6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan Maxima Spark Plug replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by rmeyers
This job wasn't that difficult with basic tools, just tedius. Risk I saw, is more to do with forgetting something during re-assembly and having to tear it down again, so double check everything :-).

A few tips on the 6th Gen when following the DIY guide for the 03. I highly recommend pulling the windshield wiper tray and frame off, to get at manifold backside. Another difference is the EGR tube (I think) which comes into manifold next to TB. Remove nuts on manifold side, then right side bolt at other end, and only loosen (it is hard to get at) the left side. This allows you to swing pipe away from manifold, so you can lift IM straight up.

I pushed on the TB butterfly to get a better look at the soot. Then read I may have to recalibrate since its fly by wire. Not sure I need to do this, but I did get a Check Engine Light on condition (hasn't reset yet) and wondered if its because I played with the TB. Any comments on this, how to resent CEL, appreciated.

Now to plugs. BTW, car was running great before I changed the plugs. I noticed 3 of the 6 plugs were worn to .08 inch gap, twice the spec gap at .04. I'm amazed it ran like that. I put anti seize on the plugs and dielectric grease on contacts, out of habit.

I didn't have torque specs for plugs or other fasteners, but my default has been with alloy, to keep it to 20-25 ft lbs. Thats snug with a rachet, not muscled tight. The right way is to torque everything to spec, of course.

Lots of dirt around coil tops, so cleaned, and lots of compressed air before removing the plug.

Learned quite alot about the upper engine, took me about 6 hours, was very carefull.

Car is smoother through the rev band, so it is feeling like it is pulling stronger. I'm also seeing more torque steer on WOT in 2nd gear above 4K rpm :-) ...remembering thats how it used to drive when newer. BTW, I have the 6 speed stick.

Thanks to the DIY guide, all the comments, gave me confidence to do it myself...saved about $500 in labour (our rates are $120/hr in Ottawa Canada)
I second everything that was said as I just got done with this on my '04. By far THE worse bolt to get to was the green harness bracket bolt on the passenger side rear of the intake. I left the damn thing off as those wires are pretty set in their ways after 90k and I know I'll be tearing it down again. The windshield wiper tray removal would definitely help but i had no problem going in at those bolts from the driver side. Took some experimenting, but once I had it down, it was cake from there on out.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Why did you change your plugs with such low mileage, they last up to 100 to 110k miles.
That's what I thought too But Nissan is full of it why chance it? My mechanic has told me that in other cars people have waited for the 100k change the plugs actually froze on the block and became a huge issue...Regards of the car that is newer peace of mind vs waiting

Last edited by FenderGuy; 02-11-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

^^^Even though you're super negative on the Maxima, that was very well said I must say.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM

How long did it take you to do it? I gotta do my spacers,spark plug,BOP and PCV
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
^^^Even though you're super negative on the Maxima, that was very well said I must say.
I am because I expected more from the car its not because I hated the car before, I had much respect for Nissan/Infiniti ...G35 was my fav car for a while... But having owned my first Nissan
(last)....This car has torn me a new one with everything Ive had to fix...I fix something ...something new pops ups...I'm over the car..
Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Funny because I have 2 Maximas with a combined age (that I've owned them) 20 years and 372,000 miles and between them and have repalced the following: (except for brakes, plugs, tires, and batteries etc.)

My 95: 1 coil pack, 1 engine coolant temp sensor, 2 starters, 2 crank pos sensors, 1 MAF, and 1 alternator, 1 water pump. Currently has 245k.

On my current 03, only 1 MAF has died, and that was with over 80k miles, currently has 127k.

Also, just purchased my 3rd Nissan, a Pathfinder.

Hope you have better luck in whatever other vehicle you decide to go with next, and sorry to hear your disaster story, I'd jump ship too.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Epic thread.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM
SuPeRmOd

I would still hand tighten in the order, then torque in order.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
I replaced spark plugs in my car and everything went perfect. It took about 4 hours to complete this job. It took 4 hours because there is no way I was able to remove those 2 bolts on back side of manifold until after I removed the plastic panel in front of windshield. May be I was lack of advanced tools to remove them. The manifold gasket was in good shape as you can see in pic 2 however I replaced it according to service manual. Replaced the PCV valve as well. EGR gasket was in good shape so I end-up using the same one. Car is running better with more power and nope this is definitely not a psychological effect. This DIY procedure is not exactly the same for 6th gen maxima but pretty close enough. I did this when car was reading 121k miles and original plugs were not that bad. May be because I always burnt 93 octane from day one, mobil 1 synthetic from 36k miles, and performed seafoam treatment several times. Now all I need is to wash the motor really good.

F--k my hands ache just from looking that this pic. Defiantly not a job for newbs
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 AM

I replaced spark plugs in my car and everything went perfect. It took about 4 hours to complete this job. It took 4 hours because there is no way I was able to remove those 2 bolts on back side of manifold until after I removed the plastic panel in front of windshield. May be I was lack of advanced tools to remove them. The manifold gasket was in good shape as you can see in pic 2 however I replaced it according to service manual. Replaced the PCV valve as well. EGR gasket was in good shape so I end-up using the same one. Car is running better with more power and nope this is definitely not a psychological effect. This DIY procedure is not exactly the same for 6th gen maxima but pretty close enough. I did this when car was reading 121k miles and original plugs were not that bad. May be because I always burnt 93 octane from day one, mobil 1 synthetic from 36k miles, and performed seafoam treatment several times. Now all I need is to wash the motor really good.

F--k my hands ache just from looking at this pic. Defiantly not a job for newbs.. Beware it does take alot of time and patience. Well the first time anyway.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After speaking with Greg through emails, he was very happy and allowed me to create a PDF version of spark plug replacement DIY procedure that he wrote and published on internet for Nissan maxima a while back ago. He was more than happy to have this procedure available to as many folks as possible to save expensive dealers bills. This DIY procedure he wrote was for 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima but can be very useful to replace spark plugs in 6th generation maxima as well. I thought this PDF version is easy to print and save in computer for many folks out there. Please use this at your own risk. Please feel free to leave any feedback.

Download Link
Is there a way to download this link from somewhere other than Rapid Share? I cannot get it to download from this site.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there a place to download the link for replacing the spark plugs other than Rapid Fire. I cannot get it to download. Any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you don't absolutely have to take off the windshield wiper brackets. it's very tight with it in place but it saves an hour in time. I have done a number of spark plugs on the 3.5, the two bolts are a pain but nothing crazy. I put a drop on anti seize on the threads for the two rear bolts so its easier the second time around. The two connectors by the power steering hose are also a pain, but nothing crazy hard. The job looks intimidating at first, but its pretty self explanatory. good luck.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know this an old topic but I just bought a maxima myself and am a very big DIY fan! From what little research I've done I've seen that when you change the spark plugs you have to recalibrate a few things. One being the idle air volume learn. Is there anyway around this or am I understanding everything completely?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Maximus715
I know this an old topic but I just bought a maxima myself and am a very big DIY fan! From what little research I've done I've seen that when you change the spark plugs you have to recalibrate a few things. One being the idle air volume learn. Is there anyway around this or am I understanding everything completely?
You don't have to if you leave the TB connected. Slight tighter space, but you can maneuver it out of the way if needed.

I've done it even leaving it connected to the IM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM

I did it, it's ok, just do it well..
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
you don't absolutely have to take off the windshield wiper brackets. it's very tight with it in place but it saves an hour in time. I have done a number of spark plugs on the 3.5, the two bolts are a pain but nothing crazy. I put a drop on anti seize on the threads for the two rear bolts so its easier the second time around. The two connectors by the power steering hose are also a pain, but nothing crazy hard. The job looks intimidating at first, but its pretty self explanatory. good luck.
Yes, you DO have to take the wipers, and then cowl panel off to get to it. Those of you geniuses, who claim you have skipped this step, must be dreaming right now.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Oh and by the way, since you are doing the plugs already, don't forget to put new valve covers (no cover gasket on these models, you have to change covers, adn they are not very expensive (dealer part).
Also, give yourself a favor and change O2 sensor while manifold is off. If O2 sensor fails down the road, you'll have to pull manifold again to get to it.