5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
And THAT was the longest sentence ever.

Does it feel like a really, really quick jerk to one side like one brake suddenly grabbed and the let off in 1/10th of a second? If so, check your ABS lines to make sure they're not rubbing. Other than that, maybe a tie-rod end or something else simular. The best thing to do is get it up on jack stands and start tuggin on the tire (MUST be on jackstands, not a normal jack or you might kill yourself!). If you can yank the tire around, check the suspension components. If it seems pretty solid pull off the wheel that's tugging and inspect the ABS lines. And, lastly but most importantly the bottom of the keyboard has a row of keys situated between the shift keys that look like this: (zxcvbnm,./) Please make sure that the second to the last key that looks like a dot still works because it's darn near impossible to read your post without that key working.
yes exactly its really really quick jerk an also sorry about my puncuations ill remember next time ill check my abs lines tomorow
Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by fastmax24
sorry but i really dont like doing that waste of time if i edit it will it make you happy?
you would rather me waste my time trying to read that?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 AM

Hey guys,
Has anyone replaced high beam bulbs on 2K2 with whites-oem housing? Is there bulbs that exactly match oem xenon color- white (not those blueish things) and don't burn housing, considering that high beams are not being used that much. Any particular brands would be great help.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by maxig0
Hey guys,
Has anyone replaced high beam bulbs on 2K2 with whites-oem housing? Is there bulbs that exactly match oem xenon color- white (not those blueish things) and don't burn housing, considering that high beams are not being used that much. Any particular brands would be great help.
Thanks.
PIAA is usually the best, although they tend to cost a little more.
You can buy them here: http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=351
FYI: stock low-beam HID is 4300k
Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
PIAA is usually the best, although they tend to cost a little more.
You can buy them here: http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=351
FYI: stock low-beam HID is 4300k
Great info, thanks for the link.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Hey guys... Got a quick question. I backed into a tree one dark night and put a nast dent in my rear bumper. I was thinking of purchasing a rear bumper from a autoparts dealer on ebay that paints the bumper to match your color of the car exactly. I have never dealt with anything like this before so I was wondering what you guys thought.

Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...89122111QQrdZ1

Would you guys consider this a good bye or would you steer clear away from something like this?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Phillie
Hey guys... Got a quick question. I backed into a tree one dark night and put a nast dent in my rear bumper. I was thinking of purchasing a rear bumper from a autoparts dealer on ebay that paints the bumper to match your color of the car exactly. I have never dealt with anything like this before so I was wondering what you guys thought.

Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...89122111QQrdZ1

Would you guys consider this a good bye or would you steer clear away from something like this?
i wouldnt buy a bumper that was prepainted. it wont match because your other paint has faded a little. a body shop will be able to match the paint on the car...not the color it USED to be.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 AM

I was wondering if anyone had this problem...This started friday, i put my key in the ignition it wont turn, its like its the wrong key and i try both my maint and spare key and they both do the same thing, you can jiggle it for awhile and then it turns, i mean sometimes i can get right in and crank it up and the sometimes i sit in the damn car for about 15 minutes and eventually it would turn so if anyone knows anything please let me kno. i have a 2000 SE.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:37 AM

G&S... wiggle the steering wheel as you turn the key. It's a security thing. If you wiggle the wheel accidentally as you take the key out, you have to wiggle it again to start the car next time. see if that works.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 AM

i wiggled the steeriing wheel as much as possible and i kno when it does that and it cant b that..i dont know if the key slot wen bad or what i have no idea...
Old 02-19-2007, 03:23 PM

is a 5th gen hazard button supposed to light up?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
is a 5th gen hazard button supposed to light up?
No. 10 char.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My black window pillars are faded...doesnt look too good close up. Any suggestions?

Has anybody ever tried these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...QQcmdZViewItem

Im not sure if theyd look good or completely tacky.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by huffdaddy2008
My black window pillars are faded...doesnt look too good close up. Any suggestions?

Has anybody ever tried these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...QQcmdZViewItem

Im not sure if theyd look good or completely tacky.
if you remove the black tape, you will uncover the body colored paint under it. thats better than that fake chrome crap
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM
mtownyellaboy

( '00 infiniti I-30 ) I have had trouble with my auto tranny slipping when cold and when I really smash on the gas the car basically slips to redline then catches.I baby this car.I dont spin tires,I dont race just general normal driving.I recently checked my vin# for this TSB http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=388804 and my vin comes after this problem.Flushed and refilled with Mobile 1 synthetic and problem still there.Under normal driving under operating temp the tranny does not slip but it does kind of drag through the gears to me.Any takes on this problem???

Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 AM
is invisible

n00bbump
Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 AM

New...what to do?

Hi, I am new and am wondering what are the best type of modifacations I can do to my Automatic 2002 Nissan Maxima, either mechanically or cosmetically?
Trying to be a head turner just don't know how...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by jocoo
Hi, I am new and am wondering what are the best type of modifacations I can do to my Automatic 2002 Nissan Maxima, either mechanically or cosmetically?
Trying to be a head turner just don't know how...
Not to be a jerk, but read the Stickied threads at the top of the main 5th Gen page and you'll get plenty of information and ideas.

There are FAQs, How-Tos, suspension specific threads, exhaust sound clips, a picture thread to see what others have done, etc.

You can also look through the Members' Rides forum and the Advanced Performance forum (but I'd strongly suggest reading the stickies here before venturing into the Advanced forums).
Old 02-22-2007, 06:49 AM

Alright, I did some searching, but it seems there is some contradicting information on this subject.

About a month ago I got a sloshing sound from under the car and it only happened once. I posted in here about it and got no reply. I've been tracking my gas mileage and it averages about 18mpg (crappy) on the last 5 tanks. Well fast forward to yesterday, I get the SES. Had Autozone run the scanner on it and it's P0430, Cat Efficiency (Bank II). So after some searching, I'm still confused on what I should do. With my prior problems, I was thinking the Cat went bad, but I wouldn't have thought it was the front one. Some people say to replace the Bank II o2's, some people say get an o2 simulator and be done with it. Some people replace the cat and the o2's. I'm confused because there is a large difference in price between these different choices, but I do want the car to run well.

Coincidentally I'm taking it in the dealer tomorrow to have the ECM reprogrammed after I replace the MAF. I don't think thats going to help this problem though.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Not to be a jerk, but read the Stickied threads at the top of the main 5th Gen page and you'll get plenty of information and ideas.

There are FAQs, How-Tos, suspension specific threads, exhaust sound clips, a picture thread to see what others have done, etc.

You can also look through the Members' Rides forum and the Advanced Performance forum (but I'd strongly suggest reading the stickies here before venturing into the Advanced forums).
Ha ha..yeah my bad...thanks for the tips, see you can tell I'm new here.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
dmpesso

Help Please

alright this is it... i have the 02 GLE stock everything. Now i was thinking of getting some 20 inch rims on it but I hear its not even possible to put 20s on this car, is that true? if so, wat about 19s? can someone explain the difference of rides on 20s versus 19s coming from stock rims and a stock suspension setup like mine. the ride quality is already pretty bad on mine over bumps, doesnt feel to stable wat will change? if possible, wat can i get to make it ride better EVEN with 19s or 20s on it?

Now another question... I was thinking of getting a body kit too if i dont get the rims, now i was wondering, does a body kit come pre painted cuz i never knew, if not, is the proper way to install a body kit to buy one, then get it painted and THEN get it put on? also if i wanted to purchase a spoiler because i dont have a spoiler on mine will that come painted?

*!*Thanks alot, everyones feedback is greatly appreciated*!*

Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by dmpesso
alright this is it... i have the 02 GLE stock everything. Now i was thinking of getting some 20 inch rims on it but I hear its not even possible to put 20s on this car, is that true? if so, wat about 19s? can someone explain the difference of rides on 20s versus 19s coming from stock rims and a stock suspension setup like mine. the ride quality is already pretty bad on mine over bumps, doesnt feel to stable wat will change? if possible, wat can i get to make it ride better EVEN with 19s or 20s on it?

Now another question... I was thinking of getting a body kit too if i dont get the rims, now i was wondering, does a body kit come pre painted cuz i never knew, if not, is the proper way to install a body kit to buy one, then get it painted and THEN get it put on? also if i wanted to purchase a spoiler because i dont have a spoiler on mine will that come painted?

*!*Thanks alot, everyones feedback is greatly appreciated*!*
Look Around in the forums. You will see there are plenty of Maxima owners that have 20's on there Max. Just look around.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
dmpesso

Where should i look to find something like that? i mean yea there are people but where can i find where someone was in the same situation I am? thanks

Originally Posted by djcallao
Look Around in the forums. You will see there are plenty of Maxima owners that have 20's on there Max. Just look around.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dmpesso
Where should i look to find something like that? i mean yea there are people but where can i find where someone was in the same situation I am? thanks
Of course if you ride on 20's the ride is gonna be crappy. You have alot less rubber. I have a buddy with a 02 Max on 20's with stock suspension and there is still a nasty gap between the tire and wheel well. If you need more info on this look at the suspension sticky . http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=449807
Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
dmpesso

damn, cuz i like to drive hard, so im guessing if i get 20s or even 19s the ride will b alot ****tier and i cant drive too hard without ****in something up?

Of course if you ride on 20's the ride is gonna be crappy. You have alot less rubber. I have a buddy with a 02 Max on 20's with stock suspension and there is still a nasty gap between the tire and wheel well. If you need more info on this look at the suspension sticky . http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=449807

Old 02-22-2007, 03:00 PM

You're best bet would be 18's. They look good but yet you can still drive alittle hard. It all depends on the suspension set up you run also.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
dmpesso

damn, cuz i wanted something big(no homo) like at LEAST 19s, i was leaning towards 20s tho, so ur telling me even with 19s or 20s theres nothing i can buy for the suspension so that i can have a smooth ride and still drive hard?

You're best bet would be 18's. They look good but yet you can still drive alittle hard. It all depends on the suspension set up you run also.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 PM

HI guys - just picked up a 2002 SE in Glacia Pearl. I think its a base model - no leather, bose, or sunroof etc. Also its an auto. I was looking for a 6 speed but couldnt find one in the time I had to search for a car.

Couple of questions I've got from reading through the forum...

How do I know if I have a gen 5 or 5.5? What are the differences?
The ride is a little sloppy, well handling it ok, there is grip but it likes to wander over bumps and tracks the troughs in thr road. Are there any bushings that usually wear out? It has 80,000 miles on it.
Are there any shock or shock strut kits that tighten up the ride but retain a ride comfortable enough to put a baby in the back and keep it asleep?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by UKmaxima
How do I know if I have a gen 5 or 5.5? What are the differences?
The ride is a little sloppy, well handling it ok, there is grip but it likes to wander over bumps and tracks the troughs in thr road. Are there any bushings that usually wear out? It has 80,000 miles on it.
Are there any shock or shock strut kits that tighten up the ride but retain a ride comfortable enough to put a baby in the back and keep it asleep?
5th Gen = 2000-2001
5.5 Gen = 2002-2003

There's plenty of suspension info in the Stickies, start there for your research.

Here's one good link for a start:

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html
Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM

Oh also, I hear putting in the factory nav into a non nav is a pita. Cool - sounds like my idea of fun. I'm an electronics engineer with lots of automotive systems experience. Can someone give me a technical breakdown of whats involved with the nav system - whats integrated with it, ie hvac, diagnostics etc etc. Where can I get ahold of the wiring diagrams? I have the equipment to manufacture oem quality wiring looms so perhaps a plug and play loom can be created at some point in the future.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Give it a shot if you want although I'm not sure why you'd want to for anything other than the challenge. AFAIK, the people who've tried have found that it wasn't worth the time and money and most have just gone with an aftermarket navi unit.

Wiring diagrams can be found in a factory service manual.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Cletus

an aftermarket NAV unit would be cheaper and better.
stock one is CD based which tends to be slow.
aftermarket are DVD or hardrive.

plus the aftermarket would give you other things (ipod controls, etc)
Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by ricodemus
...I get the SES. Had Autozone run the scanner on it and it's P0430, Cat Efficiency (Bank II)...Some people replace the cat and the o2's. I'm confused because there is a large difference in price between these different choices, but I do want the car to run well.

Coincidentally I'm taking it in the dealer tomorrow to have the ECM reprogrammed after I replace the MAF. I don't think thats going to help this problem though.
I hope this isn't too late. The P0420/430 codes were, for the most part, caused by too narrow acceptance criteria in the programming. There's a TSB (I don't recall the number) for reflashing the ECU. I'd ask the tech if the reflash you're getting done will cover this too and if not, see if you can slip him $20 and get it done while you're there. It might take changing a lazy O2 sensor or two.
Originally Posted by UKmaxima
...The ride is a little sloppy, well handling it ok, there is grip but it likes to wander over bumps and tracks the troughs in thr road. Are there any bushings that usually wear out? It has 80,000 miles on it.
Besides what puppemaster says, what tires are you running? Cheapo tires with mushy sidewalls will do that. Before spending tons of dough on suspension upgrades, make sure it's not something as simple as granny tires.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my car wont turn on after i turned it off. is it normal that i have to wait for about 10mins to turn it back on?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by MaximaSe617
my car wont turn on after i turned it off. is it normal that i have to wait for about 10mins to turn it back on?
Um, absolutely not.

Is it turning over when you attempt to start it?
We probably need more info to help also (yr of car, miles, age of battery)
Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Question about WAI frankencar w/apexi

I have read the past threads about the WAi frankencar dyno results and other information regarding it, but can't seem to find a place to buy one for my 2001 max. I tried the website, and the listed phone numbers but no response. Anyone have any advice on how to order one, or another intake that is equally as good as that one???? Thanks for your time and help in advance.........
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by lake3031
I have read the past threads about the WAi frankencar dyno results and other information regarding it, but can't seem to find a place to buy one for my 2001 max. I tried the website, and the listed phone numbers but no response. Anyone have any advice on how to order one, or another intake that is equally as good as that one???? Thanks for your time and help in advance.........
http://www.berktechnology.com/

They are identical intakes.

Frankencar is out of business.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Um, absolutely not.

Is it turning over when you attempt to start it?
We probably need more info to help also (yr of car, miles, age of battery)
after i turned off the egnine, and wanted to turn it back on.the engine jsut wont start, i have to give it a little bit of gas to start the engine.the year of my car is 2000 and miles is 66,000
its only happen when i turned off the engine than turned back on right away.other than that its fine
sorry for my poor english
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM

PuppetMaster...thanks for you help!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Suspension, or other upgrades recommended????

Again, asking for your expert assistance...I'm planning on getting the TEIN H-tech springs, with the tokico illumina struts/shocks. If anyone disagreeing with that set-up, give me some insight on why??? Lastly, what are some other upgrades that are cost effective and well worth while??? Thanks Again

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread