4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Jack up the car and make sure the wheels spin freely. Press and release brakes and make sure they still spin freely again. New brakes must be broken in, your supposed to go real easy on the first few stops, allowing them to cool each time while using them harder and harder. You did use disc brake grease right? Also, did you use brake cleaner to take the anti-corrosion treatment off of the new rotors? anyways, jack it up and let us know.
I'll go jack up the car right now to try that out. Disc brake grease uhhh not sure that you mean I use synthetic grease on the pins, very little and made sure they slide very easy. ANd then I used a special alcohol base cleaner on the rotors which took the anti-corrosion treatmeant off.

I followed this website STEP by STEP and did every thing it said.
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/301
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/302
Old 10-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Maintenance Monster

It's entirely possible you smelled the brakes because they were still bedding in. If you hadn't just changed the fronts, I would have suggested you see if it's a rear caliper since the e-brake cable sometimes get damaged and don't fully release tension.

I would lift the front of the car and rotate the wheel. You should feel just a little bit of drag due to the pads and differential, but that's about it. With an LSD it may be a little more drag since you're turning more stuff inside the tranny.

Dave
Old 10-07-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
It's entirely possible you smelled the brakes because they were still bedding in. If you hadn't just changed the fronts, I would have suggested you see if it's a rear caliper since the e-brake cable sometimes get damaged and don't fully release tension.

I would lift the front of the car and rotate the wheel. You should feel just a little bit of drag due to the pads and differential, but that's about it. With an LSD it may be a little more drag since you're turning more stuff inside the tranny.

Dave
ok thanks. I just lifted my car and spun the tires, they would only spin for like 3 or 4 inches after my hand stop pushing them. I then had my dad press the breaks while I spun them, and they stopped instantly, so I know they work. Roughly how many km's until the new break pads wear in? If it does continue to smell does that mean the pins are arn't loose enough? I'm pretty sure when I was doing the pins (cleaning them up and regreasing) that I made sure they slide extremely easy. thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 AM

another question too, I've been trying to search for threads about "brakes" and "fixing brakes" but I can't find a search button to search for it. Is there even one?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FX45
I'm pretty sure when I was doing the pins (cleaning them up and regreasing) that I made sure they slide extremely easy. thanks
Originally Posted by nismology
When you put too much grease on the pins it creates a vacuum that draws the pin in and causes the brakes to drag more than normal.
It has nothing to do with the pins sliding freely or not. You CAN put too much grease. You should never smell brakes after a brake job unless bedding the pads in per this procedure (or similar)- http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 10-07-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
It has nothing to do with the pins sliding freely or not. You CAN put too much grease. You should never smell brakes after a brake job unless bedding the pads in per this procedure (or similar)- http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
cool thanks I just read all that, I'm going to try it. But then I found a linked part from that site to bleed my breaks. Also is it possible to replace the drum's on the back of my car or is that not possible for an amateur?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need some help on my lower control arm bushings. My tire shop is to the point where they won't align my wheels until I replace the lower control arms on my I30 (96). I tried using the search feature, but it won't work. WHY??? The regulations on this sight seem a little overkill.

I've found a few sites that show replacement bushings without the entire arm. Are there anythings I should watch out for?

It's non-touring btw.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Which Speakers?

ok I'm lookin to buy some front speakers for my 96 max, it has the stock 4 speaker set up - not bose. It has a panasonic cq c1300u deck. I'm not interested in a full set up, so I wont be looking to upgrade with an amp or a sub later on. My question is what would be the best speaker choice for around $100 (just front), although I'll pay more if something is a lot better. I'd like a little more bass, and sq, although I'm not expecting a whole lot.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 AM
VQ35 FTW

Exhaust?

cattman headers and straight pipe back? or cattman headers and greddy sp2?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 PM

I have a 98 gxe with 117k miles and recently there has been a roaring noise coming from the rear of my car when i hit 40 mph. It goes away when i go faster only to come back a lot louder at around 60mph. Please help me figure out what it is.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Maintenance Monster

Rotate your tires front to back - if the noise moves with them, get them inspected or replaced.

Otherwise, it might be a wheel bearing.

Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Peter66
ok I'm lookin to buy some front speakers for my 96 max, it has the stock 4 speaker set up - not bose. It has a panasonic cq c1300u deck. I'm not interested in a full set up, so I wont be looking to upgrade with an amp or a sub later on. My question is what would be the best speaker choice for around $100 (just front), although I'll pay more if something is a lot better. I'd like a little more bass, and sq, although I'm not expecting a whole lot.
Buy whatever fits and is on sale. When you're using a built-in amp and stock wiring, pretty much any decent speaker will be an improvement over stock, and they will all sound about the same. So I don't recommend spending any more than $60/pair since I don't think you gain anything.

Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 10:23 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by Chromadesigner
I need some help on my lower control arm bushings. My tire shop is to the point where they won't align my wheels until I replace the lower control arms on my I30 (96). I tried using the search feature, but it won't work. WHY??? The regulations on this sight seem a little overkill.

I've found a few sites that show replacement bushings without the entire arm. Are there anythings I should watch out for?

It's non-touring btw.
It's much easier to just replace the whole LCA than try and replace the bushings which from what I hear requires burning out the old ones with a torch.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:29 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by Peter66
I've got the same HU! Love that mp3 capability.
I replaced my stock speakers with Pioneer 1780 4-way speakers. Very nice sound.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Maintenance Monster

Yeah I went thru the whole urethane bushing installation. It's a bear to remove the old bushings unless you have a big torch and big tools to wrestle them. Although the suspension is tight again, it pops and creaks since I didn't tap in zerk fittings.

If I had to do it again I would never have screwed with changing those bushings - I would have bought new OEM arms and moved on with life. OEM bushings that aren't worn out work just as well as aftermarket urethane, but with a lot fewer hassles.

Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 03:18 PM

ok I got another question, found some Eclipse SP8964 6.5" 2 way speakers, do these fit a 4th gen front?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Maintenance Monster

Go to crutchfield.com and figure it out.

Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Go to crutchfield.com and figure it out.

Dave
thanks, yeah I already checked and they dont carry it
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Maintenance Monster

Well then eclipse should be able to tell you the mounted depth. Crutchfield should give you an idea how deep a mount it can allow.

Although I put 6.5's in my car and I needed crutchfields adapter plate. You can make one, but theirs was easy to use and sealed up nice and tight. Crutchfield may be overpriced on many things, but buying affordable car audio with the kits is ftw.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mastercater7
cattman headers and straight pipe back? or cattman headers and greddy sp2?
Not sure what you mean by straight pipe back...the straight pipe is only replacing the cat. You still need a y, b, and muffler.....What are you talking about?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM

to make things simple just go cattman and greddy sp2
Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
VQ35 FTW

im saying like a straight pipe from my cat all the way into an outlet. no muffler
Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 PM

No. You need a cat. to pass emissions for one. You wont gain anything from doing a straight pipe. Get the sp2 and a y.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 PM
VQ35 FTW

ok thanks man. and do you know why it wont let me search? and where can i buy seafoam stuff?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM

You cant search because you need to donate $20. You can get seafoam at any auto store. Make sure you check up on seafoam and you need to do an oil change afterward I believe.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
VQ35 FTW

how much does it cost? and you just pour it in your manifold?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone.. I am a new and I have been checking this site out and reading all this great info. I have read all the stickies and honestly, cut down down about 3/4 of my questions that I had before I came here. SO thank you. I will now change my own brakes and also switching to NGK hopefully this weekend. but I do have one question and I have searched for the answers and so far I was not able to find it..I really did look..I was wondering if you can help. My 97 Maxima has this strange knocking sound when the engine is running but as soon as I press on the clutch the noise goes away.Then the noise comes back when I take my foot off the clutch..Anyone please? Thank you
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by 97maxigreen
My 97 Maxima has this strange knocking sound when the engine is running but as soon as I press on the clutch the noise goes away.Then the noise comes back when I take my foot off the clutch..Anyone please? Thank you
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=486088
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by mastercater7
how much does it cost? and you just pour it in your manifold?
Reviews are mixed on Seafoam.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=Seafoam
Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 AM

I have a question about door handles... I have a 95 max and the passenger rear door handle is broken... will the 96-99 door handles fit.. or are they year specific?
thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM

do door handles differ from 95-99?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by mikeh
I have a question about door handles... I have a 95 max and the passenger rear door handle is broken... will the 96-99 door handles fit.. or are they year specific?
thanks
Inside or outside handles?

I think they're all the same except for the SE models having body color exterior handles and GXE/GLE models have chrome.

You should check the 4th Gen forsale section for people parting out their cars. Might find someone with the same color.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 AM

its the outside... its maroon with the chrome handle.... so you think that all 4th gen are the same?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Question

Hi all , sorry If this has been asked, but im very pressed for time (my car is sitting on jackstands) recently i started a clutch job on my 1995 maxima and discovered that the clutch fork has a clip that holds it to the trans
that clip is broken , how important is it? also i have been looking for the fork everywhere here in philly and can't find it anywhere can anyone point me in the right direction for it?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 AM

New Question

I have a 96 GLE auto. When coming out of first gear I feel a heavy jerk going into second gear this only happens when going from first to second.What is it and how to fix it. TIA.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by LILMAN
I have a 96 GLE auto. When coming out of first gear I feel a heavy jerk going into second gear this only happens when going from first to second.What is it and how to fix it. TIA.
This is normal from 1st to 2nd gear. After a while you learn to take your foot off the gas a little at the right time so it slides into 2nd more smoothly.

Has the tranny fluid been flushed and replaced recently? It may help a bit.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey dgeesaman... thank you very much for you help.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JPMax
This is normal from 1st to 2nd gear. After a while you learn to take your foot off the gas a little at the right time so it slides into 2nd more smoothly.

Has the tranny fluid been flushed and replaced recently? It may help a bit.
I doubt it. I got the car from a shady dealership back in April. I've had to replace the whole front end suspension so far, so that should tell you the condition of the car. I'll try the tranny flush from the How to section.Good lookin out.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by phillydj
Hi all , sorry If this has been asked, but im very pressed for time (my car is sitting on jackstands) recently i started a clutch job on my 1995 maxima and discovered that the clutch fork has a clip that holds it to the trans
that clip is broken , how important is it? also i have been looking for the fork everywhere here in philly and can't find it anywhere can anyone point me in the right direction for it?
I'm a little surprised it's broken. Bent, yes, but I haven't seen one break yet.

Anyway, it's Nissan PN 30534-03E00. Order it from your dealer if someone local doesn't have a spare.

Dave
Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info , I actually meant that the clip that holds it down is broken , not the fork. that was cut into by the pressure plate
when i order the fork does it come with the clip?

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...