5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Is it just when you drive it, or does it also get warmer when you rev it up?

Have you checked the coolant level?

No, the thermostat is unlikely.
Yea I checked it this morning, It looked fine. Any other Ideas ?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Cutthroat
Yea I checked it this morning, It looked fine. Any other Ideas ?
Ideas are pending the answer to both questions.

Did you check the reservoir or the radiator?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by noxitrao
Hi Guys,

Today I again took my car to garage for the same tranmission problem. They told me that my CKP is bad and needs replacement. He also informed me that this sensor also sends signals to TCU. Please tell if bad CKP has anything to do with tranmission slip? secondaly, my car never had starting problems, but i did see myself computer throwing CKP code...
The crank sensor is used for engine speed purposes, but shouldn't be used by the transmission control logic; that should be data passed by the ECU. Have you checked scan data to see if it's reading engine speed at all times? Checked to see whether or not there's a 1-2 shift being commanded when the issue happens? If so, that'll lead you to a trans issue. Otherwise, it would be a control issue.

When you changed the fluid, did you pull the pan and inspect the screen and solenoids for debris or damage?

Also, have you not tried the self-diagnosis steps? As I posted above, they should work just fine with your car.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM

hello everyone, i needs a new front bolt joint, just curious about prices since im on a budget. did anyone do it themselves or at the mechanics?

please dont hate on a dumb question
Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by DOODOOCHIP
hello everyone, i needs a new front bolt joint, just curious about prices since im on a budget. did anyone do it themselves or at the mechanics?

please dont hate on a dumb question
I don't know what a "bolt joint" is. If you mean "BALL joint", then you can get them for around $50, depending upon brand and quality. You can also get a Lower Control Arm (LCA) that includes the ball joint for around $120, depending on brand and quality.

I have replaced ball joints myself. But if you want to do it your self, you better have some experience working on car suspension and the appropriate tools. You can be seriously injured or even killed doing this if you don't know how to do it.

The fact that you had to ask about doing it your self makes me think that you are not prepared to do this.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE
As always, before you begin your research, are you experiencing any symptoms i.e., noises, vibration? And what was his diagnostic procedure?[/QUOTE]

I took it in to have my o2 before the CAT replaced and he told me that they need to be replaced. I'll get a second opinion.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Make sure your ball joints are actually bad. I say it cause i recently did front end work in my car (inner and outter tie rods, fsbl and bushings) and my ball joints were still in pretty good shape. 190k and new orleans bad roads
Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chadmaxima44
The iSimple is disconnected and the antenna adapters are removed.

I have moved the dimmer all the way until it clicks.

No sound out of the radio - it does not power up. The HVAC operates fine, just the display goes dark after the headlights are turned on.

I have checked all the fuses related to accessory power in any way. Everything else on the car is functioning fine. The car is stock otherwise - no mods at all.
Originally Posted by chadmaxima44
The iSimple is disconnected and the antenna adapters are removed.

I have moved the dimmer all the way until it clicks.

No sound out of the radio - it does not power up. The HVAC operates fine, just the display goes dark after the headlights are turned on.

I have checked all the fuses related to accessory power in any way. Everything else on the car is functioning fine. The car is stock otherwise - no mods at all.
Thought I would post my fix in case anyone else runs into this.

The dimmer switch was faulty. Replaced it and the lighting issue was fixed.

The radio was caused by two wires in the wrong spot in the harness.

If anyone wants to add a 3.5mm aux input to a Bose system, the iSimple Tranzit USB works very well. Sound is high quality. Very simple hookup.

Red wire from iSimple goes to purple wire behind the Bose. Black wire goes to ground anywhere on the radio chassis.

You'll need two antenna adapters for the diversity antenna: Metra 40NI10 and a 40NI20.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM

i have an 01 se and i did a brake job (rotars, pads, and full system bleed) but now when i press my brakes the pedal goes right to the floor with no effort at all. topped off the resivior took it for a drive 30 min drive doing a lot of braking, no fluid level change. any ideas?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by dannyperrault
i have an 01 se and i did a brake job (rotars, pads, and full system bleed) but now when i press my brakes the pedal goes right to the floor with no effort at all. topped off the resivior took it for a drive 30 min drive doing a lot of braking, no fluid level change. any ideas?
Have you tried bleeding again? Depending on how you bled the system, you may have introduced air into the system.

Also if you went full stroke on the brake pedal during the bleed, it's possible that you damaged the master cylinder.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM

hmm im not thinking its the way i bled it. when the car is off if i pump the pedal up then apply relaxed pressure it creeps down to the floor.
the other day my starter went and my buddy had to tow me home, couldnt turn the car on so i had to use the brakes with it off. prob a 1-1 1/5 mile drive. can that damage a M/C?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dannyperrault
hmm im not thinking its the way i bled it. when the car is off if i pump the pedal up then apply relaxed pressure it creeps down to the floor.
the other day my starter went and my buddy had to tow me home, couldnt turn the car on so i had to use the brakes with it off. prob a 1-1 1/5 mile drive. can that damage a M/C?
No, that won't hurt it.

To bleed the 5th gens you should have had the battery disconnected or the ABS fuse pulled, per the FSM. Otherwise the ABS actuator will get all confused. Bleed it again that way, because you're either leaking, or there is air in the system.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
No, that won't hurt it.

To bleed the 5th gens you should have had the battery disconnected or the ABS fuse pulled, per the FSM. Otherwise the ABS actuator will get all confused. Bleed it again that way, because you're either leaking, or there is air in the system.
oh thanks man appericate the help. ill try that, if it doesnt work ill start looking at my master and brake booster.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

speaker mount plates

I need to know how to remove the speaker from the mounting plate itself.
Here's a similar thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-speakers.html

but from some of the posts in that thread, it seems that the speakers are attached to the bracket...more like sealed to it. My 2000 SE didn't have the bose system. I'm now trying to change out the speakers. It sounds cheap but I don't want to spend $35 for a set of 4 new brackets on ebay. I read somewhere you can disassemble the speaker from the stock bracket. Has anyone done this before or know how this can be done? The speaker is blown, so I don't mind damaging it further.

Edit: At this point, I'm down to removing the magnet. It seems to be sealed onto the bracket, and there are no visible screws.

Last edited by Sameer71992; 01-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ It IS sealed to the bracket. You have to cut it out using a saw.

You can get MDF rings for $20. Honestly if you can't afford that then you really shouldn't be messing with the car because other issues will occur.

Also, I am located in NJ. I can help you. I'm sending you a PM now.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
^^ It IS sealed to the bracket. You have to cut it out using a saw.

You can get MDF rings for $20. Honestly if you can't afford that then you really shouldn't be messing with the car because other issues will occur.

Also, I am located in NJ. I can help you. I'm sending you a PM now.
I was able to get the money from a friend. I'm out of a job until the spring semester at college starts back up, that's why I didn't have money for it.

I'm hoping these are the right ones?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-6-Spe...ht_2378wt_1037
Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF for 2002 5.5

After posting about the cost of the MAF, someone posted this link for Courtesy Parts. The link is for the MAF is labeled as 2000-2001. I called them up and asked if this would work on a 02. He told me no, and the 02 MAF was around $400.

Has anyone installed this on the 02 3.5? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DzedNCnfuzed
After posting about the cost of the MAF, someone posted this link for Courtesy Parts. The link is for the MAF is labeled as 2000-2001. I called them up and asked if this would work on a 02. He told me no, and the 02 MAF was around $400.

Has anyone installed this on the 02 3.5? Thanks!
ok this is the correct MAF what you need to do is swap the little Thermosistor off your old MAF to the new one to make it work.
Read this Posting
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-pictures.html
Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Queation. I have moog front end parts, how often am i suppose to grease them?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So recently my oil light came on in my '00 max but it was after an oil change. My oil level was fine. Is this a defect and what would be something to get fix
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Thecarguy215
So recently my oil light came on in my '00 max but it was after an oil change. My oil level was fine. Is this a defect and what would be something to get fix
It flickered on, or it came on and stayed on?

Can we assume that there are no obvious signs of it not having oil pressure?

The oil pressure switch can be plugged up with debris or just have plain failed in the closed position, keeping the light on. I would pull it out and test it (or you could just replace it) before looking any further into an internal engine issue.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by arkangelgabriel
Queation. I have moog front end parts, how often am i suppose to grease them?
Every oil change is fine.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM

I have 2 questions, first one, I just recently purchased a 2003 Maxima SE and it has a power steering leak as well as an oil leak... they are both leaking out the same general area (my guess is the oil leak is the valve cover and I've ordered a replacement, just waiting on it to come in) but the power steering is leaking quite a bit. I tried looking up there and I can't see where it would be leaking from or even where the lines are at.... (the puddle is behind the right front tire) Any idea where the leak could be coming from so I know the area to try to locate it?

Also, I just installed an aftermarket radio... the front door speakers don't work, but the tweaters do... any idea what is causing this? I double cheked the wires and everything looks correct.

thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokin5s
I have 2 questions, first one, I just recently purchased a 2003 Maxima SE and it has a power steering leak as well as an oil leak... they are both leaking out the same general area (my guess is the oil leak is the valve cover and I've ordered a replacement, just waiting on it to come in) but the power steering is leaking quite a bit. I tried looking up there and I can't see where it would be leaking from or even where the lines are at.... (the puddle is behind the right front tire) Any idea where the leak could be coming from so I know the area to try to locate it?

Also, I just installed an aftermarket radio... the front door speakers don't work, but the tweaters do... any idea what is causing this? I double cheked the wires and everything looks correct.

Your power steering leak is probly the hose.pull the insulation off the hose and see if its damp with fluid. Read This.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hose-02-a.html
Your Valve cover gasket just replace the complete rear valve cover and save some fustration and money.Order the rear cover from a 04 maxima.
Read This.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...overs-pic.html
For your Radio issue see this
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Your power steering leak is probly the hose.pull the insulation off the hose and see if its damp with fluid. Read This.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hose-02-a.html
Your Valve cover gasket just replace the complete rear valve cover and save some fustration and money.Order the rear cover from a 04 maxima.
Read This.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...overs-pic.html
For your Radio issue see this
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
I actually did read that and ordered a 2004 valve cover... I'm just waiting on it to come in :-)

I did not have a BOSE stereo in the car before, just the standard stereo.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM

Thx phmor.
Make sure that in fact it is power steering fluid thats leaking. I know it sounds dumb but checl your resorvour for changes. I say it because i to had a oil leak right on that area. I thought it was the power steering hose since it was covered in oil. Power steering fluid didnt go down but i didnt think it wax engine oil since it wouldbt go down either. turnes out it was only my rear valve cover gasket. power steering is fine
Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 PM

Thx phmor.
Make sure that in fact it is power steering fluid thats leaking. I know it sounds dumb but checl your resorvour for changes. I say it because i to had a oil leak right on that area. I thought it was the power steering hose since it was covered in oil. Power steering fluid didnt go down but i didnt think it wax engine oil since it wouldbt go down either. turnes out it was only my rear valve cover gasket. power steering is fine
both are definitely leaking. The reservoir is going down as well as there's oil there also. The car had a rough life before me and now I'm putting a lot of time and money into making it right again.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM

cant seem to find any post dunno why. i want to put a heat shield on my short ram intake, has anyone done it?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 AM

Wow yeah sounds rough lol. But its good you putting time and efford into it. Its a good car!! I keep mine up. But yeah its probably the return power steering hose i think its called. Its wraped in insulation and goes from your power steering pump to the resovour. Id say get under and spray some engine degresear (having the car not running of course) let it sit for a few minutes and wash it that way you can see where exactly is it leaking from. As far as your rear cover its easier on a 5.5. Specially since you dont have to deal with the tube seals. I resently did both of my valve covers and the rear one wad a pain for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM

great!

so as far as the radio, I am had a non-BOSE stereo in the car, with the new radio install the front tweeters work fine, it's the front door speakers that have no sound, this is on both front doors. the rear doors play sound as well as the rear deck lid speakers have sound... any idea why I have no sound ut of the front door speakers?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My front speakers didn't work either when I first got my car...although I have a 2000 SE...my speakers were blown. Try switching a working speaker with one that doesn't work. Obviously if the working speaker works in the other door, it was the old speaker that was bad. If that doesn't work, you could always try rewiring to the head unit. If the problem persists, try another head unit
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM

great!

so as far as the radio, I am had a non-BOSE stereo in the car, with the new radio install the front tweeters work fine, it's the front door speakers that have no sound, this is on both front doors. the rear doors play sound as well as the rear deck lid speakers have sound... any idea why I have no sound ut of the front door speakers?
Yep agree with sameer72 there. Your speakers are most probably blown. I doubt its the unite since you just got it but its never out of the question. When my non bose went out only the little side ones sounded. I recomend you replace the speakers (after you get an old speaker and hook it to make sure that indead it is the speakers) with some qualitly ones. i put in some cheap ones without the housing even and i regreat it....
Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Yep agree with sameer72 there. Your speakers are most probably blown. I doubt its the unite since you just got it but its never out of the question. When my non bose went out only the little side ones sounded. I recomend you replace the speakers (after you get an old speaker and hook it to make sure that indead it is the speakers) with some qualitly ones. i put in some cheap ones without the housing even and i regreat it....
what size speakers does the front doors take? Also anyone recommend a good cheap speaker? (I know that good and cheap don't typically go hand in hand) but I typically just listen to Stern or Playboy radio as well as the ocasional song, but I don't have nor do I want any type of system in my car (stock speakers sound good to me)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

if the speakers were blown wouldn't it make vibrating noises or something? they both litterally make zero noise.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have a question. My '01 Maxima GLE has 165K. Still like the car but the ride quality has suffered. Should I replace struts, springs? What else wears out that would effect this?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kevin92059
Have a question. My '01 Maxima GLE has 165K. Still like the car but the ride quality has suffered. Should I replace struts, springs? What else wears out that would effect this?
Your struts are probably shot. They should be replaced at around 100K. The springs should be ok, it's kind of rare for springs to be replaced this early. other things that you could check would be the bushings on the front swaybar and the connecting links.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
It flickered on, or it came on and stayed on?

Can we assume that there are no obvious signs of it not having oil pressure?

The oil pressure switch can be plugged up with debris or just have plain failed in the closed position, keeping the light on. I would pull it out and test it (or you could just replace it) before looking any further into an internal engine issue.
It came on and stayed on for that trip (no flickering) but when I got back in the car to go back home it was off and stayed of till I was almost home and stayed on till I got home
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Your struts are probably shot. They should be replaced at around 100K. The springs should be ok, it's kind of rare for springs to be replaced this early. other things that you could check would be the bushings on the front swaybar and the connecting links.
And just to add, when doing your struts, always replace the strut mounts and make sure you have some nice dustboots in there.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM

speakers were bad, I replaced them and all is good. Also I verified the high pressure power steering line is definitely leaking. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow so I can get it replaced. Am I better off replacing it at the same time that I replace the valve cover or does having the intake manifold off not really gain much as far as ease of install?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM

speakers were bad, I replaced them and all is good. Also I verified the high pressure power steering line is definitely leaking. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow so I can get it replaced. Am I better off replacing it at the same time that I replace the valve cover or does having the intake manifold off not really gain much as far as ease of install?
Speakers would make some sort of noise if theres some life left in them. But when really dead then yeah nothing. Glad u got that taken care off. As far as the power steering i would do it at the same time so u get it all taken care off. However take your time and make sure its all done right specially your rvc. dont want that leaking after you put it all vack together. You can use some high temperature liquid gasket in the corners just to makr sure it wont leak since thats where its more prompt to. i know some guys here recommended something called indian creek. i didnt have that avaliable but i did found high temperature liquid gasket.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread