4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remote starters

Anyone have a remote starter on a 5-spd?
Winters get a little cold around here....
Old 09-25-2001, 08:42 AM

I believe that remote starters only work on automatic trans. I hope I am wrong though as I would love to have one for my car.

Alec
Old 09-25-2001, 08:49 AM

You can get one installed on a manaul but you need some sort of clutch bypass device to do it properly. I have seen it done and I believe you have to always be sure the car is in N when parked otherwise the car might jerk. A lot of shops/installers are wary about doing them on manual transmissions due to risk of liability.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:09 AM

Inhibitor relay bypass instructions

Originally posted by Ravq
You can get one installed on a manaul but you need some sort of clutch bypass device to do it properly. ...
This is the way to circumvent the no-crank safety circuit. Use this information at your own risk!

1) Raise the hood.

2) Just in front of the battery you should see a black plastic relay box. This is relay box #2. There is a good photo of it in the Haynes manual on page 12-4.

3) Snap off the relay box cover.

4) There are two rows of relay sockets, four in each row. Your relay box may have some blank sockets, depending on which options are installed. Look at the row of relays closest to the battery. The second from left socket should have a blue relay installed, and that is the Inhibitor Relay.

5) Remove the Inhibitor Relay and save it for a rainy day. Fashion a short jumper and insert it in socket positions 3 and 5. The positions are numbered on the base of the relay, but they are hard to read. Terminals 3 and 5 are the pair which are most distant from each other.

6) WARNING! With this jumper installed the no-crank safety interlock is disabled. Your 5-speed Maxima will crank and start without stepping on the clutch.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:54 AM

Re: Inhibitor relay bypass instructions

Hummm....thanks, seems real easy.

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
This is the way to circumvent the no-crank safety circuit. Use this information at your own risk!

Old 09-25-2001, 10:04 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Re: Re: Inhibitor relay bypass instructions

You can do a remote start but youll probably have to do it your self most shops wont touch that I worked at 3 shops as an installer and none of them would do it but its not impossible its the same as an automatic wiring harness the only thing on a max to bypass is the ones with the square keys because the key must be within a certain distance of the ignition or the car wont start but Ive bypassed that on mine so I could use a remote start.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Inhibitor relay bypass instructions

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
You can do a remote start but youll probably have to do it your self most shops wont touch that I worked at 3 shops as an installer and none of them would do it but its not impossible its the same as an automatic wiring harness the only thing on a max to bypass is the ones with the square keys because the key must be within a certain distance of the ignition or the car wont start but Ive bypassed that on mine so I could use a remote start.
The Inhibitor Relay bypass deals with the clutch pedal safety interlock. That is a separate topic from the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System which uses a "chipped" ignition key. NVIS was standard equipment on the '99 Maxima. If you know how to bypass the NVIS please post instructions here. Some Maxima owners -- me included -- live in places where car theft is not a problem, and the NVIS is a nuisance.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:41 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Re: Re: Re: Re: Inhibitor relay bypass instructions

Ill have to look and see I cant remember exactly where I put the little module that is in the key it has to be at the perfect spot or it wont work it took a while to work that part out but if you take the key theres a little piece of plastic that would face the ignition you can use a needle and pry the plastic out and you have a chip that comes out with it you must fasten tat to the ignition if its at the wrong place on the ignition it wont work it took me a couple tries till it worked. Is tat true that 99 were the only years that have that.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Most newer remote start systems will work on manual transmission vehicles. The install will cost extra as they have to install the clutch bypass and they also put in a circuit to verify the tranny is in neutral *and* the e-brake is activated before the system will start the car. I have seen one of these installed on a 5-speed Maxima and they work fine. You do have to activate the system each time you get out of the vehicle if you want to remote start it the next time, but I'm sure it becomes a habit once you're used to it.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:55 AM

"Chipped" keys

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
... Is tat true that 99 were the only years that have that.
TTBOMK all '99-up Maximas have the NVIS as standard equipment. That means a spare key must be obtained from a Nissan dealer for $70. A $2 hardware store key can be used to open the trunk but not drive the car.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:01 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Re: "Chipped" keys

if you take the chip out of the key and fasten it to the ignition you wont need that $70 key for the ignition.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:31 PM

Five Speed Car Starter

Hmmm. Maybe I will look into this. I have a brand new Car starter that works for about 400 feet still in the package. It comes with a video and stuff so maybe I will. I thought since I had the 5 speed I would just sell it. Might still but gives me options.

SuDZ
Old 09-25-2001, 12:48 PM

As an additional safety step, I would do this if you disable the clutch start inhibitor. I found out that the 5 speed in a Maxima will emit a 5 volt signal when the thing is in gear and send a ground signal when it is in neutral (or it might have been the other way around, I'll have to test). Anyway, wire up a 5 volt relay from Radioshack so that if the car is in gear, it will "open" the clutch inhibitor circuit, thus not allowing the car to crank when it is in gear. As an additional safety step, I would also wire up another relay off of that to the "remote start disable" input of the remote starter that is usually used when the hood is raised. I might put one of Autoloc's units on. I might even put a remote start on my motorcycle :-)
Old 09-25-2001, 01:23 PM
Kevlo for President

i think I30Cerfio has a remote starter on his 5-speed
Old 09-25-2001, 02:58 PM
mb1

http://www.crimestopper.com/vectorsystems.html

This alarm was designed to work with both an automatic and a manual transmition car.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:00 AM

Hello all,

I know this is an old thread but I have a 5sp with no clutch started disable relay. (ie I can start the car without depressing the clutch) So I looked under the hood for the Starter Inhibitor Relay in the relay box #2. There is no relay and no connector in the bottom of the box where the relay should be. How can this be? Could the previous owner have change from auto to 5sp transmission? What am I missing. I would like to install the relay before me (or my wife ) start the car without depressing the clutch and I have to fix the bumper again!

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Stephane
Old 05-20-2003, 06:31 AM

Hey there!

I am looking to get some exact details for self installing a Matrix RS3. I have to use this alarm since I work at Best Buy and get a good deal on one.

I want to SAFELY install remote start for my 5speed. Did anyone get exact details for this yet? EricDWong? :>

Any help on making sure I can still use my Trunk release and Window roll down feature would be awesome.

Any other tips or recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Prodeje79
I want to SAFELY install remote start for my 5speed.
I didn't know there was a safe way to do that?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by vabeachmax

I didn't know there was a safe way to do that?
Did you read the whole thread?

Pianoman said "Most newer remote start systems will work on manual transmission vehicles. The install will cost extra as they have to install the clutch bypass and they also put in a circuit to verify the tranny is in neutral *and* the e-brake is activated before the system will start the car. I have seen one of these installed on a 5-speed Maxima and they work fine. You do have to activate the system each time you get out of the vehicle if you want to remote start it the next time, but I'm sure it becomes a habit once you're used to it.
"

Check out EricDWong's post as well....

Also, i know for a fact the Compustar has a safe feature as well. I was going to get this alarm but I do not get a best buy discount on it...

It can be done, I just want exact details so I can do it.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:33 AM

I just kinda skimmed through it, I guess I missed that. I never heard of it being 100% safe so thats why I asked. No harm, no foul. Good luck with this project.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:11 PM

it can be done... trust me
Old 06-22-2003, 04:14 PM

to end this debate of hearsay and thoughts, I have the avital 6500, i installed it on my 1st car a diesel jetta 5 spd, then installed it on my accord 5spd. Here is the scenario, any remote starter should work on a auto/5spd. regardless. the only thing a remote starter does is get in between the key and the starter and 'simulates the key being there and starts the car. in a 5 spd, the remote starter wires directly to the starter, so the alarm directly powers up the ignition of the vehicle, and the alarm itself powers the starter. it bypasses all of those pesky safety features. i now have an auto max, with the alarm installed. no problems. in both of the previous 5 spd cars, once the alarm was installed, i never had to depress the clutch again... remote starting or not....as the system now ran through the key to the alarm to the starter by passing the above said systems. any questions just ask.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:31 AM

I still would like more exact details on how to wire the neutral sensing saftey option.

Also, how do I keep my factory roll down the front windows, exactly?

thanks