5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Get the code again.
i would have but they reset the comp, once it comes back on some time today/tomorow i will repost with the code
Old 05-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stalls, rough idle and 3 codes...

Most of you know WAY more than me, so it goes over my head. I'm just trying to diagnose and take the next and cheapest step...went to Autozone and got the following codes: 0300 (multiple misfire), 0430 (cat efficiency below - bank 2), and 2 different 0011 (camshaft pos. actuator A Bank 1 & the other said 'pending')

My baby has 270K on it, and just started doing the rough idle. It happened, then went away and drove fine. Two days later (after driving fine), it happened again and actually wouldn't stop stalling. Went out today and it fired up, was rough, then smoothed out and drove fine. So I'm thinking sensors, but I just don't know enough. Any thoughts? Can I do easy things that don't require a trip to a mechanic? I have a Haynes book for 2001 which helped me change brakes, so I can follow directions. Just don't wanna screw stuff up. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 PM

roof rack

I have a 2000 Maxima SE and am moving to Alabama for college. I don't have a whole lot of room for moving so I was thinking about investing in a roof rack. Has anyone else gotten one or have any opinions on them?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:45 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Since no one is answering my question about the pending P0340 code I have (Camshaft position sensor A circuit), assuming there are no wiring issues, will getting the proper sensor and replacing it fix the problem? No rough idle, no hard starting, car seems to be running fine.

Still going to check to see if the work was done during the recall and if not, see if they will go ahead and take care of all 3 sensors before I go on a 900 mile drive to Kentucky on Thursday.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 AM

Help please!

I'm curious if there is a s/c available for my 02 GLE. Also, does anyone have an estimate on converting to 6 spd? Does the techtonic or triptronic or whatever its called transmission from the newer models match up?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dfoster
This is my 15th post!!!!
I'm curious if there is a s/c available for my 02 GLE. Also, does anyone have an estimate on converting to 6 spd? Does the techtonic or triptronic or whatever its called transmission from the newer models match up?
Please do not post ***** to get to 15 posts. You could have spent the time finding answers to your questions, which have been asked many times before in the 5th Gen forum and in the Force Induction forum.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by redrelyt12
I have a 2000 Maxima SE and am moving to Alabama for college. I don't have a whole lot of room for moving so I was thinking about investing in a roof rack. Has anyone else gotten one or have any opinions on them?
i have a yakima roof rack with two high roller bike racks. fits and works great. comes on and off easily. check the great picture thread for some pics.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Since no one is answering my question about the pending P0340 code I have (Camshaft position sensor A circuit), assuming there are no wiring issues, will getting the proper sensor and replacing it fix the problem? No rough idle, no hard starting, car seems to be running fine.

Still going to check to see if the work was done during the recall and if not, see if they will go ahead and take care of all 3 sensors before I go on a 900 mile drive to Kentucky on Thursday.

A camshaft position sensor is purely used for diagnostic feedback, a failing sensor wont cause the engine to run rough as the ECU will pick up similar information from the crankshaft position sensor, mass airflow sensor ect. to make up for the missing info to maintain driveability I do believe you can remove the sensor and check the resistance of it (disconnected, should be 0 ohms ) to see if its correct.
also how have you tried to clear the code? if so how long did it take before it came back on? it could clue you in as to weather the sensor is bad or a short in the harness or signal plate on the camshaft is no good

Last edited by majesticmaxima; 05-19-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:06 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
A camshaft position sensor is purely used for diagnostic feedback, a failing sensor wont cause the engine to run rough as the ECU will pick up similar information from the crankshaft position sensor, mass airflow sensor ect. to make up for the missing info to maintain driveability I do believe you can remove the sensor and check the resistance of it (disconnected, should be 0 ohms ) to see if its correct.
also how have you tried to clear the code? if so how long did it take before it came back on? it could clue you in as to weather the sensor is bad or a short in the harness or signal plate on the camshaft is no good
Cam sensor can cause problems, dying out, etc. There is a TSB for 02's. Perhaps try cleaning the sensor contact.

