5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
I haven't flashed the computer yet so if I floor it it won't shift past 5-5.5 rpms.
still pointless
let the tranny shift itself
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM

So, I got that Maxima I was looking at last week. '02 Maxima SE 6 speed. Came with an Alpine CDA-9855 HU. The steering wheel controls don't work (which I was expecting with an aftermarket HU), but the Trip button doesn't work either... Do they both go through the factory HU, and if I get the SWRC adapter to get them working, will that make the Trip button work again, or am I going to have to manualy wire from the button, to wherever it has to go? Thanks guys
Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by soonerfan
still pointless
let the tranny shift itself
Shift according to your powerband.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:41 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
So, I got that Maxima I was looking at last week. '02 Maxima SE 6 speed. Came with an Alpine CDA-9855 HU. The steering wheel controls don't work (which I was expecting with an aftermarket HU), but the Trip button doesn't work either... Do they both go through the factory HU, and if I get the SWRC adapter to get them working, will that make the Trip button work again, or am I going to have to manualy wire from the button, to wherever it has to go? Thanks guys
There is an adapter available...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ejJMRsc...0&I=127SWIJACK

Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Great! Too bad Crutchfield doesn't ship to Canada. At least they didn't before. How about my Trip button question? I can get the Trip button working thourgh that SWI-Jack adapter?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM

ground the brown wire for the trip controls..it might have a white strip on the brown wire...its been about 4 years since I grounded mine.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Sweet! Love the helpful information!! Man this thing is fun to drive. My previous car (still have it) 1996 Olds Cutlass Supreme. 3.1L pushrod v6, auto tranny. 0-60 about 10 seconds, LOL! You'll be seeing more questions from me when the time comes, since I do all my own work. Another question.

How do you go about replacing the alternator. I looked at it briefly when I bought the car, and it looks like a really tight fit down there. What's the best way to pull it out? Hopefully don't have to do it anytime soon, but that's what I get for owning early 90's GM vehicles. Alternators are considered regular maintenence. LoL.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Shift according to your powerband.
i do that...i have a manual
Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

i do that...i have a manual
I do too, but have an auto.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I do too, but have an auto.
for daily driving?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

for daily driving?
Nope, just depends on the situation. If the situation arises, 7k will be likely. Or if I want to listen to my cool exhaust note, I'll cruise in a single gear in an enclosed area.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:54 PM
TurtleHead

Sooner,

Do you still have that lower front lip I noticed you installed in the How-To's? If so, how is it holding up?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TurtleHead
Sooner,

Do you still have that lower front lip I noticed you installed in the How-To's? If so, how is it holding up?
its still on there and holding up...at least it was when i dropped it off for my sister to watch while im gone
Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 PM
TurtleHead

its still on there and holding up
Sweet, I know what my next project will be.....after my wife gets her Murano she's been wanting.....bah!

Old 09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Cletus

Sweet, I know what my next project will be.....after my wife gets her Murano she's been wanting.....bah!
fits even better on a 00-01
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
Sweet! Love the helpful information!! Man this thing is fun to drive. My previous car (still have it) 1996 Olds Cutlass Supreme. 3.1L pushrod v6, auto tranny. 0-60 about 10 seconds, LOL! You'll be seeing more questions from me when the time comes, since I do all my own work. Another question.

How do you go about replacing the alternator. I looked at it briefly when I bought the car, and it looks like a really tight fit down there. What's the best way to pull it out? Hopefully don't have to do it anytime soon, but that's what I get for owning early 90's GM vehicles. Alternators are considered regular maintenence. LoL.
Funny, but I traded in my 96 Cutlass for my 03 max. Just be sure and keep along those same lines, son....

Changining the alternator: Disconnect battery. Pull off the front passenger tire and take off belts. Pull out fans and radiator. Unbolt the AC compressor but leave hoses attached. Unbolt alternator and undo wires. Wiggle it out and replace it all. It's a real PIA and takes 3-4 hours.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 PM

Wow, thatt's worse than the GM 3.4L DOHC where the wheel has to come off, and a lot of people say it's a pain. I hope Nissan makes a good alternator, because I'd like mine to keep working. I only have a couple more months of Maxima, then Cutlass is back on the road for the winter, and Maxima waits for spring. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, my alternator broke and i want to get it out to replace it but I can't see how to do it without disconnecting big black the radiator lines at the bottom. I need to get my AC compressor out of the way in order to get to the alternator and those radiator lines are blocking the AC unit. The dumb manual i bought didn't say anything about it.

Does that mean i have to empty the coolant and then disconnect the radiator lines just to replace my alternator? I tried looking for a guide, but they seem to be for 4th gen max's and they don't have this problem. A link or suggestion would help. I can also upload a picture if you don't understand what i'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by dsx724
Hey guys, my alternator broke and i want to get it out to replace it but I can't see how to do it without disconnecting big black the radiator lines at the bottom. I need to get my AC compressor out of the way in order to get to the alternator and those radiator lines are blocking the AC unit. The dumb manual i bought didn't say anything about it.

Does that mean i have to empty the coolant and then disconnect the radiator lines just to replace my alternator? I tried looking for a guide, but they seem to be for 4th gen max's and they don't have this problem. A link or suggestion would help. I can also upload a picture if you don't understand what i'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Dude, look 2-3 posts up from yours.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

haha i'm an idiot. this is gonna suck having to remove the radiator. thanks turtle.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Ok ive been on this site for hours on end and ive probably overlooked what i need, or im just stupid. I want to install my system in my 01 se(just got it 3 days ago) the cheapest way possible. I have all the amps(MRV-F407 & 2 MRV-t757) and speakers(2 sets of Boston 6.5LF, 2 12" Boston subs), and old eclipse CD5442 HU. I would like to keep the steering whell mounted controls, so for now the HU will probably not go in.

I know how to install systems, but you guys definitely know way more about car stereo than i could ever imagine. Should i go out and buy several line output converters, will that even work? Or do i say screw the steering wheel controls, and install the HU and run all new wires?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am definitely here to stay. I love my max and this site. Just did the fog rewire.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Repost this is the audio forum you'll get better feedback. Its on the bottom of the forum main page.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 PM

only problem is that i cant post threads yet since im still very much a noob here
Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 PM

get 3 more posts and you can you only need 15
Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by 01SilverMaxima
Ok ive been on this site for hours on end and ive probably overlooked what i need, or im just stupid. I want to install my system in my 01 se(just got it 3 days ago) the cheapest way possible. I have all the amps(MRV-F407 & 2 MRV-t757) and speakers(2 sets of Boston 6.5LF, 2 12" Boston subs), and old eclipse CD5442 HU. I would like to keep the steering whell mounted controls, so for now the HU will probably not go in.

I know how to install systems, but you guys definitely know way more about car stereo than i could ever imagine. Should i go out and buy several line output converters, will that even work? Or do i say screw the steering wheel controls, and install the HU and run all new wires?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am definitely here to stay. I love my max and this site. Just did the fog rewire.

From the Audio forum:

This is a two step process. First you have to obtain the PAC-SWI adapter from Crutchfield or some other mobile audio dealer. This will allow you to utilize the radio functions on the steering wheel.
Secondly, to regain use of the trip computer (the one with temp, DTE, MPG, etc.) you have to first locate the small wiring harness you removed from the stock deck, but diudn't use in the install of your aftermarket deck. This is a small harness with 4-5 wires in it. One of these wires is brown with a white stripe/marking. This wire must be cut from the harness, the stripped and grounded. I recommend grounding it to the large metal peice below the vents (you can use a small screw or electrical tape), or any other grounding site. This will now give you full use of all steering wheel controls.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM

thanks i really appreciate it, juast went to my local best buy and they didnt have what i needed, oh well guess i gotta wait till tomorrow
Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 AM
the org...not what it was

just wanted to bump this up to the top and get in on page 99
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 AM

99 to you. I see only 74 (on 40 posts per page IIRC).
Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Anyone have any problems with the automatic seats? I just got this 03 GLE and the driver side auto seat won't go back and forth anymore. I just hear it clicking when I push forward or back. Any recommendations?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi,
i own a 2002 maxima with 56K on it...i bought the car for 7500...the guy who owned it was leaving the country and wanted to sell...showed him the cash and got it..its a 6spd manual and the one problem im having that has been bugging me is the mpg...i filled the tank and 168 miles later its gone. i know its a 3.5 but after 168! i have a short ram intake and a catback exhaust on it.. im also getting this code when i reset the ecu. 0455 and 1800. i took it to a shop yesterday cuz of a noise comming from my left front tire everytime i make a turn to the right and they told me it was my bearing shud u replace the spindle or take the bearing out and put a new one in the old spindle? thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 AM

Well, I don't know what's going on here, but I can't find the Search feature on the screen now... I could have swore I used it earlier... Anyways, might as well build up some posts.

I bought a 2002 Maxima SE and it came with 1 key. A couple days later, the dealer called me, and said he found the other key. So I grabbed that too. Both keys open the door, and start the car. But neither of the keys open the trunk... Any ideas what's going on here? Should same key open everything, or is there another key I never got? Can Nissan cut me a key from the VIN number? The 2 keys fit inside just fine, but won't turn left or right... Any help would be great!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by telmohd
0455 and 1800.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=397237
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=342567

my bearing shud u replace the spindle or take the bearing out and put a new one in the old spindle? thanks.
Replace only the bearing, unless the spindle is damaged, which would be highly unlikely.

About the MPG, check it the real way and report back with Miles / gallon numbers.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 AM

hi,
i own a 2002 maxima with 56K on it...i bought the car for 7500...the guy who owned it was leaving the country and wanted to sell...showed him the cash and got it..its a 6spd manual and the one problem im having that has been bugging me is the mpg...i filled the tank and 168 miles later its gone. i know its a 3.5 but after 168! i have a short ram intake and a catback exhaust on it.. im also getting this code when i reset the ecu. 0455 and 1800. i took it to a shop yesterday cuz of a noise comming from my left front tire everytime i make a turn to the right and they told me it was my bearing shud u replace the spindle or take the bearing out and put a new one in the old spindle? thanks.
I dont think you should worry about the spindle. I would worry about replacing the wheel bearing more. And about the mileage, did you have the same mileage before you added the parts, or is this a new thing? It could be caused by a lot of things. check the tire pressure, and the bad bearing can also do a little bit. plus, how is your driving style? if you baby the gas, then something else is wrong, or if your hard on the throttle, then it could be your driving style... There is ALOT more that can be covered, but I will let somebody else chime in.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM

hey guys
sorry but i cannot search for some reason
can anyone tell me how to program the keyless entry remote on my 2002 maxima?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:14 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by SlurpeeKing
hey guys
sorry but i cannot search for some reason
can anyone tell me how to program the keyless entry remote on my 2002 maxima?

REPROGRAM KEY FOB

To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow the steps.

1. Close all doors and lock all doors

2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.
(The hazard warning lamp will then flash.)

NOTE:
Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time.

NOTE:
Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process. The side
marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed.

3. Insert key on ignition key cylinder and turn ignition key switch to "AAC" position.

At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erase.

4. Press any button on the new remote controller once. (The hazard warning lamp will then flash)

NOTE:
Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful.

If there is only one remote controller skip step 5.

5. Additional ID code entry

Release the door lock, then lock again with door lock/unlock switch
(In power window main switch)

6. Remove key from ignition

7. Unlock driver side door, open driver side door and then close the door. (END)

NOTE:
If you need to activate more than two additional new remote controllers, repeat the procedure on step 5 "Additional ID code entry" for each new remote controller.

NOTE:
Entry of maximum four ID codes is allowed and any attempt to enter more will be ignore.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Couple of minor issues with the 03 Max SE right now...just stupid little stuff but wondering if anyone else has had issues with it. The sub woofer casing from the premium audio Bose system has come loose and rattles and shakes even when the stereo isnt on, has anyone dealt with this? Any way to solve it? Also...there is a weird suspension squeak kinda noise when i hit any bumps on the road, kinda sounds like metal on metal coming from the rear of the car. Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:10 PM
TurtleHead

Anyone got a part # for the auto-dimming/compass rearview mirror? None of the links in the stickies work anymore since the site went down. Does Nissan use Gentex for their mirrors? Looking for a place to get the mirror and harness for a reasonable price. Thanks!

'01 Max

Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 PM

REPROGRAM KEY FOB

To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow the steps.

1. Close all doors and lock all doors

2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.
(The hazard warning lamp will then flash.)

NOTE:
Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time.

NOTE:
Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process. The side
marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed.

3. Insert key on ignition key cylinder and turn ignition key switch to "AAC" position.

At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erase.

4. Press any button on the new remote controller once. (The hazard warning lamp will then flash)

NOTE:
Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful.

If there is only one remote controller skip step 5.

5. Additional ID code entry

Release the door lock, then lock again with door lock/unlock switch
(In power window main switch)

6. Remove key from ignition

7. Unlock driver side door, open driver side door and then close the door. (END)

NOTE:
If you need to activate more than two additional new remote controllers, repeat the procedure on step 5 "Additional ID code entry" for each new remote controller.

NOTE:
Entry of maximum four ID codes is allowed and any attempt to enter more will be ignore.

Thank you very much
really appreciate it, my remote($5 off of ebay) works like a charm
Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by SlurpeeKing
Thank you very much
really appreciate it, my remote($5 off of ebay) works like a charm

No problem! Nissan would have charged you a whole lot more too do it themselves.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 PM

No problem! Nissan would have charged you a whole lot more too do it themselves.
haha
they were gonna charge me $89 for the remote and $49 for the programming
eBay and your help saved me $135

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread