5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by amomaxima
dont have any pics
im not a huge fan of them, IMO make you look rice
but you can get any setup from the internet or pepboys
Got mine from Circuit City when i worked there
If you do it go LED
neon is too fragile if someone hits it by being and *******
yeah rice is definitely not my goal. my girl just got a lexus IS250 and their floorboards are illuminated JUST brightly enough to be noticeable. i may give it a shot and just see if i can do it the way i want it. thanks amo.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM

oh if your looking for just barely light then get a set of seperate leds and make a spot for them that would be sweet if you get it done let me know and post some pics
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM

Ok you guys are going to want to kill me; but I've been looking for an hour for the specific model number of the harness I need to put an aftermarket head unit in my 02 SE Bose no navi and keep everything else stock (I'll add an amp and sub but that won't be a prob w/ the aftermarket head).

Sorry.. and thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 PM

you want to leave the speakers stock and replace the radio
you need the bose nissan wire harness
crutchfield
circuit city has them for 20
its easy but you need to have a radio with front and rear outputs
so if you want a sub at some point then you need 3 outputs MINIMUM
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by amomaxima
you want to leave the speakers stock and replace the radio
you need the bose nissan wire harness
crutchfield
circuit city has them for 20
its easy but you need to have a radio with front and rear outputs
so if you want a sub at some point then you need 3 outputs MINIMUM
Are you talking about front and rear RCA outputs? I'm almost positive I have front and rear RCA and pre-amp RCA for subs.

I've seen it before, but can't remember what it was. I'm pretty sure it was a harness that I solder to my head unit's harness, and plugs directly into the maxima harnesses..
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Mattlikespeoples
couple questions....Asked about it in another thread and was told to search. That yeilded only mentions of the acronym istelf with out explanation of WHAT is was so...SSIM. 'something something intake manifold'? stainless steel? short stuff?

What the SSIM mod is: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=551401

Dyno results: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=552190
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Does any one know the weight of 17in. Infiniti g35 stock wheels?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM

haha, scott...ummm, why does the graph on the dyno read out have a loop in it?

Also, any idea why i cant post in any other forum?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by bluebriscoe
Does any one know the weight of 17in. Infiniti g35 stock wheels?
23.2 lbs
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by phatboislim
anyone in here ever repaint their interior plastic parts? mine are scratched and i'm at my wits end to find some paint that matches the interior parts..besides paint, my next move is to find some used climate and shifter console parts in good condition
Yes I have repainted mine.

Its pretty easy.

Clean the entire piece off with rubbing alcohol
spray 2 coats of primer
4-5 coats of the color you want
5 coats of clear coat.

this is the result:

I'm actually about to repaint again and go black this time.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Cletus

haha, scott...ummm, why does the graph on the dyno read out have a loop in it?

Also, any idea why i cant post in any other forum?
there is no reason to start a thread with all the research you should be doing to learn all you can from existing threads.
if you have a question, ask here. this thread is to prevent repeat threads by newbies.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

why does the graph on the dyno read out have a loop in it?
Lock-up torque convertor.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
Yes I have repainted mine.

Its pretty easy.

Clean the entire piece off with rubbing alcohol
spray 2 coats of primer
4-5 coats of the color you want
5 coats of clear coat.

I'm actually about to repaint again and go black this time.
yea but what i'm trying to do is keep everything stock looking. i dont want to go to an extreme if u will. i'm a conservative person. i mean if i need to replace the parts i will, i was just seeing if there is an option to paint similar to stock interior paint
Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by phatboislim
yea but what i'm trying to do is keep everything stock looking. i dont want to go to an extreme if u will. i'm a conservative person. i mean if i need to replace the parts i will, i was just seeing if there is an option to paint similar to stock interior paint
You can get any color you want, so If I am thinking correctly you have the dark grey interior panels, so buy some paint that will pretty much match the color that you want.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
SW.. What performance mods would you complete before this one? I am shying away from an intake for a while, but this looks pretty foolproof..

Thanks,

Last edited by Norkoastal; 03-27-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
What performance mods would you complete before this one? I am shying away from an intake for a while, but this looks pretty foolproof..

Thanks,
Quality headers first & foremost.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
You can get any color you want, so If I am thinking correctly you have the dark grey interior panels, so buy some paint that will pretty much match the color that you want.
well its kinda hard to describe my interior color..but i guess ill just chk duplicolor
Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Hi, I'm looking for some help figuring out what sound I'm hearing when I go over bumps at low speeds. I'm pretty green when it comes to doing repairs so I brought it in to Tires Plus. The mechanic told me that he suspected I needed new tie rods or sway bar links. I didn't have time to get it done so I came back to get it completed. The next mechanic said he didn't see anything wrong which makes me pretty uneasy about bringing it back to them at all.

I only hear a sound when I go over bumps at low speeds (< 10-15 mph). Another thread talked about a clunk but mine is more than one simple clunk. It's more like two metal parts rattling against each other for a second. I don't hear a squeak or anything like that so I don't believe it's suspension related. Any ideas of what I can try to take a look at? Would there be anything visually obvious to me that something is wrong?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by segundo3000gt
Hi, I'm looking for some help figuring out what sound I'm hearing when I go over bumps at low speeds. I'm pretty green when it comes to doing repairs so I brought it in to Tires Plus. The mechanic told me that he suspected I needed new tie rods or sway bar links. I didn't have time to get it done so I came back to get it completed. The next mechanic said he didn't see anything wrong which makes me pretty uneasy about bringing it back to them at all.

I only hear a sound when I go over bumps at low speeds (< 10-15 mph). Another thread talked about a clunk but mine is more than one simple clunk. It's more like two metal parts rattling against each other for a second. I don't hear a squeak or anything like that so I don't believe it's suspension related. Any ideas of what I can try to take a look at? Would there be anything visually obvious to me that something is wrong?
Are you lowered or anything? Have you touched your suspension? I had the same issue when my strut bearings went out after switching springs on the 3rd time. I picked up some new ones for cheap at the stealership and no more noise. Might want to give that a try, but hard to say exactly without seeing it all in person.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Quality headers first & foremost.
Im in CA though... All easy or legal mods would be my first priority. Other recommendations for my stock setup?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Are you lowered or anything? Have you touched your suspension? I had the same issue when my strut bearings went out after switching springs on the 3rd time. I picked up some new ones for cheap at the stealership and no more noise. Might want to give that a try, but hard to say exactly without seeing it all in person.
I haven't done any modifications to my car. It's basically stock from the dealership but I can put that on the list of things to look at.

One more note is that I can actually hear a clunk as I sit down in my car. Not sure if that helps to point to something.

Last edited by segundo3000gt; 03-27-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Im in CA though... All easy or legal mods would be my first priority. Other recommendations for my stock setup?
If you leave the stock cat, you'll be fine, so no, no other recommendations on your 'stock' set-up.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by segundo3000gt
I haven't done any modifications to my car. It's basically stock from the dealership but I can put that on the list of things to look at.

One more note is that I can actually hear a clunk as I sit down in my car. Not sure if that helps to point to something.
I would guess sway bar endlinks. When you sit down its only on one side which would roll the car a little causing the sway bar end to clunk. Maybe try replacing those first (i dont think they cost much and is a pretty easy swap out). This is a fairly common question here and from what I have read it seems like different things have cured "the clunk" for different people.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Maybe a mandrel bent B-pipe but the stock muffler should be adequate unless you add some boost. Not much gains in the exhaust system itself anyway. You can run headers and O2 sims (so you don't get an SES light), just make sure up top where the inspectors can see that everything looks stock.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Stock A33B catback has supported 247whp before.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Maybe a mandrel bent B-pipe but the stock muffler should be adequate unless you add some boost. Not much gains in the exhaust system itself anyway. You can run headers and O2 sims (so you don't get an SES light), just make sure up top where the inspectors can see that everything looks stock.
Rockin... OT FTW!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Stock A33B catback has supported 247whp before.
Good, because quiet fast cars are way more fun than loud ones.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Cletus

Good, because quiet fast cars are way more fun than loud ones.

frankencar b-pipe + stock muffler FTW
Old 03-28-2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
I would guess sway bar endlinks. When you sit down its only on one side which would roll the car a little causing the sway bar end to clunk. Maybe try replacing those first (i dont think they cost much and is a pretty easy swap out). This is a fairly common question here and from what I have read it seems like different things have cured "the clunk" for different people.
thanks for the help. do you or anyone know if there is a good thread that shows the anatomy of the area around the sway bar endlinks? i'm trying to learn a bit about all of the parts that go into the steering / suspension / etc.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 AM

So I believe I have the Xenon headlights and previous owner has replaced headlight bulbs semi-recently.