I'm curious if there is a s/c available for my 02 GLE.
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Also, does anyone have an estimate on converting to 6 spd?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=389300
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=6-speed+swap

Does the techtonic or triptronic or whatever its called transmission from the newer models match up?
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...62&postcount=3
Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 AM

everytime I make a right turn, theres a clanking noise coming from the passenger side front wheel. its getting really annoying. anyone might know what may be causing this? is it the struts and springs or something else?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by pyroz
everytime I make a right turn, theres a clanking noise coming from the passenger side front wheel. its getting really annoying. anyone might know what may be causing this? is it the struts and springs or something else?
strut bearing mount, axle
Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
strut bearing mount, axle
are those expensive to replace?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pyroz
are those expensive to replace?
First find the problem, then fix it. It depends on what you think is expensive. Both shouldn't run more than 200$, labor rates do vary though.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:06 PM

I need a new battery terminal contact metal thing...

ill try to show it in this picture

i was removing my battery... and when i unscrewed the positive contact.... it was pretty corroded... and i guess the metal gave out....... replaced the battery.. (the reason why i removed in the first place)

but that metal thing that connects to the terminal on the battery... is broken halfway... and wont tighten.... and is very loose.... it looses contact once in a while... and the car gets no power...

i can see that the contact itself is removable... i see screws holding it in place.... where can i get this peice?...and what is it called?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

I used a piece from Autozone. It has like 3 wires, (2 thin and 1 thick) and sued to it require the positive terminal. Works fine, 8$.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Cam sensor can cause problems, dying out, etc. There is a TSB for 02's. Perhaps try cleaning the sensor contact.
According to Nissan, there are no pending recalls for my VIN, meaning either my car wasn't part of the recall or the work had been done already. Kind of hacked off that I went down to Don Davis Nissan this morning before heading out to detail a few cars to see if the recall work had been done and if so, to go ahead and buy a new sensor; if not, to schedule a time for me to come in. They told me the computer was down and they'd call me back in an hour or so. 4 hours later, no call. I called the 800 number in my manual and got hold of "Cherry" who kept referring to my car as a "Nizzan". She informed me that I had no uncompleted recall work for my VIN. That meant driving back to Don Davis after I finished the cars I was working on...full sun and upper 90s to boot...to get the sensor. Ended up getting a pair of hood adjusters too (the rubber things in the radiator support) since mine are pretty much fubared.

On the plus side, the cashier was pretty damn hot, low cut top and lots to display.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

TSB's are not recalls, they are different. TSB's are 'common' problems, some cases they charge to fix, some cases they don;t it depends on the dealership.

Read the stickys, find the one with the Cam Sensor, and follow the TSB, in most cases, you can change DIY for fairly cheap. (diagnose / repalce if nec.)

Recalls are a given free ride, a known and extremely common problem.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

The cam sensors ARE a recall so either the work was already done to my car or it wasn't applicable to my VIN...but mine is the 91st one made for the '02 model, you'd think all recalls would apply.

Anyway, I already loosened and retightened the ground wires as mention in the Nissan service manual I have, waiting for the car to cool down a bit (upper 90s today) before going out to replace the sensor. Looks easy enough-remove airbox for access, unclip the wiring, remove one bolt, remove old sensor. Lube the o-ring on the new sensor with engine oil, twist into place, tighten bolt, attach the wiring, replace airbox, profit?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM

Hey does anyone have a pair or know about aftermarket headlights to fit the 01 max?
Im looking for a pair of black ones to match the car but the only ones i found that were in the under 200 price range were on ebay. Does anyone know anything about the black headlights that look like the stock ones or the halo headlights like these?
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...max00h-jdm.jpg

is visibility ok? are any of these worth getting, or are there other options for black headlights.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 PM

2003 maxima clatter

I bought a 2k3 6spd max w/ 73k miles 3 weeks ago and it has run like a dream until today. I drove to the store after work and was in there approx 30 min. I came out and started the car and it sounded kinda like a broken fan??? (I know it's not the fan but thats the best i can describe the sound) anyways I pulled out onto the road and the sound got worse up to approx 20 mph then it stopped. when i came to a stop at a red light the sound came back and it idled at a really low rpm then died. I started it back up and had to keep the rpms up past 2k to keep it running. The trip home was about 1/4 mile. I pulled into the driveway and let it idle so i could get out and inspect where the noise was coming from but it wasnt making the noise anymore and it was running fine. I pulled back out and drove around the block but it ran just fine. now its acting like there was never a problem. oh yeah btw previous to this incedent at random times when i would start up it would make the noise for a split second. please somebody tell me whats wrong with my car.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by T3hGman
Hey does anyone have a pair or know about aftermarket headlights to fit the 01 max?
Im looking for a pair of black ones to match the car but the only ones i found that were in the under 200 price range were on ebay. Does anyone know anything about the black headlights that look like the stock ones or the halo headlights like these?
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...max00h-jdm.jpg

is visibility ok? are any of these worth getting, or are there other options for black headlights.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=562219
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 PM

Fidanza Flywheel and Spec +2 clutch new now no Start!

