3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Do the bulbs in the ACC use the same bulbs as the idiot lights in the cluster?

Asking cause I'm getting a new cluster, and have some bulbs burnt out in my ACC. Was going to take the bulbs from the old cluster and into my ACC if they are the same.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know if the 4th gen budget y-pipe will fit on the VE?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by citimax
Does anyone know if the 4th gen budget y-pipe will fit on the VE?

Thanks
not by a long long shot.

get a warpspeed ypipe.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
Do the bulbs in the ACC use the same bulbs as the idiot lights in the cluster?

Asking cause I'm getting a new cluster, and have some bulbs burnt out in my ACC. Was going to take the bulbs from the old cluster and into my ACC if they are the same.

Thanks.
don't believe so.
pretty sure you are suffering from the dreaded "broken solder joint"
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Carlos@Flawless Wheels
OK here is my noob question...
Do they sell black housing corner lights for the maxima? If so where can I get them. If they dont is it possible to take the stock ones apartto spray the back of them.
go one page back those or mine cooked in oven at 250* with a pan of water for 2 minutes or so each when you get them apart sand and paint the chrome housing black add sealant clamp together,cure,install
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 92 max with VE30GE engine all of sudden started running really rough. Put in new plugs new fuel filter cleaned mass air flow sensor. All the plugs are sparking but when idling(whichis rough) can pull all 3 back wires and nothing changes. Also when rev it up sucks tons of air into engine(sounds like i have a after market intake but dont) also no check engine light has come on.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by curbguy007
I have a 92 max with VE30GE engine all of sudden started running really rough. Put in new plugs new fuel filter cleaned mass air flow sensor. All the plugs are sparking but when idling(whichis rough) can pull all 3 back wires and nothing changes. Also when rev it up sucks tons of air into engine(sounds like i have a after market intake but dont) also no check engine light has come on.
sounds like you have some bad injectors, or a bad harness.
check your injector harness for cracks, or loose and unhooked connectors.
report back.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone, I am new to the boards and am happy to know there is a website for this car model.

Well, I am very new to cars and I am eager to learn how to install new speakers with a 89 Maxima with bose speakers. After researching some speakers on Crutchfield, I need some speaker brackets for the front car speakers. However, I do not know where to get a cheap one and a car dealership will just eat my money up. Is it something I actually need? (little more detail will be explained below)

Also, I plan to replace my front and rear speakers. However, I don't know where to start but I am familiar with the process after helping my friend years ago. Would subwoofers be something that I would also need to install for the back? What utensils would I need? Just speaker wires and somehow connect all of these to my head unit? (Sony Xplode GT330)

I am looking at Crutchfield items and these are what I have gathered up:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG4...2R.html?tp=105

^ Front door speakers

After reading the tab of the installation guide, I read this note: "Purchase the speaker brackets for the non-Bose system from your car dealer."

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG1...2R.html?tp=105

^ Rear speakers

And for my last question, is it worth it to put money for all of this for my 1989 Nissan Maxima? It has 180,000 miles on it at the moment. I would dislike how I spent so much money on it and then it just dies on me. The bose speakers that are on right now sound terrible and the front right one is blown. The rear speakers sound very quiet even when the volume is maxed out.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Noojin
Hello everyone, I am new to the boards and am happy to know there is a website for this car model.

Well, I am very new to cars and I am eager to learn how to install new speakers with a 89 Maxima with bose speakers. After researching some speakers on Crutchfield, I need some speaker brackets for the front car speakers. However, I do not know where to get a cheap one and a car dealership will just eat my money up. Is it something I actually need? (little more detail will be explained below)

Also, I plan to replace my front and rear speakers. However, I don't know where to start but I am familiar with the process after helping my friend years ago. Would subwoofers be something that I would also need to install for the back? What utensils would I need? Just speaker wires and somehow connect all of these to my head unit? (Sony Xplode GT330)

I am looking at Crutchfield items and these are what I have gathered up:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG4...2R.html?tp=105

^ Front door speakers

After reading the tab of the installation guide, I read this note: "Purchase the speaker brackets for the non-Bose system from your car dealer."

