4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Max hesitate to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by lbrowne
I go out this morning and the car had been sitting for I guess 8 hours untouched in the cold. It was about -5 Celsius overnight I would think. It even snowed a bit.

Got in, turned the key, fired up instantly.

No stumble, no funny idle, no rpm racing, just a clean fast start.

I think I got it!
So which of the Crank Position Sensors did you replace ? (I think there are two of them in our car, right?)
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM

I actually replaced 2 sensors I shouldn't have, the CPS(REF) and the Camshaft Position Sensor. I did have a code for the CPS(REF) that was triggered from irregular start I guess.

Anyways, it was the CPS(POS) that did not thjrow any sort of code at all, that was completely shot. The harness read all appropriate voltages so it came down to the sensor itself. I removed it, cleaned, and the car got far worse. Even affecting driveability.

Put in a new CPS(POS) and it appears to be fixed. The car is now sitting in 27 degrees farenheit for you Amercian folks, and won't be started till I go home. So about 10-12 hours. I'm confident she'll start again without issue.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM

I actually replaced 2 sensors I shouldn't have, the CPS(REF) and the Camshaft Position Sensor. I did have a code for the CPS(REF) that was triggered from irregular start I guess.

Anyways, it was the CPS(POS) that did not thjrow any sort of code at all, that was completely shot. The harness read all appropriate voltages so it came down to the sensor itself. I removed it, cleaned, and the car got far worse. Even affecting driveability.

Put in a new CPS(POS) and it appears to be fixed. The car is now sitting in 27 degrees farenheit for you Amercian folks, and won't be started till I go home. So about 10-12 hours. I'm confident she'll start again without issue.
thanks for the temperature conversion where are you?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:39 PM

check if ur belts is snapped if its not ur alternator
Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by blongthao
check if ur belts is snapped if its not ur alternator
WHAT???????

i think your in the wrong thread but in the right state GO PACKERS!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by smai555
thanks for the temperature conversion where are you?

Alberta, Canada

So yesterday I was late leaving work. The car was there for about 16 hours outside in the cold, and uit was COLD yesterday.

Fired right up without any issue whatsoever!!!

Case closed!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM

Alberta, Canada

So yesterday I was late leaving work. The car was there for about 16 hours outside in the cold, and uit was COLD yesterday.

Fired right up without any issue whatsoever!!!

Case closed!
congratulations =)

i've had no problems for 2 weeks now
Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
wxm

Glad we all got the problem resolved.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by wxm
So which of the Crank Position Sensors did you replace ? (I think there are two of them in our car, right?)
i thought there was a front and back cps's? which did u replace if so?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ls1forlife
i thought there was a front and back cps's? which did u replace if so?

there is only one CPS = camshaft position sensor. CPS senses piston no position.

There are 2 CKPS = Crankshaft position Sensor, Rear and front. THe front senses engine speed. The rear senses TDC piston 1.

Its a good idea to replace all, if u ask me.

Last edited by cashoit; 02-04-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
there is only one CPS = camshaft position sensor. CPS senses piston no position.

There are 2 CKPS = Crankshaft position Sensor, Rear and front. THe front senses engine speed. The rear senses TDC piston 1.

Its a good idea to replace all, if u ask me.
i agree, but i just want to know one sensor fixed his starting issue. i have the same issue. i know there is one at the bell housing, but where is the other (front)?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM

i agree, but i just want to know one sensor fixed his starting issue. i have the same issue. i know there is one at the bell housing, but where is the other (front)?

Both CKPS are under the engine. One is by the trannmission housing. THe second is by the passenger front tire pointed up at the crankshaft pulley. U really cant miss it. Here is the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Or do a SEARCH. PPl have posted pictures of its location.

Have u tried replacin the CKPS REF. Usually its that sensor that is screwy. Make sure to check the integrity of each senor wiring harness too.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Both CKPS are under the engine. One is by the trannmission housing. THe second is by the passenger front tire pointed up at the crankshaft pulley. U really cant miss it. Here is the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

Or do a SEARCH. PPl have posted pictures of its location.

Have u tried replacin the CKPS REF. Usually its that sensor that is screwy. Make sure to check the integrity of each senor wiring harness too.
thank you, i know where the both are now. but i wanted to know which one he replaced the ref or pos? i still dont even understand why they have issues in the cold?

Last edited by ls1forlife; 02-04-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:26 AM
wxm

thank you, i know where the both are now. but i wanted to know which one he replaced the ref or pos? i still dont even understand why they have issues in the cold?
If you are referring lbrowne, IIRC, it was the POS in his case. I would not just throwing money on them yet. There could be so many parts potentially affecting the starting. The good thing is that both sensors (ref or pos) are easy to check. Post 70 of this thread has the instruction on checking the pos, and ref is even easier (disconnect the harness, and take off the sensor, the resistance between the two terminals should be around 470-570 ohm).

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by wxm
If you are referring lbrowne, IIRC, it was the POS in his case. I would not just throwing money on them yet. There could be so many parts potentially affecting the starting. The good thing is that both sensors (ref or pos) are easy to check. Post 70 of this thread has the instruction on checking the pos, and ref is even easier (disconnect the harness, and take off the sensor, the resistance between the two terminals should be around 470-570 ohm).

Good luck.
thank you so much! i saw the screw driver test so i will read how to do it, and hopefully test it(just dont know how ill check the voltage, if its connected???? do you strip the wire or something?).
im going to try a few cheap things first.
1. clean IACV and TB
2. run a ground or 2.
3. then i will start spending money. maybe a CTS(although my dash reads normal operating temps), and then the CPS if they need be.

I thought i read that ibrowne's sensors checked out ok? but after a replacement it fixed its problem?

Last edited by ls1forlife; 02-05-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 AM
wxm

thank you so much! i saw the screw driver test so i will read how to do it, and hopefully test it(just dont know how ill check the voltage, if its connected???? do you strip the wire or something?).
im going to try a few cheap things first.
1. clean IACV and TB
2. run a ground or 2.
3. then i will start spending money. maybe a CTS(although my dash reads normal operating temps), and then the CPS if they need be.

I thought i read that ibrowne's sensors checked out ok? but after a replacement it fixed its problem?
I think he tried a lot things from FPR to CKPS(REF). But it was the POS fixed the problem. (You were right, in his case the POS tested out OK).

In my case, the FPR was the culprit.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 AM

well good news. last night before the 14 inches of snow, I:
cleaned the TB & and IACV very well with tb cleaner.
replaced the air filter, pcv valve.
cleaned all grounds and added a new one to the trans.

spent about 20$ for everything including TB cleaner. tested the car after, started perfectly for consecutive starts. after it sat for you about 10 hours in below freezing weather and about a foot of snow on top, it started perfectly.

i believe i am fixed! thanks a lot everyone!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have the same problem right now my mechanic is telling me its the starter.he said it will cost 400 for the part and labor .Do you guys think he's trying to rip me off?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by HvyFoOTeR3
i have the same problem right now my mechanic is telling me its the starter.he said it will cost 400 for the part and labor .Do you guys think he's trying to rip me off?
yes. look starters up online. they r about 100. it takes 15 min to put it in. ask him what his shop rate is???

take your car to AZ, they will test the starter for free, to make sure it is at fault