3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by comrade_Charlie
<snip>
Does any one know what this wire is supposed to do?

should be a fusible link, amirite?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by benstoked
should be a fusible link, amirite?
That would be a negatory..
Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Greeny
That would be a negatory..
then why is that little wire there? just because? I would think they would have run that connector all the way to the terminal if it weren't. (just for edumicational purposes, anybody lemme know if they know.)
Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

then why is that little wire there? just because? I would think they would have run that connector all the way to the terminal if it weren't. (just for edumicational purposes, anybody lemme know if they know.)
The wire lead he pictured goes to the starter, someone has obviously rigged it up for some reason or another.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM

The wire lead he pictured goes to the starter, someone has obviously rigged it up for some reason or another.

if you are refering to the blue wire, it is rigged up to show you what wire I was talking about and I needed to roll up my windows, and that had to be connected to do that...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

if you are refering to the blue wire, it is rigged up to show you what wire I was talking about and I needed to roll up my windows, and that had to be connected to do that...
n/m, i was thinking of something else..

i'm off to bed..
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to the guys who responded with info / ideas on my lost washer issue. Endoscope and 3 magnets later I still coming up empty handed. So i put the thing back together and this time no noise! I tend to think it was either plastic and burned up... or something i must have missed the first time around... either way, the car is running like a bat out of hell and ive never been more pleased with my Max =) Here's hoping it holds up. Thanks again guys
Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Is there any place to download a FSM for a 3rd gen vg maxima for free? I have a haynes but it cant touch the fsm.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Is there any place to download a FSM for a 3rd gen vg maxima for free? I have a haynes but it cant touch the fsm.
noo...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

noo...
Did anyone send him a pm yet?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Did anyone send him a pm yet?
yes...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

yes...
Danka..
Old 03-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Danka..
I usually try to mention to check pms and that explains the taboos of why we cant tell people where to get a fsm.... and stuff...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM

Can I get a PM Ben????
Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by NISMOman69
Can I get a PM Ben????
no. i dont like you
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

no. i dont like you
I already got him.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I already got him.
I can has PMz 2?

(divide my post count by 100 and subtract 3, so i qualify for this forum)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I already got him.
he got 2...
Originally Posted by capedcadaver
I can has PMz 2?

(divide my post count by 100 and subtract 3, so i qualify for this forum)
Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM

WIRE BURNING.......!

Ok so I replaced the alternator today, and what a pain a bolt broke off in the bracket so I had to replace the bracket too, and that one wire on the battery still smokes and gets burnt untill its not in contact any more... I hope I didnt just waste 80 dollars(although im sure id have to replace it eventually... althogh it has 230k on it and it looked orignial so it could have gone another 100k

This whole wire burning thing happened after I let the car stay running for about 5 mins or 10 while my cousins sat in it for heat... then it was shut off, and about 30 minutes later I started it(I had to jump it off) then the wire started burning,smoking whatever you want to call it.

I read from Greeny that "The wire lead he pictured goes to the starter" so could a connection on the started be bad? like a ground?

any way my cousin is coming over with a voltmeter, what should I check? grounds, connections? the battery being bad wouldnt cause this would it? what about gauge of that wire that is supposed to be there...

pics, everyone loves pics, I love pics

for those who dont know this is the wire im refering too(or the wire that used to be there(its in 3 pieces now it just like melted into 3 pieces)

burnt wire, after I replaced alt. and turned on the car

new alt from advanced...

my z(turbo) and the max(and a broke down ranger)

Last edited by comrade_Charlie; 03-14-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Ok so I replaced the alternator today, and what a pain a bolt broke off in the bracket so I had to replace the bracket too, and that one wire on the battery still smokes and gets burnt untill its not in
<snip>
I read from Greeny that "The wire lead he pictured goes to the starter" so could a connection on the started be bad? like a ground?

any way my cousin is coming over with a voltmeter, what should I check? grounds, connections? the battery being bad wouldnt cause this would it? what about gauge of that wire that is supposed to be there...

for those who dont know this is the wire im refering too(or the wire that used to be there(its in 3 pieces now it just like melted into 3 pieces)
[IMG]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9854/burtnwirena9.jpg[IMG]

burnt wire, after I replaced alt. and turned on the car
[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/623/imgp2990kh9.jpg[IMG]
see about putting a better/lower gauge wire in there. it almost sounds like its getting overloaded(too many amps for the wire size)
if you dont have the wire for that, double/tripple up on (new) wire that size.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 PM

I need to just buy new connectors or get ones from the junkyard, cant really rig it up with 3 wires, I know what your saying. but why would it burn up the stock one, maybe it burned it up when the alt went bad, and now its burning this one up because its little.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I need to just buy new connectors or get ones from the junkyard, cant really rig it up with 3 wires, I know what your saying. but why would it burn up the stock one, maybe it burned it up when the alt went bad, and now its burning this one up because its little.
bingo

forcing 1gpm through a kitchen faucet is WAY WAY easier than forcing 1gpm through a coffee stirrer. same with electricity. your 'pipe' (blue wire) wasn't big enough to handle the 'flow' after your original 'pipe' burst from an overload.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-14-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM

hmm so you think if I get a factory wire from the junkyard(the wire that is supposed to be there ill be fine), im getting some 8gauge in a minute, my cousins is better with eltricity than me, I hate eletricity, hate it, but in a way we all love it so... i just hate working with it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello, i am going to buy a 3rd gen max and wanted to know where the normal rust spots are ?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM

k well i have searched on the threadsand havnt really found my answer i wanna install a tranny cooler my transmission is fine i have 224 k on my car original tranny and it is still fine im gunna do a fluid change soon and probably put the cooler on what size should i get just a small one i found one that is maybe a foot long...and also when installing it when i take the feed off the radiator is that fluid gunna leak out so i just wait and then connect to cooler and then replace fluid that drained out.....? and aslso i hear people saying to bypass the factory cooler and some say dont /......what is the real way to hook it up for the inlet house and the outlet hose ...where should they gooo help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there sooooo many mixed reviews on everything
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
bingo

forcing 1gpm through a kitchen faucet is WAY WAY easier than forcing 1gpm through a coffee stirrer. same with electricity. your 'pipe' (blue wire) wasn't big enough to handle the 'flow' after your original 'pipe' burst from an overload.
I got a 8gauge, and its fixed now. Thanks!!!!! maxima is up and running again, the max is so much easier to drive than my z
Old 03-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

idling problems

Hi all,
I have this problem with my 3rd gen, im not sure if this has been posted yet...
Firstly, when you put it into gear(auto) from park or neutral, the revs would drop alot down to about 600 or so and the car would vibrate... And if i was to turn on the air-con then it would drop even lower... I had the revs physically increased so now in park or N they sit on about 1100, and then in gear they drop to about 750, but once the air con comes on then they drop to about 600 or tad lower...
Also, when i start the car to warm it up instead of the revs being high and slowly coming down as the car warms up they start really low and come up as the car warms up....
ive cleaned out the IACV... so any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old 03-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by guitarpro_1st
k well i have searched on the threadsand havnt really found my answer i wanna install a tranny cooler my transmission is fine i have 224 k on my car original tranny and it is still fine im gunna do a fluid change soon and probably put the cooler on what size should i get just a small one i found one that is maybe a foot long...and also when installing it when i take the feed off the radiator is that fluid gunna leak out so i just wait and then connect to cooler and then replace fluid that drained out.....? and aslso i hear people saying to bypass the factory cooler and some say dont /......what is the real way to hook it up for the inlet house and the outlet hose ...where should they gooo help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there sooooo many mixed reviews on everything
if you drive your car like my mom would(easily), a simple 2 pass radiator should be fine. if you drive like me, a 4 or 6 pass may be more to your needs.
(the one in front is 4 while the one behind it is 6.

2 pass

yes the fluid will leak out after disconnection, and running it in series with the oem is your choice. it just kinda depends on your driving style.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MAXimum_overdrive
hello, i am going to buy a 3rd gen max and wanted to know where the normal rust spots are ?
rear wheel well at the bottom where it meets the rocker panel.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
rear wheel well at the bottom where it meets the rocker panel.
ok thanks , my dad had one and it was rust free untill it went through a flood 3 years ago .and i was going to get it for my 16th birthday. (im 18 now)but i remember how fun it was to ride in so im selling my car and buying one.5 spd only.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MAXimum_overdrive
ok thanks , my dad had one and it was rust free untill it went through a flood 3 years ago .and i was going to get it for my 16th birthday. (im 18 now)but i remember how fun it was to ride in so im selling my car and buying one.5 spd only.
I have a turbo 300zx and this maxima(auto) has the same engine but non turbo and auto(z is 5spd) and I love driving the maxima, I dont know why.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:52 AM

hey when i shift from park to reverse the rpm drops below 500 then it comes back to normal 600-800 rpm , what can cause this?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by coolsun
hey when i shift from park to reverse the rpm drops below 500 then it comes back to normal 600-800 rpm , what can cause this?
IAC
Old 03-16-2008, 01:48 PM

i cant seem to find the location of the iac in search can someone give me a discription or a picture would be helpful
Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by coolsun
i cant seem to find the location of the iac in search can someone give me a discription or a picture would be helpful
It is located directly under your throttle body.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 91 se have i loud growl when the clutch is not depressed. just replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, t/o bearing, and pilot bushing. i suspect the imput shaft bearing to be the culprit and wanted to know how much modification is necessary to put a ve m/t and which one would be better with or with out a locking differential? if anyone could shed some light on this please do..
Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 91 se have i loud growl when the clutch is not depressed. just replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, t/o bearing, and pilot bushing. i suspect the imput shaft bearing to be the culprit and wanted to know how much modification is necessary to put a ve m/t and which one would be better with or with out a locking differential? if anyone could shed some light on this please do..
Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by cyrix718
i have a 91 se have i loud growl when the clutch is not depressed. just replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, t/o bearing, and pilot bushing. i suspect the imput shaft bearing to be the culprit and wanted to know how much modification is necessary to put a ve m/t and which one would be better with or with out a locking differential? if anyone could shed some light on this please do..
All VE manual/automatic transmissions are locking diff.

You will need to swap the ve hub/spindle assemblies, ve manual cv axles, and the carrier bearing bracket from a ve.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

All VE manual/automatic transmissions are locking diff.

You will need to swap the ve hub/spindle assemblies, ve manual cv axles, and the carrier bearing bracket from a ve.
thanks for the info there would the ecu need upgraded aswell to accomidate the different tranny?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by cyrix718
thanks for the info there would the ecu need upgraded aswell to accomidate the different tranny?
I've heard you might need the manual ecu also, but not sure.maybe someone else can chime in on this..

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)