5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

guys thanks for the responses, sorry for the delay. let me clarify...awhile back i cleaned the maf sensor with crc mass air flow cleaner, yet it didnt do anything. i took the plug off the sensor and started the car, trying to diagnose if it was the maf, but it would still die afterwards, not as shaky but still stall. so we took it to a mechanic, he said maf, so i bought one off rockauto, put it on, and it still did the same exact thing. it came with a paper saying it had to be taken to dealer and reset, but i didnt think it was the maf so i got money back. it doesnt ever have trouble accelerating like you say, it always can get up to the rpms i want it to. i took it to auto zone, and the only code that came up was P0100
Old 02-20-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by matt06027
guys thanks for the responses, sorry for the delay. let me clarify...awhile back i cleaned the maf sensor with crc mass air flow cleaner, yet it didnt do anything. i took the plug off the sensor and started the car, trying to diagnose if it was the maf, but it would still die afterwards, not as shaky but still stall. so we took it to a mechanic, he said maf, so i bought one off rockauto, put it on, and it still did the same exact thing. it came with a paper saying it had to be taken to dealer and reset, but i didnt think it was the maf so i got money back. it doesnt ever have trouble accelerating like you say, it always can get up to the rpms i want it to. i took it to auto zone, and the only code that came up was P0100
P0100 is an error code on the MAF ... so your right back where you started. You will need to get a replacement, and may very well have to get the ECU reprogrammed / updated by the Dealership in your area
Old 02-20-2010, 06:05 AM

Hey Ghost, everytime I've seen your sig I drool. Can you tell me your honest opinion on the harshness (is that even a word?!?!) of the ride with the KYB GR2's and the S-Techs? The car looks great.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by glockfanbob
Hey Ghost, everytime I've seen your sig I drool. Can you tell me your honest opinion on the harshness (is that even a word?!?!) of the ride with the KYB GR2's and the S-Techs? The car looks great.
Thanks for the compliment!

I don't find my ride harsh at all, but alot will depend on the road condition that you travel on. I do alot of HWY driving and the ones I use are not to bad, some say the combination I have was a bit bouncy for them but again I have not felt this, all in all I'm very happy with this setup.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
P0100 is an error code on the MAF ... so your right back where you started. You will need to get a replacement, and may very well have to get the ECU reprogrammed / updated by the Dealership in your area
yeah the guy at the auto parts store told me that, but he said it could be other things besides that, he named a few different sensors but i cant think of them. i just dont think its the maf, bc ive been searching around on here and other sites, and everybody else with maf problems, either couldnt rev past 3500 rpms or they were having the complete opposite of me, their car would stall when warm. i think im gonna take it to another mechanic, one me and my dad have used a few times, and see if he can fix it
Old 02-20-2010, 02:44 PM

so i learned a little the last few days about the clutch/slave.
clutch when dead last night.checked fluid, was empty.bled at the slave, drove for aprox 20 mi, then started to go soft again.so next step is ss clutch line and oem slave right? after a little more reading i understand there is another bleed point closer to the resivoir. should i locate this and try to bleed from here before i start replacing parts?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
What adaptor are you speaking of? The dash kit where the CD's are? If so, that's stock. Mine came with the same thing.

Regarding the performance. Dont compare the Max and Sentra. They are different chassis.

Why the hell would you want to put a stock Bose unit in? They suck *****. Aftermarket is wayyyy better.
WOW what year is that? My stock stereo is one whole unit. It doesnt come apart like that. If I can get the a faceplate like that so I can put an aftermarket radio in and make it look factoryish I will buy a nice double din radio. It just stinks not haveing a radio at the moment.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by efanatic
Hey can anyone tell me where to get this stereo adapter? It looks very clean and like it came with the car(I like that)

http://forums.maxima.org/6890182-post9.html

Also I have a 2K gxe with an auto tranny. Well my performance isnt what I thought it would be. It runs 0 to 60mph in 8.1 at best most runs were around 8.2 to 8.4(useing a window mount G meter. My 02 ser with a 5 speed would do it in 7.2 seconds?? From what I have read on the car reviews the max should be closer to that. I did change the plugs yeterday but that didnt help Any easy ways to get some more power(cheap) ? Another thing is the handleing. Its no where close to the ser. The max get twitchy on bumps and doesnt handle the turns as well either. The car is nice and it drives well ,it just I thought the max would be as fast and handle as well as the ser.

