5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i own a 00 gle , nd want to do the 03 front end swap . how much will it run for ?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trantice
This has probably been asked and answered, but I can't seem to find the best search parameters. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a Nissan repair place in Nassau or Suffolk county, Long Island?

I did find someone say that Westbury Nissan was good, but that was a thread that was 8 years old.
444 Jerusalem Avenue
Uniondale, NY 11553-2508
(516) 505-7800

The owner's name is Harjit, and he is the preferred technician of many locals, myself included. From 3.5 swaps, transmission swaps, or even simple oil changes, he does it all. Join nycmaximas.org and read all of these reviews:
http://nycmaximas.org/showthread.php...ight=king+bear
http://nycmaximas.org/showthread.php...ghlight=harjit
http://nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=40788
Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM

My motor leans back when i put it into drive, and i get a jerk when pushing it. Am i having a motor mount issue?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kidnasty
My motor leans back when i put it into drive, and i get a jerk when pushing it. Am i having a motor mount issue?
yes
Old 12-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

6th gen

would you start thread like this for 6th gen , I have an 06 with heater blower problems

thanks in advance
Allan
Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Suspension Differences

Just bought a 2002 GLE. Like the car thus far although I am going to have to change the blower motor now ($50 on Ebay though so not that bad).

Anyway.... One thing I don't like about this car is the ultra spongy suspension. On the highway at 80 it bounces all over the place if I hit any dips or bumps, it's almost scary. I think the shocks are sort of new, so it obviously is just how this car comes from the factory.

In the past I've had the Eibach Pro-Kit on a car, but I found it to be way too harsh. This is a family car not my toy so I have to keep things reasonable. What is the SE stock suspension like? I'm assuming it's a lot better than the GLE or am I wrong. I want a firm ride a-la VW or Audi, but I don't want to be filled with terror every time I see a small pot hole. Any advice?

Disclaimer - Search after search was conducted before placing this post - I spent 24 consecutive hours scouring other posts, I then climbed a mountain to speak to a wise man and finally read 12 factory service manuals before giving up and falling upon the mercy of this board. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maxident
Just bought a 2002 GLE. Like the car thus far although I am going to have to change the blower motor now ($50 on Ebay though so not that bad).

Anyway.... One thing I don't like about this car is the ultra spongy suspension. On the highway at 80 it bounces all over the place if I hit any dips or bumps, it's almost scary. I think the shocks are sort of new, so it obviously is just how this car comes from the factory.

In the past I've had the Eibach Pro-Kit on a car, but I found it to be way too harsh. This is a family car not my toy so I have to keep things reasonable. What is the SE stock suspension like? I'm assuming it's a lot better than the GLE or am I wrong. I want a firm ride a-la VW or Audi, but I don't want to be filled with terror every time I see a small pot hole. Any advice?

Disclaimer - Search after search was conducted before placing this post - I spent 24 consecutive hours scouring other posts, I then climbed a mountain to speak to a wise man and finally read 12 factory service manuals before giving up and falling upon the mercy of this board. Thanks.

If you want the best ride and aren't concerned about cost, the general consensus on here is to ditch the typical strut/spring setup and get some Tein SS Coilovers. The cheapest I found them online was about $1160 shipped. They are height adjustable as well.

Also, are you sure your blower motor is bad? I've had sounds coming from mine on 2 separate occasions. I pulled it out and found debris caught in it (leaves one time, and a piece of foam the other!). Just in case you hadn't checked...

Last edited by jowo9; 12-04-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 AM

Custom Enclosure

I saw on here someone built a custom enclosure for the 5th Gen Max. They had all the specifications and everything. I can't find the thread though, can anyone help me or tell me where i can find the specs for building a custom enclosure?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm gonna post a question here cuz i don't know how to do it anywhere else i'm new in this website but this is my story i have a 2002 nissan maxima se i love it but i'm having a problem mainly since i bought it (3 years ago) when my car shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear my rpms go high from 3000 to 4000 or sometimes higher when is cold out idk if is a trany problem or is like any sensor please please if someone had this problem or know something about it please answer my question or email me morales671@msn.com thank u so much

i'm gonna post a question here cuz i don't know how to do it anywhere else i'm new in this website but this is my story i have a 2002 nissan maxima se (automatic) i love it but i'm having a problem mainly since i bought it (3 years ago) when my car shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear my rpms go high from 3000 to 4000 or sometimes higher when is cold out idk if is a trany problem or is like any sensor please please if someone had this problem or know something about it please answer my question or email me morales671@msn.com thank u so much

i'm gonna post a question here cuz i don't know how to do it anywhere else i'm new in this website but this is my story i have a 2002 nissan maxima se i love it but i'm having a problem mainly since i bought it (3 years ago) when my car shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear my rpms go high from 3000 to 4000 or sometimes higher when is cold out idk if is a trany problem or is like any sensor please please if someone had this problem or know something about it please answer my question or email me morales671@msn.com thank u so much

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Credit to SEmy2K2go & phenryiv1:

This thread is for the new members so that they are able to post a question. It can be ANYTHING that is 5th generation related. If we think it is important, we will either answer or make it into its own thread. If not, we will delete it.

This is only for LEGIT 5th Gen questions that may be specific to one user.

This is for noobs only and will be open only as long as we feel like maintaining it. SPAM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

This idea was brought to my attention by phenryiv1 in the I30(35) section

ALL MEMBER RESPONSES MUST BA A QUOTE OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION! New questions, obviously, need not have any quotes.

5th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=36867

Modification and other HOW-Tos (tells you how to do common things done to 5th Gens):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=33563

ECU Fault codes or Check Engine light diagnostics (5th Gen):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=374481

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SEARCH!!!
How do I search? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378748

Even if you are new and have no search privileges, you can read the Stickies (which we are working on to update), use the Google search method, or scan through the forum pages using the Find function on the browser (what I did when I first joined), or any other methods of research you may prefer, prior to just blurting out a question that has probably been asked before.

Please refrain from postwhoring in this thread. Since this thread is meant to help those who still cannot start their own threads, postwhoring just to reach 15 posts is inexcusable.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-08-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 maxima 20th anniversary

i have an 01 max 20th anniversary A/T and was wondering if the tranny was an lsd or non lsd and as a mather of fact i don't even know what that mean haha. also what year tranny could fit. the tranny doesnt engage right away only at around 3500rpm and doesnt go further than second gear. changed the oil and filter and tryed to flush it with the machine and it wouldnt pump the oil around as in the pump could go with the engine running. pretty sure tranny is fried!
P.S. mine is canadian version. not sure if that makes a difference
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by govinz
i have an 01 max 20th anniversary A/T and was wondering if the tranny was an lsd or non lsd and as a mather of fact i don't even know what that mean haha. also what year tranny could fit. the tranny doesnt engage right away only at around 3500rpm and doesnt go further than second gear. changed the oil and filter and tryed to flush it with the machine and it wouldnt pump the oil around as in the pump could go with the engine running. pretty sure tranny is fried!
That should be an LSD transmission.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by govinz
I never knew 20th Anniversary Editions came with a automatic....
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

you could put an automatic as an option on the 20th anniversary
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just bought 2002 Maxima SE

So far, it is a great car. Hardly anything wrong with it considering the age. It is a salvage title, so when I bought the car, only got the valet key. I think the car was equipped with keyless entry, but do you have any idea how to tell for sure? If it has it, I see there are aftermarket ones which I can pick up pretty cheap. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 2001 SE 5speed. I would like to replace the head unit (works when it wants to) I went to crutchfield but it says double din's wont fit, but I see a ton of pics with double dins in 5th gens. any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wierd maxima problems - overheating, engine pulsing

2000 max gle. 174k miles.

I bought the car with many problems, replaced Idle air control motor, throttle body, mass air flow, all 6 ignition modules, water pump, timing chain, heads were decked and valve job, new radiator, new fans, all hoses and both thermostats.

NOW... it still over heats but only if I gun it over 5k rpm,, I can driver for an hour then gun it once and it will start to overheat.
Problem 2. I have cold air with a warm engine at idle and very hot air if I gas it to 2000rpms, and I did check coolant level, its topped off..
Problem 3. In P or N I cannot get to 1700-2700 rpms If I gas it at 1500 it will JUMP quickly to 3k. I cannot get it in-between. Makes it very hard to smog usually causes it to fail at least once. PLEASE HELP!!!
-Mike

Last edited by novamike; 12-06-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxident

I had a focus with a similar problem, my front strut was bolted to a plate that swivel to adjust the camber? maybe and that plate had 3 bolt connecting it to the body. Anyways the center bolt was ground out under the nut from wobbling. Replaced those plates and the problem went away. It came from not tightening the stut bolt 100%

I looked it up it was called a strut mount
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QKYSM5409.html
GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dr jekyll
So far, it is a great car. Hardly anything wrong with it considering the age. It is a salvage title, so when I bought the car, only got the valet key. I think the car was equipped with keyless entry, but do you have any idea how to tell for sure? If it has it, I see there are aftermarket ones which I can pick up pretty cheap. Thanks in advance for any help.
I was under the impression that ALL maximas newer than 98 came with keyless option. I ordered a new keyfob off ebay for $20 and paid a local locksmith $40 to program it to my 2000 gle.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM

I have an 03 se. Does anyone know how to take out the airbags in the steering wheel and dash?? Both are blown, so they need to come out.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by novamike
I was under the impression that ALL maximas newer than 98 came with keyless option. I ordered a new keyfob off ebay for $20 and paid a local locksmith $40 to program it to my 2000 gle.
I also thought that, from 98 on, all maximas came with the keyless option. When I ordered my keyfob, it came with the simple intructions that I followed to program it. I was under the impression they all did.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Horrible Mileage. Help!!!

Im new here and not the best with mechanics tho I do know a little bit. So I've been reading a bit on this website and found allot of poeple having the same issue as me, hribble gas mileage. I am roughly getting about 11-13 miles a gallon driving locally and very rare driving on the highway. Ive tried doing the MAF cleaning but that hasn't helped at all. I am running 93 octane fuel (premium), stock motor, and stock air filter. All tires have 35psi of air, and the car isnt pulling in any direction.

So my question is, HOW CAN I IMPROVE IN MY GAS MILEAGE??????? bc this is really killing me. I gas up $50 a week.

Thanks,
Luis
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by TheProblem
I just bought a 2001 SE 5speed. I would like to replace the head unit (works when it wants to) I went to crutchfield but it says double din's wont fit, but I see a ton of pics with double dins in 5th gens. any suggestions?
Pretty sure you just have to get a GXE dash kit and it'll work...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mrfxho
Im new here and not the best with mechanics tho I do know a little bit. So I've been reading a bit on this website and found allot of poeple having the same issue as me, hribble gas mileage. I am roughly getting about 11-13 miles a gallon driving locally and very rare driving on the highway. Ive tried doing the MAF cleaning but that hasn't helped at all. I am running 93 octane fuel (premium), stock motor, and stock air filter. All tires have 35psi of air, and the car isnt pulling in any direction.

So my question is, HOW CAN I IMPROVE IN MY GAS MILEAGE??????? bc this is really killing me. I gas up $50 a week.

Thanks,
Luis

Would a aftermarket cold air intake help: http://www.advancespeedshop.com/inje...40-p-3046.html

OR

Would a aftermarket exhaust help:
http://www.custommaxima.com/product/...m/Default.aspx

OR

would a short ram intake help:
http://www.custommaxima.com/product/...e/Default.aspx

Thanks,
Luis
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Would a aftermarket cold air intake help: http://www.advancespeedshop.com/inje...40-p-3046.html

OR

OR

Thanks,
Luis
Uhhh wouldnt the intake upgrade decrease mpg? This due to the increased air flow thus resulting in more fuel burned---> Higher HP.

I myself am not getting that great gass milage, but i am getting an O2 sensor code and i think thats is why. Is your max throwing any codes? If not then im not sure.

Since all those things u pointed out checked out, then the next things would be O2 senors, fuel filter (people saw in increase when it was replaced but only by 1-3 mpg)

Any Insight from others???
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best option for replacing catalytic converters.

How you guys doing, Im new to your forum obviously, so Hopeefully im posting correctly.

Anyways Im fixing my girlfriends 2001 Maxima SE and its throwing a PO420 code and it failed CA smog. The Shop said it needs catalytic converters and I priced them and about fell over when i heard the price for each cat. Well Im extremely mechanical and can fabricate almost anything, but I dont want to spend a ton of time or money on this project because she needs her car back.

Unfortunatly she has been driving the car for about three months with this code and I did a search and saw the thread about the precats failing and sending the substrate material back into the motor, and now im very concerned she might destroy her motor.

Niether I or her have enough money to buy 1500 dollars in cats.

Basically what is the cheapest option to fix this problem? I looked into the Cattman exhaust and it seems like abetter option then replacing the factory stuff.

What do you guys think is the best option?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Well im not new to the forum but i just bought an 02 6spd. I have searched with no definitive answer. Will the aftermarket headers and Y pipe from custommaxima.com fit on the 02? I have read where people use the 3.0 headers to eliminate the precats in the headers on the 3.5. I bought the setup for my 97. The ypipe is in my 97 but never got around to the headers. So can i just bolt those on my 02?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxima 21
Well im not new to the forum but i just bought an 02 6spd. I have searched with no definitive answer. Will the aftermarket headers and Y pipe from custommaxima.com fit on the 02? I have read where people use the 3.0 headers to eliminate the precats in the headers on the 3.5. I bought the setup for my 97. The ypipe is in my 97 but never got around to the headers. So can i just bolt those on my 02?
Stay away from custom maxima. There are numerous members on here still waiting for their crap they bought with no answers from the company.

Save up your money and get Cattman or get some OBX.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Stay away from custom maxima. There are numerous members on here still waiting for their crap they bought with no answers from the company.

Save up your money and get Cattman or get some OBX.
I actually ordered everything for my 97 about 6 months ago and got it with a week. I had a good experience with them. What i cant figure out is will the headers and y pipe for the 97 bold onto the 02?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 PM

hesitation and no check engine light?????

hi there,

here it is, 2000 maxima a/t 130000kms, just bought it a month ago. so when i first start my car in the morning its about 0 degrees ( im from canader eh) my car hesitates to start unless i press on the accel. a few times, it will start kinda sluggish for like 2seconds and then it runs fine. now if i sit while i wait for it to warm up and slowly rev the car it kinda sticks around 1700rpm and wiggles abit, but if i push the peddle a little bit more it pushes through and continues to rev higher, if i take off while its cold first gear feels almost like its skipping a bit once it warms up it gone, but i do notice that same kinda sluggish feeling when its warmed up very slightly when i push the peddle a 1/8th of the way when cruising in any gear. would it be a tps, maf, dirty tb? i have no code to read and i dont want to start replacing things the needent be. like what would cause it to act up only really when its cold then almst dissapear when the motor is at operating temp? tps? because it kinda seems like is at a certain throttle position (1/8th of a way) but would that make it have trouble starting? is it my maf wouldnt that cause it to have trouble starting because its running lean? is it a dirty throttle body? im so stumped please help???
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM

hesitation and no check engine light?????

hi there,

here it is, 2000 maxima a/t 130000kms, just bought it a month ago. so when i first start my car in the morning its about 0 degrees ( im from canader eh) my car hesitates to start unless i press on the accel. a few times, it will start kinda sluggish for like 2seconds and then it runs fine. now if i sit while i wait for it to warm up and slowly rev the car it kinda sticks around 1700rpm and wiggles abit, but if i push the peddle a little bit more it pushes through and continues to rev higher, if i take off while its cold first gear feels almost like its skipping a bit once it warms up it gone, but i do notice that same kinda sluggish feeling when its warmed up very slightly when i push the peddle a 1/8th of the way when cruising in any gear. would it be a tps, maf, dirty tb? i have no code to read and i dont want to start replacing things the needent be. like what would cause it to act up only really when its cold then almst dissapear when the motor is at operating temp? tps? because it kinda seems like is at a certain throttle position (1/8th of a way) but would that make it have trouble starting? is it my maf wouldnt that cause it to have trouble starting because its running lean? is it a dirty throttle body? im so stumped please help???
Old 12-08-2010, 04:30 AM

HEY FELLAS, I HAVE A 2001 AUTOMATIC.THE TRANNY HAS A NASTY JERK FROM FIRST TO SECOND AT LOW SPEEDS,IF YOU PUNCH IT JERK DOESN'T HAPPEN AND AT HIGH SPEEDS SHIFTS ARE SMOOTH. SOMEONE PLEASE DIAGNOSE.....
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by getflushed
hi there,

I'm having almost the exact same problem. I am almost certain that it is not the IACV. I've tested my IACV with an ohmmeter and it registers at 22 ohms. When my car starts in this freezing weather, it immediately stalls. Then I have to let the car warm up, while keeping the idle at 1500rpms because it starts to buck at around 1000 rpms. Has anyone had any problems like this and solved it?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Do you also have skipping if you take off when its cold? And slowly goes away when warm? What would cause it to be so pronounced when cold its almost like its running lean because if I turn the ign on and let it prime then hold the gas peddle down for a few seconds it will start fine no matter what but will still skip when I drive it , if I press the accelerator I don't notice it its only when I gently push the peddle I notice it lots when its cold, when its warm and I'm crusing at 40 kms and gently push the peddle to 1/8 I can very slightly feel it, I'm sure its because its running lean but not 100 percent I'm really hoping its just a dirty maf I'm going to clean it at noon and my throttle body tonight ill let you know if anything changes.
Originally Posted by edgystud3nt
I'm having almost the exact same problem. I am almost certain that it is not the IACV. I've tested my IACV with an ohmmeter and it registers at 22 ohms. When my car starts in this freezing weather, it immediately stalls. Then I have to let the car warm up, while keeping the idle at 1500rpms because it starts to buck at around 1000 rpms. Has anyone had any problems like this and solved it?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Its not the maf I cleaned it good its still doing it any other suggestions?
Do you also have skipping if you take off when its cold? And slowly goes away when warm? What would cause it to be so pronounced when cold its almost like its running lean because if I turn the ign on and let it prime then hold the gas peddle down for a few seconds it will start fine no matter what but will still skip when I drive it , if I press the accelerator I don't notice it its only when I gently push the peddle I notice it lots when its cold, when its warm and I'm crusing at 40 kms and gently push the peddle to 1/8 I can very slightly feel it, I'm sure its because its running lean but not 100 percent I'm really hoping its just a dirty maf I'm going to clean it at noon and my throttle body tonight ill let you know if anything changes.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by book
HEY FELLAS, I HAVE A 2001 AUTOMATIC.THE TRANNY HAS A NASTY JERK FROM FIRST TO SECOND AT LOW SPEEDS,IF YOU PUNCH IT JERK DOESN'T HAPPEN AND AT HIGH SPEEDS SHIFTS ARE SMOOTH. SOMEONE PLEASE DIAGNOSE.....
Did you buy it used? Sounds like you have a valvebody mod. It is jerking and not slipping right?

You mean engine misfiring? Or transmission slipping/pausing?

Originally Posted by edgystud3nt
Sounds like weak spark, fuel delivery issue, or a vacuum leak. How old are your spark plugs? Do you have updated coil packs? Have you ever changed your fuel filter assembly?

You probably want to check for any vacuum leaks as well. It may be MAF related (going out, but not dead), however I would check the other things first.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Hi there, my plugs are brand new! Coils I'm not to sure about but I can tell its not a miss, itslie a sticky spot. Its definitely a air fuel problem I believe. I have gone out today a drove frove frove to figure this out, it only does it when its cold, I was wrong about it when driving as well only when its cold as soon as its warm its gone, the fuel filter I don't see it being that because once warm its gone I really think its a sensor of some kind. But what sensor would only act up when its cold, a vaccum leak could be possible, my lines are good. But I hear sometimes with the plastic intakes they warp in the cold and create a leak and once they warm up they expand and seal the leak like I said I haven't owed the car for long enough to know how it starts in the warm, the car is really well maintained at a nissan dealership but I won't take it to a shop till I get an engine light so I'm not paying crazy money for them to spend days figuring it out hahaha it would make sence that its lean because in the cold if I prime the motor and step on the gas and release it. It starts up pretty good. If it was to rich that would flood it wouldn't it???
Originally Posted by foodmanry
Sounds like weak spark, fuel delivery issue, or a vacuum leak. How old are your spark plugs? Do you have updated coil packs? Have you ever changed your fuel filter assembly?

You probably want to check for any vacuum leaks as well. It may be MAF related (going out, but not dead), however I would check the other things first.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Its definitely not in the tranny like I said, it happens when I start the car and leave it in park, I can tap the gas while in park and it does it to.
Originally Posted by foodmanry
You mean engine misfiring? Or transmission slipping/pausing?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks,
Luis

OR

OR

Thanks,
Luis
Anyone?!?!?!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM

how come it would still not allow me to start my own thred. I already have 17 post with this and its telling me this

mrfxho, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation
Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM

how come it would still not allow me to start my own thred. I already have 17 post with this and its telling me this

mrfxho, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation
I am pretty sure that a Mod has to okay your posts count.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread