5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yo pmohr do u have any suggestions for me?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by skins30
i own a 2002 maxima se and im new to the site. i bought it 2 years ago from a dealer and the speakers randomly just stop working for no reason, then come back on. sometimes its just one side. any ideas?
Search, it's been covered a bunch. The TSB (NTB03-017) says to replace the head unit.

Originally Posted by skins30
also in the back left window although all of the windows are closed it still sounds like the back left window is open, as i can hear a faint whistle . how do u fix this?
There's a TSB on this as well (NTB01-029). Also, see http://www.shiftice.com/window_wind_noise.html
Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks man really appreciate it
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM

I just got a another '02 max and this one has a wire near the sub that isnt plugged in. I was wondering what does it for. Here is a picture.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4497/img3740d.jpg
Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by cleanfil
I just got a another '02 max and this one has a wire near the sub that isnt plugged in. I was wondering what does it for. Here is a picture.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4497/img3740d.jpg
Should we assume that it is not the harness for the rear deck mounted stop light?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
Should we assume that it is not the harness for the rear deck mounted stop light?
Indeed, that's what it is.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:46 AM

All right makes sense when I think about it. I was wondering why it had that hatch and my old se didn't. Makes sense when I think about it. Thanks guys.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

00 maxima

Hello everyone, I own a 00 maxima and I have noticed that the antifreezer is returning to the reserve tank on the side of the right fender. the car does not over heats or anything. I dont think that is normal to see antifreezer all the way to the top of the bottle. I dont know if it is the water pump, radiator cap or thermostat. have any one have this problem before?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrubio4602
Hello everyone, I own a 00 maxima and I have noticed that the antifreezer is returning to the reserve tank on the side of the right fender. the car does not over heats or anything. I dont think that is normal to see antifreezer all the way to the top of the bottle. I dont know if it is the water pump, radiator cap or thermostat. have any one have this problem before?
I would replace the radiator cap. If it's bad, it will not allow the radiator to hold pressure. It wouldn't hurt to do a good flush of the system as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Question

Hello ppls. I have a 2001 Maxima and the engine check light is on. I got it checked at amico transmissions and they checked the light with the reader.. it turned up as "catalytic efficiency". So they concluded i need to get it changed.. which with them it would cost me $1400.. i checked another shop, mechanic there says that my car has 2 converters... and around the same to get them changed...
could it just be the O2 sensors?
and if i have to get the converters changed, whats the cheapest way to do it?
do i have time to wait for online ordered parts(roughly 7days)?
any insights are appreciated
Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by carcrazyM01
Hello ppls. I have a 2001 Maxima and the engine check light is on. I got it checked at amico transmissions and they checked the light with the reader.. it turned up as "catalytic efficiency". So they concluded i need to get it changed.. which with them it would cost me $1400.. i checked another shop, mechanic there says that my car has 2 converters... and around the same to get them changed...
could it just be the O2 sensors?
and if i have to get the converters changed, whats the cheapest way to do it?
do i have time to wait for online ordered parts(roughly 7days)?
any insights are appreciated
What code, P0420?

Have you had the ECU reprogramming done/exhaust components replaced per the TSB (NTB00-070B)?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Teddie18
What were the actual codes the mechanic found when he scanned the car? The codes can in most cases tell you specifically what the cause of the problem(s), especially if you're familiar with Maximas. They should be on the repair order you received form the cashier. Example of a code is P1320 or P0400.

Guessing is the last resort not the first thing a mechanic should do especially a Nissan mechanic who should be very familiar with the car. At first glance this situation sounds a little odd. I think one or both of the dealership's service managers or shop foremen should be providing their mechanics a little more help/direction if the mechanic is guessing after one repair attempt.
Hello everyone. I have finally found the problem and repaired the car. As it turned out the throttle body motor relay had corrossion on the female connectors (located between the LH headlamp and the battery). It appears that being located just forward the battery allows corrossive gasses that vent from the battery most likely caused the problem. We found the corrosion on all the connectors in which the blue smaller relays are pluged into, all the other relay connectors in the same box appeared to be ok which suggest the electrical connectors (terminals) used on the smaller blue relays are very conductive to corrosion. I would like to thank every that took time to reply to my problem and I hope the fix for this problem helps others in the future. Thanks Again, Mack
Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

What code, P0420?

Have you had the ECU reprogramming done/exhaust components replaced per the TSB (NTB00-070B)?

i believe P0420 is the code... but it was something along the lines of "catalytic efficiency"...

ECU reprogramming hasn't been done nor have any of the parts been replaced..
Old 06-10-2009, 08:37 PM
No more Maximas...

i believe P0420 is the code... but it was something along the lines of "catalytic efficiency"...

ECU reprogramming hasn't been done nor have any of the parts been replaced..
Well, then (depending on ECU code) you'll need a reprogram, or you might actually need to replace some hard parts.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Well, then (depending on ECU code) you'll need a reprogram, or you might actually need to replace some hard parts.
If it is code P0420, i should get it reprogrammed and see if i get the light again?
then get the parts changed..
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
No more Maximas...

If it is code P0420, i should get it reprogrammed and see if i get the light again?
then get the parts changed..
Have you even read the TSB?

If you have a certain part number ECU, it already has the proper software revision.

All you have to do is use the damn search button, it's been covered a bit...

Here you go, since your search button must be broken - http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=504264

Last edited by pmohr; 06-10-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:37 AM

Rear window issues

Both of the window switches in the rear of my Maxima do not function properly.

When the rear passenger-side switch is depressed, the window only cracks open a few inches. When the rear driver-side switch is depressed, nothing happens. Neither switch can close the windows once they're open (that is, lifting the switches does nothing).

I can control the windows just fine from the driver's seat, but the switches in the rear are having issues. I also noticed that the action of the driver-side rear window is a bit sluggish.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy these issues? Is there some funky issue with the window lock being engaged though it is not turned on? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks VQPOWER. I have another question, on the 00 Maxima I have to replaced the front motor mount, the one installed in the car now is electronic, can I just buy a none electronic one and use it has a replacement?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a p0505 code on my 00 maxima also. I have replaced the IACV and cleared the codes, I had a mechanic take a quick look at it and he used a nice scanner where he was commanding the valve to open and close and we did see a difference. he told me that the new valve i installed was working properly and reacting to the demands made with his commands. I have read a bit and some other maxima owner have replaced the ECU and IAVC without success. I have already replaced the IAVC but I am afraid to replaced ECU and have no success either. have any one seen this problem?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrubio4602
Thanks VQPOWER. I have another question, on the 00 Maxima I have to replaced the front motor mount, the one installed in the car now is electronic, can I just buy a none electronic one and use it has a replacement?
Yes. Take a look at post #56 in this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-mounts-2.html
Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM

What does it take to be able to start a thread on this here forum.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
What does it take to be able to start a thread on this here forum.
You mean besides the 15 post limit, and the knowledge of using a mouse to click the new thread button?

What's your question?

And whatever your question is, have you searched?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternator Question

It looks like I will be replacing the alternator in my 2003 Maxima SE. I have been told the Genuine Nissan alternator is the only one that will last in the Maxima. Is this true? If not, what other brand will last?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 AM

I am already getting tired of posting in here but you guys seem to help a lot. So today I went to clean my engine and I disconnected my battery for about 30min while cleaning electrical parts with some cqc. Well after I plugged the battery back in, I went back into my car to turn on it. Everything works fine but the seats don't automatically adjust. The seats slide back and forth fine but they don't do that automatic thing when you put the key in and back out.

Solution:

Alright took a long time to find it but I found it in a TSB http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-001c.pdf.

All I had to do was put key in ignition and open-close-open drivers door.

Last edited by cleanfil; 06-12-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 AM

Instrument Wiring Diagram

I tried searching the FSM for the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster but didn't have any luck/ couldn't fully understand it. I'm trying to wire 12v LED strips to come on whenever the cluster is illuminated. If its not possible to wire to the cluster to get a 12v current are there any other suggestions nearby the steering wheel? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by jocoo
I tried searching the FSM for the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster but didn't have any luck/ couldn't fully understand it. I'm trying to wire 12v LED strips to come on whenever the cluster is illuminated. If its not possible to wire to the cluster to get a 12v current are there any other suggestions nearby the steering wheel? Thanks.
You could just wire it up to any illumination source.

Check EL-ILL.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You could just wire it up to any illumination source.

Check EL-ILL.
Thanks pmohr, got it to work but they're way to bright for night driving going to have to install a dimmer.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey hey fellas, got a guick question my radiator took a crap on me and i was wondering what was the best one to replace it with. i searched around and the local parts stores want a arm and two legs for one like $270+. I found some on ebay cheap but im kinda questionable about them. thanks for the help
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by liljohn00se
hey hey fellas, got a guick question my radiator took a crap on me and i was wondering what was the best one to replace it with. i searched around and the local parts stores want a arm and two legs for one like $270+. I found some on ebay cheap but im kinda questionable about them. thanks for the help
I don't know about the radiators themselves but my fan shroud's motors failed and I ordered one for about 130$ from ebay. Now on my old SE, the same repair cost $300 at the dealer. The one I ordered from ebay came and it was looking good. The only thing was i had to drill 2 holes in the plastic so i could click the wires in. Other than that, the fans now work perfectly. But like I said I don't know about radiators on ebay but I would expect decent quality.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:39 AM

ok today i turned my car on and i havnt drivien it since friday. it turned on reved up all the way to 3-4k then shut off. i waited a while then turned it on it stayed on while i was in park but he rpms were fluttering like crazy from 1-2k rmp then i realized the ses light was on TCS and SLIP were all on so i was about to go to the autozone up the street to get the code and as soon as iput it in drive the car started shaking and it turnedo ff... i just did a oil change 2-3 weeks ago and my car is on 3/4 a tank of gas what could the problem be? all the repair shops around me are closed so i cant take it to the mechanic till tomorrow or after
Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does any one know how to remove the front 2001 anniversary lip?? i wanna repaint mine and take it off with ease...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey im trying to sell some stuff im new how do i get to be aloud to write out a thread???
Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by eightt16am
hey im trying to sell some stuff im new how do i get to be aloud to write out a thread???
Once you have 15 posts, you can create a thread here:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-2000-2003-42/
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by killa03
does any one know how to remove the front 2001 anniversary lip?? i wanna repaint mine and take it off with ease...
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...my-ae-lip.html
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Okay, I had a p0340 error. After doing some searching and reading, I found what I thought was the correct diagram and tried to remove the sensor.

http://www.boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/2002/ec.pdf - page 25

The sensor ended up being a green harness, attached with 1 bolt to a sensor (or at least what I believe is a sensor).

After removing and replacing - not able to figure out how to remove the harness and didn't want to break it - the car will not start at all. The SES light and oil light are now on (previously it was only the SES like).

The "sensor" was covered in oil - which got me to thinking it may not have been the correct thing to remove.

My code reader won't pull any codes at this time. Gives some message about no faults found or something similar.

So, I ask, did I remove the correct sensor? What color is the harness for the camshaft position sensor?

After all of my research, all I've been able to find is that the problem was covered by a recall, and is still a fairly common problem. It is reportedly a fairly simple repair, yet I have yet to see a write-up, photos, or any other detailed information that would help the "weekend mechanic" do the repair.

I would much rather replace the part myself and save $400, as the dealer is telling me it's a $470+ repair. Unfortunately the Haynes manual does not have any information for 2002+ models on this issue.

I'm fairly confident I can do the repair if I can actually find the correct sensor!

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Synthetic Blend to regular oil

I recently went to one of these quick 30 oil change places and they convinced me to put Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend into my car. I now feel that this oil is a rip off and would like to go back to regular oil. Can I just go back regular oil for my next oil change or is this bad for my 2000 maxima?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by madmax17
I recently went to one of these quick 30 oil change places and they convinced me to put Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend into my car. I now feel that this oil is a rip off and would like to go back to regular oil. Can I just go back regular oil for my next oil change or is this bad for my 2000 maxima?
You can change back anytime you want with no problems.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM

A few questions/issues that I'm having with my recently-acquired Maxima. Sorry for the long post, but any help is much appreciated!

1. REAR WINDOW ISSUE

Both of the window switches in the rear of my Maxima do not function properly.

When the rear passenger-side switch is depressed, the window only cracks open a few inches. When the rear driver-side switch is depressed, nothing happens. Neither switch can close the windows once they're open (that is, lifting the switches does nothing).

I can control the windows just fine from the driver's seat, but the switches in the rear are having issues. I also noticed that the action of the driver-side rear window is a bit sluggish.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy these issues? Is there some funky issue with the window lock being engaged though it is not turned on?

2. TAIL LIGHT REPLACEMENT

I'm swapping out my red GLE tail lights for black SE ones. From my research, it seems that you have to add some extra sealant when installing the new ones. Will any silicone sealant do (like the $6 stuff from Home Depot) or will I have to spring for the $20 Nissan OEM sealant from the dealer?

3. LOWERING SPRINGS WITH STOCK STRUTS

I'm looking for the most economical way to drop my car without making the ride worse (right now, all components are stock). From the shift_ice website, it seems that some springs with modest drops (Eibach, H&R, Tein H-Tech) can be used with the stock struts. From the threads that I've read, the results are varied and there's no definite answer as to whether or not that works.

I can afford the springs right now, but not both springs and struts. Would I be alright using those lowering springs with my stock struts and shocks? That is, can I achieve the drop without compromising the ride too much?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question about 2002 Driver's Seat; Seat Slide Motor Mechanism; have memory seats w/ car. Have a stripped gear on the seat drive mechanism; located drive mechanism from 2002 but it does not have memory seats. Are the parts interchangeable? Don't care about the memory seat feature; have never used it. Does wiring harness match up and is motor and configuration the same. Thanks for your help...
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Hi guys! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 3rd maxima to add to the family (we currently have a 97SE and a 2001 GXE) and was wondering if anyone had carfax on here that wouldnt mind running the VIN? 1N4BA41E54C813433 ..if it checks out clean I'd love to scoop it up. Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited by Burning; 06-18-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread