4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Water leak into back seat foot area- many examples!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:04 PM
3.5 Swapped!

Water leak into back seat foot area- many examples!

Hi everyone,

A little while ago while redoing some stuff for my stereo I noticed a large amount of water in the area behind the passenger seat on the floor. This is what tipped me off:

Then this...

And finally, this is what drained out of the carpet over night:

I know what you're thinking: your sunroof drains are clogged! Except I don't have a sunroof in my car!

I knew that my door rubber on the PS front door had some rips in it, so I picked up some good ones at the junkyard and installed them.

Old:

The new one for the body side has a little crease in it, but I don't think it's anything to worry about:

And yet, after all that, I just found the same area soaking wet again. I'm completely stumped as to what's happening here, and how water is getting into that area. I should mention that I park my car in my driveway, which is uphill, so if water gets in the front of the car, it could make its way to the rear without issue. With that said, I saw no indication that anything in front of that area was wet.

In the thread title I mentioned "many examples". Well, I did some digging and it seems like this has happened before. There just never seems to be any resolution posted! Here's what I found:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ked-water.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...e-problem.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ger-floor.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...or-soaked.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...leak-help.html

I guess if it comes down to it I'll remove all of the interior A/B/C pillar covers, hop in the car, and have someone spray it with a hose in hopes of finding the leak that way, but if I can get any other ideas, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:47 PM

Not sure if it can happen on the 4th gen, but I know that some cars get water leaking in when the transparent plastic sheets are ripped or missing from within the door panels.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:55 PM
3.5 Swapped!

Originally Posted by Zerodrag View Post
Not sure if it can happen on the 4th gen, but I know that some cars get water leaking in when the transparent plastic sheets are ripped or missing from within the door panels.
Good thinking. I'm pretty sure I don't have any in my front doors, but I'm not sure about the rears. I'll check on that.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM

No sunroof and car is parked nose up. Check cowl drain hoses. Could be water is collecting in cowl area high enough to enter HVAC inlet. Is water on both sides of the rear or just one?

Clean the cowl of any leaves. Flush off with hose to make sure drain lines are clear.

Also just to eliminate car position park car downhill.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 PM

Do you have a sunroof? I've had the problem when one of the rear sunroof drain hoses became clogged. I've found the sunroof drain system will work with one of the four hoses clogged. When two or more lines are clogged, water will start to enter the passenger compartment. I use my air compressor with an air hose wand (the one with the rubber tip) from Harbor Freight to blow out the vents from the top. Once in a while, I will find a corroded Y pipe that connects the antenna drain to the roof drain.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-03-2019, 03:30 AM
3.5 Swapped!

Originally Posted by allmazda View Post
No sunroof and car is parked nose up. Check cowl drain hoses. Could be water is collecting in cowl area high enough to enter HVAC inlet. Is water on both sides of the rear or just one?

Clean the cowl of any leaves. Flush off with hose to make sure drain lines are clear.

Also just to eliminate car position park car downhill.
Hmm, another good idea! So far I've just found water on the passenger side in the rear. I'm wondering if the seal around the rear window could be a culprit....

Originally Posted by CS_AR View Post
Do you have a sunroof? I've had the problem when one of the rear sunroof drain hoses became clogged. I've found the sunroof drain system will work with one of the four hoses clogged. When two or more lines are clogged, water will start to enter the passenger compartment. I use my air compressor with an air hose wand (the one with the rubber tip) from Harbor Freight to blow out the vents from the top. Once in a while, I will find a corroded Y pipe that connects the antenna drain to the roof drain.
Nope, no sunroof. That's why this is so surprising!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:17 PM
3.5 Swapped!

So after fighting with my wiper arms for like two hours, I was finally able to remove them. I got the cowl off, and really don't see much in the way of debris down there. Are there just little invisible drains on either side of the cowl? I'm thinking of pouring something like a cup of water down each side and watch how much drains onto the floor. There's decent access on the driver side, but none on the passenger side due to it being covered with metal. Does anyone know anything about diagnosing cowl leaks?

I also found this thread in the 5th gen forum:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ger-floor.html

I'll look at those two holes tomorrow....
Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider View Post
Hmm, another good idea! So far I've just found water on the passenger side in the rear. I'm wondering if the seal around the rear window could be a culprit....

Nope, no sunroof. That's why this is so surprising!

One of the reasons, I said to park the car facing downhill is to eliminate water travel under the carpet and pooling in the rear. I do not think the door seal would leak enough not to leave traces of water on the door panel such as the grab handle. However, take someone for a ride in right rear seat on interstate. Have them listen for wind noise.

When rain is expected or is raining take some very clean and expensive paper towels. Line under the passenger front foot area - under the glove box area - from the ECU to the all the way right. Single sheet - tape if needed and overlap ends by an inch or so. If you have water in the rear and paper towels look and feel dry then water is not coming from the front.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Take out the screws behind the wheels under the doors and pull back on the panels and see what kind of surprises you have inside.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM
3.5 Swapped!

Originally Posted by wachman View Post
Take out the screws behind the wheels under the doors and pull back on the panels and see what kind of surprises you have inside.
Do you mean the plastic wheel well covers for the front wheels? Because I try to clean mine out once a year! I had them open to measure the water from the cowl dripping down, and there was very little debris in there.