3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm located in stillwater oklahoma.... a bit far from NC

This is a 94 GXE.... so I take it the best option is a 5sp trans from a older SOHC? I'll have to read that swap blog soon....
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dalez0r

This is a 94 GXE.... so I take it the best option is a 5sp trans from a older SOHC? I'll have to read that swap blog soon....
well the DOHC tranny is better... it has VLSD. I actually have one of those now. I ranthe SOHC m/t from feb-oct. the m/t is now in my friend's maxima that i put the parts car's motor (and that tranny, from the same parts car) into. If you can get the VLSD tranny (best if you get a whole parts car) that's better than just getting a VG m/t. only thing you won't get from a VE5 parts car tho, is the flywheel, cuz VE has 8 bolts and VG has 6.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Dalez0r

well, okc is only a *few* minutes away....
PM sent
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 AM

Problems with my baby maxima

Its cold here in Utah and my car takes forever to heat up is there any thing I can do to make my car heater work faster.

What could be the problems with my power window now of them will go down and my driverside window is keep falling down so i had to put a broken mop handle so it want fall down should i just take it into a shop and have them fix all the power windows and put my driverside window back on track.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 1993maximaTAG
Its cold here in Utah and my car takes forever to heat up is there any thing I can do to make my car heater work faster.
Its possible that the thermostat is stuck open
Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

What could be the problems with my power window now of them will go down and my driverside window is keep falling down so i had to put a broken mop handle so it want fall down should i just take it into a shop and have them fix all the power windows and put my driverside window back on track.
make sure that your coolant system is properly bled, this will help alot.

your regulators are dead. if you can hear the motor whirring with the switch, you can get just the regulator. just dont get used. they are a common problem (for a 14+ year old car).
Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Its possible that the thermostat is stuck open

How can i find out if the thermostat is stuck open and where can i find the location of the thermostat.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem of my power windows
Old 12-09-2008, 09:06 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

How can i find out if the thermostat is stuck open and where can i find the location of the thermostat.
Is your temp needle staying @ the cold mark after driving? if yes, then you need to replace the thermostat. If no, then you may need to have the air bled out of the cooling system.

Location of t-stat--> http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/z...528007625b.gif

Do you have any idea what could be the problem of my power windows
Bad regulators..

Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ignition coil wire needed

Ok ill try to make this simple. Im new here have a problem with my maxima 1992.
My car recently stop turning on. we checked some basics and figured my battery is dead so we purchased a new battery.We figured if the alternator is bad the car should start anyways with the new battery. It didn't. So we started looking more in the motor and found out that the wire that comes out the ignition coil(not the side that goes to the distributor) which has a plug .After this plug this wire had what looks like a relay of some kind that particular piece was melted .We picked off the melted pieces and found contacts in it we tested them and when the car ignition is on. The little contacts inside have power but they are not connected (burnt out) .Obviously I know i need this. my problem is What is the name of that piece ,where do i get it (don't say ebay ,tried it or the junk yard all the cars i checked were missing it with the ignition coil).The other thing is what would have caused that piece to melt and burn out the little connectors inside.

Please help i cant drive the car and I definitely need it on the road. I have enclosed an image that shows the ignition coil with the wires that i need connected to it.

If picture did not post please check the following address to see the pic of what im talking about

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&...on+coil&m=text

**forgot to mention the car sounds like it want to turn on when the key is turn to the on position and engine belts move a little but car won't turn on starter is working ***

Last edited by killaklownspaintball; 12-09-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by killaklownspaintball
Ok ill try to make this simple. Im new here have a problem with my maxima 1992.
My car recently stop turning on. we checked some basics and figured my battery is dead so we purchased a new battery.We figured if the alternator is bad the car should start anyways with the new battery. It didn't. So we started looking more in the motor and found out that the wire that comes out the ignition coil(not the side that goes to the distributor) which has a plug .After this plug this wire had what looks like a relay of some kind that particular piece was melted .We picked off the melted pieces and found contacts in it we tested them and when the car ignition is on. The little contacts inside have power but they are not connected (burnt out) .Obviously I know i need this. my problem is What is the name of that piece ,where do i get it (don't say ebay ,tried it or the junk yard all the cars i checked were missing it with the ignition coil).The other thing is what would have caused that piece to melt and burn out the little connectors inside.

Please help i cant drive the car and I definitely need it on the road. I have enclosed an image that shows the ignition coil with the wires that i need connected to it.

If picture did not post please check the following address to see the pic of what im talking about

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&...on+coil&m=text

**forgot to mention the car sounds like it want to turn on when the key is turn to the on position and engine belts move a little but car won't turn on starter is working ***
This it?

I have no idea what the part is called,or where you could get it, besides the dealer. You might want to try asking someone in the parts classifieds if they could cut the part off their car for you.

why it burnt up is the big question, again, sorry, no idea why, this is the first time i have ever seen a post about this particular part, and i've been around here a while!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 AM

Oil filter

Quick question

I was putting a new oil filter on, and the wrench managed to dent the filter. Did the same to the filter I removed, but I didn't notice until I put the new one on.

So I was wondering if this filter was fine to use?

Thanks

P.S. Anyway to set image size?

Last edited by Greeny; 12-09-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I resized the pic. (refer to the "how to post a picture" sticky for resize instructions)

You need to NOT use the filter wrench to tighten the filter, only to loosen. Hand tighten the filter only.

Yes, replace the filter..
Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 AM

okay thanks,

the instructions said 3/4 to 1 turn with the wrench :X
Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maximum with lots of Head Aches

I have a 1990 SE Maximum with an exhaust leak and my question is, WHAT is the deal with the front side exhaust manifold!!! Why are they so hard to get hold of? I can find dozens of the rear or Left side ones but none of the front side ones (by the radiator). I have gone to website after website and nothing, I did manage to find a guy on ebay claiming to have one for sale, I even called him to make sure it was the right one, but when it arrive… WRONG it was a lefty!! I really don’t see paying $200 for a new one when I know there are used ones out there. So I am reaching out to anyone with knowledge of such an item and that is willing to sell it to PLEASE contact me or let me know where I can get one.
Thanks,
Mike O
Old 12-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Go to a junk yard if you need one. But I can almost guarantee you it is the exhaust manifold studs and not the manifold itself. Do a search on exhaust manifold studs. The OEM units all break eventually and should be replaced with Z31 turbo studs. You can buy them from any dealer or go to courtesyparts.com
Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maximum with lots of Head Aches

I would like to think it is just the studs, but I just bought the car and the seller said it had a cracked manifold and so when I inspected it a little closer to replace it; it seems that he tried to replace the manifold himself and broke off 5 of the studs which are now replaced. Junk yard are a good idea, thanks.

Here is another problem I have encountered.. #4 cylinder is not firing, there is good spark to the plug (it was tested) new plug, compression is consistent with the other cylinders, but when you remove the wire from the plug there is no change in rpms. I'm thinking maybe a fuel injector? If it is can they be cleaned if plugged or better to replace?

Mike O
Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Yes, it is most likely the fuel injector. Always buy new ones, never remanufactured ones. Try internetautosupply.com
Old 12-09-2008, 01:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Mike:

you most likely have a dead injector on #4, replacement is the only option, as nissan injectors fail electrically, not clog.

Edit: maxiturd beat me
Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok this is great, I’m making progress.
Thanks a bunch!

Next thing that’s wrong is the Bose stereo system, there’s power to the stereo unit, but there’s no sound coming out of the speakers. I checked all the connections and the wiring is good. The only thing I could get out of the schematic was maybe a switch which somehow powers the amps on the speakers. I looked for this “switch” and couldn’t find anything. I also plugged in another stereo unit and still no sound, Any light on this problem?

Mike O

Last edited by MikeO244; 12-09-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by MikeO244
Ok this is great, I’m making progress.
Next thing that’s wrong is the Bose stereo system, there’s power to the stereo unit, but there’s no sound coming out of the speakers. I checked all the connections and the wiring is good. The only thing I could get out of the schematic was maybe a switch which somehow powers the amps on the speakers. I looked for this “switch” and couldn’t find anything. I also plugged in another stereo unit and still no sound, Any light on this problem?

Mike O
Yes, i have some great advice on this issue, completely ditch the entire bose system. you are ice skating up hill trying to keep these old **** oem systems up-n-running. gut it out, replace with all aftermarket components.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haha, thats some good advice.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

lol, I'm full of useless info..

Old 12-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
This it?

I have no idea what the part is called,or where you could get it, besides the dealer. You might want to try asking someone in the parts classifieds if they could cut the part off their car for you.

why it burnt up is the big question, again, sorry, no idea why, this is the first time i have ever seen a post about this particular part, and i've been around here a while!!
it's the condensor/resistor for the ignition.

to OP: i'm going to the JY tomorrow if you want me to pick one up and test it on my car and if it works, let you buy it. PM me
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
it's the condensor/resistor for the ignition.
Source of info?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Source of info?
the FSM.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

the FSM.

thank you sir
Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 AM

About how long would it take to remove the lug studs off of a 91 Maxima?

yeah, umm i kinda stripped like ALL 5 of them in the right rear, and only 2 in the right front . I was trying to fit some 17'' RS rims from a Talon onto the Max, but i didnt know that the lugs were gonna be too small... help plz??
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a million for posting better pics of what im looking for I also got the message from the other guy about the name -condenser and resistor This site is awesome and you guys are great
Old 12-10-2008, 08:14 AM

G35 7 spoke Rims

I just want to know wut is the difference between the front and the rear G35 rims? Are the offsets different?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by chunkysause7
I just want to know wut is the difference between the front and the rear G35 rims? Are the offsets different?

[/IMG]
http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheel...s-maximas.html
Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey caped cadaver ! have you had any luck in searching for the condenser and resister .If any one can find one at a reasonable price please pm me. I need a condenser and resistor for the ignition for a 1992 max.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

hey caped cadaver ! have you had any luck in searching for the condenser and resister .If any one can find one at a reasonable price please pm me. I need a condenser and resistor for the ignition for a 1992 max.
I have to go to the j-yard sometime today(if it stops raining) or tomorrow, I will chop one out for you if i see one.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1990 Odometer/Tripometer works intermittently

Have a 1990 Gxe with approx: 115k miles. Everthing works on the vehicle except the odometer/tripometer. It works intermittent. If I play with the tripometer I can get it to work sometimes for a couple of miles maybe. Any fixes for this or do I need a new odometer? Can I buy just the odometer? part #? Thanks again for trying to help.

Bob
Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by macmax
Have a 1990 Gxe with approx: 115k miles. Everthing works on the vehicle except the odometer/tripometer. It works intermittent. If I play with the tripometer I can get it to work sometimes for a couple of miles maybe. Any fixes for this or do I need a new odometer? Can I buy just the odometer? part #? Thanks again for trying to help.

Bob
You can get the odometer by itself BUT it's $110. I'm thinking you probabaly have a bad drive motor, or a slipping drive gear, for the odometer. Take the cluster out and the front clear and black plastic pieces off. then remove the fuel gauge, and then the odometer assembly. check all the plastic gears for cracks (especially where they grip the shaft) and also remove the motor and see if it spins smoothly by hand, or if it 'catches' on anything. I had one that had both problems (cracked gears and bad motor). Once you find your problem, go to the jy and pull apart one of their clusters and take what you need. Or better yet buy a whole 89-91GXE cluster (or other style, if you like the cursive of the 92-94GXE, or the white face of the SE cluster), swap the odometer parts you need, and keep the rest as a spare.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

anyone had any luck finding the condenser 1992 max

Did anyone have any luck finding the ignition condenser resistor for my maxima 1992? please reply .
:attention
I have to go to the j-yard sometime today(if it stops raining) or tomorrow, I will chop one out for you if i see one.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sorry mang, i looked at 12 maximas at the pull-a-part today, none of them had the resistor, hell, most of them didn't even have the engine or engine harness. most of the idiots pulling engines at these places just cut the entire engine harness, instead of unplugging them. yeah, it's quicker, but others loose out on good usable parts.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Did anyone have any luck finding the ignition condenser resistor for my maxima 1992? please reply .
:attention
i went today and found a few but didn't get anything cuz i figured greeny was getting one for you... but i asked him and he said what he just posted 1 post up, so, when i go back i'll get one for you. do you want another coil as well? or just the condensor? your harness should be fine.. if i chop part of the harness you'll have to go cutting and splicing and really just popping the new condensor thing in there should be enough.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can get the odometer by itself BUT it's $110. I'm thinking you probabaly have a bad drive motor, or a slipping drive gear, for the odometer. Take the cluster out and the front clear and black plastic pieces off. then remove the fuel gauge, and then the odometer assembly. check all the plastic gears for cracks (especially where they grip the shaft) and also remove the motor and see if it spins smoothly by hand, or if it 'catches' on anything. I had one that had both problems (cracked gears and bad motor). Once you find your problem, go to the jy and pull apart one of their clusters and take what you need. Or better yet buy a whole 89-91GXE cluster (or other style, if you like the cursive of the 92-94GXE, or the white face of the SE cluster), swap the odometer parts you need, and keep the rest as a spare.
OK, Thanks for the heads up.. If I get a chance I am going out to the local pick n pull Sunday and see what they have. I will report back once I attempt the repair. I read somewhere that it could be the vehicle speed sensor.. Is that possible?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by macmax
OK, Thanks for the heads up.. If I get a chance I am going out to the local pick n pull Sunday and see what they have. I will report back once I attempt the repair. I read somewhere that it could be the vehicle speed sensor.. Is that possible?
if the speedometer is working fine, then no, the vss is fine. if it works intermittently, there is a test in the fsm to verify its function.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey CAPED CADAVER please pick one of the condensers up for me if you find one that has the coil go ahead and grab it please contact me asap once you have one i sent you my email through a pm if you cant find it let me know .thanks for all your help .Greeny I also appreciate all you have done .you guys are alright .

Last edited by killaklownspaintball; 12-13-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)