Oh if I cant find the stereo adapter will a bose out of a 02 work in my car(my stock radio died )
What adaptor are you speaking of? The dash kit where the CD's are? If so, that's stock. Mine came with the same thing.

Regarding the performance. Dont compare the Max and Sentra. They are different chassis.

Why the hell would you want to put a stock Bose unit in? They suck *****. Aftermarket is wayyyy better.
I just did a search on 2000 to 2003 maxima radios and they are all like mine?? They are separate from the airvent at the top unlike the pic I linked above. my radio takes up the entire radio spot all they was on oint sides(the center doesnt come out???
This is what my radio looks like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the compliment!

I don't find my ride harsh at all, but alot will depend on the road condition that you travel on. I do alot of HWY driving and the ones I use are not to bad, some say the combination I have was a bit bouncy for them but again I have not felt this, all in all I'm very happy with this setup.
Excellent, thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated.

Quick question, I've overloaded my brain with reading all this suspension non sense lately and just want to know straight up what I need to replace to go to your setup.

1) S-Tech springs
2) KYB GR2 shocks & struts
3) What else (boots, etc)???

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by glockfanbob
Excellent, thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated.

Quick question, I've overloaded my brain with reading all this suspension non sense lately and just want to know straight up what I need to replace to go to your setup.

1) S-Tech springs
2) KYB GR2 shocks & struts
3) What else (boots, etc)???

Thanks again.
I was able to reuse all my original OEM inner parts as they were still in very good shape, so it may depend on how many miles are on the car and if your inner parts are showing signs of wear.

#7 (Mounts)
#10 (strut bearings)
#13 (dustboot/bumpstop)

These I would suggest you change at the very least, may I suggest Moog as the replacement brand.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Not really new here, but figured this was the best place to ask.

Are our cars suppose to come with a plastic shield under the engine/front end of the car? If so what is the "official" name of that piece? (belly pan?) Also, does anybody know the part number for it?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt
Not really new here, but figured this was the best place to ask.

Are our cars suppose to come with a plastic shield under the engine/front end of the car? If so what is the "official" name of that piece? (belly pan?) Also, does anybody know the part number for it?

Thanks in advance
If your are referring to the Splash Shields, try this link
http://www.partstrain.com/store/inde...Engine%20Parts
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM

If your are referring to the Splash Shields, try this link
http://www.partstrain.com/store/inde...Engine%20Parts
No, I'm talking directly under the engine. For example this is on a VW Golf for reference:

The piece that is being removed. I believe it is called an engine splash guard?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt
No, I'm talking directly under the engine. For example this is on a VW Golf for reference:

The piece that is being removed. I believe it is called an engine splash guard?
Found this E-bay link for the left side http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...311710013r7540
Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Hmm...I think I have that piece. I think I'm missing another part. i think I just gonna have to look at someone's Max. Thanks for the help though.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 20th01
Hello,
I've been surfing this site for a bit now, but still cannot make my own thread and I don't know why haha, but anyways this may seem like an odd request so I'm not sure if I'll get anything back on it, but I have a 2001 Maxima SE 20th Edition, it has the Titanium/metal interior trim, however I would like to get the wood trim for it, I called Nissan and they told me that the only way they can help me with this is if I can get them the vin number from a car that has the wood so they can pull the part number because there computer wont show them if its wood or metal or anything, so I was wondering if somebody might be able to get me there vin number so I could do this, OR if they could maybe get ahold of Nissan for me and aquire the part numbers, OR sell me there wood trim haha, because I cannot find any Maximas at any wreckers anywhere and I want the wood haha thanks
Also if anybody can help me in getting my account activated so i can post in the WTB thread that would be awesome, thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Hid Issues

Alright so i hooked up my aftermarket 6k conversion kit in my 02 max the other day and everything seemed to have gone wrong. the auto switch for my headlights doesn't seems to turn them on nor if i turn the switch all the way on. they seem to go on when they feel like it and it has a weird buzzing sound when i try and put my lights on but they stay off. any ideas on how to correct this and or any pics to see how you guys have wired your own pair of hids?? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Manual transmission replacement

The 5 speed on my 2000 is starting to go. I'd like to swap in a used/rebuilt unit. My question is, is there any advantage to going with a unit from another year, or should I stick with a 2000? I've seen some of the suggestions here to go to the 6 speed or a tranny from another model. I'm OK with this as long as it is a direct swap, I'm not interested in sinking a lot of money/fab work into this right now.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Shahman
The 5 speed on my 2000 is starting to go. I'd like to swap in a used/rebuilt unit. My question is, is there any advantage to going with a unit from another year, or should I stick with a 2000? I've seen some of the suggestions here to go to the 6 speed or a tranny from another model. I'm OK with this as long as it is a direct swap, I'm not interested in sinking a lot of money/fab work into this right now.

Thanks.
Any '95-'01 trans will work, though the earlier models are more prone to diff bearing issues. Also a '95-'99 trans without modification will have your shifter sitting differently.

The 6MT is not a direct swap, this writeup would apply to your chassis as well: http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...edure-faq.html
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by jonnypax09
Alright so i hooked up my aftermarket 6k conversion kit in my 02 max the other day and everything seemed to have gone wrong. the auto switch for my headlights doesn't seems to turn them on nor if i turn the switch all the way on. they seem to go on when they feel like it and it has a weird buzzing sound when i try and put my lights on but they stay off. any ideas on how to correct this and or any pics to see how you guys have wired your own pair of hids?? any help would be greatly appreciated.
You should already have the ballasts if you have an 02 and just swap to a different temp bulb?

If you actually have a 00-001, Reverse the polarity of the harness going into the ballast. Meaning, the + side of the harness should be on the - side of the ballast.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

custommaxima.com exhaust

i was wondering if the custommaxima exhaust it a good exhaust its only 170$ i think for the full exhaust if anyone has one let me know how you like it..thanks

02 Max se
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 AM

You should already have the ballasts if you have an 02 and just swap to a different temp bulb?

If you actually have a 00-001, Reverse the polarity of the harness going into the ballast. Meaning, the + side of the harness should be on the - side of the ballast.
yeah see i did that already i bought 6k bulbs and put them in and their much bluer than 6k which don't match my fog lights. thats why i tried running them to separate ballasts so they would actually match but i guess ill have to resort to unmatched lights if i cant get these to work
Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys just joined the forum today I got an 01 maxima and just realized that my flex , resonator , and muffler are rusting and are leaking so I ordered a Jim wolf intake a Cattman y pipe, but what do u suggest for a catback I looked at the Meghan but not too sure I want sumtin with out a massive muffler and not onsanly loud... And also how common is it for the bottom of the radiator support to be prety well rusted ?
Thanx
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

hi i cant start now thread and i past the 15 post
Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by RobMoreira91
Hey guys just joined the forum today I got an 01 maxima and just realized that my flex , resonator , and muffler are rusting and are leaking so I ordered a Jim wolf intake a Cattman y pipe, but what do u suggest for a catback I looked at the Meghan but not too sure I want sumtin with out a massive muffler and not onsanly loud... And also how common is it for the bottom of the radiator support to be prety well rusted ?
Thanx
Cattman exhaust? It's common (http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...cs-inside.html). Try searching.

Originally Posted by A-BOY
hi i cant start now thread and i past the 15 post
Hi, try again; else, PM a moderator.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://www.cattman.com/
i ordered that y pipe from them, well they are still working on it i guess need to be test fitted before the guy makes a batch haven't paid yet obviously. but i have ordered the intake should be in within a week .
i was curious on what catback system i should i get i seen a meghan for 420 shipped to my door but not too sure on which one i want yet.. and suggestions
and BTW the website is old but they do have stuff available if you give them a call
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Confusing

Every time that I have had a problem with my 01 Maxima I have been able to figure out the solution mainly searching the forums here, until now.

My wife was driving home and she noticed the seat belt and ABS lights come one as well as the fuel gauge bottoming out. She pulled over and called me. I got there in a half hour and the car easily turned on and I drove it home. After checking a few of things, I drove it around for a while and nothing happened. Since then I have driven it for over 100 miles both stop and go and highway driving. Everything was fine.

Yesterday, just three days after our first issue, we started the car in the morning and let it warm up for a minute or two and when we went to jump in, it was dead. Car would turn over when I tried to start it, but wouldn't start. The battery also didn't have enough juice to get it started.

The starter and alternator have been replaced within the last year, the battery is an Interstate 85 month that is about 3 years old. I had them both checked and according to the tester at Autozone both battery and alternator are fine.

I've located various grounding points and cleared off corrosion so I should have a good connection. The only other thing that is currently happening is my radiator has a small leak and a little coolant gets into the engine compartment, but that has been going on for over a month (Just waiting for it to warm up here in Chicago before replacing it).

The other thing that is confusing is that I do not have any trouble lights coming on. I have charged the battery back up and it is running fine right now. The only thing I can think of is the alternator is only working when it wants to be and then stops just long enough for me or my wife to get stranded. Any thoughts or ideas for me? Currently the car is working, but I have no confidence that it won't stop working on a whim.

Thanks

2001 Maxima SE Automatic
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TripleD77
Every time that I have had a problem with my 01 Maxima I have been able to figure out the solution mainly searching the forums here, until now.

My wife was driving home and she noticed the seat belt and ABS lights come one as well as the fuel gauge bottoming out. She pulled over and called me. I got there in a half hour and the car easily turned on and I drove it home. After checking a few of things, I drove it around for a while and nothing happened. Since then I have driven it for over 100 miles both stop and go and highway driving. Everything was fine.

Yesterday, just three days after our first issue, we started the car in the morning and let it warm up for a minute or two and when we went to jump in, it was dead. Car would turn over when I tried to start it, but wouldn't start. The battery also didn't have enough juice to get it started.

The starter and alternator have been replaced within the last year, the battery is an Interstate 85 month that is about 3 years old. I had them both checked and according to the tester at Autozone both battery and alternator are fine.

I've located various grounding points and cleared off corrosion so I should have a good connection. The only other thing that is currently happening is my radiator has a small leak and a little coolant gets into the engine compartment, but that has been going on for over a month (Just waiting for it to warm up here in Chicago before replacing it).

The other thing that is confusing is that I do not have any trouble lights coming on. I have charged the battery back up and it is running fine right now. The only thing I can think of is the alternator is only working when it wants to be and then stops just long enough for me or my wife to get stranded. Any thoughts or ideas for me? Currently the car is working, but I have no confidence that it won't stop working on a whim.

Thanks

2001 Maxima SE Automatic
The stock battery terminal is very thin and weak. I would sugest checking that first. I just had to replace mine for the same reason and I have only had the car for 2 weeks . I would be driveuing and all of a sudden my dash lights would come on and the headlights would dimm a little every few seconds. I turned the car off and back on and all was fine It happened again and I pulled the battery terminal when the ses light came on and found it to be the problem. I have replaced it and all is well again
Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by TripleD77

Thanks

2001 Maxima SE Automatic
Your definitely going to want to get after that rad leak you would be quit surprised to see just how messed up your grounding wiring and other electric components can get when they are getting washed down with spray from the rad leak.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

efanatic, I'm a little confused with what you mean by the stock battery terminal. If you could clarify that would be great.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ghost_54, the radiator should get here by the weekend and if it warms up above freezing I'll take care of it then. Yesterday I sprayed down the engine compartment hoping to clean off as much of the coolant as I possibly could. This is something I should have taken care of when it first happened but didn't.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 AM

I had to replace th positive connecter that attaches to the battery. It didnt look bad but once I removed it, it was all corroded. That fixed my issue. Now my gauges arent acting all funny.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by efanatic
I had to replace th positive connecter that attaches to the battery. It didnt look bad but once I removed it, it was all corroded. That fixed my issue. Now my gauges arent acting all funny.
Ok, thanks. I'll have to take a look at that as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 AM

Hi Forum,
I'm relatively new to the site and have a few different questions.

1) How do you get to a point where you can post a thread? I've never been on a forum with rules like this and it is frustrating not knowing and I have not been able to ask until now.

2) I need to replace the front struts on my 03 SE. They quoted me $920 to replace. How hard are they to do on your own and what should service like this cost?

3) My electric actuator for my gas tank cover stopped working and I'm trying to find out if anyone has replaced and can I get a used one some place??

I think that is it for now. Thanks much!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by natew51
Hi Forum,
I'm relatively new to the site and have a few different questions.

1) How do you get to a point where you can post a thread? I've never been on a forum with rules like this and it is frustrating not knowing and I have not been able to ask until now.
I'm in the same boat. You have to have 15 posts before you can start your own thread. You can reply to current threads, but nothing more
Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. I have 2000 Maxima with a major dilemma. The key does not turn in the ignition. Any advice?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by IIDMOII
Hey guys. I have 2000 Maxima with a major dilemma. The key does not turn in the ignition. Any advice?
Try moving the steering wheel back and forth as you try to turn the key.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by IIDMOII
This looked like a pretty good article on what to do as well:
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-an-Ignition-Key-That-Doesn't-Turn
Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM

guys i have a question anyone have ksport springs? im thinkin of getting them does anyone have them any advice or any info on the ride and feel of them?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

custommaxima.com exhaust

so im guessing no one has a custommaxima.com exhaust for the 02 maxima

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread