5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stolen Headlights....AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:03 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

just get some 2k or AE headlights and throw HID into them...

this problem is not going away..

I want a 2k2 and this issue of theft scares the hell out of me and a few of my friends who want to get the car as well..
I'd probably take out my HIDs the 1st day I have the car. Screw it. Not worth the bs.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
just get some 2k or AE headlights and throw HID into them...

this problem is not going away..

I want a 2k2 and this issue of theft scares the hell out of me and a few of my friends who want to get the car as well..
I'd probably take out my HIDs the 1st day I have the car. Screw it. Not worth the bs.
Since the only suggestion that would work for me is the 2k1 AE headlights ... does anyone have pictures????? >> of a 2002 white maxima with the 2k1 AE headlights on them....ive seen it on the 2k1 but i want to see them with the 2k2 grilll and fron bumper....thank you
Old 05-07-2003, 09:18 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by 2k2whitemaxi

Since the only suggestion that would work for me is the 2k1 AE headlights ... does anyone have pictures????? >> of a 2002 white maxima with the 2k1 AE headlights on them....ive seen it on the 2k1 but i want to see them with the 2k2 grilll and fron bumper....thank you
if you give me a couple of days, I can get a ton for you, since at least 25% of all 2k2-2k3s I see on the roads in NYC have different headlights.. this does not mean the others have not had them stolen, it just means they replaced them, possibly for 2nd, 3rd and 4th times

but i have seen it and it does not look bad at all.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by 2k2whitemaxi
OK NOW CLICK ON MY HOMEPAGE AND GO TO PAGE 2 TO SEE THE PICS OF THIS HORRIBLE ACT AND WHY THE ANTI-THEFT KIT THAT SOME OF U GUYS ARE SUGGESTING DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

THANX

LET ME KNOW WAT U THINK
Whoa!!!.... I feel you man....I had mine ripped out too, although these #$#ks were "kind" enough not to cause 'too' much body damage...I really sucks...BIG TIME...For now I look two, three, four and maybe six or seven times where ever I park the my max....At home, I lock it up....

If I get hit again, so long max...hellloooo G35....then again, a civic wouldn't be that bad...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

OMG!!!

Bro...do the 2K-2K1 headlamp swap. As sweet as those 2K2-2K3 headlamps are...I'd not want to go for a 5th time.

Or dump it for the G35C.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:51 PM

man... i feel for you... i live in a bad area too for stolen cars, but haven't been hit... my city was the top of the list for stolen cars last year... i just hope the theives down here don't know about this.. i am crossing my fingers... if this ever happen to me, i would probably dump it ASAP..sorry to say... i haven't yet to see a 2k2 or 2k3 to have been hit yet...

and for the theft kit and alarm fix.... it won't work... the lights can be poped out in a matter of seconds... the theft kit just makes the thief apply more pressure and damage your fender and hood more... and the alarm just goes off,,,(Who CARES?)... when i hear an alarm in the neighborhood or in a parking lot, i dont care... most of the time its a false alarm anywayz... \

plus...all a thief gots to do is pop the hood and cut the battery cables to turn the alarm off or cut the wires to the alarm siren to stop it.. of if you got the siren without wires, just take a hammer to it... and bye bye siren...

and before anyone mentions... i know a thing or two about car thieves..because I use to hang out with people who use to do things of that nature... but not anymore.....

if a thief wants your car or something on it or in it... and really wants it... they'll find a way to get it...

i basically dont' let it get the best of me, keep your fingers crossed and hopefully you won't be a Statistic....
Old 05-08-2003, 05:47 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

if you give me a couple of days, I can get a ton for you, since at least 25% of all 2k2-2k3s I see on the roads in NYC have different headlights.. this does not mean the others have not had them stolen, it just means they replaced them, possibly for 2nd, 3rd and 4th times

but i have seen it and it does not look bad at all.
really? what part of NYC is this??? I've only scene one 02-03 in my time with 00 lights and this was in flushing....the others around my way in queens all have HIDs.....

the theft has calmed in Bayside...(cross fingers)

Old 05-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey... ok... let's all just take IceY2K1's advice and make it as EASY as possible... let's just all leave our doors unlocked and put a placard sign that says "come on in, guys!" on the hood... no, better yet... leave all of the windows rolled down and sunroofs open (just in case they THINK the doors are locked)... no wait, let's leave the hood and trunk popped up as well... oh, even better... let's leave the KEYS in the IGNITION (because Lord knows that if they want to steal the car, they MIGHT have to damage the steering column... let's make sure we take off all of our wheel lock lugs... wouldn't want them to exert too much energy in trying to bypass those deterrents...

No, wait... let's just make sure we don't leave anything they want... we can have steel rims with wheel covers... and OEM radios... and candles instead of HIDs... that will fix 'em.

Jeez... get a grip... these guys that damage the h*ll out of cars... they do that out of desperation... well, screw them... I'm not about to leave my car 'accessible' to them... I will offer up as many deterrents as possible (including an airbag lock that you can buy)...

Do what you want, but don't put down the deterrents that are offered... they are out there to weed out those who don't want to exert energy in theft...

=R
Old 05-08-2003, 07:04 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE
I will offer up as many deterrents as possible (including an airbag lock that you can buy)...

=R
dude...airbag theft was so early 1990's...

Old 05-09-2003, 03:35 AM

How about Bolting the Headlight to the frame of the body so that the lights will not move. It will be useless if the thieve gets the lights because by the time he tries ripping it out, the lights will be damaged.

Just an idea.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, newbie here. Thinking of getting a 2k2 but worried about all the HID thefts. A couple of questions... Do the theives key on the taillights of the 2k2 and 2k3 to tell them which to hit, and would putting 2k1 tails on help? Also, how much do 2k1 setups cost? Easy to switch them yourself? Thanks, I tried the search but didn't find what I wanted.

http://www.GottaMethod.com - Tips, Tricks, and How-To Guides
Old 05-09-2003, 08:17 AM

Uh, well, I would guess that they key in on the HIDs in the front!

-R
Old 05-09-2003, 01:03 PM

Hey... ok... let's all just take IceY2K1's advice and make it as EASY as possible... let's just all leave our doors unlocked and put a placard sign that says "come on in, guys!" on the hood... no, better yet... leave all of the windows rolled down and sunroofs open (just in case they THINK the doors are locked)... no wait, let's leave the hood and trunk popped up as well... oh, even better... let's leave the KEYS in the IGNITION (because Lord knows that if they want to steal the car, they MIGHT have to damage the steering column... let's make sure we take off all of our wheel lock lugs... wouldn't want them to exert too much energy in trying to bypass those deterrents...

No, wait... let's just make sure we don't leave anything they want... we can have steel rims with wheel covers... and OEM radios... and candles instead of HIDs... that will fix 'em.

Jeez... get a grip... these guys that damage the h*ll out of cars... they do that out of desperation... well, screw them... I'm not about to leave my car 'accessible' to them... I will offer up as many deterrents as possible (including an airbag lock that you can buy)...

Do what you want, but don't put down the deterrents that are offered... they are out there to weed out those who don't want to exert energy in theft...

=R
Advertising to steal your car? Hahaha. Your arguement is weak. The OBVIOUS difference is that until the thief starts mutilating your car, he won't have a clue you have an "anti"-theft kit. Your scenario is calling ANYONE, not just prowling thiefs, to come steal your car. Do you see the difference? I can break it down for ya.

Again...the more difficult you make it, the more damage they will cause to YOU. It's up to you on how much trouble you're willing to go through to "screw them". Yeah, like the extra 2-seconds Nissans' WORTHLESS anti-theft kit is going to "screw them". Anyways, until YOUR car gets ripped like the above members' car, then come talk about how you don't care that it's in the bodyshop and you get to roll the Cavalier for a week. Then IF you keep your car for 3-5yrs, you'll start seeing the paint isn't the same as OEM and people will think your car has been in an accident. Then you can't sell it for sheit.

Screwdriver w/no damage OR a crowbar w/free week in the bodyshop for a damaged fender/hood/bumper...hmmmn...I'll take the screwdriver.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, I deserved that. What I meant was, do you think thieves cruise the lots looking at taillights, not bothering to get out and look at the headlights unless they see 2k2 or 2k3 taillights. Assuming the cars are pulled in front-first and the headlights can't easily be seen.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:41 AM

why not just put a decal on the car that says "acura cl's and tl's have HID's too"
Old 05-10-2003, 05:03 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by mingo
why not just put a decal on the car that says "acura cl's and tl's have HID's too"
haha....too funny...I should throw a sticker on there that says "Why steal my HID when you can walk two houses over to that unguarded 3.2TL?"

Old 05-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Banned

Ahh, I see we're on this thread topic again
Old 05-10-2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Methodical
Hey guys, newbie here. Thinking of getting a 2k2 but worried about all the HID thefts. A couple of questions... Do the theives key on the taillights of the 2k2 and 2k3 to tell them which to hit, and would putting 2k1 tails on help? Also, how much do 2k1 setups cost? Easy to switch them yourself? Thanks, I tried the search but didn't find what I wanted.
Not sure if it'd help much (I thought about it doing it too), but besides the taillights, the Nissan logo on the grille is a lot smaller on 2K and 2K1 Maxes than 2K2-2K3. Also, the stock radios seem to look a bit different.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:41 AM

If they look for just tails... they'll be severely disappointed at cars like my g/fs GXE... it's a 2k with the 2k3 SE tails. No HIDs there.

Hey look, ICE, you do what you want to do, but YOUR argument is weak. Give them the easiest scenario? Non-matching OEM color? Whatever, dude. I will give them the most difficult scenario possible. If I find the HIDs gone with damage from a crow bar, well, DUH... that is the 'newest' way for them to take the HIDs, isn't it? Chalk it up to calling the insurance company and taking it up to the dealer, where I'm sure they will be able to restore it back to OEM color.

You want to worry about resale? Whatever, dude. I plan on keeping my Max for, oh, about 7 to 10 years. Not much resale then, now, is there? Especially when I will have about 150k miles or so.

Your whole basis about 'rolling in a Cavalier for a week' is pathetic at best... you are worried about what rental car you have to drive? Grow up, dude... what, you worried that your homies are going to see you and laugh? Let 'em laugh. Big deal. Whatever. You'll get your Max back and then see who laughs. It's a stupid RENTAL... you want to live your life rotating around that, be my guest. BIG DEAL.

People won't think it is in an accident if they know about HID theft. And if it is restored to OEM, it won't lose value, plain and simple. The kits do what they are designed to do... deter, not PREVENT theft. And if it makes a difference whether the thieves walk away with a $200 bulb set or $800 worth of HID housings, I will vote for the smallest profit for them every time.

-R
Old 05-12-2003, 10:28 AM

Hey look, ICE, you do what you want to do, but YOUR argument is weak. Give them the easiest scenario? Non-matching OEM color? Whatever, dude. I will give them the most difficult scenario possible. If I find the HIDs gone with damage from a crow bar, well, DUH... that is the 'newest' way for them to take the HIDs, isn't it? Chalk it up to calling the insurance company and taking it up to the dealer, where I'm sure they will be able to restore it back to OEM color.
Riiiight. Keep up the fantasy, so you can "screw them" out of a whole 2-seconds with the worthless Nissan anti-theft kit, but UNTIL you've had yours stolen, you don't know jack. So, you'll get the pleasure of rolling a nice Cavalier and having your Max F'd up for what? 2-seconds maybe. You can't do ANYTHING about preventing your lights from being stolen other than DEFENSIVE PARKING or a 2K-2K1 swap due to Nissans' DESIGN FLAW, so you might as well wake-up and smell reality.

You want to worry about resale? Whatever, dude. I plan on keeping my Max for, oh, about 7 to 10 years. Not much resale then, now, is there? Especially when I will have about 150k miles or so.
You don't know that for sure, nobody does, and IF you did keep it for 7-10yrs., by then the paint will look like sheit compared to the OEM paint on non-repainted panels. Let me guess, you don't care about how your car is going to look by then.

Your whole basis about 'rolling in a Cavalier for a week' is pathetic at best... you are worried about what rental car you have to drive? Grow up, dude... what, you worried that your homies are going to see you and laugh? Let 'em laugh. Big deal. Whatever. You'll get your Max back and then see who laughs. It's a stupid RENTAL... you want to live your life rotating around that, be my guest. BIG DEAL.
Whole basis? Get a grip. Anyways, I'd prefer to not have to drive ANYTHING other than my car. Actually, I'd prefer just to NOT have to go through the hassle of body damage PERIOD. My buddies 350Z just got back from Nissans' Expert Paint&Body for MINOR damage. Guess what. After 2+ weeks, said it would be a week, it's still not perfect. It never is.

People won't think it is in an accident if they know about HID theft. And if it is restored to OEM, it won't lose value, plain and simple.
Yeah, everyone knows about HID theft, right? Haha. It's NEVER as good as OEM and ANYONE that knows its been damaged/repainted will devalue the car because it's never going to be as good as OEM. Hell even one member on here bought his "new car" in NY, which turned out to have a repaired front end due to HID theft and he was PI$$ED. Last he said, he was persuing a lawsuit for compensation, so apparently it does lose value "plain and simple", if dealerships are DECEIVING customers that their "new car" has been damaged and repaired. Otherwise, why not just disclose that? Customers won't care, right? LOL!

The kits do what they are designed to do... deter, not PREVENT theft. And if it makes a difference whether the thieves walk away with a $200 bulb set or $800 worth of HID housings, I will vote for the smallest profit for them every time.
The point you are CLEARLY missing is that these kits don't deter anything, so your point is getting weaker. Just to enlighten you, according to Webster, DETER is to turn aside, discourage, or prevent from acting. NONE of the currently available anti-theft kits/bolts DETER anything. It's a waste of time and money, because it's not until AFTER the thief has already commited that he's going to know something is different. If the thief chooses your car, the "anti-theft" kit is going to cost you more money, time, and damage, withOUT any skin off his back.

Options:
1)$800 for thief, ZERO body damage.

or

2)$200 for thief, 1-week minimum in Cavalier, F'd paint and body gaps, lower resale, paint looks like crap in 4-5yrs.

Hmmmmn...hard decision, but I'll take the option that's the least PITA to ME, ie (1).
Old 05-12-2003, 12:28 PM

Ice, you are pathetic. Really.

You base all of your argument on whether or not you have to drive a rental car (which you ASSUME would be a Cavalier). You ASSUME the paint would be F'd up, you ASSUME body gap. You comment that the paint looks like crap in 4 to 5 yrs... I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I plan on keeping my Max for 7 to 10 yrs. Get a grip, show me a car that, with OEM paint, will still look good after 10 yrs in any major urban area, especially in the midwest with salt damage, body dings, roadside hazards, etc. I'll show you a car which wasn't driven much, if that's the case. Wake up.

Read your above post again. DETER: to DISCOURAGE. I still stand on the fact that the anti-theft kit CAN and MAY discourage SOME thieves from taking the HIDs. With the current trend (using a crowbar and '2 seconds' theft), yes, this may not deter them. "Defensive parking" hasn't been a good option for some on the Org... explain 'defensive parking' when the HIDs are STOLEN IN THEIR DRIVEWAY! Seems to me the trend is occur a lot in the NJ/NY area... that would be common sense for a Max owner in that area to either (1) convert to the old headlights IF they are that paranoid (this, by the way, DEVALUES the Maxima), (2) install deterrent measures (my suggestion), or (3) practice 'defensive parking' and hope for the best (your way). Seems to me that you are correct in that you can offer up a lot of deterrents and still have your HIDs stolen. Yes, this is true. I am still correct in that you can offer the deterrents and take money out of their pocket... money that they would have profited from under YOUR method. I have insurance, I'll take the risk.

Enough said.

-R
Old 05-12-2003, 12:48 PM

Ice, you are pathetic. Really.
Weeeeak.

You base all of your argument on whether or not you have to drive a rental car (which you ASSUME would be a Cavalier). You ASSUME the paint would be F'd up, you ASSUME body gap. You comment that the paint looks like crap in 4 to 5 yrs... I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I plan on keeping my Max for 7 to 10 yrs. Get a grip, show me a car that, with OEM paint, will still look good after 10 yrs in any major urban area, especially in the midwest with salt damage, body dings, roadside hazards, etc. I'll show you a car which wasn't driven much, if that's the case. Wake up.
Wrong. Is English your primary language? Must not be or you need to improve your reading comprehension. All a hassle, which you ASSume by attempting to "screw them". YOU ARE THE ONE GETTING SCREWED! Or crowbared, more accurately.

Read your above post again. DETER: to DISCOURAGE. I still stand on the fact that the anti-theft kit CAN and MAY discourage SOME thieves from taking the HIDs. With the current trend (using a crowbar and '2 seconds' theft), yes, this may not deter them. "Defensive parking" hasn't been a good option for some on the Org... explain 'defensive parking' when the HIDs are STOLEN IN THEIR DRIVEWAY! Seems to me the trend is occur a lot in the NJ/NY area... that would be common sense for a Max owner in that area to either (1) convert to the old headlights IF they are that paranoid (this, by the way, DEVALUES the Maxima), (2) install deterrent measures (my suggestion), or (3) practice 'defensive parking' and hope for the best (your way). Seems to me that you are correct in that you can offer up a lot of deterrents and still have your HIDs stolen. Yes, this is true. I am still correct in that you can offer the deterrents and take money out of their pocket... money that they would have profited from under YOUR method. I have insurance, I'll take the risk.
You are ASSuming. It will NOT deter a thief from committing damage, because there is NO WAY for them to know it's there until they've already committed. It's not just a 'current trend', it's the PRIMARY method used and has been. 1)ONLY occurs if you don't put the old lights back before selling. 2)Is a worthless joke. 3)Yes, only PROVEN way to DETER thefts, ie not parking on the street, instead parking in a garage or safer location. YOUR method is AFTER the fact and thus worthless, whereas my DEFENSIVE PARKING or swap method reduces your chances of actually getting hit. SEE THE DIFFERENCE YET? Should I break it down lower?

Enough said.
Then why do you ask to explain defensive parking?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:59 PM

You are obviously a very shallow man to attempt a comment such as asking if English is my primary language. I'll break it down for you... my family has been in this country for over 250 years. You figure it out. I also speak Spanish AND Polish, and have visited over 19 countries in the 16 years of service in the military I have thus far. I have a BS from the University of Wisconsin, and am proven in both of my fields of work (civilian and military). WHY would you ever stoop so low as to say such an ASSinine comment as that other than to display your lack of IQ?

I ended this back and forth by saying, in other terms, that we both have different approaches. I respect yours, now you respect mine and let's go our separate ways. You want to play 'swap swap' games with your Max and change the headlights (which devalues the car) and worry about driving a rental car (like someone judges you or your character by the type of rental car you drive). I want to include deterrent measures... whether or not it is for a false sense of security, so be it. Don't tread on my right to an opinion and to offer advice to THOSE WHO WANT TO INSTALL AN ANTI THEFT HID kit. You obviously don't, so take your bottle and go home to mommy.

-R
Old 05-12-2003, 01:09 PM

You are obviously a very shallow man to attempt a comment such as asking if English is my primary language. I'll break it down for you... my family has been in this country for over 250 years. You figure it out. I also speak Spanish AND Polish, and have visited over 19 countries in the 16 years of service in the military I have thus far. I have a BS from the University of Wisconsin, and am proven in both of my fields of work (civilian and military). WHY would you ever stoop so low as to say such an ASSinine comment as that other than to display your lack of IQ?
So what happened to your reading comprehension? OR did you just refine your selective memory skills instead?

I ended this back and forth by saying, in other terms, that we both have different approaches. I respect yours, now you respect mine and let's go our separate ways. You want to play 'swap swap' games with your Max and change the headlights (which devalues the car) and worry about driving a rental car (like someone judges you or your character by the type of rental car you drive). I want to include deterrent measures... whether or not it is for a false sense of security, so be it. Don't tread on my right to an opinion and to offer advice to THOSE WHO WANT TO INSTALL AN ANTI THEFT HID kit. You obviously don't, so take your bottle and go home to mommy.
2x is easy. The loss of night-time visibility is something that would prevent ME from doing the swap NOT the hassle. I don't have ANYTHING against a Cavalier or care what OTHERS think about what I drive. Hell I drive a Maxima for christ sake. Point WAS that it's NOT MY CAR, thus not the same.

I agree deterent is KEY, however the Nissan anti-theft kit is retarded and doesn't prevent theft as "anti-theft" implies NOR does it deter as you've been assuming. Do you realize that all it does is somewhat prevent access to opening the hood with a screwdriver? Is that worth $30 or whatever, when they just pry them out, withOUT opening the hood? I don't think it is.

My mommy doesn't live at my home, so that's not possible.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:14 PM

Ice... we can talk more offline about this. Serious. I would love to have an 'intelligent' conversation with you, even a debate. I don't want to involve the others or waste the precious server space from an inoperable server.

I'll PM you, ok?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:16 PM

Ice... we can talk more offline about this. Serious. I would love to have an 'intelligent' conversation with you, even a debate. I don't want to involve the others or waste the precious server space from an inoperable server.

I'll PM you, ok?
Naaaw. Don't waste your breath.

BOTH of us are stubborn and don't see the others viewpoint, so lets just drop it.

Cool?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:33 PM

Sure... I'm cool.

Just please avoid the "do you speak English" comments. Save it for those who have so many grammar errors... you'll have a full time job correcting everyone in this Org.

-R
Old 05-12-2003, 01:38 PM

Sure... I'm cool.

Just please avoid the "do you speak English" comments. Save it for those who have so many grammar errors... you'll have a full time job correcting everyone in this Org.

-R

Didn't mean ANYTHING by that.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Banned

Wheeewwwwwww!!! Now that that debate's done..........

I just wanted to point out that "defensive parking" comment before.
I see 2 versions:

1) You park your car "IN" the garage like you should or
2) You park your car in "FRONT" of the garage as close as you can to it, to the point where it practically kisses the door.

Being that I'm in the midst of a massive garage cleanup for the spring, I have no room to park my Max in, but this is my version of defensive parking. Do I still sleep with my eyes open at night and my baseball bat by my bed? YES!!

Just my .02