The passenger light goes out and flickers over bumps at times... I checked wiring, it's plugged in and not really loose... What is causing this?
More details about the possible conditions?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Hey guys, I'm thinking about going 5 speed, S/C (vortech V2), some suspension tuning (coilovers, ARB's, etc...), and rims and tires when I save up enough cash, which will probably be about 1-2 years because I need to buy my MAX first.

Does anyone know the round-a-bout cost for all this? I was thinking about 4-5k for the initial parts: the 5spd, suspension components, and DOT slicks; and probably about 8-10k for everything listed. Am I way off?

I want to know because I need to have a goal

Last edited by TakeIt2TheMAX; 03-28-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TakeIt2TheMAX
Hey guys, I'm thinking about going 5 speed, S/C (vortech V2), some suspension tuning (coilovers, ARB's, etc...), and rims and tires when I save up enough cash, which will probably be about 1-2 years because I need to buy my MAX first.

Does anyone know the round-a-bout cost for all this? I was thinking about 4-5k for the initial parts: the 5spd, suspension components, and DOT slicks; and probably about 8-10k for everything listed. Am I way off?

I want to know because I need to have a goal
Take it 1 step at a time, don't plan on buying everything at once.

Also, prices vary greatly, so that answer is and can be very subjective.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reset the codes and if they come back, change the O2 sensors.
i changed both sensor. everything seems fine for now. i got a lil bit more power.

Should i update my ecu since i changed the sensor and the MAF?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by KRIM

Should i update my ecu since i changed the sensor and the MAF?
Unless the car is running bad/rough, no.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Take it 1 step at a time, don't plan on buying everything at once.

Also, prices vary greatly, so that answer is and can be very subjective.
The 5spd is the very first on my list, next is suspension. I hate driving auto because I have been trained to drive a stick. And because the cars i've been trained on have superb handling i need something a little extra in that dept. too. The brakes and tires are somethings that can wait because I don't think Granny has been too rough with 'em. The S/C, exhaust, etc... would be nice, but that is still up in the air and not definite, like the others.

I am hopefully going to purchase my grandmothers max sometime this year because she is going to get a new car.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i mentionned in a post a few page ago i had a maf problem....replaced the maf last week, all my problems are gone now, but one really WEIRD problem happens now, my idle is perfect if driving under 75-80km/h, but if i remove of gear and go on neutral at high speed my idle fluctuates and bounces between 500rpm to 900rpm, as soon as the speed drop below 70km/h it just sits properly at 650rpm. the car is 01 ae 5 speed
no codes and iacv seems ok and clean...tried searching but no dice, and can it be related to the maf? i didnt reprogram my ECU but all the previous problems are gone now, any ideas help me please the maxima is driving me crazy lately

Last edited by devil_bg; 03-28-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by devil_bg
i mentionned in a post a few page ago i had a maf problem....replaced the maf last week, all my problems are gone now, but one really WEIRD problem happens now, my idle is perfect if driving under 75-80km/h, but if i remove of gear and go on neutral at high speed my idle fluctuates and bounces between 500rpm to 900rpm, as soon as the speed drop below 70km/h it just sits properly at 650rpm. the car is 01 ae 5 speed
no codes and iacv seems ok and clean...tried searching but no dice, and can it be related to the maf? i didnt reprogram my ECU but all the previous problems are gone now, any ideas help me please the maxima is driving me crazy lately
can somebody help?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 AM

Got a newbie question for you guys. I recently pulled 3 codes for my car, P1320, P0505 and P1130. Im picking up some new coils and just ordered a IACV. The remaining code is for Swirl Control Valve. I searched but didnt find much, nor any pictures at least. Any pics of what exactly it is im looking for and how much it would be? I contacted Dave B. But nissan sells it as a package with the upper intake manifold i believe which is almost $500.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM

hello to all!! i have question about the 02 max motor. is there a way or anyone out there that can reprogram the computer to get all the power out of the motor that we're being robbed of?? i've seen someone reprogram a new stock mustang and it gained about 25 to 30 horses! thank you for your time!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by BlueMaxSE
hello to all!! i have question about the 02 max motor. is there a way or anyone out there that can reprogram the computer to get all the power out of the motor that we're being robbed of?? i've seen someone reprogram a new stock mustang and it gained about 25 to 30 horses! thank you for your time!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=334314
http://www.technosquareinc.com/

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread