5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by LongoTE
im getting approx 14mpg, I think i can hear a slight, very faint, knocking when its idling but im not sure if its really knocking or just the sound of the engine. thinking o2's? This is city driving. purposely keeping under 2k whenever possible. MPG reading on dash is also at 14 and i know how everyone says they are 2-3 miles optimistic.

121k miles, previous owner had replaced belt and tensioner but didnt mention any sensors

WOW I have never gotten under 22mpg no matter where I have driven
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by shaks
first you should try out the dimmer adjustment ****/wheel - it's on the left hand side on the dash board, behind steering wheel. Just to check one thing - are the lights on radio(if you have stock one) are up? same question if you have a digital climate control?

Next step will be to check fuses under the hood - next to your airbox, driver's side (not sure, but i guess it was third row for me) and fuses under the dashboard (to the left and underneath the steering wheel).
thanks bro im going 2 try it out i no the dimmer is not working cause it doesnt do anything as far as the fuses i dont even no where 2 start i dont hav a stock radio i hav a tv radio so idk if that could be the problem and yea my climate control lights are on also!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM

I have a 02 max that just rolled over 151k and ever since i bought it when traveling over bumps or non smooth surfaces the right front end makes a clunking noise. It has the stock suspension and struts so im assuming the struts need replacing but not sure what else.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

Could be a number of things - motor mounts, strut mounts, sway bar links. If you're hearing a clunk it's not likely to be your struts themselves.

Though you are right, at 151k your struts could probably use a replacement.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 02AutoMax
I have a 02 max that just rolled over 151k and ever since i bought it when traveling over bumps or non smooth surfaces the right front end makes a clunking noise. It has the stock suspension and struts so im assuming the struts need replacing but not sure what else.
Originally Posted by vastmax
Front end noise?
Check these in this order...
Stabilizer link, Sway bar bushing, Strut mount, Strut, Tie rod/ball joint (based on 3-9 or 6-12 tests), Motor Mounts

If those dont solve your problem, it'll more than likely be axles, wheel bearings, or something bigger.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ I was too lazy to go find the post, so I just retyped it from memory
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
^^ I was too lazy to go find the post, so I just retyped it from memory
Yeah, I just recently bought some stuff from him so i just came from his FS thread and that was in his sig. ha!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 01 Maxima Se and have over 210k miles. The car needs a couple things done to it before its at 100 percent. She runs pretty smooth BUUUUTTT I have been debating on whether I should have the engine rebuilt OR engine swap it/ or should I just save my money and buy an 02/03 model. I plan to mod the car and possibly supercharge it in the future
Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

03 auto with 121k miles. 13 mpg. (calculated and rounded up!) Am I missing something here? And that 13mpg was driving it like a grandma to try and get good numbers. Dash reads 14mpg and if I reset the mpg it will say 20 but drop back to 12 within a mile and then creep back up to 14. Should I plan my assault or just go to town with new parts?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by gabriellinkx
I have a 01 Maxima Se and have over 210k miles. The car needs a couple things done to it before its at 100 percent. She runs pretty smooth BUUUUTTT I have been debating on whether I should have the engine rebuilt OR engine swap it/ or should I just save my money and buy an 02/03 model. I plan to mod the car and possibly supercharge it in the future
Your engine is fine. My 16 year old VQ30 has 242k miles on it and still runs strong as ever.

Spend some time here and do some research and then revisit your plans.

Originally Posted by LongoTE
03 auto with 121k miles. 13 mpg. (calculated and rounded up!) Am I missing something here? And that 13mpg was driving it like a grandma to try and get good numbers. Dash reads 14mpg and if I reset the mpg it will say 20 but drop back to 12 within a mile and then creep back up to 14. Should I plan my assault or just go to town with new parts?
Got any SES lights? If so, find out what the codes are and post them.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM

RE: Post 12653 Catalytic Converter_MAF sensor

Didn't get a lot of feedback on my original post. These two codes are what they are basing their diagnosis on: P0420 Catalyst Malfunction) & P1102 (MAF Sensor). Does the P0420 code refer to the entire cat converter and two "pre" converters???

From what I am reading, it looks like the MAF sensor may be done for even with a good cleaning, which I did.

What I'm not sure about is the catalytic converter. I have one shop that can put in a universal cat converter for 140.00. That sounds good. Even was advised to try that first, then I'd be able to see if either of the other pre-converters are a problem. I was told at another shop that all three converters would be around $1100.00, installed. That might explain why the dealer quoted so high. Maybe they just do the entire cat assembly with all 3 converters?

Just trying to get some feedback from someone who has had to deal with the catalytic converter issue, and the MAF also.

The most promising report was from my tow truck driver that used to own a muffler shop with his dad. He said if that if the cat converter is repaired, make sure my O2 sensors are good and I can probably get another 100k out of my 191k Maxima....

Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mahdlokg
Didn't get a lot of feedback on my original post. These two codes are what they are basing their diagnosis on: P0420 Catalyst Malfunction) & P1102 (MAF Sensor). Does the P0420 code refer to the entire cat converter and two "pre" converters???

From what I am reading, it looks like the MAF sensor may be done for even with a good cleaning, which I did.

What I'm not sure about is the catalytic converter. I have one shop that can put in a universal cat converter for 140.00. That sounds good. Even was advised to try that first, then I'd be able to see if either of the other pre-converters are a problem. I was told at another shop that all three converters would be around $1100.00, installed. That might explain why the dealer quoted so high. Maybe they just do the entire cat assembly with all 3 converters?

Just trying to get some feedback from someone who has had to deal with the catalytic converter issue, and the MAF also.

The most promising report was from my tow truck driver that used to own a muffler shop with his dad. He said if that if the cat converter is repaired, make sure my O2 sensors are good and I can probably get another 100k out of my 191k Maxima....

Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks.
That code does not refer to the main cat under the car. There is no monitoring device, e.g. sensor for it. That code is a pre-cat code which can be caused by a number of items, but considering the age of these cars presently, I'm assuming it's your pre-cat that has failed. Search for that code on here and it will tell you which bank it refers to.

Check the following threads for cheaper than OEM replacements and post back if you need any help.

Also, regarding the MAF, that too is probably done, get a hold of Dave Burnette (search on here for his contact info). he can sell you one for 95-100$.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hlight=eastern
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hlight=eastern
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ght=Old+vs+new
Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
No SES light. Only ever got one light for park/neutral position sensor after my battery died so i reset the code and it never came back and I never had any problems with the selector. I haven't thought about any "ghost codes" so i may go check for them at autozone.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Your engine is fine. My 16 year old VQ30 has 242k miles on it and still runs strong as ever.

Spend some time here and do some research and then revisit your plans.

Thanks, but I thought adding power to high mileage cars was a bad idea, especially one so high??
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will the heads off a VQ30DD(FR-layout, such as in the V35 Skyline) bolt up to the block of a VQ30DE(FF-layout, such as the A33)?

I understand the answer to this might be complex, I just want to know that it isn't impossible.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by gabriellinkx
Thanks, but I thought adding power to high mileage cars was a bad idea, especially one so high??
If you're going to boost more than 8 PSI, then it might be a good idea.

But if not, you're fine. What are your plans?

Originally Posted by jrich7720
Will the heads off a VQ30DD(FR-layout, such as in the V35 Skyline) bolt up to the block of a VQ30DE(FF-layout, such as the A33)?

I understand the answer to this might be complex, I just want to know that it isn't impossible.

Thanks!
You may have better luck in here: http://forums.maxima.org/supercharged-turbocharged-38/ or here: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat.../?daysprune=-1.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

transmission question

I am the second owner of a 2000 SE auto with 48k. When driving first thing in the morning, the transmission does not shift into overdrive until it"s somewhat warmed up.After it has reached normal operating temp i notice it stay's in second gear to long before shifting to third. All shifts are appropriately firm. According to the service records provided with the car, it had a trans service at 37k miles. The fluid level is spot on. The fluid very clean and smells normal.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM

MAF Sensor conversion '01 to '02

I was able to contact DAVEB and talked with him about the MAF sensor. What I'm looking for now is the thread or posts that might have some pictures as to what it would take take to modify the sensor for my '02. Any help appreciated.

Also read a post or two about the older sensor lowering mileage. Is this possibly without doing the modification or is that a side effect of not using an exact replacement part?

Thanks.

Last edited by mahdlokg; 03-17-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mahdlokg
I was able to contact DAVEB and talked with him about the MAF sensor. What I'm looking for now is the thread or posts that might have some pictures as to what it would take take to modify the sensor for my '02. Any help appreciated.

Also read a post or two about the older sensor lowering mileage. Is this possibly without doing the modification or is that a side effect of not using an exact replacement part?

Thanks.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hlight=2k1+MAF
Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM
L36

It seems that the boot that is right under the power steering pump has a tiny hole and slowly is spewing the grease inside of it all over my car guts.

My question is; Do i need to remove the entire CV Joint Axle, or can i possibly open up the boot and dissemble the joint up with ease that would not require me to remove the entire CV joint axle?
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Suspension Yoda

They make boot repair kits that you can use for this purpose (boot is ripped but joint is still good). What what I remember they're fairly straightforward.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
L36

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
They make boot repair kits that you can use for this purpose (boot is ripped but joint is still good). What what I remember they're fairly straightforward.
I have the kit, but how would i put the boot on, there are 3 boots on the passengers side, one at the trans, under the power steering pump and one by the tire.

Question is, how can i get the the middle boot without taking out the whole CV axle joint from the trans.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Suspension Yoda

My fault, somehow I assumed you had purchased a split boot kit.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to remove the axle
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by L36
It seems that the boot that is right under the power steering pump has a tiny hole and slowly is spewing the grease inside of it all over my car guts.

My question is; Do i need to remove the entire CV Joint Axle, or can i possibly open up the boot and dissemble the joint up with ease that would not require me to remove the entire CV joint axle?
Thanks.
I've never been a fan of those boot kits. The passenger side CV joint is actually fairly easy to replace. Took me about 10 mins after I got the car lifted and tire off.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 PM
L36

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
I've never been a fan of those boot kits. The passenger side CV joint is actually fairly easy to replace. Took me about 10 mins after I got the car lifted and tire off.
Yeh, im sure the one near the tire is quick and painless, but i have the one next to it, in between the transmission and rightmost passenger boot, which will be a pain.

Looks like il have to collect that tranny fluid up, since Ive just recently replaced the fluid in there.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by L36
Yeh, im sure the one near the tire is quick and painless, but i have the one next to it, in between the transmission and rightmost passenger boot, which will be a pain.

Looks like il have to collect that tranny fluid up, since Ive just recently replaced the fluid in there.
Tranny fluid will not leak when replacing cv on our year. I changed mine about 3 weeks before my car was totaled and not one drop leaked.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
L36

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Tranny fluid will not leak when replacing cv on our year. I changed mine about 3 weeks before my car was totaled and not one drop leaked.
Oh, i though once i would take out the CV axle out of the tranny, fluid would leak out of it.

Well if not, guess my job will be easier, since the grease in that boot is really getting my rear engine guts dirty. The joint is still good since there are no creaks or weird knocking sounds when i turn the wheel in further most direction while moving slowly.
img809.imageshack.us/img809/7329/cimg1447m.jpg

Couple of other questions:
Sometimes if im going at 5mph, try to engage 1st gear, its like it wont let me, i can force it in, but i have to use force... If i engage second gear, it goes in like butter, no issues. Something wrong with syncros?

Sometimes, even though the clutch is pushed out all the way, it wont let me engage reverse, id have to repress the clutch again for it to engage. The gear engages smoothing no problem, normal?

Also, sometimes when i engage first gear from a dead stop, or moving very slowly <5mph, sometimes i hear like a click noise when i engage, no grinds or anything like that. Normal?

Last edited by L36; 03-17-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Ugh....I thought you had an automatic. I'm not sure about the tranny fluid leak now. Someone with a manual will have to chime in.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM

I changed out my cv on th epassanger side b/c I cut the boot whenI replaced my struts. (I know right) It only took a few mins to do. Very easy. Though I have an auto tranny. Dont know if there is much difference
Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help please!

Hi I need help with a speedometer problem on my 2000 Maxima SE A/T. I've done as much research as i could but I'm close to giving up on the problem. I'll try to be as detailed as possible so please bear with me.
3 or so months ago I bought the car from an independent shop, the car was listed as having 3 electrical problems including the speedometer not working. I fixed the other 2 but the speedometer is something that has been very hard for me to diagnose. I found out my car was supposed to have a speed sensor on the transmission besides the revolution sensor, it is indicated the transmission had been replaced for one of a 2001 year car, so I bought the speed sensor and the wiring harness for the sensor at a dealer, after that i tested the speed around the neighborhood and it seemed to be working as opposed to before. I was WRONG... as soon as I took the car into the highway I noticed that once reached around 55 mph the speedometer needle would start dropping the faster I went, then when I reduced my speed it would go back up to the speed where it started dropping and down again, working normally. then it ocurred to me that MAYBE the instrument cluster had also been replaced for a newer one since it only had 90k miles on it, so I went on ebay and got one that I thought would be the right fit for my car. the description seemed to be right, plus it had over 200k miles. Once it arrived I switched them over and NOTHING I had the exact same problem!
so I decide, that possibly I had a defective speed sensor to begin with, so I went and bought another one from Autozone just to test the theory, guess what?... same problem, I've read as many wiring diagrams as I could get off AllData and Mitchel on demand, but i feel I have reached a dead end for I have tested almost every component part of the speedometer, (excluding ECM, TCM) next I connected a Genisys Evo(scan tool) to the car, and drove around while checking the following inputs: all 4 wheel speed sensors, Vehicle Speed sensor, Engine Speed, Transmission Gear, TPS voltage and %. all looked normal as they were reading around the same speed BUT I noticed something weird one of the data lines reading "Vehicle Speed Engine read my speed correctly at times for example 72 mph then suddenly would drop to 23 mph. now keep in mind this wasn't the signal coming from the transmission's Vehicle Speed Sensor for this one was labeled "Vehicle Speed Transmission" and its reading was always at a steady speed.
So that is my dilemma, What could I be missing? Is it possible the cluster I bought was also wrong? if so how do I identify if the cluster is the exact model I need for my car? and Where does the reading for vehicle speed Engine signal come from? I need a very detailed explanation to how the reading on the cluster is calculated.
P.S i did some basic resistance testing of some of the wiring from from the VSS to the cluster and to the TCM, but it seems to be ok, is there a better way of testing the wiring?
Any help is apeciated

Erick
Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by enm86
Hi I need help with a speedometer problem on my 2000 Maxima SE A/T. I've done as much research as i could but I'm close to giving up on the problem. I'll try to be as detailed as possible so please bear with me.
3 or so months ago I bought the car from an independent shop, the car was listed as having 3 electrical problems including the speedometer not working. I fixed the other 2 but the speedometer is something that has been very hard for me to diagnose. I found out my car was supposed to have a speed sensor on the transmission besides the revolution sensor, it is indicated the transmission had been replaced for one of a 2001 year car, so I bought the speed sensor and the wiring harness for the sensor at a dealer, after that i tested the speed around the neighborhood and it seemed to be working as opposed to before. I was WRONG... as soon as I took the car into the highway I noticed that once reached around 55 mph the speedometer needle would start dropping the faster I went, then when I reduced my speed it would go back up to the speed where it started dropping and down again, working normally. then it ocurred to me that MAYBE the instrument cluster had also been replaced for a newer one since it only had 90k miles on it, so I went on ebay and got one that I thought would be the right fit for my car. the description seemed to be right, plus it had over 200k miles. Once it arrived I switched them over and NOTHING I had the exact same problem!
so I decide, that possibly I had a defective speed sensor to begin with, so I went and bought another one from Autozone just to test the theory, guess what?... same problem, I've read as many wiring diagrams as I could get off AllData and Mitchel on demand, but i feel I have reached a dead end for I have tested almost every component part of the speedometer, (excluding ECM, TCM) next I connected a Genisys Evo(scan tool) to the car, and drove around while checking the following inputs: all 4 wheel speed sensors, Vehicle Speed sensor, Engine Speed, Transmission Gear, TPS voltage and %. all looked normal as they were reading around the same speed BUT I noticed something weird one of the data lines reading "Vehicle Speed Engine read my speed correctly at times for example 72 mph then suddenly would drop to 23 mph. now keep in mind this wasn't the signal coming from the transmission's Vehicle Speed Sensor for this one was labeled "Vehicle Speed Transmission" and its reading was always at a steady speed.
So that is my dilemma, What could I be missing? Is it possible the cluster I bought was also wrong? if so how do I identify if the cluster is the exact model I need for my car? and Where does the reading for vehicle speed Engine signal come from? I need a very detailed explanation to how the reading on the cluster is calculated.
P.S i did some basic resistance testing of some of the wiring from from the VSS to the cluster and to the TCM, but it seems to be ok, is there a better way of testing the wiring?
Any help is apeciated

Erick
Erick,

Please download the service manual. I have a link to them in my sig. There will be a section dealing with what you are looking for. I'm at work so I can't dig into it.

