5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Misfire/code immediately following service

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM

New Misfire/code immediately following service

Took my 03 max to Big O tire for basic service. They did an oil change, alignment, put on 2 new tires, and I had them replace the air filter as well.

immediately upon pulling out I thought something felt “weird” but I was in a hurry and didn’t over analyze. I drive about 10 miles on the highway to my next appointment and when I pull in to park it is obviously running rough......as in it feels like I’m on 5 cylinders rough.

After appointment i pull back out of the space and it’s still running rough but no CEL is on. Then as I pull out into traffic and begin to accelerate I feel and hear it actively missing and the CEL is blinking. I’ve got an OBD reader on my car tied to an app on my phone so I pull up the diagnostic and it shows a “pending” P0305 code cylinder 5 misfire. Meanwhile I’m back at highway speed and CEL has since stopped blinking and remained off. As I pull up to the next red light I clear the codes. Engine still sounds and feels like it’s missing at idle but nothing from the CEL. Light turns green and as I accelerate it’s the same story as before, definitely missing and CEL is blinking again. Pending code P0305 comes up again for misfire in #5

I’m gonna take it back tomorrow and have them look at it again. The timing of this happening immediately post-service is suspicious, but I’m sure that it has happened before that something died at the exact moment of a car being in the shop for something unrelated. The fact that it’s cyl 5 (right on the back corner by the air filter and intake) makes it more suspicious. I swear that I’ve done the air filter before and it didn’t involve much messing around or disassembly back there that could potentially have knocked something loose.

Anything thoughts on what I need to be aware of? Had a convo with the service mgr and I’m gonna take it back to them tomorrow morning if I can’t get it figured out tonight.

​​​​​​​thanks!

Old 08-08-2018, 05:57 AM

First thing to do is stop clearing the codes. Its not fixing anything, just causing confusion. I doubt that service caused anything unless they spilled oil, or didn't secure the air box and MAF correctly. Just take a look in the areas they serviced. I would order a new Hitachi coil from wherever you can get it cheapest. No other brand, Hitachi only. Should have a spare regardless if it fixes it, which it should. Replace then drive, see if the code disappears after 50 miles. Thats how you know its really fixed. Clearing codes just leave you wondering. If after its fixed the code is pending, then clear if you want.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Administrator

First thing to do is check all your connections at the coilpacks and injectors. Possible they sabotaged you by disconnecting one, thus causing your issues....