I have a 2002 Maxima that i have recently had a Fidanza Flyweel and a Spec Kevlar +2 Clutch put in now the car won't run...but when you unplug the position Sensor the Car starts in a failsafe mode...Please Help!!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 AM

Is it possible that you may have damaged the crank position sensor during your clutch and flywheel upgrade?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 AM

I used a piece from Autozone. It has like 3 wires, (2 thin and 1 thick) and sued to it require the positive terminal. Works fine, 8$.

I dont know if thats the exact part i had in mind... i dont think i need any wires... i just need that metal peice thats on the end of the positive WIRE.... the part that is in contact with the battery terminal
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by bigjoe87865
I dont know if thats the exact part i had in mind... i dont think i need any wires... i just need that metal peice thats on the end of the positive WIRE.... the part that is in contact with the battery terminal
The same piece I mentioned includes that piece you need. Shop around.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Cletus

nissan uses one with a built in fuse...i got one from the part department at a dealership for around $20
Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM

help with speakers

I have a 2003 maxima se, non-Bose headunit and was thinking about just upgrading my speakers. I don't want to get into all the amps and subs I jsut wanted some nice speakers. MY budget is probably nothing over $200 and I want pretty decent quality for the sound.
I went to crutchfield and they recommended me the Boston Acoustics SX65.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=065SX65&tp=94

But I was also looking at these
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0fsQSMP...0&cc=01http://

Anyone have any suggestions on these or perhaps have an even better suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Oh and would one more question, would I need to upgrade my headunit if I were to get those speakers since I have a non Bose headunit. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by stephen90; 05-20-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
nissan uses one with a built in fuse...i got one from the part department at a dealership for around $20
Ask for Fuseable Link.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 PM

I see... i just didnt think i would need the fuse part along with it.... the metal ring looks like it was detachable from the fuse.... and assumed that all i would need is the metal ring.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

I see... i just didnt think i would need the fuse part along with it.... the metal ring looks like it was detachable from the fuse.... and assumed that all i would need is the metal ring.
Buy a new terminal and wire it in. There are many options, you need to choose 1.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Cletus

the ring is detachable from the fuse...but nobody else sells the ring with the connection needed to connect to fuse properly.
just go to the dealership and buy one
Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 AM

alright.. thanks guys..will be doing that shortly.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM

I bought a 2k3 6spd max w/ 73k miles 3 weeks ago and it has run like a dream until today. I drove to the store after work and was in there approx 30 min. I came out and started the car and it sounded kinda like a broken fan??? (I know it's not the fan but thats the best i can describe the sound) anyways I pulled out onto the road and the sound got worse up to approx 20 mph then it stopped. when i came to a stop at a red light the sound came back and it idled at a really low rpm then died. I started it back up and had to keep the rpms up past 2k to keep it running. The trip home was about 1/4 mile. I pulled into the driveway and let it idle so i could get out and inspect where the noise was coming from but it wasnt making the noise anymore and it was running fine. I pulled back out and drove around the block but it ran just fine. now its acting like there was never a problem. oh yeah btw previous to this incedent at random times when i would start up it would make the noise for a split second. please somebody tell me whats wrong with my car.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

How's the oil level? Any SES lights?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Cletus

sounds like the noise is the timing chain rattle
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Themajesticking
You would too if you tried taking an on-ramp @ 60mph with stock suspension.
Whats wrong with an onramp at 60 with the stock? HeHe...jk. It is pretty squishy.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
an auto maxima sucks and is slow...true story

The other day I pulled up to a 5th gen, maybe 5.5, not sure. It was a standard and my 02 is an auto. I smoked the daylights out of him and I only have the Injen. Is this cause I'm that cool or cause he can't shift, or maybe he was in the 3.0?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Cletus

The other day I pulled up to a 5th gen, maybe 5.5, not sure. It was a standard and my 02 is an auto. I smoked the daylights out of him and I only have the Injen. Is this cause I'm that cool or cause he can't shift, or maybe he was in the 3.0?
1. dont talk about street racing
2. he had a 3.0
3. he had a 3.5 and wasnt trying

an auto might be faster in a straight line...but that isnt why i have my car...in the corners...an MT will spank an auto
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
wat

Good for you.

Hope I don't break your heart but... your Injen is a downgrade from stock intake.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Good for you.

Hope I don't break your heart but... your Injen is a downgrade from stock intake.
Really? I geuss it may just be in my head but I could swear I feel the difference passing people. Not just the sweet *** noise. There must have been ten websites claiming 28.2 hp from that intake. After reading around here a little bit I think maybe I got hosed?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread