3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM

went out and i found the grey thing you unscrew, looks easy enough

the copper bracket looks like it just hold the headlight exteriors cover on. if i get time i'll possibly try switching them tonight and get pics, if not im going to the carwash tomorrow and already taking some
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by chrome91
went out and i found the grey thing you unscrew, looks easy enough

the copper bracket looks like it just hold the headlight exteriors cover on. if i get time i'll possibly try switching them tonight and get pics, if not im going to the carwash tomorrow and already taking some
The headlights are held on by more than those those clips, and there is a ****load of RTV that has to be baked in an oven to loosen up, 3rd gen headlights were never really meant to have the front of the glass taken off for routine maintenance.

Caped; here is a pic of the clips he is probably talking about:

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1990 SE Stalling/Hiccups etc.

Just recently started having issues in regards to my Maxima stalling/hiccuping. I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to work fine, but eventually the problem reoccurred. Tonight it took about 4 tries before it started and then it completely died on me in traffic. I finally got it back to the house. It seems like it's running out of fuel as far as the symptoms go. I noticed when I would put it in 2nd gear it would run ok, but tonight I had to put it in 1st just to get it back home. It's an automatic btw. I'm thinking the next step should be the fuel pump??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
The headlights are held on by more than those those clips, and there is a ****load of RTV that has to be baked in an oven to loosen up, 3rd gen headlights were never really meant to have the front of the glass taken off for routine maintenance.

Caped; here is a pic of the clips he is probably talking about:

oh, those. i thought he meant near where the bulb goes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM

bingo. yeah, those are the clips.

got the ultrawhites in and they work, alot brighter than my old ones. can get pics of the car tomorrow. poor thing is 5km from rolling over to 400,000

with the speakers, i'll wire them up next week. im looking for a new amp, and i think i found a good one. mines pretty old but the worst part is it puts the "protect" mode on itself for no reason and i have to turn the deck off then on

Last edited by chrome91; 01-21-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I can has?

bingo. yeah, those are the clips.

got the ultrawhites in and they work, alot brighter than my old ones. can get pics of the car tomorrow. poor thing is 5km from rolling over to 400,000

with the speakers, i'll wire them up next week. im looking for a new amp, and i think i found a good one. mines pretty old but the worst part is it puts the "protect" mode on itself for no reason and i have to turn the deck off then on
Check your amp ground
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 PM

i dont think thats it, its just a small amp. if the volumes only at 12 it puts on the warning light, and if it goes beyond that it goes into protect mode. paid $15 for it on ebay a long time ago. the one im thinking of getting is a few hundreds watts more than it
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM

what do you guys think is a fair price for a manual tranny from a junkyard nowadays? i read up on a few threads (including the sticky, and capedcadave's thread and the cardomain link) i'm pretty set on getting a 5sp but i just dont want to get raped on the costs. i've really got no place for a parts car either so that won't work. any help is much appreciated

thanks,

mike
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chentwoten
what do you guys think is a fair price for a manual tranny from a junkyard nowadays? i read up on a few threads (including the sticky, and capedcadave's thread and the cardomain link) i'm pretty set on getting a 5sp but i just dont want to get raped on the costs. i've really got no place for a parts car either so that won't work. any help is much appreciated

thanks,

mike
if you bring a core, you can get one from my local JY (and there are a few there) for $89.99 i think. without a core... mebbe $129.99. then maybe $100 for the shifter and gussets and pedal and hydraylics and whatnot. tho if you have the money, just get a brand new master/slave/piping/clutch from partsstore/partsstore/courtesynissan/internetautomar respectively
Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
copper??? cover? what are you trying to do? remove the assembly or put bulbs in? the bulbs on 3rd gens are the easiest to change of any car i've ever worked on... pull the harness, twist yoke, old bulb out, new bulb in, put yoke back, put harness back. i'd bet a dollar that i could change both of my bulbs in 30 seconds or less.
i already replaced the bulbs with some hyper whites that was the easy part im just going to replace the whole thing with these
Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM

thankx for the info...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
i already replaced the bulbs with some hyper whites that was the easy part im just going to replace the whole thing with these
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON'T GET THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they're THE single-worst headlight you can buy for a Maxima. true friggin story.

Leave the stock units in, OR retrofit projectors into those things. but don't just run those clear ones alone... the pattern is just a round donut, like a flashlight... meaning you will glare at EVERYONE. Adjusting the lights to prevent glare causes another problem-- then you can't see crap

the euro-clear crap is on the left. a proper projector is on the right

even J30 (halogen) projectors are better than that... their lowbeam is like this:

or DEPO E36 (also halogen) housings (hotspot and crappy peripheral is caused by a flaked-off chrome coating on the headlight bowl. output from a brand new one would be MUCH better)

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-22-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so heres the deal: I fell on some hard times last easter and long story short, I was unable to renew my License. I had to sell off my 1995 Galant with only 178k on it and Ive been walking since.

I got my license back (YAY!) and I have absolutely had it with walking and taking the bus. Someone in my town has a 1992 Maxima GXE for sale but the car has 256k on it. They only want $750 for the car and I have looked at it personally. The car has only had one owner, has every single service record and dealership insert/pamphlet/handout, etc.....I drove it and it was remarkably quiet for a car of this age and mileage and the tranny was also in good running order.

The body is a pristine Metallic brown, a small scuff here or there but no reconditioning in its past, no dents, and the interior looks brand new and well cared for.

If I should purchase it I would only keep it about a year or so until Ive been at my new job for a significant amount of time to 1: Put back a down payment for a much newer Maxima and 2: Be at this job for a year before I do buy a newer one.

So I guess what I really wanna know is what are the odds that this car will make it another year and what is recommended immediate maintence? If I buy it the first thing im doing hands down is a timing belt replacement for sure. Id at least like to get 15-20k out of the car, but I also hope its not wishful thinking. I had a friend who had a 1989 Maxima SE 5-speed that ran great at 240k and only quit because it was totaled. I have heard great things about Maxima longevity and wanna know if theres a glimpse of hope for this baby. Its cheap to buy and having not had steady income for about a year after having been laid off it might be a good buy. Id prefer to have a Nissan Maxima than the 1989 Mercury Sable Station Wagon that was offered to me...but again money is extra tight and I also found that this Maxima would be dirt cheap for me to insure. What do you guys think?

heres a pic of the Maxima. 1992 GXE

Last edited by Guy922; 01-22-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

^^^^^^^^^^^
Go for it..

+1 change the t-belt first thing, and make sure the transmission is shifting ok throughout all the gears. chances are @256k the trans has already been rebuilt or replaced, but still, make sure it shifts out ok. Pretty much regular maintenance after that.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Greeny
^^^^^^^^^^^
Go for it..

+1 change the t-belt first thing, and make sure the transmission is shifting ok throughout all the gears. chances are @256k the trans has already been rebuilt or replaced, but still, make sure it shifts out ok. Pretty much regular maintenance after that.

But, nissans are not that cheap to insure relative to other vehicles.
It costs more to insure my brothers 92 G20 than it did to insure our Vans, or our subarus.
same held true for my maximas, sentra, and I30s.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by glee56
Just recently started having issues in regards to my Maxima stalling/hiccuping. I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to work fine, but eventually the problem reoccurred. Tonight it took about 4 tries before it started and then it completely died on me in traffic. I finally got it back to the house. It seems like it's running out of fuel as far as the symptoms go. I noticed when I would put it in 2nd gear it would run ok, but tonight I had to put it in 1st just to get it back home. It's an automatic btw. I'm thinking the next step should be the fuel pump??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
first thing is to test your fuel pressure, that will tell you if it is the fuel pump or something else.

I skipped that step one time because of the symptoms I had. $260 later it still had the same problem. problem ended up being a wire had severed. twisted it back together and taped, viola' the van ran great again and my CEL was off
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Capecadaver - thanks. I'm looking to do it on a budget but by all means if i can't find some of the parts in good condition i'll purchase from internetautomar. What clutch/flywheel do you recommend? I was thinking maybe an exedy oem replacement or even stage 1 if i can get enough $.

Guy922 - Autumn Brown Metallic (CK1), I believe is definitely beautiful in the sunlight. I have it on my turd gen (see sig) and with a good polish it really brings it out.

Last edited by chentwoten; 01-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Get Off My Lawn

^^^^^^^^^^^
Go for it..

I understand you may not be keeping the car, however I would also add that if you can find the money to do it...also replace the water pump while you are doing the timing belt. If you're not that interested in spending the extra money, then at least driving the car and inspecting after heat up/idle/cool down if there is any indication of leaking coolant from the water pump. If it leaks, it is on it's way out at any moment. I'd also keep an eye on the temp guage. Been there, done that.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar

But, nissans are not that cheap to insure relative to other vehicles.
really? its not that bad for mine, $190 a month for $2,000,000 liability and ive only been on the insurance for 3 years. before i bought my maxima i was going to get a 2003 honda coupe for $3000 with less than 100k on it (sounds too good to be true, but it was in perfect condition) but it would have been alot more to insure than the maxima since the maxima is a sedan
Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
mod or sell?

really? its not that bad for mine, $190 a month for $2,000,000 liability and ive only been on the insurance for 3 years. before i bought my maxima i was going to get a 2003 honda coupe for $3000 with less than 100k on it (sounds too good to be true, but it was in perfect condition) but it would have been alot more to insure than the maxima since the maxima is a sedan
did you ask your agent?
you also have to take into account age of driver, and age of car.
a 19 yo driver in a 2k3 car costs much more to insure than the same 19yo in a 15 year old car.
who do you think is more likely to show off?
the brat in his "fly" 2k3 honduh or the one driving the family sedan?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The water pump and temp gauge and thermostat are also on the to-do list as well. $190 Seems high for insurance. My company (Geico) quoted me at a little over $80.00 a month to insure a 1992 Maxima.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Guy922
The water pump and temp gauge and thermostat are also on the to-do list as well. $190 Seems high for insurance. My company (Geico) quoted me at a little over $80.00 a month to insure a 1992 Maxima.
Age+Location have a lot to do with insurance rates....
Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
mod or sell?

if $2,000,000 is the amount of liabilty he has then that number is good.
I paid about $200 per 6 for 20/40 liability insurance.

just to add an interesting footnote.
at one point I had 3 cars.
1. 2k2 montana
2. 94 sentra
3. 92 subaru legacy wagon

it cost me $7 LESS to insure all 3 than to only insure 1&2 go figure.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

if $2,000,000 is the amount of liabilty he has then that number is good.
I paid about $200 per 6 for 20/40 liability insurance.

just to add an interesting footnote.
at one point I had 3 cars.
1. 2k2 montana
2. 94 sentra
3. 92 subaru legacy wagon

it cost me $7 LESS to insure all 3 than to only insure 1&2 go figure.
Just makes you want to call them up and ask why, just so you can hear them stumble around for a sensible answer..
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

yep, im 18 with 2 mil liability. only thing that helped me out is a year ago i took a driving class and that counts as 2 years experience so i got off a bit cheaper

i was considering a porsche 930 as a first car but i figured a car with nearly 300km/h top speed would put my insurance through the roof

Last edited by chrome91; 01-22-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well im 22 and I live in Utah (I AM NOT NATIVE) lol. I have had an accident, and three unsafe vehicle charges. (unsafe vehicle was plead down from other things) I dont like driving defective vehicles and I keep mine in tip top shape lol.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 AM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON'T GET THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they're THE single-worst headlight you can buy for a Maxima. true friggin story.

Leave the stock units in, OR retrofit projectors into those things. but don't just run those clear ones alone... the pattern is just a round donut, like a flashlight... meaning you will glare at EVERYONE. Adjusting the lights to prevent glare causes another problem-- then you can't see crap

the euro-clear crap is on the left. a proper projector is on the right

even J30 (halogen) projectors are better than that... their lowbeam is like this:

or DEPO E36 (also halogen) housings (hotspot and crappy peripheral is caused by a flaked-off chrome coating on the headlight bowl. output from a brand new one would be MUCH better)
DAMN I LOVE THIS WEBSITE BUT I REALLY DO LIKE THE LOOK/STYLE OF THE LIGHTS BUT I DO SEE WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT IS THERE A WAY THAT I CAN JUST CLEAN OUT THE ONES I HAVE NOW? AND MY DRIVER SIDE LAMP SEEMS TO BE POINTING UP IN THE AIR AND THE OTHER POINTS DOWN I CANT REALLY TELL BUT WHOEVER HAD THE CAR BEFORE ME WREAKED IT AND THE LEFT LAMP IS KINDA PUSHED IN AND THA GRILLE IS TILT CAN I JUST REPLACE THE BAR OR IS IT A PART OF THE FRAME? -***SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS***-

Last edited by Infam0usMax; 01-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM
mod or sell?

Just makes you want to call them up and ask why, just so you can hear them stumble around for a sensible answer..
I know why
3 drivers with 2 cars vs 3 drivers with 3 cars
additional car discount and lowering of mileage driven per car.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM

Two questions:

1. Why the hell won't the site let me create a new thread?

2. I just bought an 89 SE that had been stolen. The thief snatched the lock cylinder out of the housing, then hotwired it. I don't have any keys to the car. The four wire that were ripped out of the back of the cylinder housing are black/ yellow stripe, white/ red stripe, black/ white stripe, blue, and black/ green stripe. I know the black/ green wire engages the starter after the other four are connected together. I'll eventually get all the locks changed out with wrecked Max so I can key start it, but until then I'd like to set up a push start system with a starter kill switch hidden somewhere. I already have an idea for the kill switch, I just don't know how to set up the other switch and push button. Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by teamshultz
Two questions:

1. Why the hell won't the site let me create a new thread?

2. I just bought an 89 SE that had been stolen. The thief snatched the lock cylinder out of the housing, then hotwired it. I don't have any keys to the car. The four wire that were ripped out of the back of the cylinder housing are black/ yellow stripe, white/ red stripe, black/ white stripe, blue, and black/ green stripe. I know the black/ green wire engages the starter after the other four are connected together. I'll eventually get all the locks changed out with wrecked Max so I can key start it, but until then I'd like to set up a push start system with a starter kill switch hidden somewhere. I already have an idea for the kill switch, I just don't know how to set up the other switch and push button. Any ideas?
1) you don't have 15 posts (see the FAQ)
2) as a security precaution, I do not believe we are allowed to say how to wire this up. if one of the more senior members here wants to PM you about how to set it up, I believe that may be okay.

(sorry)
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Fair enuff, thanks.

3. I just noticed that when I'm driving and I rev the engine, the RPMs jump but the tranny isn't engaging anything. Like it's not in gear. It only does it when I give it more than a moderate amount of gas in 2-5 gears. When the RPMs drop back down I can feel it grab again. What could be causing this?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Update

if all goes right we might have one available from Sam that has 60k on it, with a full fluid exchange every 3rd engine-oil change. Doesn't get much better-maintained than that.

MaxZap where do you live?
srry for not responding but i've been running around like a chicken w/ its head cut off. I was gonna just give up on the max and get something new... but i glad i kept at it. I have come across a vg 5speed with a blown motor , so im helping a friend drop my motor in it. should have it back within the next 2 days. Im so happy im able to stay apart of the 3rd gen comunity but from now on ill be tearing the streets up with some manual vg power! WooT!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MaxZap
srry for not responding but i've been running around like a chicken w/ its head cut off. I was gonna just give up on the max and get something new... but i glad i kept at it. I have come across a vg 5speed with a blown motor , so im helping a friend drop my motor in it. should have it back within the next 2 days. Im so happy im able to stay apart of the 3rd gen comunity but from now on ill be tearing the streets up with some manual vg power! WooT!
oh cool. helping a friend? is it gonna be their car or yours? (in soviet russia, friend helps you! )
Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How many quarts does the '92 VG motor take?? I havent changed the oil on this thing since uhh June, I got motor oil from where I used to work (Toyota) because the oil level light was coming on, and put in two quarts. That was in September.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 PM

oh cool. helping a friend? is it gonna be their car or yours? (in soviet russia, friend helps you! )
gona be mine, i just neeed his knoe how
Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by mymaximasucks
How many quarts does the '92 VG motor take?? I havent changed the oil on this thing since uhh June, I got motor oil from where I used to work (Toyota) because the oil level light was coming on, and put in two quarts. That was in September.
4.3 quarts..
Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speakers/Amps and Radio

Hello. new here. I have an 89 Max. Grey 5-speed 139,000 miles All original In case your wondering. But anyway You all know that the cd player breaks and the amps go bad. And mine have, So where can i find new ones, especially the radio/cd player since i do not have the original anymore. I can not find any of these anywhere, but i have not tried Nissan directly yet. Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 PM

you can try ebay, or scrapyards. local ads too, ive found lots of junked maximas with working radios and other parts in them on local ads

you could get a aftermarket deck like a pioneer or JVC too, $100ish and if you dont want to install it yourself it shouldnt be much to pay someone to do.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ekoostik9
Hello. new here. I have an 89 Max. Grey 5-speed 139,000 miles All original In case your wondering. But anyway You all know that the cd player breaks and the amps go bad. And mine have, So where can i find new ones, especially the radio/cd player since i do not have the original anymore. I can not find any of these anywhere, but i have not tried Nissan directly yet. Thanks in advance
buy a used aftermarket H/U and some cheap speakers and just wire around the amps.
it is the cheapest way to get music back in your car.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

buy a used aftermarket H/U and some cheap speakers and just wire around the amps.
it is the cheapest way to get music back in your car.

Well im kind of a stickler about being stock, and i really like the sound of the Bose, but i see your point

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)