The manual should also tell you how much resistance, voltage, etc you should be seeing at certain speeds.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here - wondering if I should just buy touch-up paint at dealer or at some of the 3rd parties i've seen recommended here.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
L36

Also im having a weird issue...
Sometimes, if the engine has been recently shut off (3 mins), if i would start it again my engine would start with a slight knock and hesitate at 500 rpm or so, giving it some gas would solve the problem. Knock only occurs when the engine is at point of starting, it goes away right away after the engine has started completely.

Spark plugs or something else?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I'm Noob

I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) 03 Maxima SE MT 71k miles w HLSD
My first Nissan, and my first Maxima!!! this Forum had a lot to do with me buying her

My buddy ran into someone who want's to trade her wheels and brakes, and go back to stock.

The rims look like Tenzo R GT-05's 18's and the front caliper's are AP Racing
I'm not too excited about the rims, more interested in the Caliper's!
They are coming off an 03 Altima.
With the AP Racing calipers, can I run any aftermarket 13' Rotors
(like the Brembo's in the Groupbuy)

Here's a pic, so what u guys think? Should I trade, or pass???

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Another noob here...just got my '03 GLE (59k 1-owner miles) a couple of weeks ago. Looking for suggestions on 1) low-cost upgrades to handling (headed to the alignment shop soon 'cuz it is REALLY sensitive to road grade/crown - suspect excessive toe-out) and 2) most effective way to quiet the interior (exhaust drone @ ~2500 RPM). From the corrosion on the exhaust tips that piece doesn't look original so I'm wondering if it's not contributing to the noise.

Also, a question that probably should go in the "audio" conversation here in the forum: what the h*ll do we do to add SAT/iPOD to the factory Bose 6CD changer now that the PAC AAI-NIS2 supply has dried up? Is the Peripheral PXNI 03-06 Nissan Aux Audio Interface any good? Other options? My factory radio - unlike many others according to the posts I've read - still works and sounds great so I don't want to spend the $$$ to replace it right now.

Thanks and it's great to be a 5.5 owner (as a former 6.5 owner who never did much with that car but drive it)!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My question is concerning headlights. I have a 2000 maxima and my headlights are really starting to get cloudy/hazy. I am looking to replace these and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
I also was to upgrade to HID's.
I was looking at the Anzo Halo Projector headlights http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...A1R121111.html but i wasn't sure if these were garbage or not. Could anyone help?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Barely Want to Drive it

Edit: I guess maximas dont like being held under 2kRPM. MPG reading staying above 20 after some redline treatment but still knocking and its actually gotten a little worse. Ill put some premium gas in it next time to see if that fixes that. I feel like such a noob but i guees thats what this thread is here for.

I guess ill just keep the rest of this post here in case anybody has suggestions.

When i first started the engine today when was looking for problems, I could hear a little sound as if air was leaking. the sound was coming from up around where the intake manifold is. The sound remains until the engine is fully warmed up (temp goes halfway) and then sounds like it finally pops the seal shut

Sitting in my driveway my engine sounds more like a diesel than a smooth running V6. Seems to knock in warmer weather BUT knocks less when engine is warmed up, BUT knocks more when the engine gets hot from driving oil level is fine

NO CEL, Accelerates smooth. tried to pull any code with pedal dance and got 0000 and the only thing i can see that looks odd is around the intake manifold theres a seal or something sticking out. I doubt thats whats causing it or even an issue

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/1814/0320011137.jpg
http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/5999/0320011138.jpg
This got me concerned but concerns are gone
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/934/0320011143.jpg

Last edited by LongoTE; 03-20-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Hello Everyone!
Ok so later on this week I am going on a long trip with the maxi and have been doing some preventative maintenance (Plugs, pcv, all fluids..) I have read many people that randomly had problems with their maf sensor going out and having problems such as low fuel econ, low acceleration, and low power. Is this something I should be worried about? As far as I know, it has not been touched so far (at 129k)
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thank you sir, I'll look into it
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Have you painted your OEM stock wheels?

Has anyone on this forum painted their stock 17" wheels black? How difficult was it? How did you resurface them if they needed to be resurfaced for fixing curb rash? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread