6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

goodbye maxima, hello ridgeline.. am i doing the right thing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 9Nails
You might be surprised by this, but Ford makes an Explorer Sport Track with the same body style as the Ridgeline. You should take a test drive so you have a clue next time. As far as it being one of the worst SUV's, that's an opinion, and we all know what a**holes and opinions have in common.

OK smartazs but in your comment you said Ford Explorer not sports track, **** for brains. Non the less again your comparing a crap made car to a HONDA. Someone should smack the loose nuts out of your head .

Oh and Ford Explorer is not a Full sized SUV, again add another dumb note to your list.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by belal242
OK smartazs but in your comment you said Ford Explorer not sports track, **** for brains. Non the less again your comparing a crap made car to a HONDA. Someone should smack the loose nuts out of your head .

Oh and Ford Explorer is not a Full sized SUV, again add another dumb note to your list.
Since you're still not getting it, the original post was asking about a Ridgeline. It's a new SUV that Honda's making for 2006. Honda, SUV? Something doesn't sound right there. What's the name for another Honda SUV that they sell? Experience in the SUV market? Honda = None. You're better buying into a company with a proven record in truck/SUV sales instead of an also-ran wishing they had a piece of that market. Especially on their initial attempt to break into the market. Honda does cars right, but Trucks/SUV's? Umm, nope. Vise versa for Ford cars (Mustang is an exception.)

Want to compare dumb notes: I've all ready pointed out that the Ridgeline is not a truck. Yet, you come back suggesting a Titan? Hmm, I hope you're not making decisions that would affect things that are living with that mind of yours. Explorer is a full sized SUV, perhaps you're confusing it with the Large Class SUV's like the Excursion and Suburban. But then again, maybe you're just trying to think of something stupid to say...

You think I'm the one who is not thinking things clearly here, yeah, what ever there TinkerBella...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Explorer is a full sized SUV, perhaps you're confusing it with the Large Class SUV's like the Excursion and Suburban. But then again, maybe you're just trying to think of something stupid to say...

well technically, since the explorer is built on the ranger platform its a mid-size suv. full size would be expedition since its built on the f series platform.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs04SE
well technically, since the explorer is built on the ranger platform its a mid-size suv. full size would be expedition since its built on the f series platform.
I'm thinking Compact SUV, Full Size, and Large Size. But I'll take your mid-size for the Explorer. Sites that classify SUV's show a Large Size or Heavy Duty above the Explorer's class. I wasn't referring to it as being one of those! heh!

Oh, so close on the chassis! You might be thinking about the old Bronco II's which were very similar to the old Rangers...

The Explorer's are built off their own Chassis, inspired by the F-Series trucks.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/200...xplorer_1.html
Old 01-26-2006, 06:07 PM

Famous Dane Cook Quote, "Are you out of your ****ing mind? You really are out of your ****ing mind." LOLOL nah I just had to say that, do whatever floats your boat, I wouldn't do it but your not me lolol.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Since you're still not getting it, the original post was asking about a Ridgeline. It's a new SUV that Honda's making for 2006. Honda, SUV? Something doesn't sound right there. What's the name for another Honda SUV that they sell? Experience in the SUV market? Honda = None. You're better buying into a company with a proven record in truck/SUV sales instead of an also-ran wishing they had a piece of that market. Especially on their initial attempt to break into the market. Honda does cars right, but Trucks/SUV's? Umm, nope. Vise versa for Ford cars (Mustang is an exception.)

Want to compare dumb notes: I've all ready pointed out that the Ridgeline is not a truck. Yet, you come back suggesting a Titan? Hmm, I hope you're not making decisions that would affect things that are living with that mind of yours. Explorer is a full sized SUV, perhaps you're confusing it with the Large Class SUV's like the Excursion and Suburban. But then again, maybe you're just trying to think of something stupid to say...

You think I'm the one who is not thinking things clearly here, yeah, what ever there TinkerBella...

dude stop back pedaling, your original comment is what i commented on, and it was all wrong. Explorers suck, thanks jeff for letting mr know it all know something new, my point exactly. besides did you not see that the Honda Ridgeline won like a million awards, and i think truck of the year if I'm not mistaken, so i think someone in Honda is making the truck right. Sorry cant say the same for the Ford Explorer, i think they made news by cutting 30,000 American jobs.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 PM

dude stop back pedaling, your original comment is what i commented on, and it was all wrong. Explorers suck, thanks jeff for letting mr know it all know something new, my point exactly. besides did you not see that the Honda Ridgeline won like a million awards, and i think truck of the year if I'm not mistaken, so i think someone in Honda is making the truck right. Sorry cant say the same for the Ford Explorer, i think they made news by cutting 30,000 American jobs.
I'm tired of trying to educate you. You never back your flimsy words with facts. You act like a little child on a playground arguing which Yu-Gi-Oh card is the best. All you can do is whine like a little ***** about your opinions. I doubt that you've even driven a Ridgeline, so how can you possible recommend one? Simply said, the Ford Explorer has been THE BEST SELLING SUV FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS. (Read the truth.) That is no mistake.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 PM

From sporty sedan to pickup truck...doesnt make sense to me. It
seems that you dont really know what you want.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 PM

Simply said, the Ford Explorer has been THE BEST SELLING SUV FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS. (Read the truth.) That is no mistake.
I havent read this thread, by bestselling doesnt mean the best qualitywise.
Often the most popular products are not the best, the buying public being
what it is (not terribly bright or informed).
Old 01-26-2006, 09:42 PM

I'm tired of trying to educate you. You never back your flimsy words with facts. You act like a little child on a playground arguing which Yu-Gi-Oh card is the best. All you can do is whine like a little ***** about your opinions. I doubt that you've even driven a Ridgeline, so how can you possible recommend one? Simply said, the Ford Explorer has been THE BEST SELLING SUV FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS. (Read the truth.) That is no mistake.

Again you keep trying to come off by acting like a smart mr know it all but again the FACT that your looking for is Honda Ridgeline is the 2006 North American Truck of the year, and the 2006 Motor Trend Truck of the year. That fact was to dispute your stupid comment on how HONDA is just now making trucks and that they dont know what they are doing and should stick to cars. Next again your saying its the best selling, which does not make it the best. Second its a SUV not a TRUCK. SO AGAIN stop back padaling and get a grip, you came off rude and insulted me and you continue to do so, but in the end your the dumb *** and im done arguing to a dumb Pluck who thinks he knows what he is talking about.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
I can't believe this thread got started. I've been looking at the Ridgeline for about 2 months now. I really didn't like the look at first either but it's gone on me alot. My wife bought a Pilot about 1 year ago and I love driving it. Honda really did a great job with ride quality on their trucks.

Anyway, I'm jealous because I really want a Ridgeline but I only owe $9000 on my '04 Max and I'd rather not assume the additional debt right now because I'm trying to build a bigger house.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The truck really is a complete package.

thanx.. i still have 3 years of payment left, so why not. too bad resale value for the max is ****. i test drove the ridgeline today and damn it's solid. i can't wait to pick one up now..
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by george_rem

why would you say something like that? is there something wrong with driving something thats more suitable for my needs?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:26 AM

Again you keep trying to come off by acting like a smart mr know it all but again the FACT that your looking for is Honda Ridgeline is the 2006 North American Truck of the year, and the 2006 Motor Trend Truck of the year. That fact was to dispute your stupid comment on how HONDA is just now making trucks and that they dont know what they are doing and should stick to cars. Next again your saying its the best selling, which does not make it the best. Second its a SUV not a TRUCK. SO AGAIN stop back padaling and get a grip, you came off rude and insulted me and you continue to do so, but in the end your the dumb *** and im done arguing to a dumb Pluck who thinks he knows what he is talking about.
Oh God, can you be any more serious? You're sole reason for picking a Honda over a Ford is because someone gave it an award? My old Mitsubishi was given the same Motor Trend Car of the Year award, and that was a pile of crap. I believed the hype too when I bought that car used. Then the car blew its engine at 60K, cracked the CV boots every 15K, and the HVAC controls stopped working. Get off your chair and actually test drive the cars that you're recommending. You'll learn. Reviews and professional opinions are for sale. These reviewers get 1 - 5 days with a car, then turn it in. You need to actually experience these things for yourself. And, if you really believed this award crap, you wouldn't be driving a Maxima now, would you?

You still think I know it all? That's funny. But I must not, since I think you still have hope in recognizing your mistakes. Here's the list of competitors to the Ridgeline: Competitors: Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Colorado, Dodge Dakota, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, GMC Canyon, Isuzu i350, Mitsubishi Raider, Nissan Frontier, Subaru Baja, Toyota Tacoma

Did you catch who is 4th in that list? Hmmm? Now I didn't make that list up, it came from a professional review that I had read at Autobytel. So now you can claim that they know it all too.

Hey, I'm sorry if you feel insulted. But you started your rhetoric with "What the hell is wrong with you???" I'm simply playing down to your level. If you want to continue to dispatch the pleasantries, that's fine, or we can debate in a civilized manor. You initiated this discussion, so choose carefully on how you want to continue it.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:15 PM

Just to clarify some points of this thread.....

The Ridgeline is a TRUCK. See Honda's Website for clarification.

The Explorer is an SUV, the Sport Trac is the pickup version of it but it is still listed as an SUV by Ford, check Ford.com The Sport-Trac was discountinued as an 06 by Ford b/c it wasn't selling, not b/c the the idea of an SUV/Truck mix wasn't a good one, its just that Ford couldn't pull it off. It is coming back as a 2007 model later this year b/c of other car makers proved that they could make the SUV/Truck idea work.... like Honda. The Explorer, a MID-SIZED SUV, was the best selling SUV b/c they are purchased as fleet vehicles for businesses and rental agencies and these numbers are combined with their regular, private consumer purchases to achieve those numbers. The same for the Ford F150 and Taurus.

Honda doesn't have to buy its awards, they also just won Motor Trend Car of the Year for the Civic. How much did that cost them? So does that mean you shouldn't buy Honda trucks b/c they make good cars or you shouldn't buy Honda cars b/c they make good trucks??? I'm confused. You can knock Honda for its bland vehicle styling but not for its engineering and craftmanship. Honda started making motorcycles in Japan and they have grown to be one of the top auto manufactures of cars and trucks in the world. I have had 2 Honda Accords (96 and 98) and 1 Acura TL (2002) and they were never in the shop for a repair, only regular service; oil, filters, etc. I also own 1 Honda Lawn mower. (Still runs strong after 5 years.) I guess I shouldn't have purchased that lawn mower since they only make good cars....or was that trucks??

If I were to be in the market for a truck, the Ridgeline and the Frontier would be at the top of my list.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by george_rem

things change. what is wanted today is not always needed tomorrow. i traded in my 04 max with 7900 miles on it for my 05 titan. the need arose for a truck and the max just wasent gonna cut it. i dont need to carry around people, i needed to haul and tow stuff, like my boat, ATV's, oh and tools and just getting to the job sites sometimes. i didnt have or did all this stuff when i bought my maxima but like i said things change.

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
why would you say something like that? is there something wrong with driving something thats more suitable for my needs?

nope nothing wrong with that at all. good luck with the ridgeline
Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Honda started making motorcycles in Japan and they have grown to be one of the top auto manufactures of cars and trucks in the world. I have had 2 Honda Accords (96 and 98) and 1 Acura TL (2002) and they were never in the shop for a repair, only regular service; oil, filters, etc. I also own 1 Honda Lawn mower. (Still runs strong after 5 years.) I guess I shouldn't have purchased that lawn mower since they only make good cars....or was that trucks??

yup, i have a honda lawn mower too that runs excellent, unlike the craftsman we got a few years ago. also my 1983 CR125 is still one of the best bikes i have ever riden. i have no doubt taht my 2005 trx250 will last just as long as my CR has.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
The Ridgeline is a TRUCK. See Honda's Website for clarification.
Not by my definition.... a truck is a truck if it has a full-frame, not a unibody. The Ridgeline is a unibody, therefore not a truck. Sorry, but it's a car with a bed, nothing more. A unibody that tries to tow too much or do any kind of decent off-roading will end up with bent frames, twisted body parts. Make sure you wear safety glasses while off-roading, as your windshield is likely to shatter in your face. Your Maxima stands as good a chance as that Ridgeline going off-roading. At least with the Titan, they knew from experience to stick with the tried and true fully boxed steel ladder truck frame - the American way. That comes from truck experience that Honda ain't got. The idea that the Ridgeline would even be compared with real trucks is just baffling, let alone winning any awards. So that's how I feel about its function... How about its form? Well, the Ridgeline joins the VW Bug as being one of the few cars that looks the same going in reverse as it does going forward.

If you're gonna get a truck bug, keep looking.... and get one that qualifies as a real truck. Or do what you like... but you did ask.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by desmo_dude
Not by my definition.... a truck is a truck if it has a full-frame, not a unibody. The Ridgeline is a unibody, therefore not a truck. Sorry, but it's a car with a bed, nothing more. A unibody that tries to tow too much or do any kind of decent off-roading will end up with bent frames, twisted body parts. Make sure you wear safety glasses while off-roading, as your windshield is likely to shatter in your face. Your Maxima stands as good a chance as that Ridgeline going off-roading. At least with the Titan, they knew from experience to stick with the tried and true fully boxed steel ladder truck frame - the American way. That comes from truck experience that Honda ain't got. The idea that the Ridgeline would even be compared with real trucks is just baffling, let alone winning any awards. So that's how I feel about its function... How about its form? Well, the Ridgeline joins the VW Bug as being one of the few cars that looks the same going in reverse as it does going forward.

If you're gonna get a truck bug, keep looking.... and get one that qualifies as a real truck. Or do what you like... but you did ask.
Thank-you! For a while, I thought that I landed on Mars and nobody knew what I was saying. Honda makes really good engines in their cars, motorcycles (yes I own one), lawn mowers(?!), generators (got one of those too)... Honda motors in general are built like a clock, lasting through time. To me, this shows that once a company locks on to a level of engineering, they can translate that knowledge into many different forms. But Honda cars are no better than the assembly of the whole vehicle. And we've seen with modern Acura's how a transmission under stress can break down that whole level of engineering. I'm afraid with the weights and forces that trucks can generate, the Honda just might not be up to the task. At least for me, they just don't instill the confidence in the engineering needed to address the whole, or to put together a really solid utility vehicle. I don't think they have enough time in this market to know what needs to be strengthened.

This is their initial released to public. They don't have customer collected data. And money doesn’t grow on trees. I start to get doubts, and I don’t love any car manufacture enough to jump right in with my dollar into their first of a kind vehicle. The awards are nice, but those awards are handed out at a "dog and pony" show by a Magazine that Honda will no doubt pay a handsome reward to in advertising. In my eyes, it’s like a blue ribbon on a cow at a fair. That ribbon doesn’t make the burgers taste any better. If I were to buy another truck today, I would still choose from a proven truck company who has learned through trials how to engineer the vehicle in total.

There’s some propaganda on the subject; some of you should take a look at the videos at this web site. Just keep in mind that I know it is biased.
http://www.thetruthabouttrucks.com/
Old 01-28-2006, 12:55 PM

I am sure that Honda did do some market studies that evaluated the needs and demands of the average "truck" owner. What is the percent of truck owners that actually use their pickup truck for "serious" off roading? .00001%? I don't know but its my guess. Most guys use it to haul stuff from the hardware store or put their bikes, camping gear, etc, in it. Your argument that a truck 'needs' a full frame is the same that Jeep supporters said when Lexus, Mercedes, etc started to make SUV's, that true SUVs were originally meant to be able to go serious off roading (Trail Rated) and Jeep has suffered from that stance as the rest of the market has passed them by. I own an SUV and it went off road once, when my wife drove in the grass as she missed the driveway in the snow. The Ridgeline isn't trying to pretend it is a fullsized pickup, it is trying to blend the car like ride (that everybody seems to want), fuel economy, SUV versatility and the cargo capacity (volume- not in terms of weight) of a pickup. I remember hearing grumblings from American truck manufacturers when Toyota built the Tundra and Nissan was building the Titan that the Japanese companies don't have the experience in building these vehicles so they won't be able to compete in the arena. I think that Toyota and Nissan have proved them wrong.

Back to the original question of trading the Max in for a Ridgeline (or any medium sized truck) I think the answer is yes based upon your needs. I know I can't fit a motorcycle in my Max, even with the seats down!!!!! I think once you make the determination of doing the trade then it becomes a decision on what truck most appeals to your tastes. The Honda will serve the owner faithfully for many years of use.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:06 PM
KC's FINEST

both of your *****ing ruined this thread...

Good Luck with the honda if you choose it. you have PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:48 PM

picked up white ridgeline RTL with navi and couldn't be happier. i'll post pictures soon. i will update the price on the f/s thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....81#post4671681

edit: parts price updated
Old 01-30-2006, 02:01 PM

IMHO,

When comparing similar class/model,

Most of Honda/Acura uses better quality interior material than Nissan.
But...
All of Honda/Acura has suck-*** ride quality.... they somehow make their car feel cheaper...

My friend drives an Acura MDX, one day he drove a '01 Highlander and admitted the Highlander is much nicer (even luxrious) in terms of comfort, ride quality, and overall feel. I rode on Honda Pilot one day, and I felt like I was riding an oversized civic with v6 engine in it..... it felt crappy. Honda vehicles lack the comfort... They might feel solid in the beginning... but you'll find them feel rather harsh later on.

I dunno about Ridgeline... but I know that I wouldnt buy a Honda truck/suv... (it reminds me of Honda Passport, a crappy suv... although it's made by Isuzu, Honda still put their name tag on it...)

I'd say, try something else too.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:18 PM

congrats on the new ridgeline. hope you enjoy it
Old 01-30-2006, 03:13 PM

oh darn it... i musta been falling asleep after good lunch :P
grats
Old 02-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Any pics yet?? Just curious to see it. I saw a black Ridgeline today and I thought it looked really good, especially since I like black cars.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 PM

congrats on your ridgeline, and happy towing and moving stuff for your friends now that your the guy with the truck.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
picked up white ridgeline RTL with navi and couldn't be happier. i'll post pictures soon. i will update the price on the f/s thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....81#post4671681

edit: parts price updated
Congrats, don't expect a refund from the Org.