5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

If he had a 4th gen, he might have been a 4th gen mod. this is the 5th gen section. There is a thread identical to this one in the 4th gen forum, maybe try adn remember his name vs trying to randomly post & find him.

And brakes > breaks. There are probably a dozen mods here w/ Z32 brakes too so.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...osting-47.html
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Ill take that into consideration thank you.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 9999
Hey all, was just reading up on switching the bose stereo with my aftermarket one. Can I start by putting in an aftermarket HU and subs/amp, and keep the bose speakers for now?

Also, I have an 01 maxima AE, what size of speakers are in it?
Any help with this?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
My vote is MAF, get some SES codes, report back.

I do not think it is your FP. Before thinking about replacing your FP, perform a fuel pressure test. But, FIRST check MAF and codes you might have.

The fuel pump is in the tank so ... yeah.

How do I "check" the MAF. What do I look for to tell if it is the problem. I know Autozone reads the OBD codes, is that all I would need to get?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 9999
Any help with this?
Check the Audio and electronics forum. There is plenty of info in there. Start with this thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html

The short answer is yes. That thread has specifics about it.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mholmen
How do I "check" the MAF. What do I look for to tell if it is the problem. I know Autozone reads the OBD codes, is that all I would need to get?
Get the codes checked first, and if nothing arises, post back.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

IIRC?
IBTL? Whats this jibberish mean??
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly, or Recall, either way.

IBTL = In Before The Lock.
http://forums.maxima.org/4597150-post1.html

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-30-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Get the codes checked first, and if nothing arises, post back.

Just got back with the code.

P0134 -- Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 in bank 1
Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Cletus

Just got back with the code.

P0134 -- Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 in bank 1
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ing-codes.html
Old 07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

The color coordination on that is inaccurate for 02-03, so don't let that confuse you if you do have an 02/03.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Cletus

The color coordination on that is inaccurate for 02-03, so don't let that confuse you if you do have an 02/03.
the color of the harness?

the part number is whats important
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

Just didn't want him to get confused.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Cletus

Just didn't want him to get confused.
i just pulled the color and part number from the TSB
Old 07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, does this code mean I need to replace the 02 sensor or (as I have read in other threads) the MAF? Also, could a cleaning of the MAF fix it?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanx max
Old 07-30-2008, 04:48 PM

ok so i replaced the mafs with a new one. it made no change. so i still got an issue.

since my car is rwd, the motor is turned 90 degrees counterclockwise. the "hissing sound" i talked about early is DEFINITELY coming from the part of the motor right up against the firewall. remember my motor is turned 90 degrees, so if you were looking at the engine bay on your maxima, the hissing sound would be coming from the driver's side of the motor.

since it is right up against the firewall, i can't tell exactly where it is coming from but that is the general direction.

tomorrow im gonna pull the intake manifold off (for real this time) and see if i can find something, but if anyone has any ideas what could be making that hissing noise from that end of the motor, please lmk!

i also noticed smoke coming from the headers on the right side of my engine bay (this would be your front facing headers) after revving the motor. it was a decent amount of smoke but it did not smell liek fuel....
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM

Amazing wierd problem

Okay! so today i pickup my car nissan maxima 2000 from having it stored for 2 weeks and at first im driving smooth. i stop go into a seven-eleven start the car and my whole car is vibrating/shaking enough to feel it on the doors/seats/pedals...everything! so i ignore it and drive and somehow on my way home it just goes away. i start it up again later and it doesnt do it, start it again and it does...again its like a 50/50 chance.

thats not the half of it i also noticed today while having my car on PARK and rev'd the engine the Odometer works fine i step out car and when i walk into my house and coe back out i notice my engine shut itself off, no engine noise or nothing just shut off... i try it again and sit and wait in the car to experience what might actually be going on and i notice my Odometer drops back to 0(Zero) before my engine turns itself off always when im on park and rev but it doesnt seem to be happening on other gears Drive/revers etc.. seem to be ok and its not suhtting off at stop lights at all. ONLY WHEN IM ON PARK AND REV.

WTF HELP ME PLEEEEASE

also i should mention if i leave my car warming up eventually the rpms on Odom start to deplete untill my engine just shuts itsself off

im no expert but i am stumped and my friend who is something close to decent with his own car mech skills isnt sure either but hes a honda freak and pretty much no help

Help please!

only thing i can think of is that today i had my hood open while it was raining for a bit and i tried driving some barely wet parts with a towel and letf it at that.

Last edited by dewd; 07-30-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

So, does this code mean I need to replace the 02 sensor or (as I have read in other threads) the MAF? Also, could a cleaning of the MAF fix it?

Thanks
I would try to repalce the O2 sensor in question first.

Originally Posted by RedRun
ok so i replaced the mafs with a new one. it made no change. so i still got an issue.

since my car is rwd, the motor is turned 90 degrees counterclockwise. the "hissing sound" i talked about early is DEFINITELY coming from the part of the motor right up against the firewall. remember my motor is turned 90 degrees, so if you were looking at the engine bay on your maxima, the hissing sound would be coming from the driver's side of the motor.

since it is right up against the firewall, i can't tell exactly where it is coming from but that is the general direction.

tomorrow im gonna pull the intake manifold off (for real this time) and see if i can find something, but if anyone has any ideas what could be making that hissing noise from that end of the motor, please lmk!

i also noticed smoke coming from the headers on the right side of my engine bay (this would be your front facing headers) after revving the motor. it was a decent amount of smoke but it did not smell liek fuel....
So, first off, , which ECU are you using, and what codes is it throwing?

Originally Posted by dewd

WTF HELP ME PLEEEEASE

So basically, your car idles fine in gear, but dies in neutral or park? Ok and also, it’s tachometer, not odometer.

First things first, do you have any SES lights on? If so, get the codes read from your local auto parts store (Autozone, etc). Could be a vacuum leak, but a code would help.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM

Forgive me for asking it here, coz it's so quiet over there where the proper section is.

Ok so my question is, how do i ACCURATELY check my ATF and engine oil?? i have an 02 SE and when i try to check, the oil is everywhere on the dip sticks which makes it very hard to read.

I looked at the manual and it says that the engine takes 4.4L with the oil filter changed, so i've been changing the oil and the filter every time i do an oil change.

As for the tranny, i have no idea if it's at the right level, i just put in of what i think how much it came out when i changed it. So desperate to get it checked....

Help!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by maxximaa
Forgive me for asking it here, coz it's so quiet over there where the proper section is.

Ok so my question is, how do i ACCURATELY check my ATF and engine oil?? i have an 02 SE and when i try to check, the oil is everywhere on the dip sticks which makes it very hard to read.

I looked at the manual and it says that the engine takes 4.4L with the oil filter changed, so i've been changing the oil and the filter every time i do an oil change.

As for the tranny, i have no idea if it's at the right level, i just put in of what i think how much it came out when i changed it. So desperate to get it checked....

Help!!
Oil:

General consensus is leave it overnight on a level surface then check it.

ATF:
I never check the level, just the color.

But I once read this:

How to check the ATF fluid level.

I'm not sure about a 95, but my 01 Max and 01 Altima both have the same procedures in their respective owners manuals for checking ATF hot and cold. To check the fluid cold, bring the engine up to normal operating temp before driving and then read between the markings on the cold range on the dip stick. For hot, drive the car at least 5 minutes and then read on the hot side of the dip stick.

Before I changed the fluid on the Altima the last time, I checked the fluid both ways in the morning so I knew the engine & tranny would be cold to start with. I did this on 4 consecutive days and recorded the readings. There was a consistnet hot/cold pattern I could use as a baseline for refilling the tranny once I changed out the old ATF fluid.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-31-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 AM

no SES light at all
also where would i get a code read? autozone/advanced auto parts?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM

always check ATF with the engine running and trans in neutral. i would suggest checking hot, like after a drive home from work or such.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 AM

no SES light at all
also where would i get a code read? autozone/advanced auto parts?
I believe they both check your CEL for free, but recently Cali prohibited them from doing it.

Just call your local auto part stores to double check.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
I believe they both check your CEL for free, but recently Cali prohibited them from doing it.

Just call your local auto part stores to double check.
Cali banned Autozone from CHECKING the codes? I know it's not legal in some states for them to RESET the codes....
Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM

Okay! so today i pickup my car nissan maxima 2000 from having it stored for 2 weeks and at first im driving smooth. i stop go into a seven-eleven start the car and my whole car is vibrating/shaking enough to feel it on the doors/seats/pedals...everything! so i ignore it and drive and somehow on my way home it just goes away. i start it up again later and it doesnt do it, start it again and it does...again its like a 50/50 chance.
Sounds like a bad battery connection. If you are loosing voltage, it will produce the symptoms you describe. Inspect your battery cables for corrodes connectors or damaged wires.

Any check engine lights?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM

So, first off, , which ECU are you using, and what codes is it throwing?

the ecu is the stock one from the 2000 maxima. it isnt throwing any codes.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Jesus!!! Fuel, exhaust manifold, smoke? You scare me dude

The hissing is coming from the intake/TB area so it might just be an intake leak. Removing the IM and inspecting all hosing etc is probably the smartest move.

My guess is that you will discover an intake leak. We might need a few ore details such as what intake and manifolds you are using.

i also noticed smoke coming from the headers on the right side of my engine bay (this would be your front facing headers) after revving the motor. it was a decent amount of smoke but it did not smell liek fuel...
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noise from suspension

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a serious problem with my 03 maxima, one that annoys me greatly. Recently, there has been this squeaky noise coming from my car. It only happens when going over rough surfaces (uneven brick roads) or while driving slow on roads that have bumps or small holes. While driving on the brick roads the sound becomes much louder and it sound as if my car is about to fall apart, this depresses me and now am tempted to sell it. I don't know if this is a familiar problem when the strut/shocks are bad and need replacement. You can also hear the same squeak sound when you close the front doors. I took it to the nissan dealership and was told that it was the hood latch which was tighten however, the problem is still here.

Any hindsight experiences of this matter and where I should direct my attention is welcome. Please help
Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Sounds like a bad battery connection. If you are loosing voltage, it will produce the symptoms you describe. Inspect your battery cables for corrodes connectors or damaged wires.

Any check engine lights?
neg. no check engine lights at all.. someitmes the airbag light shows for a sec when i turn the key but pretty much goes away immediately, but nothing els.

but hmm i did have someone hook a amp/sub for me yesterday when it started happening.. it was raining so i thought that would have been a bigger culprit than the battery but hmm should i try unplugging the amp cored that i have connected directly to my battery and see if that helps any?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM

Jesus!!! Fuel, exhaust manifold, smoke? You scare me dude

The hissing is coming from the intake/TB area so it might just be an intake leak. Removing the IM and inspecting all hosing etc is probably the smartest move.

My guess is that you will discover an intake leak. We might need a few ore details such as what intake and manifolds you are using.
intake manifold is custom and facing forward. i will post pics now that i have my post requirement! look for my thread in the next few hours!! thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM

and actually today driving back home, waiting at a stop light my car turns itself off and goes into 2nd key turn, where it shows all the possible light codes and i had to turn it off and re-ignition. wow im hatin maxima right now

Last edited by dewd; 07-31-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM

and actually today driving back home, waiting at a stop light my car turns itself off and goes into 2nd key turn, where it shows all the possible light codes and i had to turn it off and re-ignition. wow im hatin maxima right now
Definetly take a look at your battery connections, and don't say you hating Maxima right now....sounds like your installer didn't make a good connection at the battery, so how would that be your cars fault?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM

I got code p0140 and it was an o2 sensor, I got that fixed and I still get crap mileage 13.5 per gallon. Could it be that i didnt fix the o2 for a few months? any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Solebreaker
I got code p0140 and it was an o2 sensor, I got that fixed and I still get crap mileage 13.5 per gallon. Could it be that i didnt fix the o2 for a few months? any suggestions?
What was your mpg before?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:24 PM

Oil:

General consensus is leave it overnight on a level surface then check it.

ATF:
I never check the level, just the color.

But I once read this:
cool, i'll try that again. thx
Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
What was your mpg before?
it was like 15-16. i changed the o2 and its still the same. whats avg for a 2000
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't know what avg for all Max's are, but I get 25mpg on my 2000.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would try to repalce the O2 sensor in question first.
Ok, well since alot of people had said MAF I had ordered a new MAF first. I was going to order the o2 sensor after we talked but decided to install the MAF and see what happened first then order the o2 sensor if I still had a problem. Well, it appears that it was the MAF, but also possibly part of the air intake. I have the original air intake and the "weatherstripping" on the connectors that connect the intake to the air filter was completely dry rotted and therefore the connector was not staying closed. I repaired this as well and took the car for a ride. As others have said after replacing there MAF, WOW what a difference!! Seems like that is what it was as the car seems to be running smooth again.

I do have another question now, and I have been searching through the threads but havent quite found it.

Is there a prefered tire for the 2000 maxima? I have the stock 17's, so that would be the 225 50 R17?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM

Ok ill take it back today and have him do whatever to it thanks VQ <3

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread