4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

b-pipe etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 PM

alrighty guys, So put in my rear valences today, and while my car was jacked up, I took a look and apparently I have a aftermarket Y-pipe, thing is, seems like it was punctured at one time and was filled in and welded, not exactly what u would call a grade A job, and there are some dents on the y as well, now my question is, do u think I should replace it? because it doesn't seem to be leaking anything, or maybe I don't have enough knowledge to know if it IS leaking or not. lt me know what u guys think... thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by ethnic6
alrighty guys, So put in my rear valences today, and while my car was jacked up, I took a look and apparently I have a aftermarket Y-pipe, thing is, seems like it was punctured at one time and was filled in and welded, not exactly what u would call a grade A job, and there are some dents on the y as well, now my question is, do u think I should replace it? because it doesn't seem to be leaking anything, or maybe I don't have enough knowledge to know if it IS leaking or not. lt me know what u guys think... thanks
I always said maximas were offroad vehicles..
Old 10-01-2006, 03:06 PM

lol, ya but I need a real opinion here Apparition, I'm kind of leaning towards replacing it, but if u guys say its alright, then I'm not going to cause then it would be a waste of money for me, and I might as well invest into some suspensions instead. So ya should I replace them?
Old 10-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Ichiban King

lol, ya but I need a real opinion here Apparition, I'm kind of leaning towards replacing it, but if u guys say its alright, then I'm not going to cause then it would be a waste of money for me, and I might as well invest into some suspensions instead. So ya should I replace them?
well use your discretion.. does it look like it's not gonna hold, or is impeding flow enough to affect performance?.. If so, then replace it man.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:19 PM

well then thing is I'm not sure if it does impede the performance because I bought the car as is and the y pipe was there when I bought it, so i can't really say if there is a difference, honestly I felt that my previous max which was a automatic had more of a pull. But I'm just not sure, because that patch up job doesn't really seem very thoroughly done... plus there are dents all along down the pipe until the converter...
Old 10-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

put a teaspoon of ATF in each cylinder via spark plug hole, put car back together, have someone hold a tennis ball at the outlet of the muffler, and where-ever there is a hole or it is leaking, smoke will come out of there....that way you will know if it is leaking or not. plus itll clean out the engine somewhat. black smoke= burning lots of carbon= dirty engine, white/gray = would show a cleaner engine.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:51 PM

well I see smoke come out of my muffler, as white/grey, but I'm talking about whether the leak comes out of the muffler, but whether it comes out of the welded up hole in my y-pipe...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Ichiban King

well I see smoke come out of my muffler, as white/grey, but I'm talking about whether the leak comes out of the muffler, but whether it comes out of the welded up hole in my y-pipe...
thats what he was getting at.. Maybe not directly but holding a tennis ball to the exhaust, while I wouldnt ever do it, would force exhaust out of any opening not sealed properly.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 PM

I thought I might as well replace it, since there are a lot of dents, but I'm just wondering, my ECU keeps going off now a days, I keep diagnosting it, keeps comming out with no problems, and I reset it, and then after a day or two it comes right back on and again, no problems... why the hell is it repeatingly comming on for?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Ichiban King

I thought I might as well replace it, since there are a lot of dents, but I'm just wondering, my ECU keeps going off now a days, I keep diagnosting it, keeps comming out with no problems, and I reset it, and then after a day or two it comes right back on and again, no problems... why the hell is it repeatingly comming on for?
maybe that Y.. iunno
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 AM

I just failed my Inspection, because my OBD didn't read my catalyst, evap, oS, and EGR system... their all not ready, the guy told me it could be because I just reset my ECU, how long does it usually take for the ECU to kick in the OBD so that it will check everything... oh, and I also failed it because my Ypipe is leaking exhaust, just ordered the Budget special right now, and also because I have aftermarket headlight bulbs (which I find completely gay) so ya, now I"m driving around without a inspection sticker... *sigh*
Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Maxima Owner

not to invade...but i always forget what year 5th gen has the cool oval tip and not the duals.....take is back in like 2 weeks or about 500 miles of driving.....was ur inspection overdue
Old 10-03-2006, 09:48 AM

ya it was, now I don't have a sticker on my car... last time I got it checked, it said the kS was the reason, now its because I have an exhaust leak on my Ypipe

I'm also wondering why My engine light keeps comming on, but when I check it, it says no problem. and I have to keep resetting it. So the mechanic said that thats probably why I failed my OBD, because I just reset my ECU and it hasn't checked off...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
You should try a 5th gen muffler. I think they give off a good sound, from what im told at least. So with the cattman and the stock 5th gen it should sound good and not too loud.
i read in a post that the flap inside the 5th gen muffler can get stuck. If you want stock quiet levels stick with a stock muffler. I tried a straight through with the Budget Y and B with Magnaflow res and its annoyingly drony.
I'm thinking of going Dynomax turbo muffler to get a little more noise.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Oh ok. I've never heard of that problem with the 5th gen. I'm doing a greddy muffler anyways. Getting it for $20 from krismax. With the cattman b and budget y it should sound good (I hope!).