3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
money's money. and it talks.
Money talks, and BS walks.
Which one you doin'?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Money talks, and BS walks.
Which one you doin'?
think AC/DC.

but it's gonna be about a month before that tranny is available for purchase.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been workin' my *** off this week, so I'll test your theories this weekend and let you know the results. I'm leaning towards the wheels being messed up as causing the vibration. Tire pressure was off a good bit on all tires and I have three different types of tires. Putting new tires on this weekend also.

New glitch though: I just did some surgery on my shifter. I made a DIY short throw shifter by heating up the stock shifter in the oven and sliding the pivot ball up the shaft. While putting it back on my car (I haven't tried all that hard. I spent about 10 minutes this evening messing with it but the cold ran me back inside) I can't seem to get the two pieces that press the bearings (above and below the ball) together to meet back up. No matter how hard I press, they just won't come together. The bearings come together fine, but the metal plates above and below aren't cooperating. I can't understand what's forcing them apart. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

88 VG30 to 90 Max?

Must replace motor in 90. Got a line on good motor out of 88. Conflicting info and techs that were 6 years old when car was new has me a little confused. A visual inspection brought me to conclude that I can after swapping I/E manifolds, oil pan, motor mount, add oil filter mount, and probably other, small items, it would work. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? I've really got to get this car back on the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
amator40@yahoo.com
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 PM

got a quick question. ive got a '92 maxima thats been through it all (all 400,000km of its life with no major repairs), and a few days ago i tried to do a stupid tight squeeze move and i never made it and bit a curb at about 50 km/h. i think snow took alot of impact but the car felt it. car is absolutely fine, nothing broke, but my RPM gauge is done for. it stays at 0, but occasionally it will twitch like crazy and go from 0-8 a few dozen times then stop. it ran good for a few minutes yesterday then went to 0. it ran fine before i bit the curb

its the automatic version so the RPM isnt a huge deal but i wouldnt mind getting it going again, any way to repair the RPM gauge without taking alot apart? or is it a lost cause?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chrome91
got a quick question. ive got a '92 maxima thats been through it all (all 400,000km of its life with no major repairs), and a few days ago i tried to do a stupid tight squeeze move and i never made it and bit a curb at about 50 km/h. i think snow took alot of impact but the car felt it. car is absolutely fine, nothing broke, but my RPM gauge is done for. it stays at 0, but occasionally it will twitch like crazy and go from 0-8 a few dozen times then stop. it ran good for a few minutes yesterday then went to 0. it ran fine before i bit the curb

its the automatic version so the RPM isnt a huge deal but i wouldnt mind getting it going again, any way to repair the RPM gauge without taking alot apart? or is it a lost cause?
well i'm guessing that the sensor is still fine... the car would run like *** (especially a VE... if your intake pipe goes in front of the engine, it's a VG, and if it goes behind the engine, it's a VE) if the sensor broke. so it's probably just the gauge. you can (as noted in the "Caped and Pearl's cluster thread") just swap another tachometer gauge in there and leave the rest of your cluster as-is. 92-94 will match your style properly (whether white or black). a 89-91 will either show the wrong redline (white) or will have a different typeface (black).
Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

sensor is fine, car still rides fine. thanks for the info, i'll swap for another tachometer
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuel pump installation

Ok guys i have been outta here for a little bit . And once again i come with a little Question.

How do you put a fuel pump in a 92 maxima.
I've heard so much stuff im already confused (as the tank may have to be vacuum out or something like that ) please explain if i can do this on my own or if this vacuum thing is real and has to be done by a shop.
If i can do it explain how as if I were a three year old no fancy car talk to make this as simple as possible.Pictures will be greatly appreciated. please help i did order the fuel pump but dont know where is located on the car.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by killaklownspaintball
Ok guys i have been outta here for a little bit . And once again i come with a little Question.

I've heard so much stuff im already confused (as the tank may have to be vacuum out or something like that ) please explain if i can do this on my own or if this vacuum thing is real and has to be done by a shop.
If i can do it explain how as if I were a three year old no fancy car talk to make this as simple as possible.Pictures will be greatly appreciated. please help i did order the fuel pump but dont know where is located on the car.
pump removal is uber easy.
pull the back seat out, there is a metal plate in the middle. pull that off, you have access to the pump.
no vacuum stuff to worry about.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by killaklownspaintball

Originally Posted by BenStoked
pump removal is uber easy.
pull the back seat out, there is a metal plate in the middle. pull that off, you have access to the pump.
no vacuum stuff to worry about.

--> http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...fuel-pump.html
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM

one last question

can you switch out the rear speakers in a '92? mine worked, but they werent the best so i removed them (looks like they werent meant to be removed, it was hard) but i got them out and replaced them with some aftermarkets i picked up for $5. reconnected everything and it was a no-go. i thought maybe it was the new speakers since they were $5. a few days ago i bought some expensive **** new speakers, wired them up, and still nothing.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
mod or sell?

one last question

can you switch out the rear speakers in a '92? mine worked, but they werent the best so i removed them (looks like they werent meant to be removed, it was hard) but i got them out and replaced them with some aftermarkets i picked up for $5. reconnected everything and it was a no-go. i thought maybe it was the new speakers since they were $5. a few days ago i bought some expensive **** new speakers, wired them up, and still nothing.
you have the bose system. you can not just replace the speakers.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM

you have the bose system. you can not just replace the speakers.
dang, what would i have to do?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2001 maxima and when im driving the rpm will jump from 1 to 3 then back down to 1 and the car jerks. My acceleration could be smoother also. Can any1 help me does my maf need to be replaced or is it deeper than that.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by dude504
I have a 2001 maxima and when im driving the rpm will jump from 1 to 3 then back down to 1 and the car jerks. My acceleration could be smoother also. Can any1 help me does my maf need to be replaced or is it deeper than that.
there's a noobie thread in the 2000-2003 section.. that's where this post belongs
Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
mod or sell?

dang, what would i have to do?
a. buy new bose amps and bose speakers
b. replace H/U and speakers
Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 PM

a. buy new bose amps and bose speakers
b. replace H/U and speakers
dang, that sucks. my '92 is too near the end of its life to put more money like that into (399,958km today, should hit the scary 400,000 tomorrow). next car will either be a skyline or more likely a '99 maxima (or another 92 if i can find a mint one) and i'll keep my speakers for then. thanks for the info

worst part is when i took out my stock speakers i trashed them right away. ive still got the front speakers and subwoofer in the trunk so its not a total loss. anyways, thanks for the info
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

dang, that sucks. my '92 is too near the end of its life to put more money like that into (399,958km today, should hit the scary 400,000 tomorrow). next car will either be a skyline or more likely a '99 maxima (or another 92 if i can find a mint one) and i'll keep my speakers for then. thanks for the info

worst part is when i took out my stock speakers i trashed them right away. ive still got the front speakers and subwoofer in the trunk so its not a total loss. anyways, thanks for the info
buy a new head unit, put it in the car, enjoy until you need to get rid of it.

(a skyline, you say? is that wishful thinking?)
Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM

buy a new head unit, put it in the car, enjoy until you need to get rid of it.

(a skyline, you say? is that wishful thinking?)
i already got a head unit (deck) installed thats aftermarket, i needed a new one to wire my subs so i got a JVC

a skyline would have been as much as a maxima, i found 2 skylines with 150,000km this month for only $5000 right hand drive, full body kit, everything, no problems. one was even a automatic. i paid about $1700 for my maxima, $1000 in audio, $500 in other stuff, $1000 in brake work (i hit a fresh cement speed bump on road work and wrecked my brakes) so that adds up to about $4200, and the skylines were even OBO
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

i already got a head unit (deck) installed thats aftermarket, i needed a new one to wire my subs so i got a JVC

a skyline would have been as much as a maxima, i found 2 skylines with 150,000km this month for only $5000 right hand drive, full body kit, everything, no problems. one was even a automatic. i paid about $1700 for my maxima, $1000 in audio, $500 in other stuff, $1000 in brake work (i hit a fresh cement speed bump on road work and wrecked my brakes) so that adds up to about $4200, and the skylines were even OBO
****, I wonder how much it would cost to get one exported to own here....
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

****, I wonder how much it would cost to get one exported to own here....
just buy one someone else already imported and decided to sell a few years later.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM

yeah, buying one someone imported then wants to sell later is easier

A couple weeks ago i found a sick supra that was 2002 i think, and it was freshly imported from japan and was a full on ricer. it was like $15,000 though, and not a nissan
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM

so i ordered some LED lights to go behind my gauges, the ones on the thread in the main page there, anyways, i havent been able to find a good replacement walkthrough anyone got a link to one or have some time to explain? thx
Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by PMAX08
so i ordered some LED lights to go behind my gauges, the ones on the thread in the main page there, anyways, i havent been able to find a good replacement walkthrough anyone got a link to one or have some time to explain? thx
http://www.geocities.com/craigbraceg...ock/clock.html

step 1-4, then there's 4 screws holding the gauge cluster in place. 3 harness clips to unhook from the back... then the 194 lights are in the larger reddish sockets.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 PM

awesome, thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

gotta ask one last question

on 92's (and probably other year models) theres a switch near the shifter that says power and comfort. never figured out what they were for, and a few weeks ago i flipped open the owners manual and it says that power is used for aggressive driving and goes into higher RPM's. ive been wanting to try the power mode, but is it hard on a older '92 with 400,000km?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

gotta ask one last question

on 92's (and probably other year models) theres a switch near the shifter that says power and comfort. never figured out what they were for, and a few weeks ago i flipped open the owners manual and it says that power is used for aggressive driving and goes into higher RPM's. ive been wanting to try the power mode, but is it hard on a older '92 with 400,000km?
power mode shifts at a higher rpm, yes. it doesn't affect how hard the tranny shifts, it simply changes the rpm that the tranny will shift at, for a given RPM. that matters because in city driving and such, you won't shift as much, and the car will downshift with less throttle input, both of which are easier on the tranny.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM

sweet. pretty much all i do is city driving, so the power mode is easier on the tranny? if it is im gonna have to test the power mode out now
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

sweet. pretty much all i do is city driving, so the power mode is easier on the tranny? if it is im gonna have to test the power mode out now
yes, i've seen it recommended as a longevity measure. Internetautomar did it on his, nc90gxe is doing it on his too ever since it was rebuilt. if you get a freshly rebuilt tranny i'd also advise taking a page from nc90gxe's book and changing the tranny fluid every 3rd oil change.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM

thanks for the help. i took it for a spin on the power mode and its way nicer than the regular mode, think i'll stick with it unless i get out on the highway which would be rare
Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
mod or sell?

AH HA!
if you already have an aftermarket H/U then all you need to do is wire around the amps at each speaker.
Very easy to do.
at each amp there is a 4 wire connector , it has 2 thick and 2 thinner wires. connect the 2 thinner wires to your speaker and viola' you just bypassed the amp and you are now running your speakers off your H/U
somewhere I may have described it in more detail. Though it has been a couple of years since I did it.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM

awesome! killed 2 birds with one stone, got the power mode going and new speakers wont go to waste
Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Sup peeps? One question and I need to know if its a problem... ok im trying to replace my headlight not the bulbs but the whole thing and the white **** ur suppose to turn does nothing how and I suppose to take it off?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Sup peeps? One question and I need to know if its a problem... ok im trying to replace my headlight not the bulbs but the whole thing and the white **** ur suppose to turn does nothing how and I suppose to take it off?
you don't have to do anything with the white ****. that's an aiming thingy. just unbolt the bracket from the car, and leave the bracket on the old headlight. the new headlight should come with its own bracket anyhow
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
you don't have to do anything with the white ****. that's an aiming thingy. just unbolt the bracket from the car, and leave the bracket on the old headlight. the new headlight should come with its own bracket anyhow
i actually was just going to ask something like this. my ultrawhite bulbs came today, do you just pull the copper bracket to get the headlight cover off?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I can has?

i actually was just going to ask something like this. my ultrawhite bulbs came today, do you just pull the copper bracket to get the headlight cover off?
just bulb replacement is done from the back of the headlight. On the rear of the headlight, there is a grey bulb support bracket with wires going to them, you'll need to spin the bracket (I believe counter clockwise) until it unclips, pull the headlight bulb out of the assembly and unclip the headlight and replace.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM

sweet, i'll swap them tomorrow in daylight. thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

copper??? cover? what are you trying to do? remove the assembly or put bulbs in? the bulbs on 3rd gens are the easiest to change of any car i've ever worked on... pull the harness, twist yoke, old bulb out, new bulb in, put yoke back, put harness back. i'd bet a dollar that i could change both of my bulbs in 30 seconds or less.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 PM

yep, just trying to switch the bulbs. the guy who had my car before me had the same ones as always and ive never switched them yet, theyre really weak and its time for new ones

ive never switched a bulb before. lol. my headlights have a copper bracket over the headlights plastic cover thats on tight, i thought you removed that but its there good.

anyways, i'll go out with a flashlight now and see if i can find the harness
Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yep, just trying to switch the bulbs. the guy who had my car before me had the same ones as always and ive never switched them yet, theyre really weak and its time for new ones

ive never switched a bulb before. lol. my headlights have a copper bracket over the headlights plastic cover thats on tight, i thought you removed that but its there good.

anyways, i'll go out with a flashlight now and see if i can find the harness
take a pic or two.... i have no idea what copper bracket you're talking about

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)