5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Control Arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Control Arm replacement

All,

Last night I replaced the passenger side control arm (with ball joint, etc) and since I never did this before, it took me and my dad quite a while. When looking at a video today, I saw that you can remove the 3 nuts under the front bushing which holds up the bolt that goes into the front of the LCA. What me and my dad did was to knock the LCA forward while we were under the car. It didn't take much to remove but is it necessary to remove those 3 bolts? I see its a bit easier but in a video someone said that you have to keep the LCA level while reinstalling the bolts so you can keep the alignment the same?

So my question is, do you take out the 3 bolts or just smash out the LCA?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Andrew
All,

Last night I replaced the passenger side control arm (with ball joint, etc) and since I never did this before, it took me and my dad quite a while. When looking at a video today, I saw that you can remove the 3 nuts under the front bushing which holds up the bolt that goes into the front of the LCA. What me and my dad did was to knock the LCA forward while we were under the car. It didn't take much to remove but is it necessary to remove those 3 bolts? I see its a bit easier but in a video someone said that you have to keep the LCA level while reinstalling the bolts so you can keep the alignment the same?

So my question is, do you take out the 3 bolts or just smash out the LCA?
WHAT?! You remove the castle nut, remove the big nut on the front, remove the big bolts on the swivel arm, then the two rear bolts around the bushing. It just drop out.

I just bolt the new one in. I don't see how it matters, b/c preload won't do anything. You will need an alignment probably if one was done with the bushings bad.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-02-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:12 PM

I've tried it like the op had done but found it better to unbolt the link pin because then the impact wrench takes off the nut with ease. Fitting wrenches on it on the car is tight without lots of ground clearance.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Bad *** Newb

I forgot the end link. That's the only hard part part, b/c of rust. Odds are it needs replaced, anyway. If it's a pain in the ***, I just cut it off, then work on the top one.

Yes, absolutely use an impact. There's no point even bothering with anything on a car without one. It's the best 150ish you'll ever spend.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-02-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
WHAT?! You remove the castle nut, remove the big nut on the front, remove the big bolts on the swivel arm, then the two rear bolts around the bushing. It just drop out.

I just bolt the new one in. I don't see how it matters, b/c preload won't do anything. You will need an alignment probably if one was done with the bushings bad.
That what I didn't do. Unbolt the big bolts from the swivel arm. My dad and I were using a long pipe and a sledge hammer to take the LCA off that long stem/bolt in the front with the bushing. I didn't know to take off the 3 bolts under the LCA.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

That what I didn't do. Unbolt the big bolts from the swivel arm. My dad and I were using a long pipe and a sledge hammer to take the LCA off that long stem/bolt in the front with the bushing. I didn't know to take off the 3 bolts under the LCA.
Yeah, too much work with hand tools.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Yeah, too much work with hand tools.
So we did it differently this time because on the driver side we couldn't get a ratchet to take off the big bolt in front of the LCA. We took down all the bolts and I can't say it was easier but it was better than hammering the LCA over that bolt. We needed a jack to hold the LCA up and then line up the bolts.
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2018, 06:13 PM

I've read where some have stripped the threads on the 4 bolts holding that pin on. While I've not had a problem, I've taken it easy and threaded them by hand quite a bit.

Be super careful on those bolts.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
I've read where some have stripped the threads on the 4 bolts holding that pin on. While I've not had a problem, I've taken it easy and threaded them by hand quite a bit.

Be super careful on those bolts.
yea i wouldn't care about the bolts though cause I would have bought new ones but as long as the body/frame was in tact, we would still be golden
Old 09-03-2018, 11:10 PM

Yeah start those link pin bolts by hand or make a real Pain in the A$$ for yourself...
Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM

yea i wouldn't care about the bolts though cause I would have bought new ones but as long as the body/frame was in tact, we would still be golden
Whatever you do........Just. Don't. Cross thread. Those. Bolts. And.The. Holes!!!!!!! ))))))))
Old 09-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Whatever you do........Just. Don't. Cross thread. Those. Bolts. And.The. Holes!!!!!!! ))))))))
I made sure to hand tighten the bolts almost all the way until I needed the ratchet for the last .5 inch or so
Old 09-06-2018, 03:55 PM

I made sure to hand tighten the bolts almost all the way until I needed the ratchet for the last .5 inch or so
You can't cross thread them once you get them started! But if you don't tighten them evenly or mate/hold the link against the frame you could get the link to bid up if you're not paying attention and it gets cocked, especially with power tools! Good going Andrew!

Last edited by CMax03; 09-06-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

One of my bolt holes was stripped when I removed my control arm pin. There were four bolts holding the control arm pin, I just put the three bolts back in place, leaving the stripped hole alone.

Do I go ahead and have my 4-wheel alignment, or go back and fix the stripped hole?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by reggut
One of my bolt holes was stripped when I removed my control arm pin. There were four bolts holding the control arm pin, I just put the three bolts back in place, leaving the stripped hole alone.

Do I go ahead and have my 4-wheel alignment, or go back and fix the stripped hole?

Not sure if you can fix that. Those holes are part of the chassis and might need someone to tap a new hole or a new chassis!

One of the veterans on the site here can probably answer that for you
Old 03-28-2020, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good enough for alignment

Thanks for the offer.
I will leave the control arm pin with mounted with the three bolts and get the alignment. My reasoning is:
A) The control arm pin is not coming loose.
B) The control arm pin may shift from when I hit a hard bump; however, it would shift with all four bolts in place.
I'm going to plug the missing bolt hole with some electrician's putty, to keep the hole clean.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:13 PM

Heli coil with red thread locker....once that's cured install the bolt with anti-seize....It'll be stronger than OEM. Heli-coils are SS.