3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Jeffy style CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Jeffy style CAI

Even though my blue VE is "fully modded", I've still been experiencing a bit of heat soak during these past few weeks. I really thought Aaron's spacers would nearly eliminate the issue, but that's probably asking a bit much from some plastic pieces. I figured the "HAI" I've been running probably contributed to the heat soak, but I didn't want to hack up my fender/frame rail as this car will eventually get the turbo set-up I built a few years back and I don't want the big hole there permanently.

I decided to do a Jeffy style CAI behind the headlight. It was really incredibly easy. I spent maybe a half hour total on it. Aside from the midpipe (which most with a "HAI" would already have) all you need is two 90 degree bends. You don't even need to weld any mandrel bends together or half-crap it together with offset/crooked/stretched couplers, because the two 90 degree bends work perfectly. All you've gotta do is cut a small piece out behind the headlight (I actually just made a cut across it and bent it down/over) and cut some length off one of the 90 degree bends. I just used my eBay CAI pipe for that, and the blue pipe is the lower end of my original WSP CAI (which itself is just a 90 degree bend).

Onto the pics:

I'll paint it and get some matching couplers as well as secure the fuse box another day. I'm just glad I've got a CAI again now. I forgot how noticeable these are on the butt-dyno, especially in the mid-range.

Also, for track days, removing the lower 90 degree bend lets you put the filter right on the end of the pipe (end of the blue pipe in my pics) where the headlight sits. Pretty cool and fits perfectly

Last edited by James92SE; 06-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

stupid proxy is blocking photobucket.
gotta wait for my phone to eventually load the web page....

Danny's smiley isn;t showing, either! gotta love my job

Last edited by BenStoked; 06-14-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Got Retrofit?

Nice job man.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM

You know what will be even better on the butt dyno? That turbo you're talking about!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
I miss my VE

Nice and clean. I love that color on your car. Thats good that theres only minimal cutting required. Do these set-ups really suck in air better then stock?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Nice and clean. I love that color on your car. Thats good that theres only minimal cutting required. Do these set-ups really suck in air better then stock?
Oh there's no question it's better than stock. The real debate over the years has been CAI vs. HAI

Some people on dynos have claimed there's no real benefit of a CAI over the HAI, but they usually fail to mention/keep in mind that a dyno is done with the hood open and a HUGE fan in front of the car, minimizing the "heat soak" effect of blazing hot air just sitting in the engine bay that you would experience in the "real world".

At least here in Texas, the CAI makes a world of difference
Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by James92SE
Oh there's no question it's better than stock. The real debate over the years has been CAI vs. HAI

Some people on dynos have claimed there's no real benefit of a CAI over the HAI, but they usually fail to mention/keep in mind that a dyno is done with the hood open and a HUGE fan in front of the car, minimizing the "heat soak" effect of blazing hot air just sitting in the engine bay that you would experience in the "real world".

At least here in Texas, the CAI makes a world of difference
Good point. I'll try to talk my friend into getting this set up for his VE.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isup...ch/intake.html

^ Some good reading I just picked up in the 4th gen section that pretty much confirms my HAI suspicions
Old 06-14-2010, 04:07 PM

I think it'll show good midrange numbers, but will become a bit restrictive due too it's lenght at higher RPM.....
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Way out West

looks good. Tell me where you buy the couplers from, especially if you get a good deal. I am still rocking the cut up massive radiator hose.

I have the entire Jeff CAI somewhere, but never have installed it because I had no splash guards. However, now that I have a good set of splash guards (thanks to my parts car) I might actually install the CAI pieces.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Gotta give Gone some credit too. We developed it on both our cars.

Cliff, the cai sits basically in the bumper so it probably would have been okay w/o the splash guards.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Gotta give Gone some credit too. We developed it on both our cars.
Ahhh, that's right. For some reason I was thinking you made it and he installed it on his car first. But props to Shawn/Shaun/Sean/Shonne as well

It makes me wonder why Place Racing and WSP and whatnot didn't just make this design originally with their CAI's. I mean, it seems more logical than having to cut a hole in the framerail/fender and it's only 2-3" longer than the WSP design (which jams the filter right into the framerail anyway) and is a huge PITA to get at the filter. But I guess hindsight is 20/20

CMax.. you're right about possibly limiting in the high RPM range, but the VE is so stout up top it shouldn't "hurt" it any. It's always been said that long CAI piping helps low/midrange and hurts top end, but on the VE that's perfectly fine with me
Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

idk about VEs but i know that on VGs the throttlebody has coolant passages running thru it. if the VEs have that.. wouldnt the benefits of a CAI be cancelled out by the heat of the coolant running thru the throttle body?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
idk about VEs but i know that on VGs the throttlebody has coolant passages running thru it. if the VEs have that.. wouldnt the benefits of a CAI be cancelled out by the heat of the coolant running thru the throttle body?
Not if your running a bypass. Even still it shouldn't bother it.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 AM

Even though my blue VE is "fully modded", I've still been experiencing a bit of heat soak during these past few weeks. I really thought Aaron's spacers would nearly eliminate the issue, but that's probably asking a bit much from some plastic pieces. I figured the "HAI" I've been running probably contributed to the heat soak, but I didn't want to hack up my fender/frame rail as this car will eventually get the turbo set-up I built a few years back and I don't want the big hole there permanently.

I decided to do a Jeffy style CAI behind the headlight. It was really incredibly easy. I spent maybe a half hour total on it. Aside from the midpipe (which most with a "HAI" would already have) all you need is two 90 degree bends. You don't even need to weld any mandrel bends together or half-crap it together with offset/crooked/stretched couplers, because the two 90 degree bends work perfectly. All you've gotta do is cut a small piece out behind the headlight (I actually just made a cut across it and bent it down/over) and cut some length off one of the 90 degree bends. I just used my eBay CAI pipe for that, and the blue pipe is the lower end of my original WSP CAI (which itself is just a 90 degree bend).

Onto the pics:

I'll paint it and get some matching couplers as well as secure the fuse box another day. I'm just glad I've got a CAI again now. I forgot how noticeable these are on the butt-dyno, especially in the mid-range.

Also, for track days, removing the lower 90 degree bend lets you put the filter right on the end of the pipe (end of the blue pipe in my pics) where the headlight sits. Pretty cool and fits perfectly

Thank you James. You just helped me realize what I wanted to do for a CAI. I don't like the way this ebay one goes together. Nor do I want to cut a whole into my inner fender.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ahhh, that's right. For some reason I was thinking you made it and he installed it on his car first. But props to Shawn/Shaun/Sean/Shonne as well

It makes me wonder why Place Racing and WSP and whatnot didn't just make this design originally with their CAI's. I mean, it seems more logical than having to cut a hole in the framerail/fender and it's only 2-3" longer than the WSP design (which jams the filter right into the framerail anyway) and is a huge PITA to get at the filter. But I guess hindsight is 20/20

CMax.. you're right about possibly limiting in the high RPM range, but the VE is so stout up top it shouldn't "hurt" it any. It's always been said that long CAI piping helps low/midrange and hurts top end, but on the VE that's perfectly fine with me
Also where the place racing puts the filter, it gets dirty as hell. As in rocks, dirt and other crap in your filter type of dirt. Also getting at the filter is way easier. Just remove the headlight.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM

Yeah my VQ35 is a beast @ low/mid/hi rpm and my ex-Injen intake (39" long, 3" tubing) wasn't able too pass air thru it fast enough for the engine's demands @ hi rpm! I found that the SRI better suited for higher rpm power.....Same as any air passage on the exhaust or intake side....longer for torque, shorter for Hi rpm.....That's my point!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice you made a straw :P
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
Yeah my VQ35 is a beast @ low/mid/hi rpm and my ex-Injen intake (39" long, 3" tubing) wasn't able too pass air thru it fast enough for the engine's demands @ hi rpm! I found that the SRI better suited for higher rpm power.....Same as any air passage on the exhaust or intake side....longer for torque, shorter for Hi rpm.....That's my point!
so build a setup with a long pipe and a short pipe, with a way to switch between them on the fly, all before the MAF. complicated but might work if you could find a way to make it switch from long pipe to short pipe at the right rpm.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM

That looks Sic epecially for future references!!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
so build a setup with a long pipe and a short pipe, with a way to switch between them on the fly, all before the MAF. complicated but might work if you could find a way to make it switch from long pipe to short pipe at the right rpm.
An exhaust cutout on the intake with an electric control solenoid.......triggered by a rpm triggered switch......frankenstein style

Last edited by CMax03; 06-22-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
An exhaust cutout on the intake with an electric control solenoid.......triggered by a rpm triggered switch......frankenstein style
get on it lol