4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 08:33 AM

Tweaks

Ok, on my 95 Maxima SE, fully loaded, stock except for Michelin Pilot Zero tires.

I'm wondering if there are any smalls tweaks I can do to get better acceleration out of my car. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: Tweaks

Originally posted by pm0riarty
Ok, on my 95 Maxima SE, fully loaded, stock except for Michelin Pilot Zero tires.

I'm wondering if there are any smalls tweaks I can do to get better acceleration out of my car. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.
You mean like mods? Like air filters things like that? If so there are cone filters,hybrids,CAI. Those will give you anywhere from 3-12 HP which will help you out.

SuDZ
Old 03-27-2002, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Tweaks

Originally posted by SuDZ

You mean like mods? Like air filters things like that? If so there are cone filters,hybrids,CAI. Those will give you anywhere from 3-12 HP which will help you out.

SuDZ
No....I have almost 100k miles on the car, and I'm wondering more if there is stuff I should clean out to make it run smoother and faster. I have noticed that starting it when cold, it makes a loud buzzing noise. I think there is something that needs to be cleaned, because I don't think it's getting the power that it should. I.E., I'm losing to cars that I should be beating, with even a stock maxima.

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tweaks

No....I have almost 100k miles on the car, and I'm wondering more if there is stuff I should clean out to make it run smoother and faster. I have noticed that starting it when cold, it makes a loud buzzing noise. I think there is something that needs to be cleaned, because I don't think it's getting the power that it should. I.E., I'm losing to cars that I should be beating, with even a stock maxima.

Thanks again.
What kind of tunups if any have you given your car? Fuel filter, Spark Plugs, clean the throttle body, oil filter/change, pcv valve, throttle cable check? Any of this lately? What grade gas are you using?

SuDZ
Old 03-27-2002, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tweaks

Originally posted by SuDZ

What kind of tunups if any have you given your car? Fuel filter, Spark Plugs, clean the throttle body, oil filter/change, pcv valve, throttle cable check? Any of this lately? What grade gas are you using?

SuDZ
I just bought the car about a month ago. The guy said it was tuned up at 70k miles, and he had platinum spark plugs put in. Is it due for a tuneup again? I have no clue what exactly he had done. I started using regular gas, but I moved up to premium now, for the last few fill ups.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tweaks

I have noticed that starting it when cold, it makes a loud buzzing noise
Are you talking about cold weather or cold engine? Also, how long is this sound?

I am wondering if it's the starter motor sound you're talking about. It happens in cold weather, after you release the key, the starter motor whines for another 1/2 second. If yes, www.motorvate.ca has a good write-up on fixing it.

That should not affect your power though, just your engine starting ability (or lack of when it finally quits on you).

As for the tune-up at 70k, do you have any service records to show what was done? A tune-up means a lot of different things to a lot of different people
Old 03-27-2002, 09:54 AM

Great link, that sounds exactly like the problem.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:45 AM

try throttle body cleaning

Many people don't include a throttle body cleaning as part of a tune up. With as many miles as you have, the time checking and cleaning the throttle body would be time well spent. I bought my Max used and have come to believe you can't take a previous owner at their word. Do a search for "throttle body cleaning" and you will find many discussions and instructions.