4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do I have everything for NOS???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001 | 08:55 AM

ok...so I FINALLY got my RPM window switch back in the mail today from MSD. I ordered everything else that I think I need. I ordered:
1 step colder plugs
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Air/Fuel Gauge
dual gauge pod

I already have my NOS kit....is there anything else I will need...or should know b4 I begin installation next week???
Old 06-27-2001 | 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
ok...so I FINALLY got my RPM window switch back in the mail today from MSD. I ordered everything else that I think I need. I ordered:
1 step colder plugs
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Air/Fuel Gauge
dual gauge pod

I already have my NOS kit....is there anything else I will need...or should know b4 I begin installation next week???
That should be all you need to do 60hp or so safely. You may need some misc. pieces parts for the installs. An EGT gauge would have been a better choice than the A/F. If you sprung for an opgraded fuel pump you could do more power. But enjoy the 60hp for a while. Do watch your fuel pressure gauge to be sure the factory fuel pump can hold the higher fuel pressure when the nitrous is activated.

Patience is also most valuable!!!
Old 06-27-2001 | 10:19 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
1 step colder plugs
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Air/Fuel Gauge
dual gauge pod

Some other things you should get is another toggle switch (just for safety), a remote bottle opener so you can open the bottle when you are up front, a bottle heater, and thats about it.
Old 06-27-2001 | 11:01 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

That should be all you need to do 60hp or so safely. You may need some misc. pieces parts for the installs. An EGT gauge would have been a better choice than the A/F. If you sprung for an opgraded fuel pump you could do more power. But enjoy the 60hp for a while. Do watch your fuel pressure gauge to be sure the factory fuel pump can hold the higher fuel pressure when the nitrous is activated.

Patience is also most valuable!!!
I would have gotten the EGT, but I'm worried about doing the probe wrong.....I dunno...I'll just check my spark plugs to make sure I'm running rich and not detonating....Thanks for all the help Matt....I'm really nervous about the install...even thought my friend with a bottle fed stang is helping me out.

cRedrum - I'm going to get a bottle heater and remote bottle opener, but I just need to save the cash
I won't need another toggle switch cuz I'll have the RPM window switch....
Old 06-27-2001 | 11:07 AM
SLOW

how come an EGT guage is a better choice than A/F guage. i know you can tell if you are running rich or lean from the exhaust temp, but wouldnt the A/F guage be more precise? is there another reason why the EGT is more beneficial than the A/F? I've already ordered my JC whitney basic kit, NOS pressure guage, A/F guage. i still need more stuff before i start the install, but i'd like to know why the EGT is better than the A/F guage.

thanks
Old 06-27-2001 | 11:14 AM

Hmm, did you get the "pills" for the window switch? I'm still waiting for my window switch to get back from MSD. How much they charge you? How long it take before you got it back?

You will need some Teflon Paste if your instlaling it and some brass fittings for the FPSS & FP gauge sensor. Some extra wires for the gauges will be needed. A purge kit is optional, its more for "show" but it does have its purpose. It gets any air outta the line and gets the old NOS out so you get a better hit of NOS. A bottle heater is very important. W/o it, the NOS will be inconsistent. THe bottle psi i mean. And the psi will play a roll in how hard the NOS hits.

A remote bottle opener is very optional. This is someting iw ouldnt get unless you are that lazy or have $$ to blow.
Old 06-27-2001 | 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Hmm, did you get the "pills" for the window switch? I'm still waiting for my window switch to get back from MSD. How much they charge you? How long it take before you got it back?
I didn't get the pills yet....my friend has some extra ones...I'll see if I can use them b4 I blow 5 bucks on two packs of pills. It took about 2.5 weeks from when I shipped it until it got back today. The cost was a COD for $45.12 shipped...the modification cost 35 bucks.
Old 06-27-2001 | 05:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187
how come an EGT guage is a better choice than A/F guage. i know you can tell if you are running rich or lean from the exhaust temp, but wouldnt the A/F guage be more precise? is there another reason why the EGT is more beneficial than the A/F? I've already ordered my JC whitney basic kit, NOS pressure guage, A/F guage. i still need more stuff before i start the install, but i'd like to know why the EGT is better than the A/F guage.

thanks

when i was on the dyno, we had the wideband O2 sensor hooked up. when my air fuel ratio was at 14 or 15(lean), the A/F gauge was still showing green leds. where as the EGT would have been showing higher temperatures. so basically the A/F gauge said i was rich when i was actually lean.