of it(92 max), and for the front I have Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coax and for the rear deck I have Boss CH6930 6x9. No amps as of yet, or subs obviously. Recommendations? I would love a good, loud, clear, full range setup.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I did troubleshoot, thank you very much =P
I just wanted to ask you guys in case I couldnt figure it out. I believe my blower motor needs replacing. I have to hit it every time I start the car to get the air conditioning to work.
Im pretty new to the car thing, so im sorry for all the stupid questions, but what kind of amp/addons should I throw into my sound system for an awesome setup? I had to redo all of it(92 max), and for the front I have Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coax and for the rear deck I have Boss CH6930 6x9. No amps as of yet, or subs obviously. Recommendations? I would love a good, loud, clear, full range setup.
can't help with the AC, but there is an audio forum here:
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-electronics-21/

be warned, you will get many conflicting and expensive answers.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

cant you use them on the Protege?
I got 4x100 which are on the 99-01

I'm looking to do a conversion 5x114.3 from the newer proteges 02+ and do the rear disc brake at the same time.

And I really don't think those wheels would look remotely good on my car.. lol
Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

got a 91 max se vg30 had it for 5 years now been a great car very little problems 186k replacing the water pump any tips what should i replace water pump t-stat timming belt any seals in there should change and my crank pulley has a wooble whats up with that cant be normal thanks guys
Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by myvg30
got a 91 max se vg30 had it for 5 years now been a great car very little problems 186k replacing the water pump any tips what should i replace water pump t-stat timming belt any seals in there should change and my crank pulley has a wooble whats up with that cant be normal thanks guys
while youre in there, yep do the water pump, thermostat, and timing belt as well as seals. do the tensioner and crank angle sensor as well though the crank sensor can be hard to find

you may just need a new crankshaft pulley, but sometimes it can be the crankshaft itself. i got the pulley replaced late May on mine, and theres a slight wobble and it looks like its the crankshaft itself. you probably just need a new pulley though
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

while youre in there, yep do the water pump, thermostat, and timing belt as well as seals. do the tensioner and crank angle sensor as well though the crank sensor can be hard to find

you may just need a new crankshaft pulley, but sometimes it can be the crankshaft itself. i got the pulley replaced late May on mine, and theres a slight wobble and it looks like its the crankshaft itself. you probably just need a new pulley though

i thought the crank sensor was in the dizzy cuz it went out on mine and i just put in a new dizzy and it ran great
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Im not putting in bose speakers, my dad bought me boss speakers for the back. I replaced the bose in the back, and want to in the front. The only thing i've done to the stock setup was replace the head unit and rear deck speakers, so i guess I still have the bose amps?
Also, is it really recommended that I put 6.5s in the front doors instead of the 4x6s if i want really good sound? And by my situation, should I go component or coaxial?
just bypass the amps in the back and in the front. its not too hard.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will either of these be a direct replacement for my 92 max?
http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...45230002B.html
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...tid=12475#tabs
Or does anyone know a better site to get the blue dome bulb?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help.... I ran my 94 se out of gas... couldn't start it back up.. popping and sounds like backfiring through the intake... until I stuck my hand in front of the MAF restricting the airflow and the engine began to race.. like normal almost.. I changed the fuel filter, plugs, and MAF still will not run, cant even get it started now... I got a knock sensor code from the ECU now its reading Normal operating conditions... any feed back would be great THANKS!

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)