3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
A little more of the update on the problem! I managed to get out of the car when the instrument panel went out and noticed that tail lights were out as well. Is this the TCU like you said before? If so, where can I get my hands on that?
before you go and buy a new tcu, go thru and check wiring, between the fuse box and the tcu, and, if you have an aftermarket headunit, check the wire for the dimmer.
I got a "new" tcu (and to make sure you understand, this one is the "Time Control Unit", not the tranny computer) from my local junk yard for about $5.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
before you go and buy a new tcu, go thru and check wiring, between the fuse box and the tcu, and, if you have an aftermarket headunit, check the wire for the dimmer.
I got a "new" tcu (and to make sure you understand, this one is the "Time Control Unit", not the tranny computer) from my local junk yard for about $5.
Thanks man. I don't know if it is bad. What I was trying to say was where is it in the car? Is it behind the instrument panel? I do have a head unit in there to run the HUD, but I think that it is just about curtains for that unit as it only works when it is blazing hot (probably some circuit work needs to be done).
Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tail light fuse likes to go "bang"

I just purchased a 1993 Maxima and drove it at night for the first time today, and I discovered that the tail lights were not working. I pulled in to Wal-Mart and grabbed some bulbs (the car came with the original manual ). I replaced the bulbs, of which only one looked burnt out. I turned on the lights and they worked. Yippee! I exclaimed, but when I turned the car on, "pop"!

So, I checked the fuses, and the tail light fuse was blown. I run back into the store and picked up a multipack of fuses. The fuse keeps popping. I cursed my way home, riding the brake (the brake lights work just fine) while passing through cop infested areas.

When I got home, I removed the stereo hoping that it was a bad aftermarket stereo replacement. The stereo and wiring looked factory to me (all wires had shrink tubing and no bare wire showing anywhere).

I tore the trunk lining apart to see if there was anything from the wiring harness going wrong, but it all looked ok.

I have no clue what is up. I know almost nothing about these things, and there is no dealer within 50 miles of me.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by dung0beetle
I just purchased a 1993 Maxima and drove it at night for the first time today, and I discovered that the tail lights were not working. I pulled in to Wal-Mart and grabbed some bulbs (the car came with the original manual ). I replaced the bulbs, of which only one looked burnt out. I turned on the lights and they worked. Yippee! I exclaimed, but when I turned the car on, "pop"!

So, I checked the fuses, and the tail light fuse was blown. I run back into the store and picked up a multipack of fuses. The fuse keeps popping. I cursed my way home, riding the brake (the brake lights work just fine) while passing through cop infested areas.

When I got home, I removed the stereo hoping that it was a bad aftermarket stereo replacement. The stereo and wiring looked factory to me (all wires had shrink tubing and no bare wire showing anywhere).

I tore the trunk lining apart to see if there was anything from the wiring harness going wrong, but it all looked ok.

I have no clue what is up. I know almost nothing about these things, and there is no dealer within 50 miles of me.
First, screw the dealership. They are out to make you bend over for a price. Second, have you tried looking at the wiring near the fusebox? I had a similar sort of problem when I was working on wiring near that area and blew a fuse (battery was still hooked up. Won't make that mistake again).
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First, screw the dealership. They are out to make you bend over for a price. Second, have you tried looking at the wiring near the fusebox? I had a similar sort of problem when I was working on wiring near that area and blew a fuse (battery was still hooked up. Won't make that mistake again).
I have checked all the wiring that I can get to without taking apart the dashboard (I did take some of it apart to see if the dash lights were causing it). I have found nothing wrong.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM

I have checked all the wiring that I can get to without taking apart the dashboard (I did take some of it apart to see if the dash lights were causing it). I have found nothing wrong.
When does this problem happen? When you start the car, when you start it with the stereo on, or the lights on, etc.?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
mod or sell?

you have corrosion in your taillight sockets that is causing a short.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Has someone had this problem before?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Enough people have had it that it had become part of routine diagnostics for such problem.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Has someone had this problem before?
yup
Old 10-05-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yup
Ah, very good. Now I will know when I come across the problem myself!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The taillight sockets are clean and like new, that was one of the first things that I checked. Edit: I just re-checked the sockets (with a flashlight this time) and the contacts from the bulb had melted funky and jumped across the gap.
I scraped that crap off and put in new bulbs. Everything works now.

Thank you all who responded, this forum rocks!

Last edited by dung0beetle; 10-05-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: I am stupid
Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

The taillight sockets are clean and like new, that was one of the first things that I checked.
k.
my first solution after checking corrosion is tcu (see my post directly above your first one)
are your dash lights going out at the same time?
does the fuse pop instantly?
if "yes," check that as a possiblity.
also. check the harness inside the trunk, where the connectors "attach" to the lens back (thing... hell, I don't know what its called, but the white thing with the bulb mounts)
Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
mod or sell?

The taillight sockets are clean and like new, that was one of the first things that I checked. Edit: I just re-checked the sockets (with a flashlight this time) and the contacts from the bulb had melted funky and jumped across the gap.
I scraped that crap off and put in new bulbs. Everything works now.

Thank you all who responded, this forum rocks!
Glad you got it figured out.
maybe next time buy a higher quality bulb? I had that on one car.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad you got it figured out.
maybe next time buy a higher quality bulb? I had that on one car.
I have the long life ones in there now, and I plan to replace all my lights with led's.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

suspension question

Hi guys,
i have the 90 SE...have new rims and lowering but because of an accident will be gettin a new suspension set up but also it was due for one.... What i wanted to know was did anyone have any problems running the sprint springs with the konis? except harsh ride...like with the lower control arms or cv boots or even the drive shaft?....i intend on gettin the sprints of the KSport GTs with the yellow konis... thanks...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 PM

hey,
i have a 90 maxima and i was wondering if the 1986-87 300zx turbo head bolts are stronger and will it fit on my maxima??
Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ~V~max
hey,
i have a 90 maxima and i was wondering if the 1986-87 300zx turbo head bolts are stronger and will it fit on my maxima??
are you running a turbo that you need stronger head bolts?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM

are you running a turbo that you need stronger head bolts?

yes i am. i wanted suttin a lil stronger and wanted 2 know what fits or if u know any arp part numbers 2 go by
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

yes i am. i wanted suttin a lil stronger and wanted 2 know what fits or if u know any arp part numbers 2 go by
Read this thread--> http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ust-studs.html

Do you have any pictures of your turbo set up? we would love to see them.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my interior

i bought my '93 with black leather seats and brown panels. i know i can buy black door panels but wear can i get a new dash for cheap???
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by rman996
i bought my '93 with black leather seats and brown panels. i know i can buy black door panels but wear can i get a new dash for cheap???
junkyard and just look for one that isn't cracked. or a member that is parting their car out in the classifieds.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
sounds like one or the other. do you know how to test the resistance of the injectors?

I do now. Replaced the following: fuel injection tubing under the intake plenum, spark plugs, 1 fuel injector, valve cover gaskets, and most of the hoses under the hood.

This website and the people on it rock.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Read this thread--> http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ust-studs.html

Do you have any pictures of your turbo set up? we would love to see them.

no, no pics yet but ill get some soon. but i wanted 2 know about head bolts not exhaust bolts do z31 turbo head bolts fit lemme know thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

neewb

so i jus purchased a 92 gxe for the winter. the car is MINT inside and out.. even the engine. one thing i noticed was that the car idles around 600 which isnt all that abnormal, the rpm would go up and down by a tiny bit from time to time. so today i decided to see if the plugs would fix that problem. and also tried crc electrical cleaner on the MAF connector sensor. i did both, and also put some crc on the plug wires(dont know why but i wanted to try) and also TB cleaner into the TB. now the car acts weird.... the car takes longer to start, i have to put my foot on the gas to start it, the RPM at P is around 1100, but drops back down to 700 or so in other gears. The car use to PUTT around the exhasut area and that has stoped, but now its haveing a hard time to start.i have to floor the gas peddal in order for the car to fire up, but once its up, the car drives so smoothly just like b4 my stupid maintenance stuff. i plan on doing the wires and ect tomorrow, but is there anything else that i might have done to cause this?. can someone please help me out

-vince

Last edited by 92vince; 10-10-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 92vince
so i jus purchased a 92 gxe for the winter. the car is MINT inside and out.. even the engine. one thing i noticed was that the car idles around 600 which isnt all that abnormal, the rpm would go up and down by a tiny bit from time to time. so today i decided to see if the plugs would fix that problem. and also tried crc electrical cleaner on the MAF connector sensor. i did both, and also put some crc on the plug wires(dont know why but i wanted to try) and also TB cleaner into the TB. now the car acts weird.... the car takes longer to start, i have to put my foot on the gas to start it, the RPM at P is around 1100, but drops back down to 700 or so in other gears. The car use to PUTT around the exhasut area and that has stoped, but now its haveing a hard time to start.i have to floor the gas peddal in order for the car to fire up, but once its up, the car drives so smoothly just like b4 my stupid maintenance stuff. i plan on doing the wires and ect tomorrow, but is there anything else that i might have done to cause this?. can someone please help me out

-vince
Have you tried looking at the fuel injectors and the fuel filter?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i plan on replacing the fuel filter tonight just as a regular thing. but any other places i should start? i will be tryin to adjust the IACV to see if that helps. before all this crap tonight the car started just fine and never gave me a problem. but it sometimes idled funny, around 600 to 700 and would fluctuate somewhat, and the car would shake sometimes..

-vince
Old 10-11-2008, 10:41 AM

i plan on replacing the fuel filter tonight just as a regular thing. but any other places i should start? i will be tryin to adjust the IACV to see if that helps. before all this crap tonight the car started just fine and never gave me a problem. but it sometimes idled funny, around 600 to 700 and would fluctuate somewhat, and the car would shake sometimes..

-vince
I would expect that to be a bad filter. My friend has a 92 Camry (different beast entirely, I know) that has the same problem. He filled up somewhere in WV and apparently bought really sh*tty gas there. Ever since that event, he has been having trouble with the idle. Sometimes it even stalls out. He found that it was bad gas when he pulled the filter to find it thoroughly covered in black sludge. Sure, he has been through numerous filters and it is a matter of time before it works itself out, but I would figure that that could be your problem.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
mod or sell?

-vince
specifically what spark plugs did you install?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ngk copper. i got the problem fixed. chaged all the ignition stuff. and plus the coolant temp sensor, which looked pretty bad.

-vince
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 AM

hi i wanted 2 know about head bolts do z31 turbo head bolts fit my 90maxima vg30 lemme know thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

hi i wanted 2 know about head bolts do z31 turbo head bolts fit my 90maxima vg30 lemme know thanks
they should, they are both 2nd edition(?) vg30e.
pretty much the same engines, save pistons, and intake manifold, as far as I know.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

according to the courtesyparts website there looks to be some differences in the head bolts from z31 vg30 to maxima vg30's.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/300zx-z...2319_2324.html

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1612_1616.html
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stereo bracket removal help

hello,

i bought a sony cdx420ip stereo. as part of installation instructions, i have taken the casing off the ac/stereo. i am now at the part where i need to remove the bracket holding the stock stereo and put my new stereo in that bracket. i am having trouble taking this bracket off (unscrewing the screws). i took it to kragen, who said i should go to the dealer. i went to the dealer and they said that i have to buy a whole new bracket, which is hard to find and will cost me $20. does anyone here know how to remove these screws. this has really been aggravating me for a couple weeks now, and i would really like to get my stereo set up. any help is appreciated. thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by kobedaman24
hello,

i bought a sony cdx420ip stereo. as part of installation instructions, i have taken the casing off the ac/stereo. i am now at the part where i need to remove the bracket holding the stock stereo and put my new stereo in that bracket. i am having trouble taking this bracket off (unscrewing the screws). i took it to kragen, who said i should go to the dealer. i went to the dealer and they said that i have to buy a whole new bracket, which is hard to find and will cost me $20. does anyone here know how to remove these screws. this has really been aggravating me for a couple weeks now, and i would really like to get my stereo set up. any help is appreciated. thanks!
find a screw driver that fits perfectly and start tapping the head of it with a hammer while trying to turn the screw.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

find a screw driver that fits perfectly and start tapping the head of it with a hammer while trying to turn the screw.
the head of the unit or the screw???
Old 10-12-2008, 06:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by kobedaman24
the head of the unit or the screw???
head of the screwdriver.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"new" 92 Maxima running rough...when decides to run

nm

Last edited by mxid; 10-21-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by mxid
Hi, I just found you guys via google I just bought a 92 Maxima, thinking I got a good deal, but it started rattling like the hood's gonna blow off the same day The person who sold it to me filled it with cheapo gas right before selling it to me. Rough to start (even just dies backing out of a parking spot), rough idle, rough most speeds. My mechanic says it's running on only 5 cylinders & the fuel injector is dead & wants to charge $600 to replace it. Does this sound right? Unfortunately, I don't have enough mechanical skillset (i.e., none) yet to fix it myself without causing more harm. TIA!
$600 is very steep for a replacement for one injector. I would shop around and check some other mechanics. Alternatively, I believe there are several 3rd gen org members that are in or near the Houston area, perhaps they would be interested in helping you out. Replacing a fuel injector isn't hard in itself, but you will need some basic maintenance knowledge and a good tool set. Once you're in there, if you have the money, it would be a good idea just to replace all six injectors as they'll probably fail intermittently in the near future if they haven't been replaced previously.

A good way to check which cylinder isn't working is:

While your car is stumbling, leave it in park and pop the hood. Get something to hold it up because your hood struts are blown One by one, take out the spark plug wire for each cylinder, if you feel the engine get worse or it starts shaking more, that is a good cylinder, when you pull one and the idle stays the same, that is your cylinder that isn't firing.

Check spark plugs, wires, and if it is accessible, try to hook a multimeter up to the injector that you think is dead to check the ohm resistance.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by mxid
Hi, I just found you guys via google I just bought a 92 Maxima, thinking I got a good deal, but it started rattling like the hood's gonna blow off the same day The person who sold it to me filled it with cheapo gas right before selling it to me. Rough to start (even just dies backing out of a parking spot), rough idle, rough most speeds. My mechanic says it's running on only 5 cylinders & the fuel injector is dead & wants to charge $600 to replace it. Does this sound right? Unfortunately, I don't have enough mechanical skillset (i.e., none) yet to fix it myself without causing more harm. TIA!
I emailed/PM'd a local(to your area) 3rd gen guy that might take a look at your car for you.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)