5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 AM

So now what did the Noob F Up?

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
It's gonna take some elbow grease. Go by a Autozone and rent a puller tool.
Thanks VQ. I went to town at the cost of the spindle nut and got the axle out and back in but now have a rubbing noise from right front and am looking for suggestions before I go back in tonight. It is very tinny almost like something is rubbing against dust shield behind rotor. It comes and it goes but doesn't stay silent for long (driving fast, slow, straight, turning doesn't matter). I did bang on the inner CV joint during removal and slightly deformed the steel plate between the joint and the mount but managed to straighten it before putting axle back in to the point that there was not any noise when spinning it. Sorry for the History of the World here, just hoping for some direction.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM

I was thinking about picking up a warpspeed stainless steal y pipe for my 2000 max. I also have a megan catback already and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on their y pipes if they're really worth the money. though i already doubt they add the 18-20 hp advertised, but still if that working with my catback would work good together or i should get a high flow cat. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any reply's they'll be greatly appreciated
Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by megalos
I was thinking about picking up a warpspeed stainless steal y pipe for my 2000 max. I also have a megan catback already and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on their y pipes if they're really worth the money. though i already doubt they add the 18-20 hp advertised, but still if that working with my catback would work good together or i should get a high flow cat. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any reply's they'll be greatly appreciated

I purchased a warpspeed y pipe for my 2000 maxima and i think it is well worth the price. my whole exhaust is from ebay cost me about $700 for headers to tailpipe. sounds rediculously good!!!!!!!!! sets car alarms off when i pass!!!!!!! Warpspeed headers ,warpspeed ypipe. 0bx 3" catback to a 5.5" muffler muahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah sounds wicked I wish i could post a link to a clip of my exhaust.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM

Hi everyone, got a new one for you after changing the middle front ignition coil and turning on the engine white smoke started to come out from the top part the plastic really melted, it was one of those Duralast bought at autozone, I think some of the dielectric grease that I put in the boot got beetween the spring and the spark and cuased a short circuit, but I´m not sure and dont want to plug in the new exchange coil until I hear your suggestions.

Is a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE with 97k miles

Also, should I change them all, the front pack, or just that one? I noticed that the one from autozone is not the same manufacturer from Nissan and their computer says 3 required.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Ok my question is?? would it be worth it going turbo on a 5.5 gen would it be worth 5k for the kit?? A while back just for kicks I emailed customer service at turbokits.com and they said there 3.5 Altima kit would fit the max. Later Chernmax came out with the first 6th gen successful install. So im wondering y there isn't many 5.5 gen owners who go turbo. There seems to be one on turbokits site who has though and he claims 400+ whp from it.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/customer_cars_12.html
Old 09-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by arreferee
I have a 2000 Maxima that overheats after I have been driving for 4 - 4.5 hours at 75-77 mph. I can reduce my speed to 70 and the temp will drop a little, but I can turn the heat on and the temperature will go back down to normal. The last trip I took, I set the cruise at 70 and it still overheated about 4.5 hours into the trip.

I have 110K miles on it. Over the past year, the following has been done:

New thermostat
New starter
New front axels (needed CV boots, but it wasn't much more $ to replace the whole axels).

Any ideas on what might be causing the car to overheat after an extended period of time on the road. It has never overheated on trips shorter than 3 hours.
Check to see that your cooling fans are operating. Flush your system, you could have a clog or air in there.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Obviously I'm new here, or otherwise I wouldn't be posting in this thread. I've been lurking around here for quite some time now, so I figured I'd finally register (quick and painless).

Moving on, my question is this, I've got a 2000 Maxima 5-speed that I want to slowly mod, and I'm wondering, what's the best exhaust set-up for it? I'm fairly unfamiliar to aftermarket parts for Maximas (My last car was a '95 Volkswagen GTI), so I don't really know what to look for. I'd prefer a throaty sound to it, but still have a bit of hp gain. I've checked the "exhaust clip compiliation" thread, but I'm still unsure of the best overall exhaust. Which would you guys recommend overall?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just picked up a 2000 Maxima SE on Monday. Only issue I have so far is it has a small ticking noise coming from the air conditioner. Sounds like it's coming from under the glove box.

Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by durrell
Just picked up a 2000 Maxima SE on Monday. Only issue I have so far is it has a small ticking noise coming from the air conditioner. Sounds like it's coming from under the glove box.

Any ideas?
You may have leaves or some other debris in your blower motor. Fairly normal for many cars. It's easy to clean out. Remove the glove box and you'll see. I believe there is a write up on this site for this.

There is also a TSB out for this problem. Nissan makes a plastic/foam cover that attaches to the bottom of the blower motor. It's only a few dollars and is easy to install. Your car may all ready have this cover. So check it out.

Do a search.

Last edited by Teddie18; 09-18-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool, will do. I just came from a Frontier and it did the same thing, so I'll check into it.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 PM

Differences between the 350z and maxima vq35? what are they mainly?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2002 maxima that is in great shape,everthing working good,but the automatic seat adajusters wont work ,was wondering if there is something going on that is usal to this model.dealer wanted to take out switches in door,have been burnt by them soo I refrained.Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by CNEELY
I have a 2002 maxima that is in great shape,everthing working good,but the automatic seat adajusters wont work ,was wondering if there is something going on that is usal to this model.dealer wanted to take out switches in door,have been burnt by them soo I refrained.Thanks
If the fuse is good, and the reclining and forward/rear adjustsments don't work, you need to replace the switch(s) on the door.

The reclining & the forward/rear portions are two different motors, so if one works and not the other, it's most likely a motor.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
Differences between the 350z and maxima vq35? what are they mainly?
In regards to what?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM

As far as engine power is concerned
In regards to what?
Old 09-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
As far as engine power is concerned
350z = 287 HP

MAx - 255hp

Same 3.5 motor, difference valves and some other mods I believe.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Thats what I was wondering though, I'm well aware of the HP difference of the cars. Could you please try to be more specific as to what makes the same engine more powerful in a 350Z?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 PM

I am looking to convert my headlights on my 2000 Maxima SE. Right now I have the factories in, but I am looking for a quality HID conversion without breaking the bank. I want something that is not too cheap or aftermarket looking (as close to the 2002/2003 headlights as possible. Suggestions?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM

wich struts to choose??

Hi I have a maxima 00 with eibach springs but I have reads many threads but I can still not decide wich struts to choose....where I live the roads are in really bad shape so I am not looking for racing performance instead I am looking for comfort and a smooth ride...

I was thinking about the tokicos hp blue what do you guys think??

any recomendations?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just wondering what the cheapest coil over struts would be? also im running a 95 max with a '99 vq30de with 13k miles... ive got a vortech v2 pushin 13psi, headers, ypipe, catback, aluminum flywheel, underdrive pulley, stage 3 clutch, 1 step colder plugs, vortech fmu, walbro 255, i have 9k invested in performance parts.. but im havin a problem when hard accellerating it falls on its face around 115 mph when i shift into 4th at around 5000rpm .. any ideas?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rossello
Hi I have a maxima 00 with eibach springs but I have reads many threads but I can still not decide wich struts to choose....where I live the roads are in really bad shape so I am not looking for racing performance instead I am looking for comfort and a smooth ride...

any recomendations?
I have Eibachs with KYB-GR2's. I loved the setup or awhile, but you will take a beating if you got bad roads. I feel EVERY bump x10.

The GR2's are basically stock replacement.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by boostedmadmax
just wondering what the cheapest coil over struts would be? also im running a 95 max with a '99 vq30de with 13k miles... ive got a vortech v2 pushin 13psi, headers, ypipe, catback, aluminum flywheel, underdrive pulley, stage 3 clutch, 1 step colder plugs, vortech fmu, walbro 255, i have 9k invested in performance parts.. but im havin a problem when hard accellerating it falls on its face around 115 mph when i shift into 4th at around 5000rpm .. any ideas?
Post this in the 4th Gen forums.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 PM

any recomendations?
I got H&R sports paired with Tokico Blues put on yesterday. I live in Jersey, roads are pretty bad. The ride is good, not awesome, but good. Handling and tightened suspension was worth the limited reduction in ride quality. The HPs / aka Blues are stock replacement. Check out shox.com for a no hassle sale and good price, that's where I got mine.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 PM

How long does it take for struts and springs to wear in after a new installation? I just got some put on yesterday, I'm loving the ride (H&R sports with Tokico Blues), but have some grinding/noise on bumps. The shop told me it would take a few days to settle in, anyone else have this type of issue?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 01' Max that is leaking a brown oily liquid beneath the left rear door just in front of the wheel well. There is not a lot of fluid, but enough where I am seeing a pattern of spots forming beneath my parking spot. Looking as best I can without jacking up the car, it looks as though it is coming from a rubber bushing with a support welded the the rear axle. Is there such thing as a fluid filled bushing? The brake lines seem to be dry and the brake fluid is full. I am just not sure what could be leaking from that area of the car. Any input would be appreciated...Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM

do the eibachs springs wear out?? i have mine installed like 4 years now I think maybe thats the reason for the struts to wear out so quickly.....

anyone that can clear this??

anyway I am looking for comfort and I already buy the tokico blues...so do I have to change the eibachs springs too? if they wear out? remember I want comfort!!!

Last edited by Rossello; 09-27-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
TGF
Newbie - Just Registered

i want a nice deep sound on my maxima..what should i do to do this
Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by TGF
i want a nice deep sound on my maxima..what should i do to do this
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-electronics-21/
Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by schlmeil
How long does it take for struts and springs to wear in after a new installation? I just got some put on yesterday, I'm loving the ride (H&R sports with Tokico Blues), but have some grinding/noise on bumps. The shop told me it would take a few days to settle in, anyone else have this type of issue?
Grinding? If they didn't install the spring isolators (rubber sleeve on bottom of spring), the spring will be chafing against the perch.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM

do the eibachs springs wear out?? i have mine installed like 4 years now I think maybe thats the reason for the struts to wear out so quickly.....

anyone that can clear this??

anyway I am looking for comfort and I already buy the tokico blues...so do I have to change the eibachs springs too? if they wear out? remember I want comfort!!!
Well, all springs wear out eventually. 4 yrs is a little early. Having lowering springs put more stress on the struts. This is the caveat of having lowering springs.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wasup, my sister gots a 2002 nissan maxima SE, we bought new in 03 and now it has 60k miles. anyways the driver side mirror is broken, i bought a new one from the dealership but i dunno how to unistall the old one and install the new one. and what do you guys use to keep the headlights clear? ive been waxing and polishing them and there still kinda yellow.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Grinding? If they didn't install the spring isolators (rubber sleeve on bottom of spring), the spring will be chafing against the perch.
I guess it is less of a grinding than it is a creaking. There is also a clicking noise when I get out and push up and down over the wheel well by the hood. The creaking noise comes when I'm driving, mostly on bumps. The clicking was happening when I was pushing up and down. It's isolated, for the most part, in my driver's front setup. I'm going to go back to the installer tomorrow and ask what they think, but to be honest, I don't trust them as much as I trust the forum.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by schlmeil
I guess it is less of a grinding than it is a creaking. There is also a clicking noise when I get out and push up and down over the wheel well by the hood. The creaking noise comes when I'm driving, mostly on bumps. The clicking was happening when I was pushing up and down. It's isolated, for the most part, in my driver's front setup. I'm going to go back to the installer tomorrow and ask what they think, but to be honest, I don't trust them as much as I trust the forum.

Thanks for the help.
If it's creaking, it's the spring isolators either missing, or not adjusted right. The spring is rubbing against the perch. My front drivers side is like that on occasion. I just take some white lithium spray grease to the bottom of the spring and it fixes it for awhile. I'm to lazy to take it all apart and fix it. The clicking I'm not too sure about though...I would see if all the bolts are tight.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by 96Impala
and what do you guys use to keep the headlights clear? ive been waxing and polishing them and there still kinda yellow.
I've had great luck with Mother's Plastic Polish. You just rub in it on with a sock (circular motion), let it dry, then buff with another sock. It makes my headlights look clear and shiny. However, I must tell you that mine were pretty clear to begin with. This car has been garaged most of its life. So, if yours are yellowed already (which comes from the sun fading them), you might have to find a more aggressive solution. I have heard of people having good luck using a buffing compound with an orbital buffer.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 96Impala
wasup, my sister gots a 2002 nissan maxima SE, we bought new in 03 and now it has 60k miles. anyways the driver side mirror is broken, i bought a new one from the dealership but i dunno how to unistall the old one and install the new one. and what do you guys use to keep the headlights clear? ive been waxing and polishing them and there still kinda yellow.
i use this stuff called blue magic head light restorer. it works wonders. its like a light compound but works great. cost 5 bucks bought it from walmart
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by LethaHat
Obviously I'm new here, or otherwise I wouldn't be posting in this thread. I've been lurking around here for quite some time now, so I figured I'd finally register (quick and painless).

Moving on, my question is this, I've got a 2000 Maxima 5-speed that I want to slowly mod, and I'm wondering, what's the best exhaust set-up for it? I'm fairly unfamiliar to aftermarket parts for Maximas (My last car was a '95 Volkswagen GTI), so I don't really know what to look for. I'd prefer a throaty sound to it, but still have a bit of hp gain. I've checked the "exhaust clip compiliation" thread, but I'm still unsure of the best overall exhaust. Which would you guys recommend overall?
Well i'm just waiting for my megan catback and berk intake to be shipped so after install those two things i'll let you know how that goes.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

can anyone confirm for me if the buttox portion of the back seat from a 4th gen maxima fit into a 5th gen maxima? i have a 4th gen car i'm parting out and i also have someone in the 5th gen maxima department who is interested in purchasing my lower portion of the back leather seat. thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 PM

stillen y pipe

does the stillen y pipe remove the precats at all or do they remain on the car?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stereo Problem

One day, the three speakers on right side (passenger) of the car stopped working. I checked the obvious balance and fader, but that didnt work. Is it possible the wires came loose from the head unit? If so, how do I get the face plate off, without breaking it, to remove the radio? If you dont think it is loose wires, what could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tom
dellaratta@comcast.net
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tdell5150
One day, the three speakers on right side (passenger) of the car stopped working. I checked the obvious balance and fader, but that didnt work. Is it possible the wires came loose from the head unit? If so, how do I get the face plate off, without breaking it, to remove the radio? If you dont think it is loose wires, what could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tom
dellaratta@comcast.net
Common problem for the 5 gen, real crappy design of the h/u. try the audio forum, they will help u. Search first though. Maxima.org helps those who help themselves.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread