5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can anyone point me to a fog light bulb thread. I need to replace fog light bulbs and I want them to match the stock HID headlights as much as possible with a direct replacement bulb. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 AM

Does anyone have pics of a single-din install in an 00/01 maxima?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help. I did the search and read up of the site but couldn't find anything close to the problem I'm having. So here goes,
2000 maxima se automatic with 140,000 miles
Oil changed at 139,000
New rebuild transmition 2 weeks ago
Two new front tires aligned and balanced

Problem #1. Most times under medium to hard acceleration the car shakes/wobbles. The closes thing I can describe to you would be the feeling of wheels needing an alignment. The funny thing is when you let off the gas it's nice and smooth. Another thing I noticed is it's more evident in first and second gear. It can't be the transmition because I just got a new rebuilt tranny two weeks ago.
The second problem I’m having is the engine multiple misfiring code P1320. I got new coils from AutoZone but that didn't solve the problem. One day the engine shook severely and I got the code that said cylinder 3 was misfiring so I popped the hood, started messing around and jiggled the harness for coil #3 and everything was fine until it happens again. After I jiggle coil#3 it would run excellent for 2-3 day and it then it would come up again. So I’ve been doing that ever since. I think the problem is the harness not making up to the ignition coil. From doing research on here the recommended fix would be the updated coils and new spark plugs. I’m definitely going to do that as soon as I have the money. So getting back to the real problem, even when the engine is running excellent without the misfiring code or engine shaking I would still have the problem that I mentioned initially which is the wobbling/shaking under medium to hard acceleration. What do you guys think is the problem and do you guys think there is a relation between the first and second problem im having. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lei2theMax
Need help. I did the search and read up of the site but couldn't find anything close to the problem I'm having. So here goes,
2000 maxima se automatic with 140,000 miles
Oil changed at 139,000
New rebuild transmition 2 weeks ago
Two new front tires aligned and balanced

Problem #1. Most times under medium to hard acceleration the car shakes/wobbles. The closes thing I can describe to you would be the feeling of wheels needing an alignment. The funny thing is when you let off the gas it's nice and smooth. Another thing I noticed is it's more evident in first and second gear. It can't be the transmition because I just got a new rebuilt tranny two weeks ago.
The second problem I’m having is the engine multiple misfiring code P1320. I got new coils from AutoZone but that didn't solve the problem. One day the engine shook severely and I got the code that said cylinder 3 was misfiring so I popped the hood, started messing around and jiggled the harness for coil #3 and everything was fine until it happens again. After I jiggle coil#3 it would run excellent for 2-3 day and it then it would come up again. So I’ve been doing that ever since. I think the problem is the harness not making up to the ignition coil. From doing research on here the recommended fix would be the updated coils and new spark plugs. I’m definitely going to do that as soon as I have the money. So getting back to the real problem, even when the engine is running excellent without the misfiring code or engine shaking I would still have the problem that I mentioned initially which is the wobbling/shaking under medium to hard acceleration. What do you guys think is the problem and do you guys think there is a relation between the first and second problem im having. Thanks in advance for your help.
Regarding the first problem...have you checked your motor mounts? Also, I know one of my tires is slightly warped so no matter how good my alignment is, the car still pulls.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes...the motor mount on the right passenger side was busted. I had that replace. All the rest seem to be ok. I forgot to mention that that's another thing i plan to replace all together. as soon as i have the funding. I'll definitely get the mounts checked out again and then look into the tires warping. any other ideas of what it might possibly be? Thanks again
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wheel and Tire Advice for '01 SE

Someone is offerring me a good deal on these wheels and tires:

G-Games 99b Rims made by Rays
19x8.5"
+25mm offset
Bolt pattern of 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
Each rim is only 21 lbs.
Gunmetal with a polished lip
255/30-19 Toyo T1-R tires

I am in need of new tires bad and instead of putting new rubber on my stock rims I figured this would be a great option for the price. My car has stock suspension and I have no plans of lowering it in the near future. Will I experience any rubbing? According to the tire calculator it's 3.22% off of stock which is slightly higher than the 3% they reccommend.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM

i got service engine codes p0138 and p0139 what do i do?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solebreaker
i got service engine codes p0138 and p0139 what do i do?
search

Have you tried clearing the code? Since ive had my o2 sim these codes have popped up a few times. You can use a dual o2 sim in combination with a resistor to simulate the heater wire, that should work. But you might just want to buy a new o2 sensor.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM

how much does a o2 sensor usually cost? i just need 1 right?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Both of those codes refer to "Bank 1 Sensor 2" (look here), so you only need one. I don't remember offhand how much they cost.

Norm
Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM
TurtleHead

bump..........

Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Im planning on draining my trans fluid and refilling it. Does anyone know how many quarts of oil i will need to do so in an 02 6 speed?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by 6SPD02SE
Im planning on draining my trans fluid and refilling it. Does anyone know how many quarts of oil i will need to do so in an 02 6 speed?
Here ya go.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/redline_mt90.html

Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Q: Can someone direct me to some threads regarding different options for intake systems? I'm looking for things like:

Comparisons between stock filter vs. K&N Panel filter vs. CAI vs. Hybrid intakes (whatever those are, exactly) in terms of price, hp increase, difficulty of installation, etc. Also any relevant how-to's are of course always welcome.

With the website search functions not working, I feel like a kid who can't reach the cookie jar on the table... all this info is so close, but i just can't reach it!

Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by Armon
Q: Can someone direct me to some threads regarding different options for intake systems? I'm looking for things like:

Comparisons between stock filter vs. K&N Panel filter vs. CAI vs. Hybrid intakes (whatever those are, exactly) in terms of price, hp increase, difficulty of installation, etc. Also any relevant how-to's are of course always welcome.

With the website search functions not working, I feel like a kid who can't reach the cookie jar on the table... all this info is so close, but i just can't reach it!

Thanks

These are the ony two links I could come up with off hand. Until they fix all the links and such, it's hard finding anything.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=355219

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=319353

Old 10-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman420
When you click on the link and get sent to the wrong page. In the address bar, change "showthread" to "oldthread" and that will usually get you to the right page. Don't know if this will always be the case, but has worked for me for a lot of the FAQ links.
This is a great suggestion that I happened to overlook a few pages ago. It helped me answer my own question and find this: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=41754

Also, thanks for the additional links Turle
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Okay, after a few hours of extensive searching, my question has evolved a little.

From what I've seen, I like the "Hybrid" intakes the best. I don't want to cut anything for a CAI, or have it exposed to water from the road. On the other hand, I like the idea of moving the filter away from the engine a little.

The question is, which to get? My searches indicate that the Frankencar and the MonsterFlow (which can be combined with a mid-pipe I believe) are good choices.

I've also come across the Weapon-R "Secret Weapon" intake which, despite the cheesy name, has some convincing evidence on the flow testing page of their website. The only issue is that they seem to be "universal fit," which may be a disaster depending on the car.

So, in summary:
1) Any thoughts on which type of hybrid intake is the best?
2) Places to buy?
3) Anyone know if this Weapon-R intake fits, and if so, is it worth $200?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 AM

2000 Maxima GLE

One of my leds in my halo headlights are out. Can it be replaced? If so, do you have to remove the housing to get inside. The brand is JDM and has 2 halo rings on each headlight.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Cletus

Thanks
http://www.berktechnology.com/
Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have searched and haven't seen any posts regarding exterior mirrors. Has anyone replaced their mirrors with aftermarket mirrors? I have managed to break the mirror (glass) as well as the plastic outer shell. The inner workings are still there and functional. The current mirrors are power and unheated. I would like to upgrade to a heated mirror perhaps with turn signal indicators. Can a rewire my '01 to run a Kool Vue heated mirror? Are those any good? Any recommendations? I saw a post where someone upgraded to auto fold-in mirrors...would mirrors from a current gen model fit a 5th gen? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM

2k window switch lights

who has changed their switch light on a 2k maxima and how ?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Can anyone with cold air intakes tell me how they installed them and what kind they have?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by MoeBelikeMax
who has changed their switch light on a 2k maxima and how ?
I don't understand? The handle switch that controls the blinker and lights? If so, remove the cheap plastic shrouds around the stearing wheel and then the switch is screwed in. Takes about 5-10 mins.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 PM

yes i am looking to seafoam my 2000 Max....my friend dis his 95 and i was interested in doin mine but i wanted to know was there any difference from doing the 95 and the 2000..he did his through his vacuum line and i was wondering if that was good for my model and any pros and cons about doin the seafoam thanks....
Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
yes i am looking to seafoam my 2000 Max....my friend dis his 95 and i was interested in doin mine but i wanted to know was there any difference from doing the 95 and the 2000..he did his through his vacuum line and i was wondering if that was good for my model and any pros and cons about doin the seafoam thanks....

Easy. Remove the large rubber hose from the brake booster (drivers side firewall. Pour in 1/3 - 1/2 I believe. Just follow directions on can. I just did it again last week. Seems to be running smoother now and some better MPG.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:18 PM

thanx man jus making sure.....but it seems pretty easy i think me and my boy he has a 02 and we'll prob go half on a bottle....appreciate it....
Old 10-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Can anyone with cold air intakes tell me how they installed them and what kind they have?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Can anyone point me to a fog light bulb thread. I need to replace fog light bulbs and I want them to match the stock HID headlights as much as possible with a direct replacement bulb. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks.
if you want to match the stock hid look, go with hid kit for the fogs. i have 6000k matching set looks cool. i think i paid like 229 for the whole kit
Old 10-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lapuga
I have searched and haven't seen any posts regarding exterior mirrors. Has anyone replaced their mirrors with aftermarket mirrors? I have managed to break the mirror (glass) as well as the plastic outer shell. The inner workings are still there and functional. The current mirrors are power and unheated. I would like to upgrade to a heated mirror perhaps with turn signal indicators. Can a rewire my '01 to run a Kool Vue heated mirror? Are those any good? Any recommendations? I saw a post where someone upgraded to auto fold-in mirrors...would mirrors from a current gen model fit a 5th gen? Thanks!
try these, will fit your car will require some of your own wiring, not heated but a very nice product
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...spagenameZWD1V
Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by atlridin
2000 Maxima GLE

One of my leds in my halo headlights are out. Can it be replaced? If so, do you have to remove the housing to get inside. The brand is JDM and has 2 halo rings on each headlight.
yes the l.e.d. ring can be replaced, you will have to remove the headlight from the car and remove the lens from the housing GL

Q: Can someone direct me to some threads regarding different options for intake systems?
How about the Stillen intake, easy to install, about 129$. good performance
Old 10-22-2007, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
yes the l.e.d. ring can be replaced, you will have to remove the headlight from the car and remove the lens from the housing GL

How about the Stillen intake, easy to install, about 129$. good performance
Tell me more my friend :]
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
Tell me more my friend :]
well i bought one 6 months ago i love it, the installation was straight forward
i believe its considered warm air intake because its filter location is close to the MAF sensor and draws in warm engine air. However there is noticeable difference in sound and throttle response. (if that could be improved cause its fast response already) A lot of people here have the berk intake which i have never tired so thats always an option too, hope it helps
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM

Suede Headliner

Has anyone here ever done a suede headliner themselves?? If so any links on how to get the headliner out, where i could get the material from, tips on installing it??
Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SE My 6sp
Has anyone here ever done a suede headliner themselves?? If so any links on how to get the headliner out, where i could get the material from, tips on installing it??
why
Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM

Does anyone have a supercharger installed on their 5.5 gen? Or are there any bolt on supercharger packages available for the 5.5 gen? i have an 03 SE 6spd, and want more power without using nitrous. Is there anyone out there running a custom supercharger setup on a 5.5gen? And could you let know know what info you guys have about the topic?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by rocketsled
Does anyone have a supercharger installed on their 5.5 gen? Or are there any bolt on supercharger packages available for the 5.5 gen? i have an 03 SE 6spd, and want more power without using nitrous. Is there anyone out there running a custom supercharger setup on a 5.5gen? And could you let know know what info you guys have about the topic?
Not at the current moment. Check the FI forum for 2 possible solutions.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Ahhhh I accidentally messed up when spraying my hood with auto spray to seal a rust spot and got some on the surrounding area, how do I get it off? lol
Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by kgallerie

Thanks.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=408094
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some help with reverse lights and license plate issues. I have a 5 speed AE with 110,000 miles... the reverse lights and plate lights doesn't work. I checked the fuse and the bulb and they are fine. The license plate lights had been working and it stopped about 3 days. As for the reverse lights, its not been working since i bough.... thats about 4 months ago. I would appreciate any help.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by nelisei
Need some help with reverse lights and license plate issues. I have a 5 speed AE with 110,000 miles... the reverse lights and plate lights doesn't work. I checked the fuse and the bulb and they are fine. The license plate lights had been working and it stopped about 3 days. As for the reverse lights, its not been working since i bough.... thats about 4 months ago. I would appreciate any help.
id check the socket where the license plate bulbs go for voltage, maybe theres corrision, i had some from frequent car washes, as for the reverse lights sounds like the neutral safety switch is bad.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread