5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power steering pump issue

Whats up everyone im new to the forum and was wondering if any one had this issue and could help me. I have 2002 maxima SE 3.5 im guessing the power steering pump went bad so i decided to change it . The problem im facing now is that i can't find the same exact pump, ive gone to auto parts stores junk yard, the dealer and i still cant seem to find the pump, i've came to the conclusion that the 02 SE Pump is different. It has a (dont kno what it is called) pin in it where the main bolt goes that connect the power steering hose. The pump the stores give me does not have that pin in it and only the 2004 maxima and up have it but the bracket that goes around it doesn't fit on it. so I was wondering what to do now? use the ones that the auto part are referring? Has any one had this issue ? please help Thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Gonzmax
Whats up everyone im new to the forum and was wondering if any one had this issue and could help me. I have 2002 maxima SE 3.5 im guessing the power steering pump went bad so i decided to change it . The problem im facing now is that i can't find the same exact pump, ive gone to auto parts stores junk yard, the dealer and i still cant seem to find the pump, i've came to the conclusion that the 02 SE Pump is different. It has a (dont kno what it is called) pin in it where the main bolt goes that connect the power steering hose. The pump the stores give me does not have that pin in it and only the 2004 maxima and up have it but the bracket that goes around it doesn't fit on it. so I was wondering what to do now? use the ones that the auto part are referring? Has any one had this issue ? please help Thanks.
Update I found a 2003 Maxima SE it had the same exact power steering pump different from all the other ones i was getting, so the power steering pump has to come out a 02 & up SE . Thanks for the HELP EVERYONE http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/thumbsdown.gif LMFAOOOOOO
Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Maxima 2002 Fog Lights

Does anyone know how to wire fog lights????
I read something using splice with the blue cable of the fog relay
but looks like something is going wrong.
Does that really work for some??? or there is more work to it?
is there an easy way??
Can someone help . please
Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by egali045
Does anyone know how to wire fog lights????
I read something using splice with the blue cable of the fog relay
but looks like something is going wrong.
Does that really work for some??? or there is more work to it?
is there an easy way??
Can someone help . please
What are you trying to accomplish besides burn up your wire harness?

What information are you following? Was it for the same year as your car? The different year models are not all the same.

We need more information from you.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Beyond Frustrated.

Ok all, I just joined here and searched, couldn't find an answer to my specific problem so please forgive me if I have overlooked something.

I own a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, bought the car used back in Sept. The issue I currently have is that my bf insisted on purchasing some Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (the 12oz bottle) one for his truck and one for my Maxima. I just put the stuff in my tank last Thursday (prior to this I had put in the Lucas brand when I bought the car in Sept). The other day as the tank was getting down to 1/4 tank the car started to sputter (a lot like the same issue I had with my Mazda Protege when the CAI sucked up water), it wasn't accelerating correctly and it would intermittently sputter. Got to a gas station and put some 89 octane in it (because I couldn't bear to pay over $4 a gallon for 93) well the problem went away. Then just today back down to a quarter tank it started all over again, stopped and put some more gas in the car but it still sputtered. The weird part about all of this is that he had also used the Chevron FSC in his 1998 Dodge and it was doing the same thing yesterday except his truck wouldn't start for about 7 hours, now, after just sitting, his starts and runs just fine (so far). My thought is that its the Chevron Fuel Cleaner because that's the only commonality between the 2 vehicles...if not what in the world could this possibly be!? And what should I do? I just put almost $600 in parts into the car tuning it up and replacing a bunch of parts (just last weekend) and now this. The car hasn't thrown any codes and otherwise runs great. I am seriously at a loss and apologize for this being so long. Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Joelene
Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What are you trying to accomplish besides burn up your wire harness?

What information are you following? Was it for the same year as your car? The different year models are not all the same.

We need more information from you.
This is the information where i received it from. I'm not sure if that's one way to do it.

http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Hey everyone, it's been awhile. I've learned a few lessons from being on this forum. So to start, I already checked the search and didn't get a clear answer. I have a 2003 mt maxima. My issue is while driving straight and turning right I get a crazy vibration . Especially when turning. Mind you I did have a front end collision. But the car was fixed.I replaced the passenger side motor mount , all cv joints and hubs and bearings. My car is on 20" rims which I wonder if they play a part. But I'm running out of options. A buddy of mine thinks it's the transmission. I'm hoping it's the front motor mount. Any ideas. Greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to Nissan. (Bank2 Catalytic Converter )

I bought a 2003 . two month ago . I was told to change my Coil and Spark plug . but I didn't listen thought I would do them later. Now its my catalytic converter that I have to change ( bank2 ) . I live in Massachusetts . so it has to be California legal. I check everywhere and couldn't find one . I would be so happy if somebody could help me with that. Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Jeffydrummer
I bought a 2003 . two month ago . I was told to change my Coil and Spark plug . but I didn't listen thought I would do them later. Now its my catalytic converter that I have to change ( bank2 ) . I live in Massachusetts . so it has to be California legal. I check everywhere and couldn't find one . I would be so happy if somebody could help me with that. Thanks
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...al-precat.html
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another 03 no start

I know your prolley sick of seeing this posted...ive read a million different things on what it could be....ok I bought a 03 max with no start..when u start security light stays on...can u still pull codes if battery was pulled? Well I took it to nissan to have key reprogrammed becaz thats what I was told was wrong with it....nissan said they could not communicate with the ecu...would this automatically mean the ecu is bad? Help me please guys
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by upstatenymax03
I know your prolley sick of seeing this posted...ive read a million different things on what it could be....ok I bought a 03 max with no start..when u start security light stays on...can u still pull codes if battery was pulled? Well I took it to nissan to have key reprogrammed becaz thats what I was told was wrong with it....nissan said they could not communicate with the ecu...would this automatically mean the ecu is bad? Help me please guys
sounds like a bad ecu
Old 03-12-2014, 01:25 PM

This is the information where i received it from. I'm not sure if that's one way to do it.

http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html
I am going to do a lot of guessing here because you REFUSE to give the necessary information. Using the small, incomplete amount of information that you gave, here are my guesses at what you have and are trying to do:

You have either a 2002 or a 2003 Maxima.
You are trying to do the "How to rewire fogs to come on without headlights" modification listed on shiftice.com.
You have theoretically followed the directions but the mod is not working.

I can guarantee that if you truly did what the directions told you to do, that mod will work.

So I am back to "you need to give us more information". "It doesn't work" does not tell us what the problem is. How does it not work? I can guess that the fog lights don't work the way you hoped they would, otherwise you would not have posted here. Do the fog lights work at all? Are there any other things that now do not work properly, such as the tail lights? Are you blowing fuses?

Step 6 of the directions says cut the blue wire on the fog light relay. Are you sure you had the fog light relay. It is possible that there is more than one blue wire in that mess.

Step 9 said to connect the blue wire to a red with green stripe wire that is connected to the tail lamp relay. Are you sure you were at the tail lamp relay? One thing that you were not supposed to do is cut the red with green stripe wire. If you did cut the red with green stripe wire, your tail lights will not light up. And depending on what you connected the blue wire to, the fog lights may or may not light up.

Details... tell us... don't keep it a secret.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 PM

I am going to do a lot of guessing here because you REFUSE to give the necessary information. Using the small, incomplete amount of information that you gave, here are my guesses at what you have and are trying to do:

You have either a 2002 or a 2003 Maxima.
You are trying to do the "How to rewire fogs to come on without headlights" modification listed on shiftice.com.
You have theoretically followed the directions but the mod is not working.

I can guarantee that if you truly did what the directions told you to do, that mod will work.

So I am back to "you need to give us more information". "It doesn't work" does not tell us what the problem is. How does it not work? I can guess that the fog lights don't work the way you hoped they would, otherwise you would not have posted here. Do the fog lights work at all? Are there any other things that now do not work properly, such as the tail lights? Are you blowing fuses?

Step 6 of the directions says cut the blue wire on the fog light relay. Are you sure you had the fog light relay. It is possible that there is more than one blue wire in that mess.

Step 9 said to connect the blue wire to a red with green stripe wire that is connected to the tail lamp relay. Are you sure you were at the tail lamp relay? One thing that you were not supposed to do is cut the red with green stripe wire. If you did cut the red with green stripe wire, your tail lights will not light up. And depending on what you connected the blue wire to, the fog lights may or may not light up.

Details... tell us... don't keep it a secret.
Wow i got to write this all over again. I thought it went through but I don't see it. but anywayz ill write it again. sorry about the miss information.
So i do have nissan maxima 2002. It had fog light covers instead of fog lights so i bought a pair. I connected them only to find out that they do not turn on. I thought it would be the fog relay or fuse but it isn't. I believe their no connection or power. I was reading other forums/threads about peoples fog lights and that's where i saw that website with instructions. The person who posted that had problems so I wasn't sure if it the person did it wrong or maybe the instructions werent clear. I want to risk it because it would look nice to have fog lights. for step 9, thanks for instructing it in details. I really didnt know wether to cut the red with green strips wire or not. Is that the best way to do it? I really would like to turn on the headlights along with the fog lights. What are the pros and cons of this? Oh, I have not try doing this yet because I'm afraid of messing the headllights/taillights since they all perfectly work except the fog lights. sorry for the typo

Last edited by egali045; 03-12-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Wow i got to write this all over again. I thought it went through but I don't see it. but anywayz ill write it again. sorry about the miss information.
So i do have nissan maxima 2002. It had fog light covers instead of fog lights so i bought a pair. I connected them only to find out that they do not turn on. I thought it would be the fog relay or fuse but it isn't. I believe their no connection or power. I was reading other forums/threads about peoples fog lights and that's where i saw that website with instructions. The person who posted that had problems so I wasn't sure if it the person did it wrong or maybe the instructions werent clear. I want to risk it because it would look nice to have fog lights. for step 9, thanks for instructing it in details. I really didnt know wether to cut the red with green strips wire or not. Is that the best way to do it? I really would like to turn on the headlights along with the fog lights. What are the pros and cons of this? Oh, I have not try doing this yet because I'm afraid of messing the headllights/taillights since they all perfectly work except the fog lights. sorry for the typo
Since your car did not come with fog lights, it should not have a relay plugged in the box under the hood. It also would not have the switch on the steering column that you would use to turn the fog lights on.

The fog light kit that you could buy from Nissan would have the fog lights, the relay and a new headlight switch that has the extra fog light switch.

The way Nissan designed the lights is that the driver had to turn the fog lights on. They do not come on automatically. And the fog lights would only come on when the head lights were on. The modification on the shiftice website would allow the fog lights to come on while the headlights were off. But you still need the switch on the steering column.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._334930_0_5649
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Since your car did not come with fog lights, it should not have a relay plugged in the box under the hood. It also would not have the switch on the steering column that you would use to turn the fog lights on.

The fog light kit that you could buy from Nissan would have the fog lights, the relay and a new headlight switch that has the extra fog light switch.

The way Nissan designed the lights is that the driver had to turn the fog lights on. They do not come on automatically. And the fog lights would only come on when the head lights were on. The modification on the shiftice website would allow the fog lights to come on while the headlights were off. But you still need the switch on the steering column.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._334930_0_5649
Well I did pick up a relay from the junkyard and put it on my car. So I'm guessing I am going to end up spending money on a kit and install it myself.
Is that the best way to do it? is there another way?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM

Well I did pick up a relay from the junkyard and put it on my car. So I'm guessing I am going to end up spending money on a kit and install it myself.
Is that the best way to do it? is there another way?
I don't know if you can get the fog light kit from Nissan any longer, it may have been discontinued. Besides, you all ready have the lights and the relay, all you need is the switch on the steering column.

You can either visit the junkyard for the steering column or get one from rockauto.com or a local auto store. The junkyard is probably the least expensive.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM

I don't know if you can get the fog light kit from Nissan any longer, it may have been discontinued. Besides, you all ready have the lights and the relay, all you need is the switch on the steering column.

You can either visit the junkyard for the steering column or get one from rockauto.com or a local auto store. The junkyard is probably the least expensive.
Ok I will do thate once i go to the junkyard and get that part.
Another problem I have is that the air bags have been deployed. I went to the junkyard for the wheel and passenger bag one at a time. I have not gotten the computer module, the one where it's install in the center, next to where the driver seat is at. Once I have that, do you know if all I have to do is just disconnect the old one and install the new one however? Is there any special instructions for that ? I'm pretty sure I am going to disconnect the battery but is there any other procedures? Will the airbag light go away?? Is there a sensor in front of the bumper for this type of model of vehicle. --thanks!

-Nissan maxima 2002
Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 PM

Ok I will do thate once i go to the junkyard and get that part.
Another problem I have is that the air bags have been deployed. I went to the junkyard for the wheel and passenger bag one at a time. I have not gotten the computer module, the one where it's install in the center, next to where the driver seat is at. Once I have that, do you know if all I have to do is just disconnect the old one and install the new one however? Is there any special instructions for that ? I'm pretty sure I am going to disconnect the battery but is there any other procedures? Will the airbag light go away?? Is there a sensor in front of the bumper for this type of model of vehicle. --thanks!

-Nissan maxima 2002
There is a "deployment" sensor in the front bumper somewhere. It probably does need to be replaced after an accident. But once you get all good parts, the airbag light in the dash will go out.

The air bag controller module under the console has 2 versions. A car with side airbags uses a different controller that a car without side airbags. They are easy to tell apart. The controller for cars with side airbags will have 2 wire harness connector plugs. The controller for cars without side airbags will have only 1 wire harness connector plug.

See page 17 in the service manual.
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2002/RS.pdf
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 Maxima Valve Covers

So I have an 03 Maxima w/ 112,XXX miles on it. I am planning on replacing both valve covers (using the 04 ones for replacement) and changing the spark plugs. What I couldn't find much info on is if there is anything else I should be checking/replacing/cleaning/etc while doing this other that the spark plugs. With 112k on the car is there anything else that needs replaced, or anything that may need replaced soon I should get out of the way while I have the UIM off?

Also, is there a generally agreed upon cause for the oil burning that plagues our 3.5s? Trying to search for this brings up an absurd amount of info/personal opinions, much of it old. I've read that since the leaking vc's cause oil to pool in spark plug chambers it can account for some burning, but it seems to be generally ruled out as the cause of more moderate oil consumption (like 1qt/700-1k miles). When I start the car up after it sits overnight theres a fairly large plume of oil smoke from the exhaust, which I assume is from the leaking vc's but after warming up there is also smoke in the exhaust, especially on acceleration.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rebuilt Transmission Problem

hi i rebuilt my 03 maxima transmission and im having problems with getting my car to go in to reverse it drives fine goes trough all 4 gears no problem but it wont reverse. i checked the Band servo piston and turns out its not getting oil in it i even took it out turn car on and put it reverse to see if its getting any oil and its not but i have not idea why its not getting oil in. the solenoids we replaced with brand new ones. When i rebuilt the transmission there was no parts left over. the only thing i did not rebuild is the VB i took it apart and inspected it all and cleaned all parts, did not think it needed new parts all looked ok.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi my I30 starts with problems, the scan show me the code P1320 and P0300, I almost sure is a coil problem, but I dont know wich one it is??
Old 03-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by VQUMBIAS
Hi my I30 starts with problems, the scan show me the code P1320 and P0300, I almost sure is a coil problem, but I dont know wich one it is??
You are correct. Those codes are most likely ignition coil problems.

The bad news is that those codes are telling you that multiple cylinders are misfiring. If you would get a P0301, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, that would tell you which cylinder.

You can either replace all 6 ignition coils right now or you can clear the codes and drive the car and keep checking every time the light comes on. It will get worse as time goes on. What you may see is that the check engine light will flash while you are driving. If it does, don't panic. That just means the the engine is mis-firing at that moment.

If you do replace ignition coils, DO NOT buy the 6 for $100 coils on e-bay unless you want to be replacing them i 6 months. Check the classified ads here on Maxima.org. Someone may be selling some used ones. Or check out rockauto.com, the Hanshin brand.

Another cause could be the spark plugs. If they are real worn out, this could be your problem.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New car Noob member P1800?

2nd post here at the forum and new to forums period so I apologize of this question is in wrong section and I did search put maybe not in right spot.
Anyway just got a maxima 2002 about a month ago and had two check engine codes which I took care of now the CEL is gone but a P1800 is stored in the ecu memory I guess , should I replace the VIAS? I don't notice anything in performance that much But I haven't had another 5 gen maxima to compare to or can something else be causing a false p1800 vias code? and in the event ...links to online stores carrying parts, pictures , and DIY welcome! lol , also I might note that car has lots of power but honestly under 3500-4000 rpm seems sorta sluggish but then again nothing to compare to /// thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by FifthGenMax
2nd post here at the forum and new to forums period so I apologize of this question is in wrong section and I did search put maybe not in right spot.
Anyway just got a maxima 2002 about a month ago and had two check engine codes which I took care of now the CEL is gone but a P1800 is stored in the ecu memory I guess , should I replace the VIAS? I don't notice anything in performance that much But I haven't had another 5 gen maxima to compare to or can something else be causing a false p1800 vias code? and in the event ...links to online stores carrying parts, pictures , and DIY welcome! lol , also I might note that car has lots of power but honestly under 3500-4000 rpm seems sorta sluggish but then again nothing to compare to /// thanks in advance!
Some codes don't turn the check engine light on right away. It takes a second occurrence for the light to be illuminated.

You could translate this to be an intermittent problem that has yet to happen a second time or maybe it's one those isolated hiccup things that won't happen again. All you can do is wait and see - unless you have lots of money and don't mind buying stuff that may or may not be needed.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/14956w-...-p-193708.html

Two things:

1) Download the Nissan secvice manual. In section EC (Engine Control) The index has the DTC codes that give you the check engine light. Click on P1800 and read about it. Similarly, if you go to page 24, there is a diagram that shows the location of parts like the VIAS control solenoid valve.

download - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

2) search the 5th gen forum for "VIAS delete". Many people have removed this from the car.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You are correct. Those codes are most likely ignition coil problems.

The bad news is that those codes are telling you that multiple cylinders are misfiring. If you would get a P0301, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, that would tell you which cylinder.

You can either replace all 6 ignition coils right now or you can clear the codes and drive the car and keep checking every time the light comes on. It will get worse as time goes on. What you may see is that the check engine light will flash while you are driving. If it does, don't panic. That just means the the engine is mis-firing at that moment.

If you do replace ignition coils, DO NOT buy the 6 for $100 coils on e-bay unless you want to be replacing them i 6 months. Check the classified ads here on Maxima.org. Someone may be selling some used ones. Or check out rockauto.com, the Hanshin brand.

Another cause could be the spark plugs. If they are real worn out, this could be your problem.
Thanks
Two days ago I checked the coils one by one, removing it to look if the car shakes or not, I noticed that coil 2 and 6 were the problem.
However after doing that, the car stop shaking , runs well, the check engine stops flashing. Maybe it was only like a short circuit or something like that, anyway I still watching it.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by VQUMBIAS
Thanks
Two days ago I checked the coils one by one, removing it to look if the car shakes or not, I noticed that coil 2 and 6 were the problem.
However after doing that, the car stop shaking , runs well, the check engine stops flashing. Maybe it was only like a short circuit or something like that, anyway I still watching it.
Once a coil starts to cause problems, it will never get any better, only worse. You can be proactive and replace those two now and have a nice drive or wait until they fail completely and keep swearing at the lousy performance.

For what it's worth, a misfiring to dead ignition coil reduces the life of your catalytic converter by making it burn all the raw fuel that gets pumped through it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 PM

What's going on guys? I need help with my fog lights. They do not turn on. I replaced bulbs and fuse and checked relay. When I put the tester on the top putting on the actual relay spot, the top prong does not have power but the one to the right of it does. And the other two are ground. Please help.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by e.esco
What's going on guys? I need help with my fog lights. They do not turn on. I replaced bulbs and fuse and checked relay. When I put the tester on the top putting on the actual relay spot, the top prong does not have power but the one to the right of it does. And the other two are ground. Please help.
To start with, please do not post the same problem in more than 1 place.

What you found is sort of correct for when the fog lights are not on.

What kind of tester were you using? I don't know what you mean by top prong. Top is a subjective term.

Remove the relay and look on the bottom of it. There are tiny numbers next to the metal pins.

Pins 1 & 2 work as a pair and pins 3 & 5 work as another pair.

Pin 3 in the relay socket will have 12 volts all the time. This comes from the battery via fuse # 6 in the dash.

Pin # 5 sends the power from pin 3 to the fog lights. You could put a jumper in pins 3 and 5 and the fog lights should light up.

Pins 1 & 2 are used to make the relay work.

Pin # 1 will get 12 volts when the relay for the left hand headlight relay is energized, meaning the headlights are turned on.

Pin # 2 will then get a connection to ground from the fog light switch which energized the fog light relay which causes the for lights to light up.

See page 78 in the EL section of the Nissan FSM for the wiring diagram.
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2003/EL.pdf

Last edited by DennisMik; 03-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

need help please

i have a 2000 maxima v6 auto the trans quit pulling 2nd won't go to 3rd ....i need to replace it i think what year trans will work ? any help would be nice thank you all.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

crazyness

ok I have an odd problem. it started when the coil pack on cylinder 4 went out . I replaced the coil pack and it works fine but another problem started . it sounds like theres a lot of air going in or out I cant tell which ... it used to smoke when I started it up but now it holds oil so im thinking theres barely any oil pressure . the fluids are not mixing and it takes a while to get up to speed ... massive lag . its fine when it idles but pressing the gas is when the noise starts ... and its eating gas at twice the rate ... any suggestions
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM

I just tinted my headlights and i want to tint my orange side markers as well. Will they still project an orange light after I tint them
Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A new Nissan steering rack is around $1200 at the dealer, $850 on line. Part number is 49001-5Y700. It is kind of a big job, requiring several hours of labor. $2200 sounds a little on the high side, but definitely not a rip off price.

Rebuilt racks run between $300 and $400. I couldn't find any new aftermarket racks, so that $1700 price seems way high.

One thing to remember is that a private repair shop will mark up the price of the parts, the dealer does not. The percentage of markup is going to vary from shop to shop.

Since the rack is leaking, you can also get a seal kit and repair yours. Seal kits run around $40-$50. You still have to take the rack off the car and the job takes maybe an hour longer, so the labor charge is than for replacing the rack. But you'll have a hard time finding a mechanic that will do the seals. That requires a little more skill.
DennisMik, Thank you for your reply. It was a big help. Although I have not been able to actually go through with the repair due to a greater issue. I was able to get a dealer to agree to repair with an OEM for under 2K. However, they refused to do the work once they got it in the shop because my radiator support has succumbed to the infamous radiator rust support problem (thanks NISSAN!). They would not take apart the support member because they feared it would crumble in their hands. I am now faced with more repair or trading up the car. I love my Maxima but I think I am done...Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stock Auto Start

I have a 2000 SE and I had stock auto start on it (pressing lock on the pager twice would start it). I had someone look at the alternator once and ever since the auto start hasn't worked. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 PM

teejay1786

hello i was wondering if anyone can tell me why my stock bose system keeps cutting out even with a large ground wire and i have the pac-roem nis 2 still it cuts out why....?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 80sbaybe
I have a 2000 SE and I had stock auto start on it (pressing lock on the pager twice would start it). I had someone look at the alternator once and ever since the auto start hasn't worked. Any ideas?
Nissan did not offer auto start on the car. Someone put an aftermarket kit in it.

Without knowing the brand and model of that auto start kit, can't tell you very much.

In general, look for wires that are not part of the wire harness and see if the ends are connected. Also look for a fuse in the extra wires. But the fuse could be under the hood or it could be under the dash.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by teejay1786
hello i was wondering if anyone can tell me why my stock bose system keeps cutting out even with a large ground wire and i have the pac-roem nis 2 still it cuts out why....?
Do you REALLY have a Bose radio?

The PAC-ROEM NIS2 is something used when you replace the Bose head unit and keep the Bose speakers.

In general, you probably have a loose connection somewhere. If it is radio only that cuts out, maybe the antenna plug is loose. There is a speaker amplifier in the trunk (on the parcel shelf, right side) that if the plug is loose it might be losing power.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM

bose cuts out

ok thx for the reply im sorry bout the large font i did not know that was rude and i apologize i have replaced the head unit yes but everything else is stock ive tried everything and have hooked up many systems only sometimes the bass will cut out thats it and im lost on why i am positive all my connections are good on the stereo but i have a wire that is all metal and flat hanging underneath my car maybe my car is not grounded properly im lost any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Since the website changed I don't know how to create a new thread.... I wonder if anyone knows what part number this is? On an 03 max
Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM

http://rs993.pbsrc.com/albums/af58/a...d1.jpg~320x480
Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ACee
Since the website changed I don't know how to create a new thread.... I wonder if anyone knows what part number this is? On an 03 max
That is part # 22370-2Y50A Nissan calls it "TANK ASSY-PRESSURE"

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...mponentsNo=223

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread