5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM

maf problem fixed

hey guys. well i got good news. ill make a quick resume of the event. i got my 2000 maxima w a problem. the car would suddently loose power and recover it bout 5 to 10 seconds later. as time went by the problem got worse, then i would get bad thottle response, couldnt accelelate or the car would stall. changed one oxigen sensor followin wut the scanner was telling me but it didnt fix the problem. finally changed the maf sensor, fixed the problem and the car run wonderfully till coupla days ago, when one cold morning the car just crapped up on me lol. it ran bad and it missfired. changed the plugs again, which they were dirty, finally got a new maf sensor n housing from nissan (150 bucks) and voila! car runnnin like new again. my diagnostic is either a defective sensor or i blew it by rev the engine to high a coupla times. ive learned there more than one symtom to a bad maf. first the car wouldnt pass 3500 on the road, and couldnt gas it up to deep or it would stall, but if gas easy on iddle it would pass to bout 4500 rmps. second time, car would not pass 2400 rmps no matter what. ive read its a safety feature when the maf goes bad. so im glad if this can help anyone w a similar problem.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

arkangel, i just joined the maxima forum to find out what the problem was with my dad's car and its doing the exact same thing as yours. I replaced the plugs and checked the spark on each coil pack, checked for loose vacuum hoses, and all that good stuff. Was getting ready to check the timing, but might get a new MAF and just try it and see what happens. thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:25 PM

maf problems

yeah man i would definally recomend you to try puttin a new maf before you go any further. it seems this problems i very comun on 5th gen nissan maximas. i to recommend you to get it from the nissan. let me know how it works out
Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM

have a question i need answered. I have viewed some posts about converting manual heat controls over to automatic heat controls. I need to get my hands on some wiring schematics. I have an 02 that has stock navigation. The discs are no longer updated and the buttons are falling off. My heat runs through that stupid navigation. I want to go back to that automatic heat controls wondering if the plugs are the same? Anybody know that would be great.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM

also to contribute to above. A bad maf has many different symptoms. Some will fail and throw a code. Some will not. I have been through 4 so far in 4 years but, I have a k&n aftermarket CAI.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM

maf

thx spoolinmax, im now staring to c they go bad really easy. im almost sure now too the more you push high rpms on ur engine the more it will go bad again. which its hard to do since the car has really nice pull lol. yeah mine threw me po160, which it it bad bank 2 sensor 2 ( o2 sensor). now its giving me p0432 and 34. also check your spark plugs even if you just changed them. when my maf when bad last sat the car misfire bad and threw some smoke, and all that dirt went straight to the spark plugs. i changed them again, they were black black (bocsh platinum too, not the cheap ones). one thing thou, i erase the codes but the came back....and i dntk why. my background on cars tell me there might be something else wrong which is the reason why the maf sensor goes bad. if you have any idea let me know! thx
Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

grille swap from gen 5.5 to 5

Does anyone know if its possible to install a front grille from 02-03 models on a 00-01 model?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Maxima Won't Start, battery is fine

Hi everyone, I'm not a car guy (as is probably pretty obvious) and I'm having an issue with my Maxima (2002, 120k miles). The car won't start.

When I open the door to get in, the lights all come on inside like normal, the lights on the dash respond to turning the key, but the engine won't fire at all. I can hear a faint clicking, but it's a fainter sound than I'm used to from a starter.

Oddly, at the same time, the power locks stopped responding only in the 'lock' direction. They would unlock but not lock. Also, the car stopped responding to the remote lock/unlock key fob, but only when I'm outside the vehicle. If the keys are in the ignition, the lock/unlock responds to the key fob.

It sounds like there's some weird electrical gremlins in my car. Anybody have any advice? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kvlar78
Does anyone know if its possible to install a front grille from 02-03 models on a 00-01 model?
Nope, completely different sizes
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by clevesteve
Hi everyone, I'm not a car guy (as is probably pretty obvious) and I'm having an issue with my Maxima (2002, 120k miles). The car won't start.

When I open the door to get in, the lights all come on inside like normal, the lights on the dash respond to turning the key, but the engine won't fire at all. I can hear a faint clicking, but it's a fainter sound than I'm used to from a starter.

Oddly, at the same time, the power locks stopped responding only in the 'lock' direction. They would unlock but not lock. Also, the car stopped responding to the remote lock/unlock key fob, but only when I'm outside the vehicle. If the keys are in the ignition, the lock/unlock responds to the key fob.

It sounds like there's some weird electrical gremlins in my car. Anybody have any advice? Thanks.
Check if your battery is providing enough voltage. You may have to yank it out and take it to an auto store to have it tested.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM

1st thing's 1st, the battery!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM

sound to me like a battery problem as well. if you hear a faint clickin noise it prob means your battery does not have enough power to start the car, but it has just enough juice to work you lights and the unlock option but not the lock one. check your battery first, if it is then you have to think of what made your battery go out. it could just be old age or something else. let me know how it goes.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

se taillights

quick question. do se taillights fight on a 2000 gle maxima?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MitchT207
quick question. do se taillights fight on a 2000 gle maxima?
Yes. If you search, you'll find the answer you need as well as writeups for removing the lights.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have this really wierd problem with my 2000 and havent found someone who can pinpoint it yet...im not that car literate yet but getting there...well my car dont want to start when my engine is cold. it turns over fine but after that it will die out if i dont put some gas on it. i dont like revving my engine when its cold so i try and take it light...sometimes i have to start it ten times and giving it a little gas each time in between in order for the engine to warm up. and sometimes when i start about the 3rd or 4th time into this it starts up real hard and the rpm shoots up. once my car is warmed up though it runs like a champ. but it really dont sound good when i am trying to warm it up. sometimes you hear this sputter noise in the engine like its trying to get gas in it. and you can feel the whole car shake then bog out!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok fellas im looking to get started on my max its a 5th Gen and i wana get started with my drop.. I wana get sum info on good ideas and affordable ones to so i can get my max to where i want it to be !!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinoserous88
I have this really wierd problem with my 2000 and havent found someone who can pinpoint it yet...im not that car literate yet but getting there...well my car dont want to start when my engine is cold. it turns over fine but after that it will die out if i dont put some gas on it. i dont like revving my engine when its cold so i try and take it light...sometimes i have to start it ten times and giving it a little gas each time in between in order for the engine to warm up. and sometimes when i start about the 3rd or 4th time into this it starts up real hard and the rpm shoots up. once my car is warmed up though it runs like a champ. but it really dont sound good when i am trying to warm it up. sometimes you hear this sputter noise in the engine like its trying to get gas in it. and you can feel the whole car shake then bog out!!!
might be fuel injectors, or fuel lines.. not really sure.. i would check the plugs also..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM

My wifes maxima makes a awful noise when you turn the heater on. It sounds like it vibrating under the passenger side of the dash. ANYONE
Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My heater doesnt sound the best either on the passenger side but doesnt seem much of a problem...my maxima is giving me much more issues than that!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pepox369
might be fuel injectors, or fuel lines.. not really sure.. i would check the plugs also..
Does that make sense though when the engine is cold....because thats the only time it gives me problems...i thought it might be the temp sens but ran a test and nothing...i do know it has something to do with getting fuel to the engine.....huuummmm im stumped ..need help!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM

well first things first, check your spark plugs. if they a lil dirty change them. you should also plug it in the scanner at autozone and see what it tells you. if it tells you its ur o2 sensor its a common problem in maximas, mine tells me its bad even thou i just changed it. if your plugs dont fix the problem then you can try your maf sensor if you havent changed it. my maxima was doing like a lil missin when cold before i changed my maf again. it finally craped out on me last week. if you havent put an injector cleanner in your tank then you should. try all that and let me know. it could b many things wrong with the car, like a misfuctioning ignition coil. but thats pretty much the easiest and cheapest things you can start with. and make sure your air filter is clean.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It sounds like your throttle body is dirty or your air intake control motor needs cleaning or replacement.

Last edited by 11-YEARS-DEALER-EXP; 12-11-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM

to contribute to above, it could be the thottle body being dirty. however if that was the case the car might not start at all. in any case, it is healthy to clean it every once in a while. you can do so with some thottle body cleaner you can buy at the local auto parts store, just dnt shoot it straight into it once you take the hose off. spray a little and then wipe it with a rag as much as you can. thats how i did on my car.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM

wheres the cabin filter on a 02 max
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 PM

OBD Error Codes

Hey Guys, Im new to the forums and I also just purchased my 03 Maxima SE, with about 81k on the engine.
Im having about 6 code issues and I would like to know what they are...they are the following.
P0113
P0172
P0171
P0175
P0113(shows up twice)
P0171(shows up twice)

If someone can tell me what these errors are, I have a general description from my OBD II reader but have no clue what the parts are and what to replace.

Some1 please please please help. I know my maxima is Deff. not preforming like it should be

thanks in advance to all you genius people out there!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM

where can i buy a MAF at a good price for 02 maxima?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:37 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by killer00
where can i buy a MAF at a good price for 02 maxima?
Buy a brand new 5th gen MAF (~$80 shipped from Dave B) and swap over the thermistor.

Search for details.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 PM
gaz
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlight problems!

I noticed that one of my high beams does not work, so I went out and bought two new bulbs, which are the dual light ones. (Both of the low beams work but the right side high beam doesn't) The high beam still does not work, so i switched the bulbs and no luck, switched the relays and still the same thing, checked the fuses in the engine bay and both were fine.

Is there any other fuses/relays I can check out or does anyone have ideas on what the problem could be? It's great that both my low beams work but it would be nice if i had two high beams!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 AM

Subs

Hey guys,
I want to install subs in my car. Where is the best place to drill through the firewall to pass my power wire from the battery?

thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jasjeet
Hey guys,
I want to install subs in my car. Where is the best place to drill through the firewall to pass my power wire from the battery?

thanks
I just routed mine through the existing hole near the power steering hoopla if I can remember correctly. If you do drill a hole though, make sure you install a rubber grommet to protect the cable. I ran mine down the drivers side door sills into the trunk, and the signal cables down the passenger side.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

INCABIN FILTER IS LOCATED BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM

im also looking for what a vias control is. I pulled a code for this p1800
Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM

I unplugged yhe pass airbag behind glove box now i have a light can i reset it or what?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 02maxdd
im also looking for what a vias control is. I pulled a code for this p1800
That code is for the VIAS control solenoid. It's bolted to the front of the UIM, next to the VIAS vacuum canister.

I unplugged yhe pass airbag behind glove box now i have a light can i reset it or what?
Assuming you already plugged it back in, yes you can reset the light.

From search:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...lp-please.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...reviews-2.html

...etc.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM

pmohr thank you, What does the vias do and do I need to replace it. it seems to run fine (its my wifes car, so I dont drive to often) its gettin 20 mpg in town and seems good. I just have to get it inspected.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
No more Maximas...

pmohr thank you, What does the vias do and do I need to replace it. it seems to run fine (its my wifes car, so I dont drive to often) its gettin 20 mpg in town and seems good. I just have to get it inspected.

The VIAS essentially acts like a variable intake, better overall power.

Did you do anything before getting this code? Happen to turn the key on with it unplugged?

First I'd clear the codes and see if it comes back, but you may not want to do that as you'd have to let the emissions readiness monitors reset.

Some diagnostics you can follow:
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm sorry if this isn't the right route to go about asking a question here, it's my first post and I've fished all around the site looking for an answer to my question and thus far to no avail. I would like to put 2000-2001 SE smoked tails on my 2002 SE to replace the orange/clear/silver stock ones. Will I run into any problems at all, or is it an exact match?

Thanks for your time!

2002 SE 6 Spd. black on grey.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silverstone
I'm sorry if this isn't the right route to go about asking a question here, it's my first post and I've fished all around the site looking for an answer to my question and thus far to no avail. I would like to put 2000-2001 SE smoked tails on my 2002 SE to replace the orange/clear/silver stock ones. Will I run into any problems at all, or is it an exact match?

Thanks for your time!

2002 SE 6 Spd. black on grey.
No problems.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Hey Guys, Im new to the forums and I also just purchased my 03 Maxima SE, with about 81k on the engine.
Im having about 6 code issues and I would like to know what they are...they are the following.
P0113
P0172
P0171
P0175
P0113(shows up twice)
P0171(shows up twice)

If someone can tell me what these errors are, I have a general description from my OBD II reader but have no clue what the parts are and what to replace.

Some1 please please please help. I know my maxima is Deff. not preforming like it should be

thanks in advance to all you genius people out there!

anyone?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:03 PM

^^search first.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread