3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Justinleo1984
okay did some more reading found my ecu diagnostic thing under the center on the passenger side but I am a bit confused on how to opperate the thing and how do I get my idle set back after I do it? one other question too, there are a ton of junked maximas and I am from the south(tennessee, nashville) is there any way I can get some injectors out of one of them and do the ohms test? do I have to replace to orings or can I just looka nd see if they are in good condition. I know I will have to go back in and change agin but by then I could mabe afford new injectors. I really like this car and want her to be a good car any help will be appreciated.
Whats the condition of your vacuum lines?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Whats the condition of your vacuum lines?

new all replaced its running on three cylinders 1 2 6 when I pull the plugs the engine runns the same, swapped fuel rails for one that came out of a running maxima (no title). It didn't help. ohm tested all injectors last night and all were 12.5 or close. wherew do I go from here. I do have one vacuum line that i CAN'T FINT IT COME FROM THE CANISTER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE engine bay above the transmission AND IS A RUBBER HOSE WITH A METAL U OR HOOK SHAPED PIPE ON THE END LOOKED BUT COULDN'T FIND WHERE IT GOES. sorry bout the caps but my keyboard is on the fritz
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM

new all replaced its running on three cylinders 1 2 6 when I pull the plugs the engine runns the same, swapped fuel rails for one that came out of a running maxima (no title). It didn't help. ohm tested all injectors last night and all were 12.5 or close. wherew do I go from here. I do have one vacuum line that i CAN'T FINT IT COME FROM THE CANISTER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE engine bay above the transmission AND IS A RUBBER HOSE WITH A METAL U OR HOOK SHAPED PIPE ON THE END LOOKED BUT COULDN'T FIND WHERE IT GOES. sorry bout the caps but my keyboard is on the fritz
Barring that missing line being the cause of your problems (blow-by maybe?), you need to look into the circuits supplying signals to the non-functioning injectors. You can do a continuity test between the connector wire and specific pins on the ECU harness. The other pin should have continuity with ground. Do you have the factory service manual yet?

Also, are all your spark plug wires connected to the correct locations on the distributor? Dumb question, but sometimes simple errors are overlooked.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

okay did some more reading found my ecu diagnostic thing under the center on the passenger side but I am a bit confused on how to opperate the thing and how do I get my idle set back after I do it? one other question too, there are a ton of junked maximas and I am from the south(tennessee, nashville) is there any way I can get some injectors out of one of them and do the ohms test? do I have to replace to orings or can I just looka nd see if they are in good condition. I know I will have to go back in and change agin but by then I could mabe afford new injectors. I really like this car and want her to be a good car any help will be appreciated.
I am just a few hours away in crossville, i could make a service call and take a look at it sometime if you want.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM

^^^ probably the easiest way to get it running
Old 11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

http://forums.maxima.org/4873104-post18.html
there is a video on post 19 when you click the first link on that page, which applies to all the SOHC models. if you have DOHC, then look for what greeny describes as a "2-mode" system.

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
first...thanks wanted to make sure before i purchased those parts lol...yeah im talkin bout the cv axle support housing on the front right side...from the way i looked at them...they seemed odd to me...to be facing the left side when their for the right...guess i gotta jack the whole damn car up even more to get to them(working with only 2 jackstands trying to do an engine swap...hopefully when i unbolt the tranny i have room to move it out
those 3 bolts will come out with a 3/8 drive ratchet and deep 12mm socket. short extension w/ shallow socket is too long. the top-rear one is always a PITA... matter of fact i usually leave it out unless the ypipe is out of the way. perhaps bad practice... i just did this yesterday cuz SOMEHOW those bolts came undone on my roommate's 89 (2-day overnight engine swap on zero sleep might have played a part in this...) and the axle popped out and all his tranny fluid leaked out on the interstate (that, and his car wouldn't go). torque spec is 9-14lb/ft.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 11-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Blower not working

Hi, my friend bought a 92 Maxima, and her blower doesn't work, what ever the temperature setpoint, no air is coming out the vents. It's getting 12V at the blower, and the 2 fuses are good. I found those threads.

I was planning on following those instructions to:

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-diagnose.html

Or simply changing the resistor, but usually when a resistor goes out the blower still works at some speed, this one never works. So before changing it out, I though I'd ask.

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...out-vents.html

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

93 SE. Engine running fine, new starter, cables, and optima redtop. While getting tires changed, I pulled up to the bay, turned the engine off and the car would not retart...had lights etc, but no crank at all. 45 mins later it started as if nothing happened turned over twice and fired right up. Tonight went in to Safeway car turned off and now will not start even hours later...tried jumping (dumb because its got plenty of juice) but I tried anyway...full lights everything just no start. Here is the kicker the car was running with the wife sitting there and turned itself off(died); and as stated earlier no crank at all. HELP!?!?!?!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by hondah8tr
93 SE. Engine running fine, new starter, cables, and optima redtop. While getting tires changed, I pulled up to the bay, turned the engine off and the car would not retart...had lights etc, but no crank at all. 45 mins later it started as if nothing happened turned over twice and fired right up. Tonight went in to Safeway car turned off and now will not start even hours later...tried jumping (dumb because its got plenty of juice) but I tried anyway...full lights everything just no start. Here is the kicker the car was running with the wife sitting there and turned itself off(died); and as stated earlier no crank at all. HELP!?!?!?!
define "new" for the starter, please.]

depending on the transmission, will determine what all to check.
there is a recent thread that talks about a similar issue, and the vets have determined, based on experience (both reading and first hand) that is typically a dying starter symptom.
you may also want try wiggling the shifter(shifting from park to neutral, or sliding it between the two while cranking, if its an auto; moving between gears, (including reverse) and neutral if its a 5 speed)
to see if it is a sensor or switch there.

and while I am throwing suggestions out there, you may be having a faulty ignition switch (doubtful, but whatever)
Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well starter 6 months....however cannot see the problem being the starter...The engine actually DIED while running and wouldn't restart...engine has 55K on it and runs like a charm till now. Trans is Auto...tried wiggling and putting into neutral...no joy...but again the engine both times actually died and then wouldnt restart...If it wasnt for the engine dying off I would agree with you on the starter..cable...etc therory. I am VERY familiar with american cars/engines etc. This is my first import and boy its really kicking my a$$ over this problem...lol
Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Well starter 6 months....however cannot see the problem being the starter...The engine actually DIED while running and wouldn't restart...engine has 55K on it and runs like a charm till now. Trans is Auto...tried wiggling and putting into neutral...no joy...but again the engine both times actually died and then wouldnt restart...If it wasnt for the engine dying off I would agree with you on the starter..cable...etc therory. I am VERY familiar with american cars/engines etc. This is my first import and boy its really kicking my a$$ over this problem...lol
well, I am pretty tired, and the brain isnt in full gear, but I would suggest lookng through the engine bay for loose/corroded connectors, such as the MAF, temp sensors, and such.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BenStoked....thanx for the ideas...I'm at wits end with my brain as well... been a very long day...think Im headin to bed and maybe will have some fresh ideas in the morning or someone else will have an idea as well. FYI...when engine was replaced it was a complete moter job cost more than my Car. We replaced all the sensors and any wiring that looked frayed, old, cracked, etc. So I guess it could be a sensor but the computer is not kickin out any codes...I will poke around in the morning when there is actually light out...thanx for suggestions and anything else you may think of!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 PM

if the car died while running it sounds like the alternator may be broken but its strange the car started up magically at one point but try getting it tested before you change it its about $150 with new cables

same thing happened to me i thought it was the starter too...
Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
if the car died while running it sounds like the alternator may be broken but its strange the car started up magically at one point but try getting it tested before you change it its about $150 with new cables

same thing happened to me i thought it was the starter too...

First time it did this took the alternator and starter down had both tested then ended up by replacing both at the engine swap which was a direct replacement no mods or changes....this has got to be in the electrical somewhere just dunno where to start. Wondering if Nissan has similar deal as Honda's (i hate that word LOL)...the ignitor died on my friends Honda and it would not crank even though it was in the ignition. Something keeps them from cranking.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 AM

Parking

Hey guys, how hard is it to parallel park with a 5 speed if you're new to the manual gearbox. Would it be possible to get good at it after practicing a few hours? Because I am afraid of switching into first with some wheel spin and bashing into the parked car in front. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by coldfear13
Hey guys, how hard is it to parallel park with a 5 speed if you're new to the manual gearbox. Would it be possible to get good at it after practicing a few hours? Because I am afraid of switching into first with some wheel spin and bashing into the parked car in front. Any suggestions?
Thank you

If you learn or already know how to drive the manual its no big deal unless your on a slope like here in Seattle, I love my auto for that reason...however the manual trans version of my 93 SE I love Love LOVE...they are so much more fun to drive. As far as bashing the car in front of you...I wouldnt worry... just dont go buy the car and go parallel park...practice first and just go easy on the clutch when your parking...dont burn it but come close(ride it a little bit..LITTLE BIT) and you will be fine with no bashing....Practice on your street with some cones or something set up next to your curb.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, New to the forum.

I just bought me a 1991 Maxima GXE (Brougham in Canada)
Do i have A/C in my car? Reason why i ask, i don't see any A/C button.
Plus, why is my temp (Hot and cold) light goes dim sometimes)
Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by R!zz0
Hey guys, New to the forum.

I just bought me a 1991 Maxima GXE (Brougham in Canada)
Do i have A/C in my car? Reason why i ask, i don't see any A/C button.
Plus, why is my temp (Hot and cold) light goes dim sometimes)

Look under the hood for the A/C compressor or A/C lines, if its not there you dont have A/C. Some of the models do not come with A/C. The A/C button would be located in the same group as the climate controls.
Dimming: If the plug on the back of the controls is loose the lights can come and go. If they are always on just really dim, you probably have a bulb or 2 that has gone out. Hope that helps...Have fun with the car...they can be a blast!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK so Update...this morning I ran back to the store and the car started without hesitation. I did not touch anything aside from opening the door. I was careful not to touch the brake pedal, the shifter or anything. The car did not hesitate, starter sounded perfect, no struggle(same as always), took less than 1 sec to fire right up. So this problem is quite different. Anyone got any ideas before the car dies again and wont restart for who knows how long???
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
I am just a few hours away in crossville, i could make a service call and take a look at it sometime if you want.

sorry it took so long. how much would you charge me? I could use the help I realy need this thing to run.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

sorry it took so long. how much would you charge me? I could use the help I realy need this thing to run.
just pay for the gas to your house then we will go from there, i promise i am cheaper than a shop.

It will have to be sometime next week after monday, i am going to kentucky on monday to pick up a rollback tow truck for my new business.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

just pay for the gas to your house then we will go from there, i promise i am cheaper than a shop.

It will have to be sometime next week after monday, i am going to kentucky on monday to pick up a rollback tow truck for my new business.
er.... no more carpet store? Greeny's Backyard Garage LLC???
Old 11-22-2008, 06:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
er.... no more carpet store? Greeny's Backyard Garage LLC???
carpet store?

http://www.localsalesnetwork.com/lis...es/607581.html
Old 11-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i thought you were a forklift operator at a carpet warehouse.....
Old 11-22-2008, 06:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i thought you were a forklift operator at a carpet warehouse.....
I do operate a forklift at a ceramic tile warehouse..

Last edited by Greeny; 11-22-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I do operate a forklift at a ceramic tile warehouse..

ok ok. it was back around new years when we were talking about that... you and your bonus for having a super-high accuracy rate, etc.

ANYWAYS

so what's the truck for? you are gonna do a little shop service? or just a towing service?

Last edited by Greeny; 11-22-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

so what's the truck for? you are gonna do a little shop service? or just a towing service?
yes, yes and
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yes, yes and
I CAN HAS JOB?!?!?!?!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Stuck inside today, raining and I have no garage. Looking at ebay and seen a cai kit for $42 for our 3 gen maxs. anyone tried it? also do g35 wheels fit our cars the bolt pattern is 5 on 114.5mm?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM

also I have the square injector plugs can I switch to the other style? or is there a way to clean the corrosian(can't spell) out of the ones I have?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 AM

oh and can someone pm me about the fsm
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Stuck inside today, raining and I have no garage. Looking at ebay and seen a cai kit for $42 for our 3 gen maxs. anyone tried it? also do g35 wheels fit our cars the bolt pattern is 5 on 114.5mm?
Post a link to the ebay auction, then i will be able to tell you if it will fit your car..

Yes, g35 wheels will fit your car.

also I have the square injector plugs can I switch to the other style? or is there a way to clean the corrosian(can't spell) out of the ones I have?
You have to switch all your injectors over along with the plugs over to the Deutsch style.

You can clean the connectors with a small wire brush and some sort of cleaning spray like electrical contact cleaner

oh and can someone pm me about the fsm
http://boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/1994/
Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Wayne's Tow N' Go, that's great! I hope it goes well for you. I see your tow truck will stay with the theme of 300,000+ miles...
Old 11-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Battery gets drained

I have a 1993 Maxima. The battery keeps getting drained. I took the alternator off and got it benched check the check came back saying the alternator is good. I got a new battery and still having the same problem the. I dont have a stereo system. I dont know what is causing the alternator not to charge the battery. Can someone please help.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxitech
Wayne's Tow N' Go, that's great! I hope it goes well for you.

lol! i'll think about that name.. thanks

Originally Posted by maxitech
I see your tow truck will stay with the theme of 300,000+ miles...
Yep, but unlike the ve, 300k is just a little over broke in for a DT466.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by 1993maximaTAG
I have a 1993 Maxima. The battery keeps getting drained. I took the alternator off and got it benched check the check came back saying the alternator is good. I got a new battery and still having the same problem the. I dont have a stereo system. I dont know what is causing the alternator not to charge the battery. Can someone please help.
check cables for corrosion, and looseness. either of these would cause the battery not to charge. just go through and find any wires that go to the battery, both + and -.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
mod or sell?

every night pull one fuse until you find the fuse that allows your battery to stay charged
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
every night pull one fuse until you find the fuse that allows your battery to stay charged

I think i might have found the problem the car has a remote starter on it that i did not know so i took all the wires for the remote starter off and i hope this will fix the problem i have to go pick up the battery tomorrow i hope that fix the problem if not i will post a post
Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
mod or sell?

I think i might have found the problem the car has a remote starter on it that i did not know so i took all the wires for the remote starter off and i hope this will fix the problem i have to go pick up the battery tomorrow i hope that fix the problem if not i will post a post
did you just unplug the brain box or actually go through and remove the connections and repair the wires?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Well hello all!!
Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to swap my digital dash..back to an analoge dash? \Is it even possible?

Any advise would be helpfull!!!!

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)