3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by TheOtherDoc
I have a 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE with a SOHC VG30E motor. The motor (used, ~38,000 miles) was dropped in about 2 months ago after a head gasket blew on the original (~150,000 miles)... for two days after the new motor was in, it was difficult to start - it would crank and eventually start - sometimes taking 20-30 minutes to start up. Then the problem went away for two months, until it stalled out at a stoplight. Now it won't start at all. From reading the forums here, it sounds like the most likely candidate is one of the two crankshaft sensors... except that I can't find either of the sensors on the engine or the transaxle. The Haynes manual is wonderfully NOT helpful here, as the diagram below indicates that the sensor is located in a position that is completely devoid of sensors on my vehicle:
[IMG]http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/07/63/39//small/0900c15280076339.jpg[IMG]

Consulting the NAPA site, the two crankshaft sensors pictured look nothing like the sensors in the Haynes manual (and cost about 4x as much as what is pictured in Haynes). As of yet, I cannot locate anything to do with either crankshaft sensor in the FSM.

As far as the no-start issue goes, I have spark, I have fuel, and I have compression; cranking the starter will cause the distributor to turn.

Putting the ECM into diagnostic mode generates an error code for the CTS, but I don't think that this would prevent the car from starting?

Please help!
The crankshaft position sensor on the vg series engine is inside the distributor..
Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 AM

how do you pour something in the "crankcase" do i just pour it in with the oil?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
how do you pour something in the "crankcase" do i just pour it in with the oil?
yeah, unscrew the oil cap, and pour it inside the engine...this oil hole leads down to the oil pan, which is attached to the block<---AKA: The Crankcase...The "casing" for the crank..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/Infam0usMax On there is the day time vid you guys asked me to post to you could get a better understanding of where i had the cam but there is a lot more going on now with it since then the vides are harder and it shifts harder also there is vid of the engine in and out of gear it lifts up when in drive and when im driving down the road the car seem to not want to pull and i think there is a hole in the exhast system somewhere
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

NEW MAXIMA LIFE...

I WANT TO REBUILD MY MAXIMA FROM TOP TO BOTTOM WITH MODS AND FIX IT TO MAKE IT A SHOW CAR. ITS A 1992 MAXIMA SE AND I WAS WONDERING IF EVERYBODY COULD LIST SOME OF THE MODS THEY'VE DONE AND WHERE TO GET PARTS. I'VE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A FEW THINGS AND HAVE SOME PRETTY GOOD IDEAS AS TO WHAT I WANT MY CAR TO LOOK LIKE. BUT I WANT INPUT FROM PEOPLE AND SHARE THERE IDEAS. OH BTW FINDING PARTS FOR THIS CAR HAS BECOME A STRUGGLE, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
http://www.youtube.com/user/Infam0usMax On there is the day time vid you guys asked me to post to you could get a better understanding of where i had the cam but there is a lot more going on now with it since then the vides are harder and it shifts harder also there is vid of the engine in and out of gear it lifts up when in drive and when im driving down the road the car seem to not want to pull and i think there is a hole in the exhast system somewhere
Very simple, you have broken motor mounts..Both front and rear.

Also sounds like a dead miss in the first vid by the sound of the muffler, most likely an injector down..
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by marcus_maximus
I WANT TO REBUILD MY MAXIMA FROM TOP TO BOTTOM WITH MODS AND FIX IT TO MAKE IT A SHOW CAR. ITS A 1992 MAXIMA SE AND I WAS WONDERING IF EVERYBODY COULD LIST SOME OF THE MODS THEY'VE DONE AND WHERE TO GET PARTS. I'VE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A FEW THINGS AND HAVE SOME PRETTY GOOD IDEAS AS TO WHAT I WANT MY CAR TO LOOK LIKE. BUT I WANT INPUT FROM PEOPLE AND SHARE THERE IDEAS. OH BTW FINDING PARTS FOR THIS CAR HAS BECOME A STRUGGLE, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.
go here for exhaust. http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm

go here for brakes and chassis braces http://www.mattblehm.com/

go here for lots of things http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals-sponsors-forum-17/

go to http://www.stillen.com/browse.asp for more stuff.

go here for even more stuff http://nwpengineering.com/
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Very simple, you have broken motor mounts..Both front and rear.

Also sounds like a dead miss in the first vid by the sound of the muffler, most likely an injector down..
That just sucks and i just replaced the one in the front and i still cant seem to get my hands on some injectors for a good price. but thanks for looking at the vids man...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 AM

So I pulled of the electrical connector to my #3 injector and there was green dust in there( corrosion?).

Also there is no continuity between the terminals.

I'm guess this means it's dead, I'd just like a confirmation.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ObeyPixel
So I pulled of the electrical connector to my #3 injector and there was green dust in there( corrosion?).

yes, she be dead.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

if you need any help with it lemme know. i replaced my injectors a few months ago (granted, i used the wrong ones {259cc instead of 180cc}, so that's why it's all fubar now, but procedurally it all came out right) so it's still fresh in my mind
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm going to try and do it after work today, along with the valve cover gaskets.

I also notice that under hard shifting I can hear my blow off valve dump. Normally I would not care, but I don't have a turbo...

And as an aside, I have a spare HKS S-AFC lying around, does anyone think I'll get anything extra from a stock motor with a little fuel tuning?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm going to try and do it after work today, along with the valve cover gaskets.

I also notice that under hard shifting I can hear my blow off valve dump. Normally I would not care, but I don't have a turbo...

And as an aside, I have a spare HKS S-AFC lying around, does anyone think I'll get anything extra from a stock motor with a little fuel tuning?
huh? if you don't have a turbo then you don't have a BOV..... do you mean it's making a noise similar to a BOV?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Yes, I was trying to be cleaver.

But it makes that sound, and it does it when a BOV would do it, like when I shift at 4.5k rpms or so.

Just wondering if any one else has experienced this.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
mod or sell?

Yes, I was trying to be cleaver.

But it makes that sound, and it does it when a BOV would do it, like when I shift at 4.5k rpms or so.

Just wondering if any one else has experienced this.
have you had your AC running?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
have you had your AC running?
Yeah...

(please don't be broken ac please don't be broken ac please don't be broken ac)

It's just I haven't had a car with ac in such a long time...
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM

so got a call from warpspeed today y pipe shipped out today, I ordered it last sunday night WTF...my flex pipe broke the friday before I ordered the y pipe and it sounds like a honda derby car so as I thought I would be installing it today, thats was a joke so I cooked my side marker lights and painted inside black to match my e36 headlights and also painted the front bumper signals too so now when I get pulled over at least the cop can enjoy the front lights all matching as he gives me my loud exhaust ticket
Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by black94se
so got a call from warpspeed today y pipe shipped out today, I ordered it last sunday night WTF...my flex pipe broke the friday before I ordered the y pipe and it sounds like a honda derby car so as I thought I would be installing it today, thats was a joke so I cooked my side marker lights and painted inside black to match my e36 headlights and also painted the front bumper signals too so now when I get pulled over at least the cop can enjoy the front lights all matching as he gives me my loud exhaust ticket

Can I see some pics of the lights, I wanted to do something like that to mine.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
mod or sell?

Yeah...

(please don't be broken ac please don't be broken ac please don't be broken ac)

It's just I haven't had a car with ac in such a long time...
if you drive without the A/C on and it doesn't do it. Then it is a pressure bleed off of some sort. One of my old ones did that, I solved it by stopping driving like an idiot so I got better gas mileage and the compressor didn't build up excess pressure. There probably isn't much you can do about it. Don't worry too much about it.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Can I see some pics of the lights, I wanted to do something like that to mine.

first pic my camera didn't like the angle i tried to clean it up but it made it worst
Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Where can i find this grill

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by EdDii
Where can i find this grill

Here--> http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-2004-2008-48/
Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 AM

im looking at doing some suspension work after recently doing a 180 coming off a highway exit too fast and the first thing im looking for is a sway bar. ive found a few, best bet would be through stillen, and a few others, although the largest thickness i can find is only 3/4". are there any thicker sway bars out there??

also looking at lowering after i get a front strut bar. is there any chance in hell they make coilovers for the 3rd gen? if not, whats a good drop? i was thinking about 1.5"

also just swapped my tranny for another of the same year model also an automatic. i found an engine and tranny combo at the first junkyard i went to for $400. working 3 hours a day 3 days a week it took about a month and a total of 24 hours to swap it out working completely by myself, not too bad of a job i think. new tranny works great unless i floor it. takes a little bit longer to shift from 1st to 2nd but im not too worried about it. i would like to thank capedcadaver for all the info he gave on doing the auto-stick swap, ill be looking into that later.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

are there any coilover or lowering kits available for the maxima??? and i was wondering if anybody on this forum has ever "bagged" there car and what kind of work goes into a job like that? thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by austin from texas
im looking at doing some suspension work after recently doing a 180 coming off a highway exit too fast and the first thing im looking for is a sway bar. ive found a few, best bet would be through stillen, and a few others, although the largest thickness i can find is only 3/4". are there any thicker sway bars out there??

also looking at lowering after i get a front strut bar. is there any chance in hell they make coilovers for the 3rd gen? if not, whats a good drop? i was thinking about 1.5"
if you did a 180, the first thing I would check is the condition of your tires. Then struts.

are there any coilover or lowering kits available for the maxima??? and i was wondering if anybody on this forum has ever "bagged" there car and what kind of work goes into a job like that? thanks.
no coil overs, yes lowering springs. yes there have been bagged 3rd gens.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

along the lines of what brian said: fix your car. don't mod it, hoping the problem will go away.
I was in a wet parking lot (when I first got the car), and I TRIED to get it sideways. whole downshifting, while yanking the e-brake, etc., and couldn't get it more than 20* off straight, before it straightened out, or turned properly.

and this was on a stock car, with a broken rear sway bar mount (at the time).

so check your tires/struts sway bar mounts. fix the problems.

afterwords, good drop is aproximately... [eibach] inches.
but remember, if your struts are shot, you will make sure they are trash if you drop before fixing them [with at least tokicos].

Last edited by BenStoked; 05-28-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WSP Y-Pipe replacement rusted cat bolts

I just got my new wsp ypipe toady and within decent time i got the manifold bolts broken loose, but i can not get the stubborn cat bolts to budge. I have searched the org and tryed alot of the tricks to no avial. Breaker bar PB blaster even heat have no effect. I got most of the job done with hand tools, but not the two cat bolts. The flex section on the oem pipe is nearly broken at the end, it seems the harder i pull on the bolts the closer the system looks like its about to fall out......Any tips please
Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by trigger22x
I just got my new wsp ypipe toady and within decent time i got the manifold bolts broken loose, but i can not get the stubborn cat bolts to budge. I have searched the org and tryed alot of the tricks to no avial. Breaker bar PB blaster even heat have no effect. I got most of the job done with hand tools, but not the two cat bolts. The flex section on the oem pipe is nearly broken at the end, it seems the harder i pull on the bolts the closer the system looks like its about to fall out......Any tips please
I see two options:
1)drilling the bolts out (using new, stainless nuts and bolts)
2)and let a shop finish.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 AM

wow took over a week just to get them to say they shipped it out for me then they emailed me the next day and asked what it was again so sounds like they still didn't ship it to me????still no tracking number

Last edited by black94se; 05-29-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM

also just swapped my tranny for another of the same year model also an automatic. i found an engine and tranny combo at the first junkyard i went to for $400. working 3 hours a day 3 days a week it took about a month and a total of 24 hours to swap it out working completely by myself, not too bad of a job i think. new tranny works great unless i floor it. takes a little bit longer to shift from 1st to 2nd but im not too worried about it. i would like to thank capedcadaver for all the info he gave on doing the auto-stick swap, ill be looking into that later.
wow i used to do a 120mph on icy highways while it was snowing i skidded a few times i had to use the ebrake a few times but i never ever came close too doing a 180

get ur tires replaced....... but if u got the money for coilovers then get a set of KONI struts & eibach springs which has 1.2" drop its not reccomended to go much lower and you can stiffen suspension with a lower tie bar rear parrellel kit or a rstb from blehmco.com as for a sway bar i know st suspension also makes 3/4" thick one which should be thick enough
theres a sale going on in the classifieds (sry no coilover) http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...free-ship.html
Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

cut the cat bolts off.
use sawzall, dremel, hack saw, cutting torch, etc and cut the bolts off.

once it's cut pull off old y-pipe. use a hammer and punch out the stud on the cat flange.

go to pep girls and pick up metric M8 bolts, nuts, washers, tube of anti seize, high temp paint.

thread new hardware with gasket on flange and tighten. use anti seize on the threads and spray the entire mess w/ high temp paint.

if you have the $, time, and if there's a place local switch up to stainless hardware.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

wow i used to do a 120mph on icy highways while it was snowing i skidded a few times i had to use the ebrake a few times but i never ever came close too doing a 180
120mph on a icy highway?
if you pulled your ebrake then you wouldn't be here posting....so i give the entire story a
Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A buddy of mine just gave me and impact wrench so i just pbed, heated them and pbed them again i will let it soak in and will try the air wrench when i get off work. if theres no luck sawzaw it will be.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

A buddy of mine just gave me and impact wrench so i just pbed, heated them and pbed them again i will let it soak in and will try the air wrench when i get off work. if theres no luck sawzaw it will be.
trust me...save yourself the trouble and time and just cut it off. the impact still needs a swivel socket since it's not a direct shot...and the flange is tilted up so the higher nut is next to impossible. busted many many knuckles on it.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I used a dremel w/ a cutoff wheel for my y-pipe-to-cat nuts, just sliced the nut on both sides, then used a screwdriver/hammer to knock them off..
Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Greeny
I used a dremel w/ a cutoff wheel for my y-pipe-to-cat nuts, just sliced the nut on both sides, then used a screwdriver/hammer to knock them off..
dremel is too slow for me.
they rebuilt my dremel twice on one and once on a new one.
i'm getting tired of these things blowing up and smoking.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:37 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DanNY
dremel is too slow for me.
they rebuilt my dremel twice on one and once on a new one.
i'm getting tired of these things blowing up and smoking.
I have an old skool craftsman corded dremel, she's rough, tough, and keeps on truckin..
Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
120mph on a icy highway?
if you pulled your ebrake then you wouldn't be here posting....so i give the entire story a
if i pulled my ebrake i wouldn't be posting?

u can drive out here in northern ct that fast in the winter cuz there are no traffic cops sittin in the snow banks

........one time i was doin around 120 and sometimes snow will clump up between the lanes so the road would be sorta melted from cars driving over it......... so as i changed lanes and ran into that clump of snow separating the two lanes i lost control of steering and i couldn't brake it sorta felt like the snow was pushing back on the brake pedal itself....but the brakes weren't working and i couldn't steer it...since i was in the left lane going over an overpass i grabbed the ebrake i could feel the rear wheels immedietly lock up and sorta anchor the car down i came to a full stop in the middle of the freeway and i could see traffic behind me sorta slow down all together i slowly drove over the lane (when your not doing 120 the snow seperating the lanes doesn't really mess with u) and drove 65 all way back ...sorta of near death experience cuz i beleive that if i didn't grab the ebrake i woulda smacked into a weak lil metal gate thing and just flew off and down a hill or worse skidded a lil further and did a backflip off a bridge that went ova another road
Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

if i pulled my ebrake i wouldn't be posting?

u can drive out here in northern ct that fast in the winter cuz there are no traffic cops sittin in the snow banks
wouldn't be posting as in you'd be DEAD, ********!

so if no cops are around that automatically makes it OK to speed huh? you might take that back when you lose control going "120mph" on an icy road and slam head-on into a mom with her kid in the backseat, killing her, and leaving the kid w/o a mother. you're nothing but a scum if that's your attitude about driving.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
wouldn't be posting as in you'd be DEAD, ********!

so if no cops are around that automatically makes it OK to speed huh? you might take that back when you lose control going "120mph" on an icy road and slam head-on into a mom with her kid in the backseat, killing her, and leaving the kid w/o a mother. you're nothing but a scum if that's your attitude about driving.
well if thats your attitude ur basically saying its never okay to speed anywhere ever and im glad to hear u never go more than 5mph over the speed limit urself..... if thats what ur saying......but ur right speeding is illegal for very good reasons......remember kids street racing kills

......but i was wondering why he said that when in fact if i didn't use the ebrake then i would be dead

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)