5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another impotenza thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:35 PM

Another impotenza thread...

Okay, so it's not news, but let me vent a moment.

It snowed heavily in Calgary today. Temperature was right around 0 degrees celsius. The roads were very slick.

I got stuck on 2 hills. The car just slowly lost it's momentum until I was hovering around going nowhere. The embarrassing part was lots of other cars were just cruising past me (a Grand-am, a Colt, a few minivans and a few SUVs). There was some old plymouth minivan that got stuck behind me so I had some company at least.

I can't wait for the impotenzas to wear out so I can buy Michelin Pilots.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:44 PM

Re: Another impotenza thread...

Originally posted by BlackAE

amen.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Re: Re: Another impotenza thread...

Originally posted by Newman

amen.
put some nissan engineer in that situation so he can see how bad these tires are and have a "recall". somebody should write consumer reports.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:36 PM

I'm in calgary also, the roads were slick, yes they were.

BUT I have Michelin Pilot Alpines on the car so it wasn't bad at all

You should look into getting winter tires, you will notice an immediate differance. I had the potenza's slip and slide on me too many times that i got fed up and got some winters. Suppose to snow all week too, according to the hearld
Old 03-03-2003, 06:50 AM

It snowed heavily in Calgary today. Temperature was right around 0 degrees celsius. The roads were very slick.

I got stuck on 2 hills. The car just slowly lost it's momentum until I was hovering around going nowhere. The embarrassing part was lots of other cars were just cruising past me (a Grand-am, a Colt, a few minivans and a few SUVs). There was some old plymouth minivan that got stuck behind me so I had some company at least.

Sounds like you should replace them now. $1000 in tires is nothing compared to an accident!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 AM

Sorry Pal...

Not flame you, but......

I cannot BELIEVE you live in the Great White North, and are trying to drive on the Blow-Tenzas in winter time???!

Are you nuts??

I live in Atlanta, and they SUCK just in the rain alone!!!

Suck it up -- buy some snow tires and an extra set of rims.
You're bordering on dangerous in the snow.

Good luck - seriously!

g.r.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:04 AM
jjs

Re: Sorry Pal...

Originally posted by ghostrider17
Not flame you, but......

I cannot BELIEVE you live in the Great White North, and are trying to drive on the Blow-Tenzas in winter time???!

Are you nuts??

I live in Atlanta, and they SUCK just in the rain alone!!!

Suck it up -- buy some snow tires and an extra set of rims.
You're bordering on dangerous in the snow.

Good luck - seriously!

g.r.
I HAVE to agree!!! I was in the process of reading the thread when I guess shock set in so I couldn't come up with this kind of response myself in time to post it!!

Given the combo of those death donuts and winter (harsh or mild) I would seriously comtemplate walking!!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Sorry Pal...

You know, I have blowtenzas too, and they may have absolutely no grip off the line and in heavy cornering, but this weekend in snow and slush I: held high speeds with no problem, made a quick stop on a country road going steeply down hill from 45 to avoid a deer, and took a corner at 40 to see if they would give up there grip. Once they have a grip on the road it is hard to break it. However, establishing that grip can be a challenge. And no the ABS did not come on during my quick stop.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:43 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Sorry Pal...

Originally posted by number2jcb
You know, I have blowtenzas too, and they may have absolutely no grip off the line and in heavy cornering, but this weekend in snow and slush I: held high speeds with no problem, made a quick stop on a country road going steeply down hill from 45 to avoid a deer, and took a corner at 40 to see if they would give up there grip. Once they have a grip on the road it is hard to break it. However, establishing that grip can be a challenge. And no the ABS did not come on during my quick stop.
While you may have no issue with them and may actually have accomplished what you say with them...the OVERWHELMING majority of us hate those damn things and will NEVER comment postively about them.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry Pal...

Originally posted by jjs

While you may have no issue with them and may actually have accomplished what you say with them...the OVERWHELMING majority of us hate those damn things and will NEVER comment postively about them.

I don't miss them at all!!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Blu
the tits

Why wait
Old 03-03-2003, 08:28 AM

You should be on winter tires in the first place!

Saying that the RE-92s are completely useless is not true. In dry they were not too bad, and I could drive them as hard as my Mich's.

In the wet they were dangerous, even new.

In the snow they should be considered leathal weapons. Being the procrastinator I usually get caught by the first snow fall. When that happened I parked it.

When I see an SE with 17's in the winter I do everything to get away from them.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:50 AM

For the most part, the tires have been functional in the winter here. In colder temperatures the snow has not been a problem for me at all. Yesterdays combination of heavy snow and temperatures just slightly above the freezing point exposed the weakness/hazard of these tires. Considering that a day like that occurs only 2 or 3 times per winter I still don't feel justified in buying new tires yet. Having said that, they'll probably get me into an accident in the near future and I'll wish I'd listened to you guys.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:11 AM
rcy

Just curious...does your Max have traction control?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:44 AM
jjs

For the most part, the tires have been functional in the winter here. In colder temperatures the snow has not been a problem for me at all. Yesterdays combination of heavy snow and temperatures just slightly above the freezing point exposed the weakness/hazard of these tires. Considering that a day like that occurs only 2 or 3 times per winter I still don't feel justified in buying new tires yet. Having said that, they'll probably get me into an accident in the near future and I'll wish I'd listened to you guys.
Don't take just our word for it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hpas.jsp

Perhaps the reason some people don't think they are bad in snow 'cuz they are used to the poor wet riding.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:19 AM

Re: Re: Another impotenza thread...

Originally posted by rcy

Just curious...does your Max have traction control?
Yes, but it was useless in the conditions I mentioned. TCS gives your tires a chance to get a grip again, but that just wasn't happening at all.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Another impotenza thread...

You may want to consider taking TCS off at times like that, because since it limits u're tires so they dun spin and lose traction, it can at times hold u back, doing more harm then good.

Yes, but it was useless in the conditions I mentioned. TCS gives your tires a chance to get a grip again, but that just wasn't happening at all.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another impotenza thread...

Yeah, after the burning smell assailed my nostrils I tried turning it off but to no avail. Any idea why I would get a burning smell? I don't think it was burnt rubber since there was not much friction going on.

Originally posted by 2K255HP
You may want to consider taking TCS off at times like that, because since it limits u're tires so they dun spin and lose traction, it can at times hold u back, doing more harm then good.