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG1...2R.html?tp=105

^ Rear speakers

And for my last question, is it worth it to put money for all of this for my 1989 Nissan Maxima? It has 180,000 miles on it at the moment. I would dislike how I spent so much money on it and then it just dies on me. The bose speakers that are on right now sound terrible and the front right one is blown. The rear speakers sound very quiet even when the volume is maxed out.
typical front speaker mounts are made from plywood or mdf.
sosche makes an adapter to wire an aftermarket hu to the factory wiring.
subs are a nice option, but they will need a hu with rca outs, and an amp to push it.
is it worth it? depends, but think so. I cheaped out, and got a free hu (sister totaled her car, and I ganked it before it got scrapped) , and some walmart speakers. well worth it, since it's my daily driver. no/crappy audio makes for a miserable drive when I want to rock out.
most maximas can reach 250k easily (vg's need the auto transmission replaced a few times during that....), so there if there is life left in your car, then yes, I believe it is worth it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply.

I never knew maximas last 250k. So I don't have to go to a car dealership with the speaker brackets? Where is it possible for me to find the mounts for this model? Could I just buy any mount and the pioneers would fit or would I have to buy a speicific mount for the pioneers?

Sorry I am still a bit lost >_<;
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Thanks for the reply.

I never knew maximas last 250k. So I don't have to go to a car dealership with the speaker brackets? Where is it possible for me to find the mounts for this model? Could I just buy any mount and the pioneers would fit or would I have to buy a speicific mount for the pioneers?

Sorry I am still a bit lost >_<;
99.9% of the mounts people on here have are made by hand. doesn't take much: a trace of the old bose mounts onto the mdf/plywood (mdf is preferred), a jigsaw to cut it out, and a trace of the speaker hole (many speakers come with a sheet with the cutout needed, just use scissors to cut it out, and trace it onto the speaker mount), and cut it out as well.
pretty sure there are no Nissan mounts for 6.5" speakers (typical front door replacement)

speakers are made (typically) to a standard size. if you buy 6.5" speakers, you can mount them in almost any 6.5" speaker hole. if you go with 5 1/4", you can put them in any 5 1/4" hole.

and my car has 245K on the odo, atm.
I believe greeny had over 400k on his, before he got fed up with fixing it.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interesting.

I am assuming this link is a perfect example of how to make a bracket then?

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269226

I am rather shocked that this is probably being sold at a high price at a car dealership when it looks so easy to make. Based off this diagram, the nails of the speakers are attached to the speaker basket? And then there are nails in the speaker basket that are nailed into the car panel door which is how it is stable?

Last edited by Noojin; 06-06-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Interesting.

I am rather shocked that this is probably being sold at a high price at a car dealership when it looks so easy to make. Based off this diagram, the nails of the speakers are attached to the speaker basket? And then there are nails in the speaker basket that are nailed into the car panel door which is how it is stable?
yes, its a good example, although the shapes are different.
(I am 100% sure that dealerships do NOT sell these brackets)
also, after re-looking at your first post, I would recommend 6.5" speakers in the front, 6x9" in the back. especially if you have bose.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need a bit of assistance with some stereo equipment, my maxima came without a radio in it and all the speakers are wired with that thick gauge speaker wire stuff (lack of a better word) and i would need to know what exactly to do to get a radio in and get the speakers wired up, also, i love fm radio and would like to know what to do with that dual pronged antenna wire, and if there is an adapter for it or something, any help would be nice.

Here are some pictures... And sorry for image size.

Wires going to speakers.

Antenna cord? How would I plug this into most stereos? An adapter?

Stock audio wiring, leads to speakers but not hooked up.

An adapter of some kind apparantly.

Last edited by TLM4590; 06-06-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 PM
mod or sell?

Interesting.

Originally Posted by TLM4590
I need a bit of assistance with some stereo equipment, my maxima came without a radio in it and all the speakers are wired with that thick gauge speaker wire stuff (lack of a better word) and i would need to know what exactly to do to get a radio in and get the speakers wired up, also, i love fm radio and would like to know what to do with that dual pronged antenna wire, and if there is an adapter for it or something, any help would be nice.

Here are some pictures... And sorry for image size.
Antenna cord? How would I plug this into most stereos? An adapter?

yes on both points
Stock audio wiring, leads to speakers but not hooked up.

An adapter of some kind apparantly.
yes it is an adapter that cover 89-99 maximas because one side is the 3rd gen the other side is 95+
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so how would i connect a new receiver to the gold wires that are hooked up to the speakers?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM
mod or sell?

so how would i connect a new receiver to the gold wires that are hooked up to the speakers?
just wire them directly to the HUs wiring harness.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
just wire them directly to the HUs wiring harness.
Sorry I know basically nothing about car audio, what is an "HU"?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

head unit.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 PM
mod or sell?

Head Unit. The part that actually goes into the dash board that you tune in radio stations on.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM

I30 clutch

i dont think it question is worth making a new thread over so ill just ask here. would a 95 I30 fit the vg30 tranny? i have been seeing that online that all the clutches are the same till like 2000 or something like that. i just wanna be sure. my clutch is gone and i need one soon
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Head Unit. The part that actually goes into the dash board that you tune in radio stations on.
Ah, thanks. Ill figure it all out eventually.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yes, its a good example, although the shapes are different.
(I am 100% sure that dealerships do NOT sell these brackets)
also, after re-looking at your first post, I would recommend 6.5" speakers in the front, 6x9" in the back. especially if you have bose.
So when I choose my car on crutchfield.com. It says thoses sizes wont fit the car model. I am assuming that they can be fit though?

Also, thanks for the image. I will be working on these brackets soon.

One last question,

So all I would need would be 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, and speakerwire in order to hook everything up? I would hate to purchase everything and forget to buy one item that I would need. Is there a connection that all of these goes to my Head Unit? Would I need an amplifier?

Last edited by Noojin; 06-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 AM
mod or sell?

So when I choose my car on crutchfield.com. It says thoses sizes wont fit the car model. I am assuming that they can be fit though?

Also, thanks for the image. I will be working on these brackets soon.

One last question,

So all I would need would be 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, and speakerwire in order to hook everything up? I would hate to purchase everything and forget to buy one item that I would need. Is there a connection that all of these goes to my Head Unit? Would I need an amplifier?
1. those are 6.5s in those brackets I made so they will work. I have other pictures of them in my gallery if you need.
2. you don't NEED speaker wire, you can easily reuse the existing wiring. I did it by cutting the connector off the amps and using the 2 thinner wires to go to my speakers. I used the connectors from the amp because it meant I could wire it to the speaker on a table and then just click it into place on the car without needing to use solder/tape/wire nuts/etc.... Much easier IMO
Originally Posted by vgkid
i dont think it question is worth making a new thread over so ill just ask here. would a 95 I30 fit the vg30 tranny? i have been seeing that online that all the clutches are the same till like 2000 or something like that. i just wanna be sure. my clutch is gone and i need one soon
The clutch is the same from 85-01. The transmission changes a couple of times though. Only a 3rd gen trans will bolt directly into a 3rd gen. That being said 89-91 manual trans is different than a 92-94 manual trans.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

1. those are 6.5s in those brackets I made so they will work. I have other pictures of them in my gallery if you need.
2. you don't NEED speaker wire, you can easily reuse the existing wiring. I did it by cutting the connector off the amps and using the 2 thinner wires to go to my speakers. I used the connectors from the amp because it meant I could wire it to the speaker on a table and then just click it into place on the car without needing to use solder/tape/wire nuts/etc.... Much easier IMO

The clutch is the same from 85-01. The transmission changes a couple of times though. Only a 3rd gen trans will bolt directly into a 3rd gen. That being said 89-91 manual trans is different than a 92-94 manual trans.
you sure that the 85-88 (manuals) won't fit directly on a 3rd gen? or are the mounts different or something? i know you can use a 2nd gen w-block VG in a 3rd gen if you swap out the external accessories.. never saw one way or the other about the manual trans.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
you sure that the 85-88 (manuals) won't fit directly on a 3rd gen? or are the mounts different or something? i know you can use a 2nd gen w-block VG in a 3rd gen if you swap out the external accessories.. never saw one way or the other about the manual trans.
pretty sure mounting is different, not 100% sure though
Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, since I am a newbie, and I need to ask a question, I hope this is OK.

I recently bought a 3rd Gen Max. The front windows were Jerry Rigged to high heaven (found a piece of bamboo inside one of them used as a wedge to hold the window up). I have since replaced the whole regulator/motor assembly and the front windows work beautifully.

So I now get to my problem. The rear windows do not work at all. No motor sound, nothing. I removed the door panel to see what kind of horrors awaited me inside. Much to my amazement, it appeared as if nobody had ever even been in there. I am not sure if it matters here, but from reading some things in other posts I feel this might be relevant, when the power window lock is depressed I cannot roll down the passenger side window from the driver side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If someone could PM me it would be great...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello maxima world. my car has a big electrical issue that i desperately need help with. my left headlight only works on low beam and not high beam. my right headlight only works high beam and not low beam. once in a blue moon both low beams would work but very rarely. and my dashboard ndshifter lights dont work. ive checked everything i could possibly check. and i dont want to give the car to an electrician. any ideas? thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by rman996
hello maxima world. my car has a big electrical issue that i desperately need help with. my left headlight only works on low beam and not high beam. my right headlight only works high beam and not low beam. once in a blue moon both low beams would work but very rarely. and my dashboard ndshifter lights dont work. ive checked everything i could possibly check. and i dont want to give the car to an electrician. any ideas? thanks
it's a bit early to freak. no fear, the pros are here.
headlights are probably just the light switch (they go bad)
if your tail lights are out too, check your fuses. if they are good, replace the Time Control Unit. it's blown.
please report back.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by rman996
Originally Posted by BenStoked
it's a bit early to freak. no fear, the pros are here.
headlights are probably just the light switch (they go bad)
if your tail lights are out too, check your fuses. if they are good, replace the Time Control Unit. it's blown.
please report back.
i'm assuming that you've replaced the bulbs already correct? being dual-filament bulbs, it's possible for one filament to break but the other one to be intact. even a broken filament could potentially dangle in such a way as to make intermittent contact (in theory) and work sometimes.

so, first check them (swap them with each other, see if the problem follows the bulb or if the problems stay put). if it stays put then it's probably the switch.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

will 19x8 ET37 rims with 225/35/19 tires fit on my 93 gxe?, i tried on the rears and they fit fine w/ no rubbing. how about the fronts? (car's not insured so i'm not able to just try em on and go for a spin around the block)
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Waiting and praying...LOL.

Is this a problem that will just require switching out the master window switch, or am I looking at a different beast...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by fightfreak
OK, since I am a newbie, and I need to ask a question, I hope this is OK.

I recently bought a 3rd Gen Max. The front windows were Jerry Rigged to high heaven (found a piece of bamboo inside one of them used as a wedge to hold the window up). I have since replaced the whole regulator/motor assembly and the front windows work beautifully.

So I now get to my problem. The rear windows do not work at all. No motor sound, nothing. I removed the door panel to see what kind of horrors awaited me inside. Much to my amazement, it appeared as if nobody had ever even been in there. I am not sure if it matters here, but from reading some things in other posts I feel this might be relevant, when the power window lock is depressed I cannot roll down the passenger side window from the driver side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If someone could PM me it would be great...
Originally Posted by fightfreak
Waiting and praying...LOL.

Is this a problem that will just require switching out the master window switch, or am I looking at a different beast...
The power window lock prevents any of the other windows from working, except the driver window. so yeah, it's working correctly..Do any of the windows work with the power lock button disengaged?? If they still don't work, then yes, you need to replace the master window switch..
Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The front windows work with the window lock disengaged, the back ones don't. No motor sound no response. They also do not work from the back door switches. Also trying from there, no sound at all from the windows.

Thanks, Greeny, for the help. If the additional info given changes anything, please let me know.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Garf
will 19x8 ET37 rims with 225/35/19 tires fit on my 93 gxe?, i tried on the rears and they fit fine w/ no rubbing. how about the fronts? (car's not insured so i'm not able to just try em on and go for a spin around the block)
i know this has been beaten into the round before but...

what offset are the wheels? 8" width is fine given the right offset. the wider the wheel, the more precise the offset has to be since there's less room on both sides.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, a little more info on my problem. When I press the switch for the driver rear window, I get a click, but not on the passenger rear. I really just don't want to buy that master switch only to find out that is not the problem.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 AM

Vg30e Transmission pull

So i was going over my Haynes manual getting prepared to pull a transmission for the first time and it says to remove the bolts from the torque converter that are attached to the flywheel u have to turn the engine over....what if this cant be done.... cuz the engine is seized how do i go around removing these bolts
Old 06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Funambulus
So i was going over my Haynes manual getting prepared to pull a transmission for the first time and it says to remove the bolts from the torque converter that are attached to the flywheel u have to turn the engine over....what if this cant be done.... cuz the engine is seized how do i go around removing these bolts
yea just use a 1/2" drive ratchet and 27mm socket to turn the engine over by hand after you have removed that bottom access plate. it's only 4 of those bolts.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM

I know this may be a dumb question but just for verification when looking at the engine/tranny from the side, engine close tranny farside, i would crank it clockwise correct?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Funambulus
I know this may be a dumb question but just for verification when looking at the engine/tranny from the side, engine close tranny farside, i would crank it clockwise correct?
yep, she spins to the right from that angle..

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)