5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have done not really engine mods to my car. and its a 01 and it runs great the only thing i have come across is that my gas cap sensor might not be at top peak so it says the gas cap is lose and by doing this it says service engine soon! but dont listen to it haha just spin the cap til u here like 5 or 6 clicks then it should turn off eventully
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help with my HIDs

so i thought my right bulb just blew so i went and bought replacements, turns out after putting the mew bulb in and it not turning on, im thinking it might be the ballasts, i have D2S bulbs and to my understanding they require the added wiring harness, my question is has anyone else had this issue and do you think you could be just the wires and the ballast is fine. like maybe a bad relay harness or adapter harness, or should i just i just replace the ballast and the wiring or just the ballast and use the wiring kit i already have. Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gotta08MaxSE
Also, a question that probably should go in the "audio" conversation here in the forum: what the h*ll do we do to add SAT/iPOD to the factory Bose 6CD changer now that the PAC AAI-NIS2 supply has dried up? Is the Peripheral PXNI 03-06 Nissan Aux Audio Interface any good? Other options? My factory radio - unlike many others according to the posts I've read - still works and sounds great so I don't want to spend the $$$ to replace it right now.

Thanks and it's great to be a 5.5 owner (as a former 6.5 owner who never did much with that car but drive it)!
If you are looking for a cheap/good quality way to get an iPod input then do what i did and add an aux to the factory radio. If you can manage to solder a wire on a board i think its the best route without upgrading the whole unit. video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKGKB0vUqvg

I made my aux come out of the little coin tray and love it. Much better quality and looks than a cassette adapter
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

intake thoughts

ultra n00b present and accounted for... i'd like to get ppls thoughts on intake setups...

mine is pretty identical to injen except the downturn behind the radiator to behind bumper (in front of MAF sensor/adaptor) is 3" od aluminum heat wrapped around 6" shorter than the injen with a 3" K&N inverted cone filter.. my butt dyno tells me low end power is slightly increased (maybe +4tq) with good midrange gain (+6tq +7hp) and about identical +4500 hp...

my question is what are ppls thoughts on putting around a 6" extension to a 3-3.5" adapter with a k&n x-stream filter capped on it... what would my effect be? gains/loss in low-mid-high rpms compare to current setup? I know ppl will say 3" intake is a bit small for the 3.5L but I'd prefer the better response and low-end power of my current setup instead of trading for a few hp up top..

I'm rambling but if anyone has time to throw in their $.02 I'd appreciate your opinion and thoughts... before i go and spend another $100 on just the intake setup instead of saving for the nwp spacers...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

power loss/maf replaced

hey guys,
new here, and have owned my 2k max SE for only 6 months now.. its been full of its codes, all of which i cured thru this site! great info! thanks
recently car has been seriously lacking power, and shifting rougher and rougher! I broke down and purchased the MAF sensor and unooked the battery for like 35 minutes. i started it back up, and it went thru a cycle of erratic idle, then stalled. started right back up, and ran like a champ that whole day.. Great pull and smooth accelleration/shifting. then slowly it seems to be getting back to running rough, shifting rough and needing more and more gas pedal to downshift or even have any power while driving.
any ideas? ive searched the whole thread with no direct amswers as of yet.
thanks in advance! Glad to finally be a member.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Web site for customizing

HEY GUYS HAVE ANY ONE USE THIS WEB SITE IT HAS SOME GOOD PRICES IN THEIR OR HERD ANY THING BAD ABOUT IT. http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan_parts.html
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM

What's up everyone, newb here with a new to me 2000 Maxima SE, 5 speed manual transmission. Loving the car so far, and learning stick has been awesome. Sorry I have sort of a dumb question, but do the manual transmissions come with traction control? I know it wasn't standard but it was an option, not sure if it applied to the manual trans though. As far as I know my car is fully loaded - leather, bose, side air bags, the 17" rims, automatic everything, ect. Thanks for any responses, I just got this (my first manual) on friday and it's currently snowing so I'm not sure whether to take it out or not. But it's either that or my RWD, quite a dilemma lol.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Previosly posted/MAF scenario problem cured i think!

So out at work all day today in a township about 30 miles from my home.. Decided it was more gas saving and money saving to just hang out there all day between my 3 appointments in the area from 10am to 7pm... Well after lunch, stop in Best Buy to get a phone charger, come out, start the 2k MAx and it was Sputtering like a B**ch!! Would not run smooth at all! stalled a few times as well.
Canceled my mid day appt and stumbled home to a local Autozone for a code read as the CEL came on. P0306.. Cyl 6 Misfire..
Now this pisses me off because I just replaced all 6 coils and plugs.. BUT luckily, kept my OEM cold I took out. Used one for CYL 6, and immediately cured it. I disconnected the Neg Battery Cable to reset code and CEL. Drove back out to work for my 7pm..
Seems all is powerful and right again, though I can feel a slight stumble still at idle... Maybe another CYL coil going?? they were aftermarket after all... UGH
At least I know it wasnt the MAF sensor i just put in 2 days ago!!
Think changing the coils to OEM would cure this stumble? and still has a slight but noticeable flat spot in power turning corners and accelerating in second gear (AT)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by slick5spd
newb here with a new to me 2000 Maxima SE, 5 speed manual transmission. Loving the car so far, and learning stick has been awesome. Sorry I have sort of a dumb question, but do the manual transmissions come with traction control? I know it wasn't standard but it was an option, not sure if it applied to the manual trans though.
Yes they did. The manual trans is model # RS5F50V for limited slip version. Without VLSD it is RS5F50A. If you are thinking of swapping one in, be aware that one axle is shorter on the limited slip model.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Strange Idle

Recently I've noticed that when comming to a stop right around 1000RPM before completely comming to a stop the engine revs up 2 to 3 times to about 1200-1300RPM. It happens everytime before comming to a stop. I recently changed the plugs to NGK platinums. Any ideas why my idle is strange before comming to a stop?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by wiseguy55
Recently I've noticed that when comming to a stop right around 1000RPM before completely comming to a stop the engine revs up 2 to 3 times to about 1200-1300RPM. It happens everytime before comming to a stop. I recently changed the plugs to NGK platinums. Any ideas why my idle is strange before comming to a stop?
Mine does that, I figure it's normal Or it could be your O2 sensors (primary) SES light? Perhaps a vac leak due to your recently changing pf plugs ...

Originally Posted by slick5spd
What's up everyone, newb here with a new to me 2000 Maxima SE, 5 speed manual transmission. Loving the car so far, and learning stick has been awesome. Sorry I have sort of a dumb question, but do the manual transmissions come with traction control? I know it wasn't standard but it was an option, not sure if it applied to the manual trans though. As far as I know my car is fully loaded - leather, bose, side air bags, the 17" rims, automatic everything, ect. Thanks for any responses, I just got this (my first manual) on friday and it's currently snowing so I'm not sure whether to take it out or not. But it's either that or my RWD, quite a dilemma lol.
No TCS for the MT version.

Originally Posted by jsta22max
hey guys,
new here, and have owned my 2k max SE for only 6 months now.. its been full of its codes, all of which i cured thru this site! great info! thanks
recently car has been seriously lacking power, and shifting rougher and rougher! I broke down and purchased the MAF sensor and unooked the battery for like 35 minutes. i started it back up, and it went thru a cycle of erratic idle, then stalled. started right back up, and ran like a champ that whole day.. Great pull and smooth accelleration/shifting. then slowly it seems to be getting back to running rough, shifting rough and needing more and more gas pedal to downshift or even have any power while driving.
any ideas? ive searched the whole thread with no direct amswers as of yet.
thanks in advance! Glad to finally be a member.
Have you cured the most recent codes that are in there? If not, what codes are showing up currently?

Originally Posted by NewYorkRican
HEY GUYS HAVE ANY ONE USE THIS WEB SITE IT HAS SOME GOOD PRICES IN THEIR OR HERD ANY THING BAD ABOUT IT. http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan_parts.html
that's whazzzuup's car on that homepage for the Maxima on that site.
IMO, looks like cheap crap to me.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-24-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Mine does that, I figure it's normal Or it could be your O2 sensors (primary) SES light?
No lights no anthing, just thought it was strange that it does that.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was thinking bout writing up another write up on installing obx headers/y pipe (more pics and details) but cant post a new thread. Im thinking it is b/c i am a new member?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Hydronnner
I was thinking bout writing up another write up on installing obx headers/y pipe (more pics and details) but cant post a new thread. Im thinking it is b/c i am a new member?
I'm assuming this is the case .

Anyhow, PM your "How To" to me and I'll review it and post it as a thread if I deem it worthy.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'm assuming this is the case .

Anyhow, PM your "How To" to me and I'll review it and post it as a thread if I deem it worthy.
K i Should be finishing up within a day or so, so you shall hear from me.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
L36

Are self-locking nuts with plastic inserts safe to use on tie rod ends?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by L36
Are self-locking nuts with plastic inserts safe to use on tie rod ends?
Yes, nylon lock nuts (typically referred to as nylock nuts) are fine to use there. A lot of aftermarket suspension/steering parts come with them, and several manufacturers use them as OE parts.

Personally, I'd still use a cotter pin even with the nylock nut, but that's my personal preference.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
L36

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yes, nylon lock nuts (typically referred to as nylock nuts) are fine to use there. A lot of aftermarket suspension/steering parts come with them, and several manufacturers use them as OE parts.

Personally, I'd still use a cotter pin even with the nylock nut, but that's my personal preference.
Alright, thanks.
My tie rod ends were all cracked up and oozing out the grease, had to replace em. Got replacements with those nylon like nuts so never seen them and wanted a second opinion.
Handling feels much better now.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM

I have 2 questions! I bought my '01 Maxima GLE in August of 2010 and it had 205 thousand on it, i have since replaced my alternator, a couple o2 sensors, new tire rods, and have done oil changes regularly every 4-5 thousand kms. Now, my car has always been loud when its running .. but yesterday it was making a chattering or whining noise and it just got worse the more i drove! At first my boyfriend thought it was a bearing in on of my belt pulleys. But we are now thinking AC pump, because the bearings are good, and my alternator is brand new. I am wondering how had it is to change your AC pump ? .. One guy at a parts place i called earlier told me we would have to take the motor out to change it, but it doesn't look that way to me! Has anyone else done this, or had this problem ?

My second question is, are is it common for the BOSE subs to kick in and out ? I know its not normal and have checked the wires and all looks good! Anyone else have THIS probelm ?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaxineTheMaxima
I have 2 questions! I bought my '01 Maxima GLE in August of 2010 and it had 205 thousand on it, i have since replaced my alternator, a couple o2 sensors, new tire rods, and have done oil changes regularly every 4-5 thousand kms. Now, my car has always been loud when its running .. but yesterday it was making a chattering or whining noise and it just got worse the more i drove! At first my boyfriend thought it was a bearing in on of my belt pulleys. But we are now thinking AC pump, because the bearings are good, and my alternator is brand new. I am wondering how had it is to change your AC pump ? .. One guy at a parts place i called earlier told me we would have to take the motor out to change it, but it doesn't look that way to me! Has anyone else done this, or had this problem ?

My second question is, are is it common for the BOSE subs to kick in and out ? I know its not normal and have checked the wires and all looks good! Anyone else have THIS probelm ?
Have you inspected the power steering pump? They will often time whine with acceleration.

Bose unit sucks ***** in the Maxima. I'm pretty sure there is a write up in the Stickys about the Bose cutout.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM

19'' G35 Rims How much they weigh

Just wanted to know how much they weigh since some say they are heavy and others say they are like 21lbs or so, others say they are heavier than the 5th Gen Stock Rims 17 or 18s....
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

is there any way to configure a different year nissan keyless entry remote on my 2001? the newer remotes look so much nicer..
Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Heated(?) seats

So the heated seats in the '03 GLE I just bought (~60k miles) don't get terribly toasty (well, the driver's seat anyway...I haven't tried the passenger seat yet!). Not much difference between the "high" and "low" settings. Any tips on what to look for in troubleshooting? Or is this just Nissan's interpretation of "heated" and I need to get used to it?
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

obd2 diagnostics tool

have an 05 maxima with the slip/svc eng/ tcs cntrl lights on. bought the innovas 3130 but it does not have enhanced diagnostics for the nissan. anyone have a thought of a good diagnostics scanner?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 PM

HID bulb replacement

hey forum,

quick question my left side hid low beam light went from its normal whitish blue color to a dim purple color i am assuming its on its way out...can someone recommend a replacement hid blub. Also is the replacement an easy task and does anyone have a diy posted thanks again
Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by pepox369
is there any way to configure a different year nissan keyless entry remote on my 2001? the newer remotes look so much nicer..
No can do. 00-01 are interchangeable only
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mshariff
hey forum,

quick question my left side hid low beam light went from its normal whitish blue color to a dim purple color i am assuming its on its way out...can someone recommend a replacement hid blub. Also is the replacement an easy task and does anyone have a diy posted thanks again
I got mine from Hidextra.com a little under 40 bucks...they are D2R if not mistaken check on the headlight should say it on the corner printed clear...Good Luck.....
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM
L36

Can you use 6 speed transmission from 02-03 models in 00-01?
What would require for a tranny swap for a 2001 model to a 6 speed?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM

What does a burning clutch smell like? I noticed a very faint and odd smell when driving, only for about 5-10 seconds and then it was gone. This is my first manual and I've never burnt a clutch before so I don't know what to look for. I wasn't being hard on the clutch either, but I noticed the smell once I downshifted into 2nd (smoothly). Not sure if it was my car or something in the area around me and just a coincidence. Sorry for the stupid question, but I would be thankful if anyone could describe the smell/symptoms of a burnt clutch.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, my car had been feeling like it was missing when the engine was cold. So I thought it may be one of the coils going out and bought a whole new set, and did plugs as well. Now, it seems like in 2nd gear (manual transmission) it's missing even more now. It will only do it while the engine is under load too. In nuetral I can seit there and rev it to the moon and it smooth as silk. The only code I'm getting is for insufficient EGR flow. Could this be causing it? I played musical coils last night and they all seem fine. Anyone got any ideas?!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why cant I start my own topics?

Why cant I start my own topics in the 5th gen section?

I was wondering if it is possible to convert a 2002 maxima automatic to a Manuel? If so how much do you think it would cost?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by L36
Can you use 6 speed transmission from 02-03 models in 00-01?
What would require for a tranny swap for a 2001 model to a 6 speed?
I am wondering the same thing but for a 2002, if you findout can you e-mail me?

ar0d422@aim.com
Old 03-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Former Sponsor

SOUNDS LIKE TRANSMISSIONS ISSUES, CALL LEVEL 10 THE NISSAN EXPERTS
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 AM

2002 Max, I'm looking for the location of my CPS, crank sensor, help please Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by arod422
Why cant I start my own topics in the 5th gen section?

I was wondering if it is possible to convert a 2002 maxima automatic to a Manuel? If so how much do you think it would cost?
ALOT. Better off finding a 6spd Maxima.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to the group. I have 3 quick questions.
1.) Were there any recalls for the 2000 Maxima?
2.) Does anyone have a clue why I keep blowing fog light bulbs. Every year around the same time, right before inspection, I need 2 new bulbs.
3.) Is there a fuse in the Temperature control module that goes bad and would cause the blower switch to go bad.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciate!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Nygreymax
New to the group. I have 3 quick questions.
1.) Were there any recalls for the 2000 Maxima?
2.) Does anyone have a clue why I keep blowing fog light bulbs. Every year around the same time, right before inspection, I need 2 new bulbs.
3.) Is there a fuse in the Temperature control module that goes bad and would cause the blower switch to go bad.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciate!
For #3, it's the blower motor resistor.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM

i have just changed my headlights to 6000k and now im lookin to change the foglights to a bright white halogen what bulb size is the 2002 maxima's foglights
Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by nick dolce
i have just changed my headlights to 6000k and now im lookin to change the foglights to a bright white halogen what bulb size is the 2002 maxima's foglights
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hardwiring power question

My car (2000 maxima) is weird as sometimes it starts right up and sometimes it seems like it doesnt have enough power the start when I turn the ignition...I have a lot connected to the car, 2 amps, 2 subs, phone charger, gps & radar...it seems to start better when unplugging the phone or cutting the power off to the phone, radar and gps.. my question is, if I hardwired the gps and/or radar detector, would the car draw more power that way or if I continued to do it thru the cigarette lighter way that I do now?? I want to hardwire the gps b/c I wanna get rid of the wire factor..

also, If hard wiring the gps, will it still be able to receive traffic?

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread