5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Saggy Door Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Take the time to read the thread and you may find what you're looking for. Post #21.

Where's John's spoonfeeding jpeg?
Originally Posted by Rochester
I can't read every thread that comes back to life. The spoonfeeding baby is in my image gallery... go play.

However, good to know this simple trick. Better a 50 cent washer than an hour's labor at the dealership.

Ohai.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM

My god this should be in the stickies. Thanks again maxima.org, another cheap fix!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Just wanted to throw my two cents in here while this was still on the front page. I actually found this while searching my problem a few months back. Sure enough, this little cheap trick worked and is still holding two months down the line. I fact it works so well that I forgot about it until I saw this thread on the front page.

If you're having trouble with your hinges try this first. I was scared at first to put the washers in because you have to take the door pretty much off of that bottom hinge but it's really not bad. If I can do it then anybody can
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM

They sell a tool for this, my uncle has one at his shop....not sure whats its called....but it fixed both my doors in 2 seconds!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 PM
RR5

This? http://www.amazon.com/Door-Alignment.../dp/B003JISO7Q
Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Ugh, why didn't I even think about doing this before? This has always bothered me about my driver's side door. Glad to know there are simple solutions out there. One of us just has to put it to paper (.org). Thanks for making my brain work.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My sagging door

I tried posting a reply to this but it came up on a different page or thread or whatever??? but just wanted to Thank NismoAce for the info on putting washers on nthe bottom hinge. I thought it would just misalign the door but it didn't. It worked perfectly. Quick easy fix and closes like new.

Thanks again Dave
Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
RR5

This thread should be in the How-To section at least.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM

I finally replaced the door hinges last night on my maxima... the best "mod" I have ever done... for everyone out there just replace the hinge and be done with once you take the old hinges out and inspect them you will understand why I decided to replace them vs trying washes or other methods... Do it once, do it the correct way just my $.02
Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Post pictures of old and new, very interested.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Why replace the whole hinge when the washers work just fine? I'm cheap, I know...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DaveD
I tried posting a reply to this but it came up on a different page or thread or whatever??? but just wanted to Thank NismoAce for the info on putting washers on nthe bottom hinge. I thought it would just misalign the door but it didn't. It worked perfectly. Quick easy fix and closes like new.

Thanks again Dave
Your welcome. Such an easy fix. My fix is still perfect btw
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
what size washers as there are many different sizes?
Thanks to the good ideas on this site I tried taking a couple of those red garden hose washers (to keep hose from leaking) and made a cut to allow the washer to be put in place without taking the door off. I loosened the bottom hinge nuts almost completely off with a 12mm open end wrench. May need a rubber hammer to get the nut started (tap down to loosen). Before all that I opened the door all the way and placed a jack with wood blocks under the door and jacked it up just enough to take all the weight off but not lift the car much. Once the nuts were loose on bottom hinge only I slipped the cut washer behinde the hinge between door and hinge and re-tightened. Tightened the nuts back up, released the jack and Thud went the door. It now hangs very nicely and no worry about rust. Time 5 min, cost under $1.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Done this three weeks ago and the results are new door feel. Love it.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM

About two and a half years since I posted this and My door is still perfect. I have a feeling if I would have replaced it with a brand new hinge I would be back at square one with a saggy door. The part prob has give and once its gets to that point it dont give anymore so the washer is the perfect fix.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Man, I'm glad I found this post. Was so annoyed having to tell passengers to re-close the door because it didn't close all the way. Thanks OP!

Mods: Put this in How-Tos!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Anybody have the pics on how to do the fix. They are not showing (at least for me in this thread and not in the thread that I clicked through from post 21
Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bennuss
Anybody have the pics on how to do the fix. They are not showing (at least for me in this thread and not in the thread that I clicked through from post 21
This is on my 4th Gen but the 5th Gen should be the same thing. All pics are of the BOTTOM hinge. You don't need to do anything to the top hinge.

This pic is showing the measurement of the washer..the washer has a blue mark on it since it's kind of hard to see with all the grease
Name:  IMAG1116.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  73.8 KB

This is before the washer fix
Name:  IMAG1115.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  77.6 KB

This is after the fix...put a washer on both the top and bottom hinge stud.
Name:  IMAG1114.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  127.0 KB

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 08-14-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM

Did you put a washer on top and bottom screw of the bottom hinge?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bennuss
Did you put a washer on top and bottom screw of the bottom hinge?
Yes I did...that way it lifts the whole bottom part of he door. I've had mine like that for 10 months and still no issues.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM

are the studs tapered? cant you just loosen the nuts a little, adjust the door up, and then tighten the nuts down?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM

I get what your trying to do but it wont work. The bottom needs to come out a little. Not up. U can losen and side washers behind then tighten. Its the easiest way.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by NismoAce
I get what your trying to do but it wont work. The bottom needs to come out a little. Not up. U can losen and side washers behind then tighten. Its the easiest way.
word could prolly dremel the washer so its a horseshoe shape, and then you can jsut loosen the door and just slide the washer in place rather than take the hinges all the way off the studs.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 PM

U can but there is plenty flat space to but te washer in without needing to go around the bolt.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM
ATL

i was sitting here twiddling thumbs and ran across this thread. i went in garage found some garden hose washers. i cut a slit in them, loosened then bottom 2 nuts, then put alittle pressure on door with jack. i dont think it even took 5 mins and door shuts like new
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ATL
i was sitting here twiddling thumbs and ran across this thread. i went in garage found some garden hose washers. i cut a slit in them, loosened then bottom 2 nuts, then put alittle pressure on door with jack. i dont think it even took 5 mins and door shuts like new
Some funny ****...

...you inspired me to go see what I had in the garage. I've been contemplating doing this for years but never had enough motivation.

Found some lock washers, unbolted bottom hinge, supported with stool, small 2x4 and then slowly removed top bolts and kept adding shims until the lower two bolts came out of the hinge. Slid on the lock washers, then slower removed the shims a couple at a time until I could tighten the top bolts up, then removed all support and let the door back on the lower hinge. Tightened all 4 bolts and voila' 15 mins later no more sag.

Not to mention, 2brosgixxer thanks for the pictures. That always inspired me.

"Picture Pages, Picture Pages, Time to get your Picture Pages, Time to get your crayons and your pencils..."
Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by NismoAce
U can but there is plenty flat space to but te washer in without needing to go around the bolt.
right. but it seems like people are unbolting the entire door at the hinges, moving it out to put the washers in their correct places, and then bolting the door back up, which would result in some pain in the *** time re-aligning the door no? or wait the studs for the hinges are tapered and self centering it says in this thread right?

my bad for my lack of memory or whatever, i had this thread read last night but i was on a few xanex and my short term memory is **** on them. ive never taken our door off the way thats being discussed in this thread. ive done it to many other cars tho where the bolts werent self centering, which once you take the door off it takes half-hour to an hour sometimes of loosening-aligning-tightening to get the door back on correctly.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
right. but it seems like people are unbolting the entire door at the hinges, moving it out to put the washers in their correct places, and then bolting the door back up, which would result in some pain in the *** time re-aligning the door no? or wait the studs for the hinges are tapered and self centering it says in this thread right?

my bad for my lack of memory or whatever, i had this thread read last night but i was on a few xanex and my short term memory is **** on them. ive never taken our door off the way thats being discussed in this thread. ive done it to many other cars tho where the bolts werent self centering, which once you take the door off it takes half-hour to an hour sometimes of loosening-aligning-tightening to get the door back on correctly.
This is how I got it done.

Drove to a parking garage because its wide open and level.

Used a floor jack, lift up the drivers door with the two 12 mm nuts removed from the lower hinge. Once the door/car started to lift up I loosened the nuts from the top hinge. After a raising the door a bit more, the door came free from the hinge and allowed me to pop on the washers.

Lower the door SLOWLY until I was able to get the bottom hinges nuts back on, then tightened everything down.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 AM
ATL

^^^ i thought about doing it that way but was worried that id have to tilt the door so much to get the lower studs out, that it would damage the little plastic arm in middle of the door. i was too lazy to go get more tools to remove that
Old 09-08-2012, 09:45 AM

oh so youre only taking the lower hinge bolts completely off? and then youre loosening the top and jacking the door up on an angle till only the bottom hinge comes off the studs? i got it. and the studs are tapered right so they self center when you tighten the nuts back down?

one question, when you jack your door up until the car starts to lift, arent you afraid of doing damage to your door skin? those things are literally sheet metal.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ATL
^^^ i thought about doing it that way but was worried that id have to tilt the door so much to get the lower studs out, that it would damage the little plastic arm in middle of the door. i was too lazy to go get more tools to remove that
with the method hes saying, and the concern you have(due to the fact that its hard to tell what youre talking about as far as little plastic arm) but everyone should probably just unbolt their check strap before doing this. its something that could definitely bend and would hold your door back from getting up on the angle you want it to.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM
RR5

You just lift using the jack slowly and once the door comes free from the lower hinge stop. I seen someone mention here to remove that little black arm but I didn't want to.

Probably sounds or looks way worse than it actually is.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 AM

oh i feel you completely. i just always use my knee and another persons help when maneuvering a door, never a jack for fear of messing up a brand new doorskin!

but yeah unbolting that check strap would probably make the job easier on you, and theyre beyond easy.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can't find a dang pin anywhere

Just bought a 2000 se knowing the hinge was worn a bit. Didn't care too much. Its becoming a pain in my ***, considering no one carries a pin. Just wanted to know how it worked out over the past two years cause I have washers on hand and might attempt this fix
Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Still no issues for me. And its been years since i did this.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:10 AM
Black Lion

door sag 4th gen

ok so I'm posting here to let people know what a pain in the *** this is to do alone with a jack. I probably should have done more reading before fixing my driver side sag, I didn't realize you may only have to loosen the bottom 2 nuts and slide a washer in and be done. I can tell you that that approach will most likely fix the door sag. What I did was, purchased 2 door hinges and thought I can do this opening door all the way and access the bolts without much effort...( read some misguided info and I admit I didn't read enough before attempting this ) WRONG! I had to partially remove the quarter panel just to get at the bolts, used 2 jacks, and ladder with a large brick to hold the door where I needed, yup! I had to be creative.. 3 hours later I changed both door hinges to still have a freaking door sag!! I was pissed .. and I didn't see a picture someone posted here in this thread that was the most helpful since pictures speak a million words.

Ultimately, I found a video on youtube of someone using a wood 2x2 and jamming in the bottom corner of the door and slowly applying pressure, closing the door.. ( do this slowly ) and BOOM! that fixed my issue. I can see that doing this raised the door back in alignment where it needed to be. After 3 hours changing both door hinges, I fixed the issue in a few minutes after watching the youtube video. This pretty much does the same thing as adding washers on the bottom of the door hinge. I bent a little bit of the side framing on the door but you can't see anything since you have to take off the inside door panel to do this.. if you do this without taking off the door panel then you will surely mess something up. So there you have it!.. take whatever approach you feel will fix your issue but in my opinion, using the wood is easier than messing with the bolts for the door hinges; its much easier to take off the door panel than messing around with the door hinges. I hope this helps someone else out there. Peace.