5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by impalaman
I can see through the radiator and condensor just fine. Small patches of dirt here and there, but nothing that should restrict the air flow much at all. Am I correct in assuming that if the water pump is out that it would be leaking out of the water pump? I mean, in my experience, if the water pump goes out, that it would be leaking like crazy from the pump because the bearings would be fried and no longer sealed.

-Jerry
Its possible that you have some blockage somewhere in your cooling system. But its not enough to affect anything untill you turn the ac on. Check the type of coolant you used and that the mixture is right. 50/50 mix is recomended but i rarely mix it like that. i mix about 70/30 water anti cause water transfers heat better than coolant but make sure the mix is strong enough to cover you in the winter.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by impalaman
I can see through the radiator and condensor just fine. Small patches of dirt here and there, but nothing that should restrict the air flow much at all. Am I correct in assuming that if the water pump is out that it would be leaking out of the water pump? I mean, in my experience, if the water pump goes out, that it would be leaking like crazy from the pump because the bearings would be fried and no longer sealed.

-Jerry
Not necessarily. A lot of times it'll leak while you're driving, you won't even notice. That or it'll just start streaming when you turn the engine off.

I wasn't so much referring to dirt in the fins, but anything in between the two that's creating a blockage.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM

Hey I am new to the site and to the Maxima scene was wondering does 02-03 maximas come tiptronic or steptronic or however its said because I see some ppl in their 4sale adds having this as one of the features???
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by pro23
Hey I am new to the site and to the Maxima scene was wondering does 02-03 maximas come tiptronic or steptronic or however its said because I see some ppl in their 4sale adds having this as one of the features???
No.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
No.
thanx thats wat i figured........
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM

I just purchased a '02 GLE and went to pop in a CD to get "CD ERR FO" -.- Has there been any known fixes for this whether it be temporary or permanent? Thanks.

EDIT: Everything else works other than the CD player. There are no CDs in there now that I know of unless the previous owner left some in there. It's not allowing me to put CDs in. I hit the CD6 button and then the error pops up. The wheels that are there to grab the CD and pull it in are spinning like it's trying to eject something and only the right one is spinning.

Last edited by twostepbehind; 08-14-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
just got a P0420 on my 00 max...do i need a new converter?
How many miles? I changed my air filter with the best one I could buy, KN and the P420 code went away. Try that first
Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 PM

Quick question. Originally I had one code for a misfire on cylinder 3, so I replaced the coil and put in all new spark plugs right away and erased the codes. Ran ok for two days, idle was still a little rough. Now it threw the same misfire code on cylinder 3 along with a bad o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 and started running horrible again. Could this bad o2 sensor throw the code for the misfire on cylinder 3 again and make it run horrible again? Or is the coil I put in defective? I replaced the 3rd cylinder coil with a brand new one. Spark plugs were brand new NGK coppers. I refuse to bring it in to a dealership and get raped so i'm tackling it all by myself. Thanks guys.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

okay man it sounds like its coming from the half shaft or the pass. side but when you accelarate in 1,2,3,4,5 and then let off you can here this sound kinda sounds like gears???? really weird sound neva heard it befor....let me know if this was any help
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick ? Is it possible to make a 02 maxima rear wheel or all wheel drive?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 02 nissan maxima SE, when I press the button on the remote to lock it, it will lock but it doesn't sound like it used to and the lights wont light up, now if I am going to unlock it with the remote, the lights light up. I want to fix it back to making the sound when it's locked and so the light will light up also, how do I do this, is this a fuse problem?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Quick question does anyone have or owned NEX Coilover Type SS for their 5.5 gen, wanted to know how is the ride quality and handling and is it worth the price $700 shipped.............
Old 08-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by cristina77
I have an 02 nissan maxima SE, when I press the button on the remote to lock it, it will lock but it doesn't sound like it used to and the lights wont light up, now if I am going to unlock it with the remote, the lights light up. I want to fix it back to making the sound when it's locked and so the light will light up also, how do I do this, is this a fuse problem?
Be sure all doors are closed and there are no lights left on in the interior.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by gofastermax
Quick ? Is it possible to make a 02 maxima rear wheel or all wheel drive?
Yes.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:47 PM

Yes.
Love that answer.

Only if I had the cha ching to convert my Max like that.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Quick question does anyone have or owned NEX Coilover Type SS for their 5.5 gen, wanted to know how is the ride quality and handling and is it worth the price $700 shipped.............
anyone have the answer to my question???
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
No more Maximas...

anyone have the answer to my question???
It's only been 6 hours, you're being much too impatient.

Funny, when I actually searched I found several threads with opinions on the Nex coilovers.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 headlights

hey i gotta 02 max se and was wondering if i were 2replace my hids 2a higher k(8k preferably) would i have 2 jus change the bulb or wut would i have 2do?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am no mechanic - I have a 2000 SE - just replaced the clutch. I bleed the clutch till there were no bubbles on both high and low bleed locations.... I am having two issues. 1) It sounds like the throw-out bearings are not disengaging everytime (or) something is spinning in there usually at higher rpm's - I don't know what everything in there is, but if I were to guess I would say it is the pressure plate spinning. 2) Every once in a while I am unable to get it into various gears... it changes and then it works fine. I am wondering if it is the slave cyliner - or just need to bleed it more??? Hopefully not the throwout barring which was just replaced with the clutch.... HELP!!!!!! Don't want to dig back into the tranny.
...also - it does not need as much pressure to push the clutch down as the old clutch did.

Last edited by biffmystro; 08-17-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Teddy ~B~
hey i gotta 02 max se and was wondering if i were 2replace my hids 2a higher k(8k preferably) would i have 2 jus change the bulb or wut would i have 2do?
You need to fill the lens assembly with ammonium sulfate in order to get that blue tint you want.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Idle Problem....STILL
I had IACV, MAF and ECU replaced last month. Car would not idle at all. That took care of the problem for the most part, but lately when I start the car in the morning, have to rev a second or two before idle will catch. I'm almost afraid to ask....why would it be doing this? It starts and idles normally the rest of the day.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoySoCute
Idle Problem....STILL
I had IACV, MAF and ECU replaced last month. Car would not idle at all. That took care of the problem for the most part, but lately when I start the car in the morning, have to rev a second or two before idle will catch. I'm almost afraid to ask....why would it be doing this? It starts and idles normally the rest of the day.
This may be a stupid question but did you perform the idle relearn procedure?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by th3shuck
Quick question. Originally I had one code for a misfire on cylinder 3, so I replaced the coil and put in all new spark plugs right away and erased the codes. Ran ok for two days, idle was still a little rough. Now it threw the same misfire code on cylinder 3 along with a bad o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 and started running horrible again. Could this bad o2 sensor throw the code for the misfire on cylinder 3 again and make it run horrible again? Or is the coil I put in defective? I replaced the 3rd cylinder coil with a brand new one. Spark plugs were brand new NGK coppers. I refuse to bring it in to a dealership and get raped so i'm tackling it all by myself. Thanks guys.
Car is a 2002 Maxima btw. Anyone know?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by twostepbehind
I just purchased a '02 GLE and went to pop in a CD to get "CD ERR FO" -.- Has there been any known fixes for this whether it be temporary or permanent? Thanks.

EDIT: Everything else works other than the CD player. There are no CDs in there now that I know of unless the previous owner left some in there. It's not allowing me to put CDs in. I hit the CD6 button and then the error pops up. The wheels that are there to grab the CD and pull it in are spinning like it's trying to eject something and only the right one is spinning.
No the 6cd changers blows. Mine busted after a week of owning the car, the only fix is to replace that with an aftermarket HU : JVC FTW

Originally Posted by cristina77
Try holding the unluck and lock button at the same time for 10+ seconds, it can change back and forth to honk or stay silent...
Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM

Has anyone ever used these performance chips or know of any others? http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/200...ormance-Chips/
Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM

anybody know if the forwardmost engine mounts are interchangeable between 1996-2003 in manual max's? some sites have them all listed together and it would certainly make looking for a junkyard part easier

Last edited by Gemner; 08-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by zackkaz
Has anyone ever used these performance chips or know of any others? http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/200...ormance-Chips/
Ok why are you looking at a chip for a naturally aspirated (N/A) car?????? and what you are looking at all it does is trick the ecu into thinking that it is pulling colder more dense air into the motor so it adds more fuel. All your doing with this is making your car run more rich which actually really doesnt increase performance in most applications it decreases power.

Chips for N/A cars are pointless especially if they are stock. the only time you should ever really think about investing in a chip is when you are running a boosted application due to the fact that with the increased air flow you are able to adjust fuel maps/ air fuel ratios and timing more significantly and produce a decent amount of power just by fine tuning these ratios.. For example if you upgrade your turbo or injectors then a chip would come in handy to adjust your a/f ratio to correct for the extra air/fuel added by that part. or else you would get something such as an SAFC and a wideband and tune your a/f ratios manually
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

whats the best thing 2do if i want the yellow foglight look, hid kit, bulbs, tint overlay, etc? i read about the lexus capsules but how would i do that? any suggestions ppl?!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Teddy ~B~
whats the best thing 2do if i want the yellow foglight look, hid kit, bulbs, tint overlay, etc? i read about the lexus capsules but how would i do that? any suggestions ppl?!
VHT makes a spray product. you can find it at automotive paint shops. I would recommend Laminex its a film and is better in the case if you want to remove it. Do not yellow your main head lights though, you will be a cop magnet cause its illegal. Trust me i know the hard way.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

where could i find laminex at i jus tried 2find it and no results
Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 AM

Yes, relearn procedure takes care of it for a while, then starts in again. I guess I can live with it....(don't have any more money to put into it right now!!!)
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

found it
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlight fix

Hey everyone I have a question concerning a front clip i purchased for my dad's car yesterday. The clip suffered some minor dammage during it trip from japan. My foglights have a deep scratches and my headlights have a few dig's but one major one. Is there anything that i can do to get it fixed because i've been waiting to get this front clip for a while. (I heard that i can sand it but i'm not sure on what grit i also do everything myself)
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Post Serpentine belt installation

I just changed the belts on my 01 maxima. Everything is back in place but there is still a little whine. Do serpentine belts have to be "broken in" Will this noise go away? Also there is a light tapping coming from the engine. What are the possibilities that could be? I've had this car a little over a year, I love it. I plan on doin all the maitenance work myself but am new to nissans. I have a haynes manual but as I found out it is not particular to the 01. (PS pump belt removal) Thanks for having this site!!

Last edited by madman81; 08-20-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by madman81
I just changed the belts on my 01 maxima. Everything is back in place but there is still a little whine. Do serpentine belts have to be "broken in" Will this noise go away? Also there is a light tapping coming from the engine. What are the possibilities that could be? I've had this car a little over a year, I love it. I plan on doin all the maitenance work myself but am new to nissans. I have a haynes manual but as I found out it is not particular to the 01. (PS pump belt removal) Thanks for having this site!!
It should not whine. You should check the tension of the belts. Where is this tapping noise coming from? Could be timing chain hitting the cover or.......

Download the factory service manual for your vehicle. Just click the link in my signature.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM

It's only been 6 hours, you're being much too impatient.

Funny, when I actually searched I found several threads with opinions on the Nex coilovers.
thanx boss......
Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Not new, I re-registered.

Shaking

My car shakes at speeds higher than 60 mph. I have balanced the tires 1000xs so its not that. And it shakes a little less going 80 mph or more. Also, at any speed there is a noise that goes with the speed like WONG WONG WONG. If I turn on the radio, and am driving under 60 mph, you couldn't tell anything is wrong with the car. I think it is the tires. I am going on a long drive next month so I want to get this fixed now. Anyone have any ideas what it is? I like getting some info before I take it in so I don't seem completely clueless. I recently had the right front wheel hub and bearing replaced and they changed the endlinks with that job as well.
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2007 Maxima and looking to buy some 20 inch custom rims and tires. I like the deep dish look. Does anyone have any suggesstions?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by cookdemo
I have a 2007 Maxima and looking to buy some 20 inch custom rims and tires. I like the deep dish look. Does anyone have any suggesstions?

I suggest you find the correct forum. Deep dish are
Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
anybody know if the forwardmost engine mounts are interchangeable between 1996-2003 in manual max's? some sites have them all listed together and it would certainly make looking for a junkyard part easier
anybody?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread