6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

TSB responcibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 05:16 PM

TSB responcibility?

If a TSB has been released, is the dealer obligated to do the work on the car(if still under warranty)?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by 04maximaman
responcibility?
uhh... any item covered under warranty is to be fixed by cost of Nissan. TSB just tells dealer how to fix an issue. only use TSB is for us is if dealer tries to play dumb or act like "it's supposed to be like that" then we can print it and call their bluff.

if they give a you hard time, just kindly inform them you're calling Nissan and taking your business elsewhere. (No other dealers nearby?) be more tactful but let them know you are informed, not a push over.

majority of Stealerships SUCK!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:38 PM

This is a touchy subject. While the general consensus is no, many people (including myself) think TSBs should always be done (or at least more often than not). To some people a TSB is like the idea of what the consumer might not know won't kill (or annoy) them. The real problem is the point of inspection. Somthing, or someone must deem it necessary to perform the TSB. I leave with the notion that It is our duty to be as educated as possible, and to stand up for our ownership rights. Demand that the TSB (if it isn't being done). Take action that will secure our PAID rights.

BTW, Don't forget to Vote!!!

Old 10-28-2004, 05:39 PM

Edit: Demand that the TSB (if it isn't being done) be done.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:48 PM

Almost all the dealer will not fix your car unless you pay for it or if your car is still under warranty. They don't honor TSB. The only stuff you will get for free is if you have a service/parts recall from Nissan Motor Company and there is no expiration date on the service recall.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you are having the problems described within a TSB by all means print out a copy for yourself, or at least write down the TSB #. Take your car into the dealership and speak with a service manager not the punk behind the desk who is a service clerk, they usually don't care enough about your car.

Ask the service manager " hey my car started doing ABC, do you know if other cars have had this problem, and if so do you know of a fix?" At this point the service manager will do three things.
1-He'll say no we never have had this problem you are the 1st guy.
2-Yeah I recall something about this.
3-He'll look at you like you are really stupid and wasting your time.

If they answered 1 you hope they do one of these two things..."I'll have my tech take a look at it" or they'll say "Why don't we go for a ride." Hopefully you'll get the second answer and you can take them for a ride and prove to them your problem. At this point you can say yeah I was reading online about others having this problem and there was a mention of the following TSB #...
You get the point..be cool about it.

If the tech takes the car out chances are you will get them saying cannot duplicate/recreat problem. I don't know why this is but that's how it usually happens.

I have noticed that when you take either the tech or the service manager out on a ride stuff gets done because you proved your point and they can't deny it. Try to be cool about this but do it whenever you have the chance!

If they answer number 2 you got a really cool service manager who is willing to do work for you. Usually you won't get the run around on your problem.

If they answered three you have two situations-
The problem is so common they avoid saying anything because they don't want to do the work. They want to appear surprised about the problem like you are the first and then they try to make you feel bad about it. I had this problem with my struts and then with the alignment. Once I took the service manager out things were fixed.

OR

They really don't know, have the TSB number ready or a print out and be cool about it all.

Always thank the service manager about his help. If you are in the shop often, ask them what beer they like. When you show up to pick up your car give em a 12pack/24pack (depends on if you get your booze at Costco/Sams or local) of their favorite stuff and say thanks for being cool and helping me out. You will never again get the run around. You take care of them they take care of you. You may even get those loaners people seem to never get when you bring your car in for future work.

It also helps to get to know the tech that works on your car. Repeat the beer comment on him too. He's the one ultimatley doing the work. He deserves it.

Remember ABC- always be cool.

I hope this advice helps
Old 10-29-2004, 09:17 AM

thanks for the info fellas
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by msoemax
... Once I took the service manager out things were fixed.
Whoa! I guess you mean business!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:07 AM

A TSB is not a recall. If the item would not otherwise be covered under warranty, it will not be covered and paid for simply because a TSB has been sent out about it.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you are in the shop often, ask them what beer they like. When you show up to pick up your car give em a 12pack/24pack (depends on if you get your booze at Costco/Sams or local) of their favorite stuff and say thanks for being cool and helping me out. You will never again get the run around. You take care of them they take care of you.
Hey, is it not bribing? should we bribe someone for doing his duty?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 04maximaman
If a TSB has been released, is the dealer obligated to do the work on the car(if still under warranty)?
I think even if it is not under warranty, the dealers are supposed to do it, as it is from Nissan.

If you notice the TSBs carefully, you can find these "If you confirm the problem....... apply this" . May be some of the dealership take advantage of it and they dont admit the problem.....
Old 10-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by silvermax04
Hey, is it not bribing? should we bribe someone for doing his duty?

No, no one in life should be bribed to do their job. That being said, this is not how the real world works. Actions are based upon favors, sometimes you have to provide more favors for the correct action. Think about that comment because it has several levels of meaning.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:18 PM

If you are having the problems described within a TSB by all means print out a copy for yourself, or at least write down the TSB #. Take your car into the dealership and speak with a service manager not the punk behind the desk who is a service clerk, they usually don't care enough about your car.

Ask the service manager " hey my car started doing ABC, do you know if other cars have had this problem, and if so do you know of a fix?" At this point the service manager will do three things.
1-He'll say no we never have had this problem you are the 1st guy.
2-Yeah I recall something about this.
3-He'll look at you like you are really stupid and wasting your time.

If they answered 1 you hope they do one of these two things..."I'll have my tech take a look at it" or they'll say "Why don't we go for a ride." Hopefully you'll get the second answer and you can take them for a ride and prove to them your problem. At this point you can say yeah I was reading online about others having this problem and there was a mention of the following TSB #...
You get the point..be cool about it.

If the tech takes the car out chances are you will get them saying cannot duplicate/recreat problem. I don't know why this is but that's how it usually happens.

I have noticed that when you take either the tech or the service manager out on a ride stuff gets done because you proved your point and they can't deny it. Try to be cool about this but do it whenever you have the chance!

If they answer number 2 you got a really cool service manager who is willing to do work for you. Usually you won't get the run around on your problem.

If they answered three you have two situations-
The problem is so common they avoid saying anything because they don't want to do the work. They want to appear surprised about the problem like you are the first and then they try to make you feel bad about it. I had this problem with my struts and then with the alignment. Once I took the service manager out things were fixed.

OR

They really don't know, have the TSB number ready or a print out and be cool about it all.

Always thank the service manager about his help. If you are in the shop often, ask them what beer they like. When you show up to pick up your car give em a 12pack/24pack (depends on if you get your booze at Costco/Sams or local) of their favorite stuff and say thanks for being cool and helping me out. You will never again get the run around. You take care of them they take care of you. You may even get those loaners people seem to never get when you bring your car in for future work.

It also helps to get to know the tech that works on your car. Repeat the beer comment on him too. He's the one ultimatley doing the work. He deserves it.

Remember ABC- always be cool.

I hope this advice helps
This is FOR REAL....everything said is SO TRUE. Great post and first hand knowledge from this owning several different cars over the years of various makes. Thanks msoemax.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
SuPeRmOd

No, no one in life should be bribed to do their job. That being said, this is not how the real world works. Actions are based upon favors, sometimes you have to provide more favors for the correct action. Think about that comment because it has several levels of meaning.
TSB sole purpose is to be a "How To Fix" for dealers. Things break. When they do, they figure out how to fix them. Recalls are issued when safety is involved and cost of aftermath out-weighs fixing all cars. Even if your 5/60k is active, but you're passed 36k, if the TSB invovles something only covered uner 3/36k, you pay.

Once warranty expires, Nissan pays for nothing, like every other business. American autos thrive off after warranty work to make $$$. It's the American way. You pay to fix it, or you pay to replace it, and we continue to make money either way, with the exception of recalls.